Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / DarkMapper v1.0: A 3D world builder

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 20:12 Edited at: 9th Feb 2008 14:11
DarkMapper

Before I get sued for using "Dark" in my name, please say if I can't use it and I will change it. I have no intentions of selling this.

DarkMapper is a world building application for easily creating worlds, texture them and place objects on them.

Current features:
Intuitive GUI using separate windows instead of cramming everything in one window.

Overview: an overview of all objects and worlds.
Tools: all tools in one window, changes depending on selected object
Textures and Brushes: textures and brushes, easily loaded, easily deleted, easily selected
World creation: Create worlds with ease (Not yet functional, although I can create worlds withing the source code)
Object creation: Create objects. Load in a reference list, and copy as many as you want. Scaling beforehand is also possible.
Entity editor: edit entities of your objects and worlds with ease.
Heightmap importer: import a heightmap of your choice.
Export: export your work to DBP's object format .dbo files and load them into your game.
Open/Save your projects in DM's own .dmf files. Textures, worlds and objects are not saved in this file for avoiding a terrible lag. Instead, the world objects and textures are stored in a folder called after the project's name. Object references, textures and brushes urls are stored along with the information of all objects and worlds.

Mouse controls: all tools + camera panning/free movement (although I had to use shift to allow moving backwards with the camera).
Snap to grid feature. Like in any decent world editor.
World tools like Flip X, Flip Z, Invert height and convert to object.

Use the maps MediaTextures,Brushes,Objects to make DM load these along with the startup.
You can associate image files with object references. These are saved on ending the program.
These image files are copied with the export file.

functional TOOLS

ALL
Select: Select a world or an object
Move: Move the selected world or object
Resize: Resize the selected world or object

OBJECT
Rotate: Rotate your objects by grabbing the rotation circles (red = x axis, green = y axis, blue = z axis)

WORLD
Hill: Sculpt your terrain with a hill. There are two types:
-> Hill: An ordinary hill. Based on a sine wave (nice curve)
-> Cone: A hill in the shape of a cone.
Plateau: Highten a part of your world.
Path: Create a path in your world. Alter height with the scrollwheel.
Randomize: Randomize a part of your world. You can alter the randomize level with the scrollwheel.
Smooth: Smooth your world after you randomized it. Work away all edges. Change percentage with the scrollwheel.
Texture: Choose a texture, choose a brush, choose a radius and hardness and start drawing on your world. You can paste directly on the world using the mouse. Use the soft brush for soft edges.

DM in action:

Export options.

Exported into DBP (Very simple project. 2 seamless worlds and 3 crate objects positioned and rotated).

ATTACHED: The latest DarkMapper v1.11

It's the programmer's life:
Have a problem, solve the problem, and have a new problem to solve.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Fud
Years of Service
User Offline
You have my permission to use the word "Dark" in your title.
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 22:55
good work. Two things i need to know though:

1. Does it support entities?

2. Will you release it?

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 23:58 Edited at: 4th Dec 2007 23:58
Two things i need to know:
1.what formats will it support?

2.Is it Free?
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 00:36
Two things I need to know:

1) This is awesome

2) Can you set data for objects that can be checked when you load it into your game

3) This is awesome

"It's like floating a boat on a liquid that I don't know, but I'm quite happy to drink it if I'm thirsty enough" - Me being a good programmer but sucking at computers
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 19:09 Edited at: 5th Dec 2007 19:23
Kaedroho

Quote: "1. Does it support entities?

2. Will you release it?"

I will look into adding entities (Since I never really understood what they are lol)
And yes I will release it.

Quote: "
1.what formats will it support?

2.Is it Free?"

I will try to add every format I can find. But as I wrote, I will leave that for later, since alot of features will be added.
And yes it will be free.

Quote: "Can you set data for objects that can be checked when you load it into your game"

I could add that. But as I said, I will handle exporting and importing files for later, when more features are added.

- Update -
I added the ability to "link" worlds with a group parameter. When you edit one world, and the cursor overlaps another world of the same group, the other world will also be edited. You can't adjust this within the editor yet though. But it's on my list.
I also added the ability to add worlds. With this feature enabled, I guess I could upload the version I have till now.
Please report bugs if you take the time to test my program!

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 19:13
Sven! I remember this!

It's great to see you finally released this; it looks amazing. If I hadn't lost DarkModeler in the harddrive incedent, I would love to see these go side by side as planned
But this still looks really great! Keep up the great work!

btw... go on MSN.

Productivity on Hassassin has increased tenfold.
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 02:12
Downloading.....
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 21:02 Edited at: 6th Dec 2007 21:16
- UPDATE -

You can now choose group from 1 to 100 for your worlds. Worlds from the same group will be altered together. The randomize and smooth function don't go smoothly from one world and another though...
I deleted the worlds and objects automatically created at the start.
Some bug fixes...
You can change a world or object's name
Don't worry too much about the object position when changing an object's world.

Any feedback is welcome!
Attached is the download file with the executable.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 21:08
Looks very nice and intresting.
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 12:54
- UPDATE -
Sorry guys, no download this time.

I completely rewrote the randomize and smooth engine. DBP crashed with worlds of 50x50 tiles when randomizing and smoothing. It also calculated a randomize value for each tile of each separate world. This resulted in ugly cuts between worlds.
Now it stays seamless.

The houses and objects are downloaded from TurboSquid, the crate textures are from JohnH (downloaded from the 3D chat), I have no idea where I got the grass, rock, metal, ... textures, but the snow texture is from this site: http://www.spiralgraphics.biz/packs/snow_ice/index.htm

I moved the worlds a bit to show what I mean. You can just go from one world to another of the same group with your tools (group 0 means the world has no group => stands alone), which wasn't the case with the randomize and smooth tool in the previous version.

I also implemented Cloggy's D3D dll. For now, I only use it to draw an axis at 0;0;0, but I'm thinking of more ways to use it (the famous Gizmo's of 3DS-max for example).

I tweaked the move tool a bit. An objects will now be positioned ON its assigned world.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 14:21 Edited at: 8th Dec 2007 14:23
Awesome
I really like how you cut your terrains now we can have awesome looking terrains with good fps

Also for entities (data objects) you should look into inca pro 3dws map loader code.. Maybe you got the idea what we are after
Entities are really useful in maps.

Click For Details!

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 22:32
Sweet!

When will you add height map support?

Productivity on Hassassin has increased tenfold.
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 10:42 Edited at: 9th Dec 2007 11:13
A little peek:

I managed to detect which triangle is selected, or which axis (so the available movements would be X, Y, Z, XY, XZ and YZ)

Quote: "When will you add height map support?"

Well, height map support is export and import. So I will add that later. For now, functionality comes first.

After this, I will have to add: tilting, texturing and rotation for objects (for rotation I've got something like 3DSmax in mind again), then entities, then option menu.
After that, I could either add more extra features, or start with exporting and importing. But in any way: Heightmap support is definately on my list To Do.

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 20:22
- UPDATE -

Added the Rotate tool for objects. Uses always a gizmo rotate.
Fully added the Gizmo compatibility for moving objects as well. If you want to turn off the gizmo's, open "DarkMapperPreferences.ini" and change "Gizmo = 1" to "Gizmo = 0" or delete it (Gizmo's are turned off by default).
Because I added the D3D DLL by Cloggy, I achieved some nice effects regarding axis, rotation circle and gizmo axis display.

The rotation was quite a pain, but thanks to LowerLogic's rotation functions (he had a WIP on it a while ago), I was able to make quite a cool method for rotation.
If you ever get stuck with rotating, press "r" while rotating and the object will reset it's rotation to 0,0,0. You can retry as many times as you want.

I won't display all images since this page is getting quite loaded with images. 1 will do, the rest are links.

This world consists of 5 worlds (4 for the main land, 1 for the water), and 8 objects (2 houses, 1 warehouse and 5 crates).

An example of the gizmo for moving:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/SvenB/DarkMapperGizmoMove.jpg
An example of the rotation:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/SvenB/DarkMapperGizmoRotate.jpg

Some others:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/SvenB/DarkMapper8.jpg (close up from the little town)
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/SvenB/DarkMapper6.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/SvenB/DarkMapper5.jpg (these two were before this update)

I also released this update. Please report any bugs if you take the time to download.

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2007 11:03
I decided to leave the texturing of objects and tilting for later, and start with entities and heigthmaps (on request).

I looked up entities, and don't quite understand what they are... (Yes I know it's a shame)
What I do understand is that it is used to store data like spawning points, trigger events, etc.

But I still don't know how it should be exported. Do I need to export a separate file containing all entities? Or are they saved within the file with the object?
I saw at the Inca Pro demo that the entities were stored as limb names. Is that the normal way to store entities?

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2007 14:57 Edited at: 12th Dec 2007 15:30
Thanks!! I download it now.

Quote: "
But I still don't know how it should be exported. Do I need to export a separate file containing all entities? Or are they saved within the file with the object?
I saw at the Inca Pro demo that the entities were stored as limb names. Is that the normal way to store entities?"

What i think they are limb names with params and etc. I think you can use the Inca Pro tokenizer to get the limbs and so on. Dbo format supports limbs/entities nicely

Edit:
Movement around map was quite pain really :E Other things was really well done. Could you add wasd movement andif you hold shift you can move faster.

Click For Details!

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2007 17:58
Quote: "Movement around map was quite pain really :E Other things was really well done. Could you add wasd movement andif you hold shift you can move faster."

I will improve the camera movement. I agree it's probably easier for the user to simply use the arrow keys or wasd keys to move the camera around.
I will probably also add something to rotate the camera around the point your cursor is at.

Probably something like:
right mouse button
- move camera with wasd/arrowkeys
- + leftmousebutton: rotate around fixed point
middle mouse button
- pan camera

I have also started developing on the Heightmap import. AND downloaded IanM's utility plugin, which allows me to add limbs and change their names. The future's looking good.

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2007 21:25
- UPDATE -
But no release this time. I wanna get the entity system working first, but it will probably take a while till I get things figured out.

Changed source code to be able to have more worlds, textures and brushes at the same time.
Memblocks are created on the moment, depending on the tool and current object.
No fps loss because I coded it so that it only recreates memblocks every time you
switch to a new world or tool that uses memblocks.

Added the import heightmap.

The texture tool will now be disabled when there are no textures or brushes left.

Added the functions Flip X, Flip Y, Invert height and Convert to object for world objects.
Flip X and Flip Z will flip the height data along the X or Z axis.
Invert height will convert mountains into holes and holes into mountains.
It calculates the difference in height and then inverts it based on the results.
Convert to object allows you to convert a world type object to an object type, once you do this,
you cannot convert it back to a world!

I started on the entity creation window. It's not functional yet!

Are entities treated like objects? Like can they have different shapes.
I am thinking of having one entity for each world, one for each object, and then additional entities that can be placed in the world freely.
But I wonder if entities always have the shape of a box, or can they also be another shape loaded from a file?
Any help on this is appreciated.

Showing the heightmap import window:

wind27382
Years of Service
User Offline
wow I wonder why I have never heard of this till now. secondly it's been awhile since you've posted. so I was wondering if you made any progress.

wind
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 21:35
Well, right now I'm entering the christmas challenge.

So not for a while...

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks awesome Sven.

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2008 15:41
The christmas challenge is over, and I'm back to developing DarkMapper.

- UPDATE -

The entity system has been added.
View > Windows > Entity editor to show the entity window.

Maybe some remarks:
The default entities are loaded from Media\Entities. If you want to add new entities to be loaded with the others, you can just create an extra text file, or write more in an existing text file. The program will load all text files in this directory.
The structure is as followed:

Please do not change the syntax of DefaultEntities.txt. These are entities that are used by the program. You can, however, change the name of the entities. The values should stay the same.

Not only entities are loaded automatically. But also textures/brushes and object references are loaded from the directories Media\Objects, Media\Textures and Media\Brushes.
To add a texture, brush or object, just move an image or object file to the directory.

This is not really an added feature, but just a remark:
You don't HAVE to add every object or texture/brush you're going to use in the specified directory. You can always add any object or texture/brush to the list from within the program.
This is also the same for entities. You can add any entity name and value to the object, even if it is not on the list.
The only purpose is to save time for the user.

The next update, I will include object primitives in the Media\Objects folder.

A screenshot:

Attached the update.

Next:
- exporting to .dbo and native format.
- shortkeys

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2008 15:58
That looks amazing! Defienatly using this to make Flare Engine's 3d World part

Click For Details!
Hayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2008 18:10
Omg, gief!

Thats sweet man
Keep it coming! (or whatever u say when something is nice )

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2008 20:29
Roxas and Hayer, thanks!

Right now I'm adding exporting.

The .DBO export feature is already added, but I'm also working on a save and load feature, which is a bit harder.

I'm closing in. And an update with load/save and exporting will be there in a short while.

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2008 17:06
- UPDATE -

Please check the first post for the latest version of DarkMapper.
I removed all the other uploads.

If you find any bugs, or have any questions, feel free to tell or ask them.

SvenB

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2008 15:00
Ok testing now

Click For Details!
Blood Of The Prophets
Years of Service
User Offline
You've got a great tool here, at the minute I'm creating my heightmap in 3DWS then importing it into DarkMapper where I can texture it and then export the final full texture for use with advanced terrain in DarkGDK. So thanks for the great tool.

Edit: One thing though, why do the textures appear to be blurry around the edge of the map, is it possible to fix this?
icy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2008 04:36
Looks awesome, I think I can use this. Good job Sven.
Dream
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2008 22:01
Looks good will the worlds be able too be imported into fpsc?
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2008 00:06
Quote: "Edit: One thing though, why do the textures appear to be blurry around the edge of the map, is it possible to fix this?"

Well, it depends on what you mean "fix" this. Yes, I can make the blur go away, but then you get for one or the other reason a small gray line at the edge of the world.

I will see if I can find something on it.

Icy,
Thank you!

Quote: "Looks good will the worlds be able too be imported into fpsc?"

Well, fpsc is built with DBP, and DarkMapper can export to DBP's own object format .DBO.

I might add DirectX (.X) support. I saw a DirectX exporter function once on the code snippets forum, and I might check it out.

Thank you for your reply. I just got stimulated again to continue updating DarkMapper.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 04:56
Just downloaded the latest version, and great job! The resizing of objects was a bit frustrating because they jumped to a seemingly random size depending on where you clicked. Also, I couldn't figure out if it was possible to delete objects. Great job so far, I hope you continue .

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 12:06
Gil Galvanti,
You can delete objects by going into the Overview window (ALT + O) and rightclick the object you want to delete > Delete.
I will add a delete shortkey next update.
I'll also see if I can make the resizing a little more handier.

Blood Of The Prophets,
I managed to fix the blurry edges. It seems it was something in the texturing code that made the ugly edges.

Dream,
I looked into Lost In Thought's code for exporting an object to a .X file, but it doesn't seem to work (anymore?). I found this interesting site about the .X file format (retained mode ofcourse) and I will see what I can do to add that feature.

- PROGRESS -

Working points
I tried implementing normal calculation, but the current method is too slow. Set object smoothing is okay for small terrains, but 50x50 is already a 3 second lag.
I might have to make a global map of the terrain and calculate the normal on each point instead of for each vertex. (Which I planned originally).

I'm looking into the DirectX file format structure here:
http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/dataformats/directx/
I expect this to take some time though.

I'm also going to update the resizing. I too have had some problems with the current resizing tool regarding functionality.

Fixes
fixed blurry edges.
added a [del] hotkey to remove objects and worlds quickly.

Note:
The last update contained hotkeys:
ALT + O: open overview window
ALT + R: open object reference window
ALT + B: open textures and brushes window
ALT + W: open world creation window
ALT + E: open entity editor
ALT + T: open tools window
ALT + H: open heightmap window

CTRL + N: new project
CTRL + S: save project
CTRL + SHIFT + S: save as ...
CTRL + E: export

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 17:29
How are you doing your terrains? I'm assuming with memblock matrices? How are you able to texture them so detailed? I'm trying to do the same thing, so if you don't mind, could you help me out here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=119469&b=1

Master Xilo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 19:23
how do you do the textures? memblock images and then make bla... ?

ty
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 19:35 Edited at: 28th Jan 2008 20:24
When you press the texture tool, the program automatically converts the needed images to memblocks. If you then click on the world, it calculates the pixel coordinates based on the cursor position relative to the world position.

After that, you calculate the positions on the world texture image, texture image and brush image.
The new color is based on the old world texture image pixel, the new pixel color from the texture, a greyscale value from the brush image and a hardness factor given by the user.

- PROGRESS -

I found out that the world creation with memblocks is actually not very efficient. I'm going to try to make a small application that will save a DirectX file (which I just learned how to write) and load it back so it will have indices as well.

This should increase the performance, AND enabled the export of DirectX file. I don't expect any difficulties regarding the .DBO export. It will also enable faster normal calculation since you actually have tx*tz verteces instead of tx*tz*6, which means it will have 6 times less verteces.
Looks promising, now let's see if I can make it real.

[EDIT] It worked! Now, the worlds have indices instead of only verteces, which means it will work faster.

icy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2008 05:56
[/b]
Blood Of The Prophets
Years of Service
User Offline
Great news about the .x file saving feature, it should save a lot of time when loading my game.
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2008 18:31 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2008 09:40
Icy,
Your post doesn't seem to contain anything?

Blood Of The Prophets,
Thank you for your input. The DirectX file aren't too complex, but there could be some problems with objects without indices.

- PROGRESS -

The smoothing and randomizing tool has to be completely rewritten. Since I'm using index based objects now, the smooth tool has become too fast. The randomize tool has a pretty weird bug which I can't find, but I guess it has pretty much the same problem as the smooth tool as they use partly the same method.

I noticed, while writing the DirectX exporter, that objects that are not using indices, cannot be exported. I will see if there are any object files that are not using indices and come back with more information later.

[edit] I will be gone for the next week on vacation, so the developement of Dark Mapper will be frozen.
Thank you for your time!

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2008 22:33
This is looking really awesome Sven

I'm learning a lot about memblocks now. It's great. I think I might remake DarkModel now

Sig by BiggAdd.
Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2008 21:43 Edited at: 6th Feb 2008 21:44
Awesome work so far Sven B! Can't wait to keep watching this progress.

Streets of Rage the best 3d beat em up ever check out the wip on apollo forums!
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2008 14:07 Edited at: 9th Feb 2008 14:15
- UPDATE -

DirectX exporting. If you specified a texture for a world or object (world textures are automatically created), this format will contain the correct texture file names.
DirectX does not support entities though.

Rewrote the randomize function. You now control the randomizing level with the level updown gadget in the tool window.
The smooth function is also optimized.

There seems to be one small bug though. One vertex goes to 0,0,0 for some reason. I will fix this later.

Might be not much, but a new brush has been added.

I'm back from vacation too!
Thanks for everyone's reply!

Please report any bugs. Especially regarding the DirectX export. It was alot of work getting it to work.

See first post for the update - the latest version is v1.11

I also thought I'd try some organic models for a change:

Simwad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2008 03:37
Sven, what a great little mapper.

I am having trouble with the exporting of a world with objects. The objects are there alright but they have the texture of the actual map, not for example the crate texture.
I suppose my question is how do I texture the objects in DBPro?

Great Work
wildbill
Years of Service
User Offline
Just noticed this thread. That is some very impressive work.
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2008 15:58
Yes impressive work! Now if you just get that beatiful water animated

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2008 19:11 Edited at: 17th Mar 2008 19:19
Quote: "I am having trouble with the exporting of a world with objects. The objects are there alright but they have the texture of the actual map, not for example the crate texture.
I suppose my question is how do I texture the objects in DBPro?"

Well, the objects exported along with the world are just copies of the object files. This means that if there's a default image file stored in the object file, that file will be loaded on loading the object.

To fix this:
Every object and world exported with the .dbo format has its data stored in their limb names. You have to split the limb name into seperate parts and look for the key "TextureSource=" the following will be the source to the texture.

I might find a way to add entities using another delimeter for the DirectX export (I'm currently using carriage return).

Quote: "Now if you just get that beatiful water animated"

Hehe. Maybe you could do something like that by making another world for the water, and animate it in DBP...

[EDIT] I think I'll post an example with the next update on how to load a DM object in DBP.
Possibly with the DirectX entity support.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2008 23:31
Awesome!!

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-06 16:19:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-06 16:19:30