Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark GDK and compatibility with DB Pro Add-ons, and its frequency of being updated

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 00:07 Edited at: 10th Feb 2007 00:17
I really like the idea of Dark GDK (both C++ and .NET versions). Something like this is really needed when compiling large applications instead of using DB Pro.

I also like the many enhancement packs that have come out for DB Pro (e.g. Dark Shader, Dark Lights, Dark A.I., etc.). After reading some of the forum posts about Dark Shader, it does not appear as if these add-ons are directly compatible with Dark GDK, and that special versions of them need to be created to work with Dark GDK. Is this how it is for all your add-on/enhancement products? Are there tools available for customers to convert these from DB Pro versions to Dark GDK versions of these products?

Are updates to DB Pro written in C++? If so, why is there a lag between updates to DB Pro and updates to Dark GDK? Will this situation change in the future?

Once you've switched to creating DX 10 versions of your products, will Dark GDK.NET be the only version of Dark GDK that is updated?

[MOD Edited] Could you please enlighten me on the above, thanks.
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 11:45
Dark Shader is now fully compatible with the GDK ( only C++ version for now ). More details here http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=99464&b=22

We are looking into the the possibility of preparing some of the expansion packs for the GDK. Quite often the code needs some minor adjustments so that it will work in the GDK and then of course there is a great deal to be done in converting documentation and sample projects.

DB Pro and the GDK share the same source code however, there are some minor differences. This may mean some functionality from DB Pro may not make it into the GDK straight away. We are working on this and the updates are going to be more regular in the future.

Both versions of the GDK have a bright future and will continue to be updated. For now these products will continue to use DirectX 9.
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Both versions of the GDK have a bright future and will continue to be updated. For now these products will continue to use DirectX 9."

This is really good news. I, personally, really appreciate the effort and visibility you have been giving the GDK of late. Keep up the good work!

I have vague plans for World Domination
Neglected
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes! I like to read this, it makes GDK more worthy!
If it had the same addons as DBPro, it would be absolute rock'n'roll!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 09:30:47
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 09:30:47