Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / The Village, a tech demo from Sketchup to FPSC (pics and Demo download)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 00:09
I decided to make another experiment with Sketchup to FPSCreator. This time i made a small, but complete map entirely modeled in Sketchup. I made a quick top down sketch on square paper and made some base texture drafts. Then I made good use of Sketchups modeling and texturing tools to draw the buildings and walls. I did the floor also but fitted the whole level on measures so I could easily swap the floor with segments for better collision in FPSCreator.

(Near the player start)

I grouped all faces sharing the same Material together and exported them to get them ready in entity workshop.

(the piazza)

In FPSCreator i placed them all in the top left tile using segment placement mode (press b twice). Since all entities had the same pivot point they align seamlessly.

(another point of view on the piazza)

Then i threw in some lights, along with some streetlamps from the ww2 pack for touchup...

(a smaller passage)
.. and added my favourite model from the ww2 pack, the burnedout car.

(some faults in the map)

I admit there are some bugs in the map. I made errors in the placement of two windows, and some faces got lost in sketchup ( user error ). One wall is "inside out"(blue face error). But for the time being it's a walkable tech demo of what can be achieved with Sketchup and FPSCreator.

You may ask yourself why i would do it that way and go to the rather complex process of slicing and regrouping instead of using segments? Well, in the first place I really like the natural approach to level design i can take with Sketchup, just drawing the floor plan and push-pull the buildings and stuff, along with the ability to texture and retexture to satisfaction as i go along. And you can go from rough sketching to detail without ever loosing the big picture.
Secondly, there is not much more geometry in the map than what you see up front, which makes the level very small and imho fast even on my stoneage 5200 geForce card.
Third, I just started using this workflow that holds a lot of potential for a more uneven and asymetrical level design which i plan to push further in the future.

Enough talk, the Demo (25 MB .zip) will be available for download in my next posting.

I am Jacks complete lack of surprise.
daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 00:36
And here is the download, 25 MB on rapidshare.
http://rapidshare.de/files/39770504/village_su_tofpsc.zip.html

It's a proof-of-concept so no weapons, enemies or stuff but you can walk around and inspect the map closely.

Have fun, Best Regards

Daarboven

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 00:54
Nice, these models are just what I needed to, are you realising them into the store?

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's too tall
K RIO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 00:57
dude thats great. I have tried the same thing with using Sketch Up. I failed but it looks good.

One shot kill
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 02:37
Very interesting. Looking forwrd to seeing more of this workflow methodology using sketchup as it develops.

I hope you keep it up until your testing is exhausted or your success is fully realised and your objective achieved.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 03:34
Downloaded it. It looks pretty good. I'll see how it runs on my laptop.

Gunn3r Games
daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 07:51
@LT Tatters: These are not models the way you are used to have for FPSCreator. The way i made this map is to group the faces of the map together respective of their material, for example: all(!)windows in the map are one (large)entity. But if you want me to make some village buildings like that for the store, let me know and i will see to it in the near future
@K RIO: I hope the way i describe it here helps you to mabe suceed this time.
@uman: Next is a large Halo-style outdoor map with vehicles, terrain and ally combatants for multiplayer-just kidding. But I will sure go ahead and try to gather more skills in map design with FPSCreator and Sketchup.
@gunn3r: Hope you like it, let me know how it works, maybe along with your specs....

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 08:02 Edited at: 20th Jun 2008 08:18
This is actually my dad's old work laptop that he gave to me. (It's only a year or two old... Not too old, but still not a gaming laptop). I don't know the specs, but I'll try and post them.

EDIT:
WOW! That plays super smooth! When I played the Warehouse, I got a little lag. When I played Civilization 4, I got a little lag. When I played this, it was smooth as silk. This (aside from the questionable collision issues) is the way to make FPSC maps. Good find, Daarboven!

Gunn3r Games
Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 09:07
Played awsome, but there were some holes in the map, lots of then at stairs and such.
but you stated they were to begin with, but I like the concept and idea.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's too tall
daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 09:52 Edited at: 20th Jun 2008 16:08
Quote: "This (aside from the questionable collision issues) is the way to make FPSC maps."

This issues discussed in other threads were mainly that charachters couldn't walk floors made of entities. But since my map has a segment floor from the ww2 pack this shouldn't be a problem in this map. (I can't test it before monday next week but i will sure try it with some "Heermacht"-guys next week)

the holes in the map are were i went over the top with poly reduction . The base Map without the car and the gas container has some 4500 polys which is a little more than some entities i saw posted around here *g*...

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 16:39
Great work; I'll have to download it to check it out.

GP PrOdUcTiOnS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 19:42
Very VERY nice. I woul dplay but im busy working on FPSmedia. its a website. I wont to get it up as soon as posibal.

FPS Creator G0D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2008 23:36
Wow! I hate bumping topics but with one as great as this there shouldn't be a problem. That ran so smooth, the load time was quick and I loved the layout. Might I ask how did you do this? Besides of course using Sketchup.

I'm the one who's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 02:36 Edited at: 1st Aug 2008 20:41
Didnt work, Is the demo for fpsc dx10? as when I ran it I noticed dx10 real small as it was trying to load, which it failed to do as I dont run a dx10 computer.

You include a file directory, will this open in the editor for dx9 systems?

TeamASP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 06:57
Bravo! Daarboven did great! I have SketchUp and I use it on rendering presentations I'll get my fingers on this.

FPSC segments use too much polys and most of them a wasted since most of them can't be seen by the player.

Using SketchUp would be the best since it's free. Daarboven got it working with this tool along with FPSC.

The only thing is... I can't use Download Accelerator on that download.

TechNo VaLLey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 10:23
Fantastic Job daarboven.

Techno VaLLeY
FPS Creator G0D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 23:18
On thing I have to know is, how did you get multi-textured models? I followed your guide and they come out right in the editor but in the game they are all one mesh. If I could fix this, then this program is truly a work of art.

I'm the one who's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want.
daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 12:39
I exported the geometry depending on their material, e.g. all stonewall=1mesh, all rooftile=1mesh etc.
they al have the same pivot point so they align when i import them into fpsc

TIP:in Sketchup, you can select all geometry that shares a texture via the material palette.

FPS Creator G0D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 23:54
Awesome, I might be sending an email your way. Is that ok? I thought thats what you would have to do, import each texture as a different mesh.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 00:22
A tutorial on this would be ideal daarboven as the layout was unique with virtually no lag whatsoever. Very well done.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 00:37
A well-done tutorial on getting Sketchup levels into FPSC could find its way into a TGC Newsletter......

TechNo VaLLey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 01:15 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2008 01:16
Quote: "A well-done tutorial on getting Sketchup levels into FPSC could find its way into a TGC Newsletter"

I totally agree with you KeithC

Techno VaLLeY
FPS Creator G0D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 01:37
It's amazing what can be done with this. Thumps up daarboven, you have revolutionized the FPS:C editor

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 01:53
Quote: "A well-done tutorial on getting Sketchup levels into FPSC could find its way into a TGC Newsletter....."

...and the Community Guide.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 20:21 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2008 20:22
Great work Daarboven

This is very impressive from a technology and level design standpoint. I really like the map and its very smooth with excellent framework.

There are a couple of things I would bring to your attention.

- There is a glitch on player collision with walls i.e. if you walk up to a wall and keep walking forwards the player ends up on the other side outside the map. I had the same problem when exporting maps from 3D World Studio.

- Also I'm sure your aware of this but you can only use CSG punching in FPSC when used in conjunction with segment room walls. Therefore you'll need to CSG the required holes in meshes for doors etc within Sketchup where you want a door that can be opened and walked through into a building or something.

Very impressive stuff here though!
FPS Creator G0D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 23:05
I noticed if you don't make the walls/floors thicker then 2cm the player will fall threw them. Does anyone know if we can sell the items we make with Sketchup?

daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2008 08:18
Quote: "Quote: "A well-done tutorial on getting Sketchup levels into FPSC could find its way into a TGC Newsletter....."

...and the Community Guide. "

Well if you ask that nicely I have to do it,don't I ?
Honestly, I am a bit busy with my dayjob and stuff but will set up a little tute as soon as I met my deadlines

@ Nomad Soul: thanks for pointing that out to me (i knew the csg thing already but thanks for mentioning, I'll try to integrate it in my upcoming tute)...for the collision issue, that is a big one...I just tested it and found a possible reason for some walls to be passable (more in my tute). So there's hope that this issue can be solved with some further testing...

@ fps creator god: it is a 3d app like others so why not sell the stuff you create with it as long as you made it from scratch? If you use stuff from 3d warehouse surely copyright issues apply

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2008 10:54
Sweet, looking forward to it, i own the pro version so will that help more? Awesome man.
Quote: "Location: right over there, see? "
's got talent!

[url=][/url][href]http://www.rampagemod.webs.com[\href]
daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2008 12:55
The tutorial will be for SketchUp pro in the first place but with some useful hints for the free version with the xporter plugin also since not everybody can afford the pro version.

FPS Creator G0D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 00:13
Quote: "@ fps creator god: it is a 3d app like others so why not sell the stuff you create with it as long as you made it from scratch? If you use stuff from 3d warehouse surely copyright issues apply"

Awesome, I recently made a set of Pill Boxs. I might be selling these soon.

I can't wait to see the tutorial!

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 01:19 Edited at: 5th Aug 2008 01:43
Is there a limit on the size of object, I followed a tutorial you did on the sketcup box, my object was very large, but came out smaller than what I made it in game, the object was at least 1000x1000 units I checked the mesh in entity workshop, it was the right size, but in game, its too small, in game it was 400 units in length, ie 4 squares, I didnt output it in entity workshop, only tested for size to see if it was the right scale, and its right in that, but in game, different story, what do you think is the reason for that? Perhaps very tall objects dont come out, Ill try it with a smaller object.

daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 09:27
with the xport plugin, measures translate 254cm in Sketchup to 100 segment subunits (1segment)
Export via 3ds format translates 100cm to 100 segment subunits( 1 segment) when exported with model units set to 1:1 in the options panel.
I honestly don't know the reason for the odd measure of the xport plugin i just found out by experimenting with different sized boxes i imported into the segment editor.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 10:48
What did you do when exporting, when I opened it in entity workshop to look at it it was the right size, but the same model isnt in game.

What do you do when exporting?
Also is your fpi script for buildings the same script as the one for your box tutorial.

Also my converted object comes out 100 unlit in fpsc, light doesnt effect it, its 100% brightness, Ive been playing around with all the settings trying to correct this, I dont think its sketchup conversion thing, Its something on how fpsc handles objects and the settings.

daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 12:20
I will describe the export process for complete levels in detail in my upcoming tutorial, so be patient.
Just so much, it is not the same export pipeline as i described in my multitextured-entity tutorial for SketchUp.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 14:13 Edited at: 5th Aug 2008 21:11
My questions are more aimed at the multitextured-entity tutorial for SketchUp, so Ive put my questions in the thread you made for that.

Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 22:35
...very nicely done.

I anxiously await the release of your tutorial...

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Awesome, I recently made a set of Pill Boxs. I might be selling these soon. "

What is it with people selling their products these days i see no more freebies on the model area no more(expect for Heltor).
But yeah I can't wait for the tutorial. As this is awesome.

FPS Creator G0D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 01:16
Quote: "What is it with people selling their products these days i see no more freebies on the model area no more(expect for Heltor)."

I will be releasing a few freebies. It's just modeling can be demanding at times.

Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
You are a god!!!
muggins majik
Years of Service
User Offline
Fantastic level, one of the best I've seen on here. Thanks for this!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-12 19:11:11
Your offset time is: 2024-05-12 19:11:11