Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / N3wton Map - Image Editor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 12:04 Edited at: 25th Jul 2009 20:42
Introduction

Hey,
I'm kinda new here, and this is my first WIP, Although it's already a perfectly good program

Bassically you can use this program to make normalmaps/heightmaps of your images easily and preview how they look in the DBpro environment. At the moment you can load your image, change wether it is previewed on a box or a sphere, and change wether it should use normapping effects or displacement effects.

Things To Come

Well, this is an early release, and the heightmap, isnt actually a hightmap, its just a grayscale of the original image, but as i know nothing about heightmaps its all i can do until i learn more

Also the sphere look silly as the image doesnt get applied properly so i need to add texture scaling when the sphere is in use, which shouldnt be to hard to add

I Also want to add more editing comands like
- Changing the image brightness, gamma, contrast
- Rotating the image
- Fliping the image
- Scaling the image
So ill add that soon anymore ideas are more than welcome

Screen Shots

Download

25 - July - 09 - Version 0.7

16 - July - 09 - Version 0.6

14 - July - 09 - Version 0.5a

07 - July - 09 - Version 0.5

01 - July - 09 - Version 0.1a

01 - July - 09 - Version 0.1

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The Wilderbeast
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 13:33
Wow this is really good, works perfectly. Any chance you could let the user choose to load a custom object for previewing the textures?

Other than that it's awesome.

N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 14:44
Thats a good idea I'll add that next cos it'll be the easyist

Yours
N3wton

N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 23:58 Edited at: 1st Jul 2009 23:59
Ok, fixed the sphere texture scalling and added custom model loading

So That versions attached, You probably wont get an update now until i add image editing, should take maybe a week? guess we'll see

So if people let me know what they think would be good in it and if anyone knows how heightmaps worked can you please help me

N3wtonMap 0.1a Download

Yours
N3wton

Attachments

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 01:30
this IS good. nice......

An invert image colors and a replace color function would kick some serious pixels.

Awsome prog though, KEEP IT UP.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big.CHANGE IT OR DIE!!!!!
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 01:39
Really nice, I love it ^^. Could you let the user rotate the camera around the object manually? Like with the middle mouse button or something?

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
alpha maps would be a pretty cool feature as well. but you should add that after you add custom objects.(if you choose to do it)
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 10:52
Azunaki: He already added custom objects :p

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
lol well then he should add ot now(you can tell i never downloaded it can't you....)
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2009 19:04 Edited at: 5th Jul 2009 21:26
If you haven`t seen already i have fixed the bug in my dll for you , anyways looking good just give me a shout if you need anything else .

chunks

nvidia geforce 9500gt + amd athlon 64
windows vista ultimate.
N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 12:13
Cheers Chunks

and to everyone else, i've nearly finished image editing you can now...

Adjust Brighness,
Adjust Contrast,
Adjust Gamma,
Invert Image,
Flip Horizontal,
Flip Verticel,
Adjust Normalmap Height

Still working on a few lil bugs, but hopefully new version out today or tomorrow

Yours
N3wton

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
sweet can't wait.
N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2009 15:26 Edited at: 7th Jul 2009 15:36
Right, I think i've made a stable version

It took some work, and a sleepless night, but I've done it
Any bugs post them ASAP please also in the next version ill add camera comands so you can spin the object at your own need ect...

Whats New

- Image editting window
- Fixed some memory issues
- Can now load .x or .dbo models
- Can only save as .bmp or .png due to errors with other formats

Download N3wton Map 1.5 here

or in the main post above

Yours
N3wton

Attachments

chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2009 20:51
Hi N3wton hows the last version going , Have you tried the new commands?

I have been working on another dll which hopefully when i have finished will render a specific camera to another window , so you would be able to have your object and shader in a seperate window , and the images in the main window , which would be kinda cool .

I have only managed to render the main cam at the mo but still trying to get it to work.

chunks

windows vista ultimate.
N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2009 12:03 Edited at: 14th Jul 2009 12:08
No i havn't tried the new commands, I've been away from friday till monday... soubered up now though, so back to work

I've updated the image saving code it an now save as
.jpg
.bmp
.dds
.png

I think thats enough image types?

Also started adding so you can rotate the object on your own, so you can really see whats going on.

After that I'm going to add the abillity to edit shaders and preciew them, so you can really see how they'll look in dbpro

New Version In Original Post

Yours
N3wton

Attachments

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
.tif would be nice. but not needed.
N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2009 23:34
Ok I'll look into tif, though i'm making no promises

Yours
N3wton

The Wilderbeast
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2009 23:38
Just downloaded the latest - it's working a dream

One more thing that might be helpful is having the ability to rotate the object yourself.

That code does the sort of thing I was thinking of.

N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2009 23:41
I already have this added in the latest version but i'm just fixing a few bugs before i upload it, it should be uploaded by tomorrow

Thanks
Yours
N3wton

chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2009 00:13
@N3wton Looking good , i`ve been trying to break it but i can`t as yet . Looks like the memory leak was fixed do you agree ?

Just give us shout if you need anymore functionality ,i`m looking into why some formats don`t save correctly .

Yours
Chunks

windows vista ultimate.
N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2009 01:10
Yer i think the mornory leak occured where i was checking for change in the brightness ect with blueGUI and thus it updated the image to much and couldnt cope, so i rewrote that bit and its seemed to of fixed it... i hope

anyways I'm off to sleep so i can be up bright and early and check the new verrsion before a release

yours
N3wton

p.s. @chunks any news on a height map command?

N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2009 12:47 Edited at: 17th Jul 2009 00:55
Right got a new version, though there maybe a newer one later today depending on the weather

I did make it so i get around 500fps but i've typed something somewhere and its gone back down to 80 but it could also just be my laptop being stupid...

anyways, this version should run quicker, i think and also you can move the object yourself by clicking on it, moving your mouse to rotate the object, then clicking again to make the object spin on its own again...

Let me know what you think... and if there are any problems, shout at me and ill fix them

DOWNLOAD HERE

Yours
N3wton

UPDATE

Small problem, my laptop desided to brake today i sware vista is the worst thing ever coded, i bet my mum could do better and she gets scared when she turns the printer on when she's dusting it! so anyways im back on XP the good old OS that it is havn't got DBpro back on yet, but i did happen to back up my code 2 hours before my laptop broke, so i do still have all the code i just ran the latest version and get around 400 fps, so all is good

Attachments

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2009 16:54 Edited at: 18th Jul 2009 16:57
Can I make bigger textures? Currently I can only make 800x600

I haven't looked around very much for an option yet, so I could just be being stupid.

EDIT: There is an FPS increase! and you also need to get a new laptop!

I get 680 FPS up from 500.

N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2009 19:24
What do you mean by bigger textures? as in before you save like a winodow pops up where you can enter a custom image size?

Yours
N3wton

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
i think he means like 8x8 16x16 32x32 64x64 128x128 256x256 512x512 1024x1024 2048x2048 4096x4096 (and any combination of these...64x256)
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2009 00:01
Quote: "Line Number:72
Command Number:3052
Name:aïŠ@í~m@cïŠ@x!Äšd~Å~éÙ¾8È¿@œ< Y·@,ì?Ú@
P1:1
"

Lol. This is coming along N3wton.....It looks comercial
Do you have any plans to sell it?

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big.CHANGE IT OR DIE!!!!!
N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2009 13:04
Oh, ok I get what you mean by texture sizes, cos at the moment when it loads the image it just resizes it to the panel size, and looses aspect ratio, so I'll add that next

and I was going to make a version that aload you to edit shaders in it aswell and do lots more with the image and sell that, but knowing me, It'll probably release it for free XD

Yours
N3wton

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2009 14:57
Quote: "I'll probably release it for free "

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2009 17:47
Thats what I mean.

You can load the image. Duplicate it, then the second image will be used for normal editing (so resize it to panel size, etc).

Then when it comes to saving, it gets the first image and applies the changes. Then saves.

Not sure if that's what you already had in mind, but its a good way to keep quality and speed while your run the program.

chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 22:04 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2009 23:25
@N3wton i can`t find enough information on exactly how they are generated for shaders , there seems to be a lot of conflicting views on what a heightmap should be and for which shaders.

Do you have a specific heightmap already made for the shaders you are using and i will see if i can generate them the same , also will need a the color/diffuse texture to generate it from .

Also i think they are designed to where you want the heights to be different on the model eg (white where you want the higher parts) , so they prolly can`t be generated from a color texture but i may be wrong , you may be able to generate a generic one.

wow i used generate a lot there lol

thanks chunks

EDIT: attached is a project where i had a go at making a heightmap with just the freeimage commands , it actually looks okay with the parallax shader i have , there is a screenshot inside with the shader applied .

windows vista ultimate.

Attachments

N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2009 02:06
Hey chunks

Sorry for not having any updates as of late my laptop blow up again so i glad i have a continous backup of my code anyways, that height map looks awsome, how did you do it? thats basically what i wanted

also should be anupdate soon, thought this weekend is my uncles birthday so I'm out abit hopefully next version next week

Yours
N3wton

chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2009 14:34
just used some of the freeimage commands , greyscale first , contrast and brightness adjustments , although it might go wrong with a different texture , but you could add in controlled brightness and contrast controls so the user can adjust the height map to there requirements.

the whole project is attached in the post up ^.. , looking forward to seeing the update.

thanks chunks.

windows vista ultimate.
revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2009 15:44
Hi N3wton, Do you think you could add a feature to allow us to load a height map image, and store it in the alpha channel of the normal map and/or the diffuse texture? This would come in handy for Parallax and Relief mapping shaders. I know I would find this very useful in certain situations, including non-shader related work.
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2009 16:14
do you no i think you might be able to do that with free image , i will investigate that , if it works right i will give N3wton the code .

chunks

windows vista ultimate.
N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 14:54 Edited at: 25th Jul 2009 20:40
I've been playing around chunks and the heightmap still doesnt look good enough I've added parellex shading too, and added

- Open NormalMap
- Open HeightMap

So you can add your premade ones if you want

But unfortuatlly it's my best mates birthday today, and my brothers graduation party tomorrow, so I wont be able to code until monday grr at friends and familly

Speak soon

Yours
N3wton

EDIT

Right, my mates birthday was rubbish XD so I came home and coded a little, got a new version attached to this post, though all the shader stuff has been removed till I can get that 100% working.

Also has anyone who's running XP used n3wton map? cos I'm experiencing some bugs that wernt there when I was on vista. Problem is the bugs are in bluegui so I can't fix them

so in this new version I did some more performance fixing and added loading your own heightmaps and normalmaps, also added evoloveds parallex shading... just cos it's beautiful

DOWNLOAD HERE

Yours
N3wton

Attachments

chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 23:49 Edited at: 25th Jul 2009 23:57
I`m on xp at the mo and it has worked fine , just testing your latest version now ,what problems have you been getting with blue ?
I have the blue source so if its something i can fix let us know.

Attached is a program from green gandalf which makes normal maps & height maps you could look at the code and see if its any closer to what you want .

EDIT: I found that sometimes if you take the contrast down on the heightmap i get a silent crash .

windows vista ultimate.

Attachments

N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 23:56 Edited at: 26th Jul 2009 00:08
The problem i have is, sometimes the tabs just dont render and arnt displayed but if you click where it should be it appears, also sometimes when i put the trackbars to a negative number it crashes...

and I'll look at that code now

EDIT

That code is awsome! but the height maps still arnt right
I'll attach images to show the results I have in my head

Original Image

Normal Map Image

Height Map Image

yours
N3wton

chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 01:23
Have you made all your gadgets ids global and use paint gadget in your loop ,its also a good idea to use resetmainwindow at top of code after set display mode.

I will keep trying to get some code working to resemble what you want for a heightmap.

chunks

windows vista ultimate.
N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 15:46
Just to show what i meant by it not rendering the tabs

don't know why it does it

Yours
N3wton

Login to post a reply