Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2007 09:31
I bought Dark Physics and Dark AI the other day. And I was little disappointed in the vehicle physics. I ran the simple demo Vehicle and realized that when the vehicle turned sharply it appeared roll into a turn instead of out of a turn.

Then I created a second vehicle in the simulation and had it run in circles. When I crashed into the other vehicle it seemed when the vehicles crashed they would spin in odd way.

So I ran the debugger, and found out that the vehicle center of mass was way below the vehicle. After thinking on it a while, I think it was kinda a cheat to make the vehicle self upright.

I think the mass below the vehicle is causing my abnormal behavior, And I cant find a rememedy for it.

Has anyone seen this behavior? Have you been able to fix it? Is there a hidden command moving the center of mass.

Thnaks
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2007 10:37
I couldn't get around it, personally. The vehicles looks nice, but they'll roll over without much turning force at all. Totally unrealistic and unusable. I can see why they'd use a hacked center of gravity, but it just causes problems.

I simulated vehicles in my compo game with character controllers. I was pretty pleased with the results, and they can't roll over unless they crash, in which case the wheels pop off and the body turns into a physics body.

All of the little gimmicky things with Dark Physics don't seem to work well at all - particles, fluids, vehicles, character controllers. Luckily, it's the best rigid body simulator available, period. It's even faster than NGC collision.

Come see the WIP!
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
I think they need to drop support for things like character controllers and special vehicle commands and give us more control so we can just build all our own vehicles/players and apply forces the way we want. Allow us to decide which properties we want on our objects (such as whether they can flip or even take force from collisions and stuff)

Sometimes the only way over a wall is to pile up enough bodies to climb over - Dave W.
ale870
Years of Service
User Offline
I had the same problems.
I started to study vehicle physics, but I did not get any positive results.
I'm very angry, since I spent some money just to get... nothing. They said I could successfully create and use vehicles, but vehicle behaviour is ugly and unrealistic

I'm planning to implement my game using Beyond Virtual (http://www.beyondvirtual.com).

Thank you.

--Alessandro
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 08:45
ale870, it is certainly possible to use DBP and DarkPhysics to create good vehicles. You need a good understanding of DBP and the physics in order to do so. I think I made good use of vehicles in my compo game, and I was just scratching the surface. If I were making a racing game, I would use a similar technique, but there are so many things that I could do to make it amazing. As far as physics go, Dark Physics is unbeatable.

Come see the WIP!
ale870
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello Cash Curtis II,

I was looking for help about vehicles, since I needed it to make my game. I found a lot of problems, I found many people with similar problems, but I did not find any solution.
It seems there several issues about Ageya->DBPRO module.

Since for my game, realizing a good vehicle physic is the base of the game self, can you help me to clarify some concepts? Can you help me to implement a good vehicle physic (realistic vehicle)?

Thank you for your help!

--Alessandro
DTsine
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 23:44 Edited at: 17th Feb 2007 23:48
Quote: "Have you ever wanted to create a racing game? Well now you can by utilising Dark Physics. A set of commands exist for taking vehicle models and setting them up in the simulation. It has a great deal of flexibility that allows for the creation of all kinds of scenarios such as driving simulations and racing games. It won't be too long before you can be driving around a terrain performing power slides and skids, or perhaps you fancy driving round a race course at high speed, or maybe you want to create a stunt circuit and have vehicles that drive up ramps and have to go through obstacles. All these possibilities are available to you by using Dark Physics."

Now I am not saying it cant do these things but it certainly cant be done with the current vehicle commands and I didnt buy DP to have to go roound making my own vhicle physics I got it cause its supposed to be built in which it isnt well not to the standards that they claim anyway.

I think personally TGC are lucky they never got pulled up for false advertising!

Maybe TGC can comment or maybe trading standards would be interested ?

Rich
GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2007 00:10 Edited at: 18th Feb 2007 00:25
has anyone got a demo game I can play?

I was gona buy DP for vehicle movement but now I think this thread has put me off

I was also interested in making a flight sim can it simulate lift,stall and other aircraft characteristics?

http://www.KumKie.com http://bulldog.servegame.com
DTsine
Years of Service
User Offline
Dont buy full stop not at the moment anyway, if your buying cause you think you can just pop in a few commands and it will do it for you it cant not yet anyway.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2007 17:21
DP can do anything you want. The problem is with some of the features that automate various things. If you are willing to write some code yourself to accomplish those things, DP can do anything.

Come see the WIP!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 06:20:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 06:20:43