Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Where would I post about looking for team mates?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2007 23:26
WIP is the only place that makes sense to me to post asking for help making a game idea come to life. I have a lot of resources available to me these days that I didn't have back when I first wrote this game. For one, I have a web server now that I don't anticipate expiring any time soon. I could set up a blank new PHPBB forum for this project on the server. It would have it's own section on the site. It could be updated by files on the site. It could be multiplayer running off files on the site to a certain degree.

I am proficient around the BASIC code but not at all around 3D. I have a friend who is good in 3D development that I am trying to reestablish contact with to see if he is interested in the project. We are both in our late 20's now and game development is still an interest of ours. Ideally we would construct a team of at least 5 people, since people's talents vary. I am a musician before I'm a programmer so I can make all new music and sound effects myself. I can work around core programming for just about any element but I personally don't have any 3D software or know-how on the animation / modelling end. I could do some mapping but not without some utilities to help. I used to make maps for Quake 1 back in the day so I understand basic map making. =)

I thought we could start simple so as not to feel overwhelmed with a big project. I have a lot of ideas and a good start on a storyboard. We could start out with a player in a locked room like a bedroom and slowly add in the interaction with items and objects and open up more of the map environment as it gets developed. Aside from being in 3D I also want to add in some 2D gameplay like using a computer terminal. The original game was designed in all 2D and was about hacking computers. I'd like to just add that in as a feature rather than base the whole game around it. The storyboard has the game setting roughly 400 years in the future so anything could happen between now and then and that leaves room for play in the storyline. We could even incorporate space travel later to go to new locations.

I've always had fun playing games but over the last few years it just feels like a waste of time to me. I am creative, always have been, and I think I have more fun developing one than playing one. I'm not looking to make a fast-paced FPS but rather, an FPS that's more civil and realistic at least in gameplay and NPC interaction.

I would ask for help in another development community but as I have found DB easier to program and just about as useful I will be developing in DB which means I need help from other users of the DB compiler. I have a couple of friends who might be able to help with media, content, models, animations, textures, etc but I need a couple friends who know the BASICs =)

I know there are utilities around here and if I can muster up the scratch I might get the FPS creator or something to help but right now I don't have that. I do have a couple great text editors though and experience in the code. The storyline is not set in stone but there are some guidelines to direct the general flow of it. I am willing to personally offer up something in trade for help on this also, one thing that comes to mind is some server space (mirroring important files for you), or possibly help in web site development since I have finally got the basics of PHP, CSS and SQL under my belt. Or perhaps I could mail you a CD or something =)

I could write about this forever but I'll cut it off for now. For more information, please contact me. I can be reached from my web site, on yahoo messenger, by email or on my forum.

Web:
http://www.aaronmann.com

Forum:
http://z10.invisionfree.com

Yahoo:
aaron.mann@yahoo.com

Email:
am@aaronmann.com

Cheers mates, thanks to all who have helped keep DB alive all these years, I first started using it in 2000 roughly and I've made all kinds of nifty little things with it ranging from hardware testers (used to own my own computer business) to portfolio viewers to lottery number generators, to CD multimedia enhancements (auto-runs), installers, a simple account manager something like Quicken, and etc. .. I should have made myself an FPS creator, or a map maker like JoshK's C.S., I would be a lot better off right now had I done so. =)

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2007 23:40 Edited at: 10th Jun 2007 23:42
Quote: "Where would I post about looking for team mates?"

Right here ... but only when you've got something worth them joining. Until then, we'll happily help answer any questions about the language that you have.

PLEASE READ THIS LINK - for details on a 'team request' post

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2007 00:28
DarkDev.co.nr has a team requests board

aaron mann
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2007 01:20
Thanks, I appreciate the help =)
I don't have anything to start with, I'm hoping to start something new with a new crew. I'll check out the other forum ...

The skin there does look nice. The place doesn't look too busy, would I even be welcome to post a new team req

aaron mann
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2007 01:50
Thanks Ian. I guess my request at least counts for posting since it went up, as far as I know, since my account is still new, my posts still have to be approved. I think I just got past that though, yay! Thanks for the link though, the page certainly is useful and yes I had overlooked it. Since that post seems to repeat having 'tangible work to show for it, not just an idea' I will offer the link to the classic version of this game. Keep in mind that you probably won't even like playing it, I wrote this way back in 2000/2001 in just a few weeks, in part-time work chunks.

http://aaronmann.com/cyber/CyberC_classic.zip

I believe the source files are included in that. Please don't use that source code as a reference to how I code these days, I've come a long way since that was written. That was my first game in DB and it's horribly annoying to play but some of the text displayed does make for a good laugh =)

I do have a good storyboard for this game and tons of ideas. I'm capable in coding through BASIC I just can't do anything in 3D at this point. I was working on a rebuild of this game but the only way I could do it alone would be to do it in 2D, text and sprite based but I'm afraid that those games are way past their prime. I do have scrambles of code toward a 2D re-write of this game but I don't want to show any of those because I would get laughed at since they are so incomplete.

I have another thread for this here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=106910&b=8

I suppose that thread is for the 2D rebuild where this one is to test for interest in a 3D rebuild instead. I suppose I have some more research to do anyways. I probably should have waited to post anything here but I feel that as long as I hide with this idea it will never get done right. I'll tinker away at this idea and see how far I can get on my own. CHances are I will post any news about it on my site rather than here. I don't want to be the forum spammer =)

Diggsey, that foum skin DOES look nice =)
but the board doesn't look very busy. Would I even be welcome to post a new team request there? It looks like the home of another project.

I am setting up an invision board for CyberC right now. It will be located here:

http://www.aaronmann.com/cyber/terminal

The pages for the site in relation to the game will be one directory up once there is something worth making pages about. =)
Right now I guess I need a simple room to start in but not one so small as to feel clostophobic in. Heh, and a character of sorts. If I had a basic core or engine to work off of I could probably have something basic no problem.

I suppose I will hope my pleas for assistance get read here and someone goes to that forum to discuss this project, as I don't really want to bog down the DB community forum with all the planning chatter. If you are interested in starting this project with me then please contact me off this board. If you have some general guidance to offer me then your reply here is very welcomed. I've been out of touch with this community for years but I don't suspect I will ever abandon this game idea.

Does anyone know of a good utility, tool or program to assist with making a simple 3D room? I remember Josh's Inca and just looked at the most recent post he made about it. Downloaded and took a peek in it but that doesn't really help me get inside it. Josh if you're reading I could use at least a little direction to getting started. I would feel like a noob if I started in coding the basics from scratch, spent weeks on it only to find out there was something already available for assistance.

Sadly, I can't afford FPS creator right now but that looks like the quickest and simplest way to get up and running something 3D in DB. If it at least adheres to the way mainstream games ~look right now then there could even be a market value in this and I would be willing to keep the source closed and respect any of the author's wishes be them individually or as a group whole.

Ok, enough, I'm jumping off here. I have email notifications for this thread but again, I encourage interested parties to locate the Cyber Terminal for more in-depth development discussions. I'm trying to be as realistic as possible and not setting any high bars, goals or standards. I just want to get something simple started and I know I will need some guidance to do it.

Thanks again in advance,

- Aaron

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 20:46:34
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 20:46:34