Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / maya users read this

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2007 12:32
Maya users heads up.

THe Maya DirectX exporter exports as a RAW uncompressed X file. If you export from maya as .x and import into milkshape then export again to directX, you will half your file size.

pdidy
Years of Service
User Offline
plz check ure mail butters ime desperate .
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2007 17:02
Interesting Butter. You guys have no check for compressed or uncompressing?
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2007 09:24
Just wondering.... why would you want to go from Maya to Milkshape? Can't FPSC read the format Maya exports directly?

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2007 09:36
FPSC should read .X ascii no problem, DBPro can handle it. Quite a handy format if you need to change a texture, as you can just load it into notepad. I'm guessing Milkshape only exports in compressed .X format.

''Stick that in your text and scroll it!.''
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2007 20:44
Yeah, FPSC reads Maya .x exports fine. it's just that theyre LITERALLY twice the size. I made a generator thingy, that weighed in at 1.1mb from a maya export. Same one from Milkshape, 514kb.

Maybe there's something I'm missing (the exporter isn't very well documented).

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2007 21:00
Butter, have you tried asking this question(cause I'm not sure if you have to use a plugin which may not be covered by Maya forum) in a setting like CG society, or something of that ilk where you have many professionals around with many of the same size concerns even if not for a gaming engine?

Terry had a similar problem with whatever software he(or other contributers) used for the walls in Signs4. The walls were extremely bloated in comparison to the arch wall I did for him.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 05:30:56
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 05:30:56