Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / GUI Design Request

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2012 10:59 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2012 14:10
Intro

I'm very close to releasing a tech demo of the game PonyCraft I've been working on for the last 4 months. The WIP thread can be found here.

As you can see in the following video, the GUI in the game looks pretty crappy.

What I need is the whole thing to be re-designed. This would just include the buttons and the underlying panel.

Style

The game is dark/grim dark, it is not science fiction - far from it - but there's a lot of dark magic and mythical creatures involved. The entire game is centered around a dark cloud absorbing any living creature it touches and converting them into tainted, lifeless zombies, with dark cloudy mass seeping out of their every pore.

Having something along the lines of a storm cloud theme would suite the panel best.

Requirements

The format should be a transparency supporting format such as PNG.

1) 1 GUI panel, style is described above.

* The panel must have space for a minimap, unit information, a portrait, and a grid of buttons. Example.
* The entire panel must be 1600 pixels wide and a maximum of 300 high. The height can be less if needed.
* The minimap must be 250x250
* The button grid must have space for 5x3 buttons (15 in total)
* Each button is 64x64

2) 1 Base Button, should match the panel's style

* Each button is composed of 4 images
--> Normal state
--> Mouse-over state
--> Mouse clicking state
--> Locked (unclickable state)
* Button dimensions are 64x64

Credit

You will of course be placed in the credits of the game.

If anyone could lend a helping hand on this matter I'd very much appreciate it. GUI design is something I'm just awful at and could really use some help.

TheComet

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2012 11:53
It's not sci-fi but you're a pony fighting a cloud that turns magical and mythical creatures into zombies? Hmmm..

"You're not going crazy. You're going sane in a crazy world!" ~Tick
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2012 18:14
Pretty much, yep.

Anyone at all?

TheComet

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2012 19:51
Quote: "Anyone at all?"

I'll try... (*says the tiny voice at the back*)

Can't promise anything but I'll try. A question though: Is it okay for the panels to have unique borders or must they be re-sizable (ie: 4 corner tiles and 4 "edge" tiles that can be stretched/tiled indefinitely)?

RP Functions Library v1.0

My signature has not been erased by a mod.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2012 20:23 Edited at: 10th Dec 2012 20:23
The panels can have unique borders.

I forgot to mention this, but the whole panel can be split up into multiple images if required as well.

Thank you so much for giving this a shot! If you have any questions, just ask.

TheComet

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2012 12:26 Edited at: 12th Dec 2012 12:32
Okay, I came up with a few ideas but scrapped the most of them because they just don't seem to fit. I did try to avoid the sci-fi look and have clouds. Anyhow I finally came up with a decent rough idea last night and cobbled together a sort of preview so you could give me more or less an idea what you think (Note, this is quite rough. I'm not too happy with the placement yet for starters).

Oops didn't label the image.
Buttons (border, button):
Normal state: Blue, blue
Hover: Cyan, blue
Click: Cyan(coz hovering), white
Not Clickable: Red, Red

Questions:
1) Could you let me know the sizes you want the portrait and info panels to be.
2)
Quote: "...the whole panel can be split up into multiple images if required as well...."

Do you mean the Dash board must be in separate pieces or simply that I can make it in separate pieces?
3) Colour scheme, shapes, design etc? What's yay, what's neigh? More what, less what?
4) If it can/must be broken into separate components, must GUI be solid? Was thinking that a gap world give players more visible "screen" (The thing my friend moans about most with games).

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 12th Dec 2012 12:52
nonZero - Very nice!, but the top left corner maybe fix that bit

I love that design!

Looks like this might be in the bag

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2012 19:25
Oooh, nice to see this!

Quote: "1) Could you let me know the sizes you want the portrait and info panels to be."

It's basically up to you, but if you want my opinion I'd shrink the info panel a bit on the Y axis (perhaps 20-30 pixels), and shrink the portrait a bit as well so it's level with the info panel.

Then I'd stretch the info panel wider so the spacing between each element is only about 20 pixels.

Quote: "Do you mean the Dash board must be in separate pieces or simply that I can make it in separate pieces?"

It doesn't have to be split up, but you have the option to.

Quote: "3) Colour scheme, shapes, design etc? What's yay, what's neigh? More what, less what?"

Based on feedback from the team and my own, here are some points:

-It would be a good idea to quickly sketch a few more so we can really pin down the layout and style
-The sharp edges make it look a bit sci-fi, rounded edges/asymmetrical shapes would fit better.
-Definitely play around with more rounded shapes
-Clouds are a good start, they'll have to look more realistic in the final version
-Non-clickable buttons would look better dark purple. The other colours are fine

For an idea for different shapes, maybe something along the lines of this would fit : http://www.milesnurse.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/wizard-defense-gui.jpg

Quote: "4) If it can/must be broken into separate components, must GUI be solid? Was thinking that a gap world give players more visible "screen" (The thing my friend moans about most with games)."

Hmm, you know what? That might actually look much better. Give it a try. Just make the areas you want gone transparent.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2012 21:20
Yes sir, I'll do my best!

Quote: "It would be a good idea to quickly sketch a few more so we can really pin down the layout and style"

Shall I make a rar of them and just mail them (and any other related questions/comments/etc) to you? It'll be somewhat easier than uploading it here and communicating post by post. I'll assume your forum email's correct (if not or if you'd like me to use a specific file-sending method/upload place, drop me an email (my forum address is correct; public[dot]roundphoenix[at]gmail[dot]com)).
Kay then what I'll do is make some placement stencils first and then when the layout is more or less settled, I'll fit the designy-arty side into it (which I'll be working on in the interim to optimize operations for best time consumption).
Btw, fair warning in advance: Tomorrow is my birthday (sadly) and I'll prolly only be able to get anything meaningful started by the afternoon so I might not deliver until tomorrow evening/next day morning* but I shall do my best.

*Times to GMT (well, GMT -02:00 but still).

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2012 23:09
Awesome!

Raring them (wtf) would be the easiest way I think. My forum e-mail is correct (alex[dot]murray[at]gmx[dot]ch).

Also:

TheComet

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 01:03
@NonZero
We share the same birthday!

Shh... you're pretty.
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 12:03
@TheComet:
Aw shucks, you shouldn't have. I'll never delete that image
... Damn, I'm getting soft.

Btw, sorry it's a little tardy (*TARDY!!!*) but I was still in -verbose mode when writing the information txt files.

@Obese:
You're kidding! Please tell me you weren't born on a Friday, coz I was. In fact...

I was born on Friday 13th December and my human name is Jason. Kami-sama has a sense of humour alright.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2012 11:59
Damn, I was tardy now as well. I've been sick for 2 days (still am).

I looked through the sketches you did (what the hell is 02 supposed to be? xD) and the layout looks good. I've sent you an e-mail answering the other questions you had.

TheComet

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 08:39:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 08:39:24