Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Dark Creator - Cool IDE with built-in internet browser

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 04:25 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2008 22:37
This is a code editor I've been working on for a while now. It's not completely finished, but it's usable. Of course, the editor was originally made to compete with TDK's DarkIDE.
(just kidding!)

It's called Dark Creator! It's not that great, but I'm still working on making it better. You can't save an executable, but you can still run the program. It also has the help files built-in, so you don't have to switch windows just to view the help files. It also has a browser specifically for these forums, as well as a normal internet page for browsing. It additionally has a search bar at the bottom. You can search and replace your code. It's very low-leveled, because the search only finds the first piece of text. Same as the replace. Also, don't use the "New Project" button.

Here's my "To Do List": (NOT listed in priority)
Internet browser
Help files
Auto-running (instead of opening up the normal compiler)
Showing errors
Create Final (and draft)
Built-in tidy (might take a while, but I think I can do it!)
Options menu
Syntax Highlighting

Also, before you ask, it was made in Visual C# 2008 Express Edition. You can get it for free at the Microsoft website.

When you run your program, you'll see the compiler open up. You'll have to wait about a second, then the program will automatically run. When you close the program, you'll have to manually close the compiler.

The download is attached. I'll get up some screenshots also.
---
100 views but so little posts? Please give some feedback.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 04:33 Edited at: 6th May 2008 04:34
Screenshot 1 - The editor (attached)

Kirby is in my avatar because he rules. Live with it!

Attachments

Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 04:35
Screenshot 2 - The browser (attached)

Attachments

NanoGamez guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 19:01
The screen shots look great! However, when I download it an error comes up saying something about 'couldn't find files' or something. I attached the pic of the dialogue box.

What are the chemical formulae of:
Sodium Nitrate, Gallium, Manganese and Einsteinium

Attachments

Code eater
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 20:13
I also get that dialog box
Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2008 03:37 Edited at: 8th May 2008 02:33
Sorry about that! I fixed the download; it should work now.
-----
I got the basics done with changing text colors, so I might be able to get down the syntax highlighting.

Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 22:38
Update! The program was updated. I just want to save this thread before it dies, so if any have you haven't seen it yet, download it now!

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 23:05 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2008 23:06
You guys forgot to extract it.

I extracted it, and ran it, then got this error. I think it is entirely my system's fault:

Title: System Update Required

Inside text:

Unable to instal or run the application. The application requires that assembly WindowsBase Version 3.0.0.0 be installed in the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) first.

PLease contact your sytem adminstrator. (me )

Options: "Okay."

My internet is not fast enough to double post.
Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2008 00:57 Edited at: 4th Aug 2008 01:00
Yes, that probably is your computer's fault. What operating system do you have? Is it Vista or PC (or older...?)

EDIT: I searched for WIndowsBase 3.0.0.0 and found out that the error you got means you need .NET 3.0, which can be downloaded here. So download it, and it should work fine.

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2008 19:09
WoW. The screens look cool, downloading...

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2008 19:17
I'm working on a showing line numbers, but right now it's not working. But I'm really close to making it work!

I'm Sinani201, and I approve of this message.
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2008 03:41
if you go to setup you shouldnt have to manualy download the .net stuff it says its installing .net 3.5 rite now
Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2008 01:11
I've decided to start updating the program again. Right now I'm putting the help files on the side so you can look at them and work on the project. I'm also adding in a "Jump" feature where you can jump to any specific command in the help files.
I'm definitely putting an options menu for this version, as well.

"I reveal my trap card, GEORGE DUBYA BUSH!
America loses 2000 Life Points! America loses." -Deucalion2
DemonHill
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks great, downloaded an ran on my Vista PC with .NET 3.5 but it doesn't compile or fun, has an exception error...
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2008 22:16
Would you at all be able to post the C# files? I'd like to learn a little from them.

~QJ
steve paul thomas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2008 22:28 Edited at: 1st Dec 2008 22:37
Cool looking, although not very functional right now (but understanderable this early on). Looks like it could be a DarkEdit beater if you keep it up

Some ideas for you: (if you're interested)

MDI Interface for Source Files - Would be nice to have either a tabbed interface (like Firefox) or the traditional child windows in the parent window/frame. Just an idea for you

Editor options - Such as being able to set the background colour, the font name, colour, size, etc. Also options for editing the default syntax highlighting (when you implement it). Might be nice to be able to choose your own colours. Also would be cool to be able to export your settings to a file. So you can re-import them easily on another computer.. However, I see editor options is on your todo list already

Noticed these odd things whilst trying it out:

1) Check your About box...
"About Dark Creator Dark Creator"
"Version 1.0.0.0 1.0.0.0"

Also you forgot to put your name in there!

2) I couldn't run dba source - resulted in an exception (but I guess this must be because its still work in progress or perhaps I installed in the wrong place? I extracted to:

"C:\Program Files\Dark Basic Software\Dark Basic\Dark Creator 1.03" and then ran setup.exe.

3) Help Files tab couldn't locate my DB help files. Or did I install in wrong place? (see point 2)

4) On the "Internet page" tab, would it be possible to make the URL box wider? Maybe as long as a web browser address bar?

Other than those points. Nice layout, and well done so far Looking forward to trying out your next release of it

I don't Adam and believe it!
Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 02:59 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2008 03:01
Ummm... yeah... about the about box. I have noticed that problem, but Microsoft is so screwed that the AboutBox template is messed up and does that. Any combination I use to try and fix the about box doesn't work.

Uh oh... my DBC directory is in The Game Creators folder, not Dark Basic Software (the demo is in that folder! lol) Again, I'll have to implement an options menu in order for you to do that.

There is a tutorial for how to make an options menu in the unnecessarily long documentation, but it only tells me how to send simple data from one Form (or window) to another. To make things easier, I might just add an Options tab, along with the other ones. It'll be more convenient for you, and easier for me !

I'll make the URL box wider. It won't be hard at all.

@Quirkyjim
I'll upload 'em. Hold on...

steve paul thomas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 04:57
Cool Perhaps you should put the about info on a tab too, and remove the default about box?

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
@Sinani201

I'm not sure how you are making the About box but if it is a specific function supplied by C#, dump it and create your own from a form. You'd have much better control if you just create your own window with your about info in there.

Enjoy your day.
Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 00:59
Quote: "I'm not sure how you are making the About box but if it is a specific function supplied by C#, dump it and create your own from a form. You'd have much better control if you just create your own window with your about info in there."

Yeah, I guess you're right, I was going to consider doing it, but now I really think I will.

steve paul thomas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 03:24
@Sinani201

Would you like any graphics made for Dark Creator? Logo, icons, etc?

Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 05:23
Quote: "Would you like any graphics made for Dark Creator? Logo, icons, etc?"

If you could make them, that would be great! I could give you a spot in the credits ...

A nice logo would be the DBC Logo (the icon for the program, not the pyramid) with a paint pallet in the corner.

steve paul thomas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 05:55
OK, I'll have a go at that You mean the blue shape? (see attachment) with a paint palette in the bottom-right/bottom left corner?

Attachments

steve paul thomas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 09:00 Edited at: 4th Dec 2008 00:22
OK, finished. The zip archive contains 2 possible logos, a 32x32 icon and an enhanced icon (multiple resolutions). See the readme.txt file for more info.

Attachments

Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2008 05:59
Thanks for the logos! I just put 'em in.

Anyways, here's a sneak peak at the new design I'm working on:

Attachments

steve paul thomas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2008 14:54 Edited at: 6th Dec 2008 15:22
Cool Were they OK? If you need them to be bigger/smaller, be transparent or have any adjustments made then please post a message here.

Also let me know if you need anymore graphics made (button icons,etc).

Its looking very good. Nice integrated help pane Is it a fixed width? Also, the Search/Replace feature is well placed too

Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2008 16:29
Wow! Looks great.

~QJ
Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2008 18:31
Quote: "Is it a fixed width?"

You can change it by clicking your mouse on the barrier between the editor and the help files, and drag it to alter the size. That is the default size, but you can move it.

The icons were fine, I'm adding 'em in right now...

C# is really messed up with transparency for anything.The close minimize, and maximize buttons are really messed up with transparency, even though they were transparent. The top bar for the window is a panel, which is normally gray, but I changed the background image to the blue color gradient. Unfortunately, C# thinks that, if it's transparent, the background should be gray, even though the panel isn't gray, it's the blue color gradient! For now, the background is blue, just to camouflage it in, but hopefully I'll find a way.

I'm having lots of other problems with the program. The buttons in the new top bar work fine, but when the program is maximized, it turns fullscreen ! Also, again, since the top bar is gone, you can't resize or move the window at all! I'm sure there's a way to fix that, though.

So, hopefully I'll be able to fix this. Wish me luck!

steve paul thomas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2008 19:32
Quote: "The icons were fine"

Thats OK then

Quote: "I'm having lots of other problems with the program. The buttons in the new top bar work fine, but when the program is maximized"

Very odd. Good luck with overcoming those obstacles

Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2008 20:48
Maybe if you could supply the source code, someone could help...

~QJ
steve paul thomas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2008 17:17
@Sinani201

How are you getting on with this project? Been a little while since you last posted.

Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 18:07 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2009 18:08
Yeah... it has been a long time.

My computer kind of ummm... well, it's a long story. Basically I lost everything when formatting my hard drive. I was able to back up a lot of stuff, including DB and all of my projects.

One thing I wasn't able to back up was my My Documents folder, which had the Dark Creator source in it. But maybe I did back it up... I'll have to check.

Long story short, I'm re-doing Dark Creator. This is good because I'm hoping to implement things such as classes and other stuff to make Dark Creator easier to make for me, such as fixing bugs, and less-sloppier source code when I post it here. I'm also working on a setup wizard that can be run for the first time to configure the settings, for people who have Dark Basic saved in a different directory then mine.

That's all I have to say for now.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 19:17
You did this in C# and didn't use classes?

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 19:55
Yeah. I started it before I even knew that classes existed.

Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 22:07
The only thing to say is ... HOLY TOLEDO!!!

You know... If you had given me the source code when I had requested it... you could be where you were...

~QJ
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 22:29
oooo, sinani got pwnd!

Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 01:53 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2009 02:04
Errr... yeah. I was able to retrieve the old Dark Creator. I'll post up the source code in a sec.

Also, I forgot to mention that this new Dark Creator is going to have the new Office 2007 look. But first, I have to get some stupid license from Microsoft... it says that it's free, which is good for me... too bad the license doesn't come with any code on how to put it into programs! Here's a quote from the Q&A:

Quote: "What is covered under the UI Licensing program?

The program provides licensees the rights to make their licensed products look and behave like Office 2007. Licensees will receive design guidelines that they will reference in the creation of their own applications. (The program does not involve code or technical specifications and there are no protocols or file formats either.)"

So what's up with that? Meh, I'll find a way.

EDIT: Here's the source. It says it's Dark Creator 2, but it's really the old one. I wont be updating it, but people seem very eager to see it... so here it is. Have fun.

http://www.mediafire.com/?lry0mnljont

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 21:02
That's the Microsoft way, didn't ya know? Why does MS make their software overly complicated when it doesn't need to be? So they can charge corporations tons of money for all the specific training employees need. Don't believe me? Try learning sharepoint designer on your own.

Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2009 02:47
Luckily, I found this SandRibbon software, which apparently looks quite good. I'm thinking of using that instead of some stupid Microsoft thingy. I haven't really trusted Microsoft for a long time, and now they tricked me into agreeing to this stupid license that I don't care about!

Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 01:09
Okay, the mediafire link isn't working for...dunno y. Can u just upload it to the site? Or is it...like...HUGE?

~QJ
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 06:39
Looks really cool! I'm reluctant to download it (as I don't have the .NET 3.5 or whatever that is), but I'm sure once I get my own laptop (which will happen...eventually) I'll install it on there.

Good job, I think it could replace DarkEDIT in years to come.

Wait....what?
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 00:26
NOOOO! Please don't die, thread! Sinani, if you're out there, please...help...it...*clunk*

~QJ
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
@Sinani201

There are alternatives to microsoft products. Lookup XBasic. Not sure if it will run on Vista though - though it's a BASIC that compiles to machine code and it has a built in GUI designer. Also check out Python and BoaConstructor. With a little learning and practice, you can put together a very decent IDE. And Python is a pretty simple language. Also there's Pascal and Delphi. Of course don't forget about C and C++. Get hold of Dev C++. It's free and you can build whatever you want. It also has some examples of Windows interfaces. Get yourself out of the Visual whatever habit and proprietary routes.

Enjoy your day.
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 05:24
is it an external editor for DB or is it an actual copy of db?
spt games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 16:15 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2009 16:20
Quote: "is it an external editor for DB or is it an actual copy of db? "

@travis gatlin

It was an external editor for writing your source code in and it would run, compile, save to .exe etc (by running DB.EXE with the appropriate switch). However Sinani201 seems to have stopped development. Shame really, as it would have been nice to have another dedicated DBC editor.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 03:05:24
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 03:05:24