Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / I am officially unemployed...and I feel great!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2012 13:53
So after working the same dead end job for the past 5 years...after 2 pay cuts, 4 different bosses and endless hours of of going through the same daily motions...I've finally gave them the finger and left.

I now feel better then I ever have.

I'm getting sleep now..

I'm not stressed out anymore..

I feel awesome. It's like a weight lifted off my shoulders.

So anyway..argh! I hated that company!

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 9th Mar 2012 14:16
Well, my sister just moved here from Ohio and she say's that jobs are not so plentiful there (just like everywhere else). I don't know your financial situation and commitments, so I hope you're able to take care of that for a while. Hopefully you'll find a job/career that you enjoy soon. I know it sucks to do something you don't like everyday, but we've got to eat.

Good luck.

!retupmoc eht ni deppart m'I !pleH

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 9th Mar 2012 14:56
Quote: "I know it sucks to do something you don't like everyday, but we've got to eat."

This is why I work at a restaurant; I get a free food item per shift and as a result save lots of money on groceries!

That and it was the only place hiring at the time I was looking for a job, so, naturally they called me back pretty fast.

Hope all goes well for you, Josh! Where were you working, if I may ask?

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2012 15:14 Edited at: 9th Mar 2012 15:14
Quote: "I've finally gave them the finger and left. "

When I did that in my last job I felt so good...
But that was 4 years ago. Back then I could find a new job in less than a month. Today I can't do that because it is impossible to find a new job soon. Working is a privilege today in Greece.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2012 15:54
My job at a second hand store was pretty crap and the boss was like a hawk, not to mention the person I worked with was horrible. When it came to an end, it felt like a weight off of my shoulders - I did want to say something, but my boss said he'd offer me a good reference, so I didn't think it was worth it.

Enjoy the good feeling. Just don't stay unemployed too long, it loses its edge. Hope you find a job for a company you do not hate and do something you enjoy...or at least don't mind doing.

Quote: "But that was 4 years ago. Back then I could find a new job in less than a month. Today I can't do that because it is impossible to find a new job soon. Working is a privilege today in Greece."

I can imagine. It's not that great here either...though probably not as bad as Greece.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2012 16:11
Quote: "I can imagine. It's not that great here either...though probably not as bad as Greece"

It is bad and it is only going to get worst I' m afraid. I could have a "I am officially unemployed" thread for myself soon...
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 9th Mar 2012 16:14
Quote: "Working is a privilege today in Greece."

It's not easy anywhere these days to find a (good) steady job. Twenty to 30 years ago, that was a whole other story. Back then, you could easily quit your job, and work somewhere else immediatly. That's no longer the case. Bosses demand a lot more nowadays.

Where I worked before, it was a real hell. And still, I worked there a long time. Mainly because I HAD a job, and an income, and I didn't wanna loose that. But, when they fired me, I was glad they did.
Wish I had a good steady job now, though.

Cheers

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2012 16:28
Quote: "It is bad and it is only going to get worst I' m afraid. I could have a "I am officially unemployed" thread for myself soon..."

I didn't bother making one. I've just had temp jobs, so I'd have a few. Wouldn't mind something permanent. Would be ideal to get a job near where my friends live so I could move in with some, but employment's worse there.

Though to add optimism to this thread, my friend who lives up North who worked for Tescos hated it so much he took his chances in the unemployed world and his local WHSmiths was looking, took him on as a Christmas temp and then offered him a permanent employment and he loves it there, despite the fact it's shop work, but it pays his rent and the staff are friendly.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2012 16:28
Quote: "Wish I had a good steady job now, though."

I understand. I am stuck in a job that I am not interested in, but at least I have an income. Reduced of course, because I work 4 days weekly now. But if I lose that I don't know what comes later.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2012 19:45
Well done Josh! I didn't know you were full time employed, but I do know how good it feels to walk away from a job you don't like. I've done it a couple of times, and it's flippin' awesome!

Are you thinking of going full time self employed, or are you going to look for something else?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 9th Mar 2012 20:25
Congrats Josh...

Now this reminds me of two previous employers... or better put BS employers...

The first threathened to cause me gruesome bodily harm
the second had no intention of paying me and I lost out on three months benefits

so moral... I am self employed and happy and you lot should try this too

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2012 20:33
Huh...

I've been desperately trying and failing to find work around here for two years...

I wish I could throw away work like that.
old_School
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry to hear most of you are stuck in dead end jobs or no jobs. I currently went back to teaching part/full time at a local school. But I guess that’s the power of a degree. I still enjoy making software of course but I decided I needed something a little more stable.
uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2012 22:01
There's no point doing a job you don't enjoy, doing the same routine day after day.
It can really drag you down.

Mr. Flibble is Very cross!
Mental Stability is over-rated!
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 01:48
Still feels good to be done with that place. Now I'm going 100% self-employed. Before it was always something I did on the side, but now it's all the time. I also get good sleep, I'm not stressed, and my wife loves having me home all the time, along with the 4 demon spawns.

I was originally going to quit earlier this year, but then my bud who I was working a big project with bought a house and got a full time job. (he knows who he is)*glares at my bud* Hopefully we'll pick up on that project later this year after dispensing some carnage.

As for me, I'll be putting my talents and degree to good use. So expect to see a lot of new media, packs and games from me soon.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 14:57 Edited at: 10th Mar 2012 14:58
Having been unemployed for almost 1.5 years; I can tell you that the elation eventually wears off, unless you gain an income that can fill in the blanks. I wish you luck on working at home.

Quote: "I currently went back to teaching part/full time at a local school."

I hope you're not teaching English Comp: "I currently went..."

-Keith

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 15:17
Quote: "Sorry to hear most of you are stuck in dead end jobs or no jobs. I currently went back to teaching part/full time at a local school. But I guess that’s the power of a degree. I still enjoy making software of course but I decided I needed something a little more stable."

What happened to your company, your employees and most importantly your intern who recently had finals?

How do you work "part/full" time?

Also, just because I'm a teacher and I like to know these things, when and where did you get your education degree? I got mine from Brunel University in 2004.

http://thraxocorp.webs.com/ Visit my totally awesome website: Thraxocorp. It's my own company and I'm totes the CEO.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 15:43
Quote: "Having been unemployed for almost 1.5 years; I can tell you that the elation eventually wears off, unless you gain an income that can fill in the blanks. I wish you luck on working at home. "

Crazy as it may sound, 3 days in and have already doubled my income. Technically speaking, and that's if I can keep up the same amount of work throughout the year.

Quote: "What happened to your company, your employees and most importantly your intern who recently had finals?

"

Obviously he's a robot, doesn't require sleep and has several clones.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 16:26
Well; working at home usually doesn't mean a steady income that most of us are used to, working for another. However; all you have to do (which I'm sure you know) is account for what your budget requires monthly, and sock the rest away.

To be honest; I too wish to work from the house one day, and leave the Prison System behind (it's not as glamorous as "Lock Up" portrays it to be). I'm hoping within 2 years to be able to give up the black and grey, and leave it forever. But to do that; I need to get started NOW. I suffer from prolonged procrastination at times.....very frustrating.

-Keith

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 16:34
I know how you feel KeithC. I graduated 6 years ago and I'm just now trying to do something with that degree full time. I'm use to having a weekly check but now it's up too me to make sure I'm getting a check. Honestly it's scary.

It's a lot more work now, I'll probably be putting in double the hours for almost the same payoff. But I'll be my own boss, work my own hours and will answer only to me. Just a few perks.

Then there's taxes...

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 16:46
Quote: "Well; working at home usually doesn't mean a steady income that most of us are used to"

Steady income? What is that LOL.

Quote: "I'm hoping within 2 years to be able to give up the black and grey, and leave it forever. But to do that; I need to get started NOW."

Yes, you do.

Quote: "I suffer from prolonged procrastination at times"

I guess I'll have to phone more often and light that flame for you.

Quote: "Still feels good to be done with that place. Now I'm going 100% self-employed. Before it was always something I did on the side, but now it's all the time. I also get good sleep, I'm not stressed, and my wife loves having me home all the time, along with the 4 demon spawns."

It is quite the change when you are self-employed and working from home. I've been doing it now for a year since finishing my time with the military. Cathy likes having me work from home, and we save on daycare with our youngest not in school yet. I can sit in the morning now and watch the torrential rains pour down and know I don't have to be in it.

Still the military routine I grew accustomed to pays off at home. Up at a certain time, see the wife off to work, do the daily house chores, do my work, have supper ready, etc. My schedule and routines all run on timings. Lucky for me I only have one little one left at home.

Twitter: @NFoxMedia
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 17:14
Quote: "I was originally going to quit earlier this year, but then my bud who I was working a big project with bought a house and got a full time job. (he knows who he is)*glares at my bud* Hopefully we'll pick up on that project later this year after dispensing some carnage."

What a douche! I'll be sure to give him a good whooping for you.

I guess what it comes down to is, 90% of us game devs having to go and do a 9-5 are living a lie ... but have no choice cos the bills have to be paid. We gotta do what we gotta do. Mate, I hope you can make just as much money freelancing full time though, cos then you'll be sorted.

I personally would love to see you release a load of model packs and get more indi game dev work. It's all good experience for possible future projects.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 18:37 Edited at: 10th Mar 2012 18:42
Quote: " Mate, I hope you can make just as much money freelancing full time though, cos then you'll be sorted."

Thanks, I plan too. Just hit me up when your ready to continue world destruction! *Muhahaha!*

I currently have two main projects planned and started. Will hopefully be starting some wips soon.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 19:03
Best of luck mate, hope self-employment works out for you, I'm sure it'll be hard work but if it's something you'll enjoy and you're happy with then I'm sure it'll be worth it and who knows you might catch a break doing it, like find a regular client who you like and pays well enough.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 19:39
Quote: "But I'll be my own boss, work my own hours and will answer only to me."

My experience has been a little different. I've found that instead of one boss, I have many (everyone who pays for my services) to answer to. Still, there is a lot to be said for the freedom of being self employed. It's not for everyone though. There is the stress of knowing that there is no set paycheck coming in and you have to be motivated, even when you don't feel like it.

Like Keith said, sock it away when you make a little extra, because you will probably see some dry times.

Good luck.

Brian.

!retupmoc eht ni deppart m'I !pleH

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 20:09 Edited at: 10th Mar 2012 20:10
I like the freedom of organising my work around my own life. If I want to run errands, or go and play some golf, or make the most of a sunny day and go out on my bike, I can do that whenever I want. I can put the extra hours in later and work in the evening, or do some work over the weekend.

Yeah, there are lots of negatives, but if you make a success of it, I think the positives far outweigh the negatives. Plus anything you put in, you get back. If you work for 'the man' your input isn't directly proportional to the financial gain. Ignoring promotions for a moment, the slacker next to you on the same pay grade will earn just as much as you. If you're self employed, everything you put in will be rewarded proportionally.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 23:26
Quote: "
I've finally gave them the finger and left.
"

i did that yesterday.

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA . DBPro V7.5
AMD Phenom™ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2012 04:23
I applied to Uni about 2-3 weeks ago, if I get accepted I'll be unemployed too, until I get some kind of part time job, but I'm hoping to save up before I go, so I have some kind of personal balance to use on what I need/want while at uni xD.
old_School
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2012 06:20 Edited at: 11th Mar 2012 06:24
Quote: "What happened to your company, your employees and most importantly your intern who recently had finals?

Also, just because I'm a teacher and I like to know these things, when and where did you get your education degree? I got mine from Brunel University in 2004."

Sorry been a tad busy. I still work part/full time from home. I went back to teaching recently because my sister asked me if I could come help her school corp. So I sub about 35 to 40 hours a week at her school corp. teaching various subjects. Prior I was a IT teacher at a local high school. As for my degrees, which one I have a few.

Anyway, my suggestion for "at home" programming jobs would be better get some good help. You may be an awesome coder but you will need more then just good programming skills to sell software or perform freelancing lol I learned this the hard way my self. You will also need a lump sum of cash to get the ball rolling etc for advertisement expenses, marketing, hiring others etc. I recommend it’s wise to keep at least a part time job while you build up your "home company".

My first "home business" was a computer repair shop that of course later became a software company but I still kept my day job for many years until the company was profitable enough to sustain its self. You also will need a large sum of money set aside to help start up your new company to cover various start up costs. I highly recommend you consider a part time job until your "home job" is more stable income wise.

Edit:
Just a warning, 80% of all new business fail first year. that number should be higher with current econ
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2012 07:28
Quote: "As for my degrees, which one I have a few. "

Quote: "where did you get your education degree?"

I thought when I said education degree, I was being clear

I, too, have multiple degrees (3)... Having a few is not really anything to feel special about, at the end of the day it's just a piece of paper, it doesn't mean you're clever...

Quote: "So I sub about 35 to 40 hours a week at her school corp. teaching various subjects."

35-40 hours a week teaching in a school?????? How are you doing that many hours a week teaching?

http://thraxocorp.webs.com/ Visit my totally awesome website: Thraxocorp. It's my own company and I'm totes the CEO.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2012 11:32
Quote: "35-40 hours a week teaching in a school?????? How are you doing that many hours a week teaching?"

He hands out a lot of detentions mate. A man's gotta generate his own overtime!

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2012 13:39
old_school:

You must be thinking of another Moondog bub. For one I'm a freelance 3d artist. Two, I said before that I've been doing this on the side for a while, about 6 years. Three, I'm not starting a small business, I'm doing freelance contracts. I also go through an agency that provides me with 100-200 job postings daily. It's just a matter of winning over an employer and doing the work.

I'm not the best out there, but I'm fast. Which is always a selling point. As I stated before, I know I'll be putting in almost double the hours, but the payoff in the end is worth it.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2012 13:40
If subs are paid by the hour, well...I'd certainly give out a lot of detentions for sure. Hey, all I'd have to do is sit the room for 7 hours playing on my laptop - I could be coding whilst the kids sit in boredom. Getting paid to make kids cry AND play games or program, sounds like a win-win situation to me!

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2012 14:02
Quote: "If subs are paid by the hour, well...I'd certainly give out a lot of detentions for sure. Hey, all I'd have to do is sit the room for 7 hours playing on my laptop - I could be coding whilst the kids sit in boredom. Getting paid to make kids cry AND play games or program, sounds like a win-win situation to me!"

I think you've just explained to me the last 17 years of my life.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2012 17:11
Quote: "Getting paid to make kids cry AND play games or program, sounds like a win-win situation to me!"

I love making kids cry. Sometimes I print off fake Toys R Us vouchers and post them through the letterboxes of the kids on my street. The only bad thing is I don't get to see their crushing expressions of utter despair when they try to spend them.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2012 18:24
Quote: "Sometimes I print off fake Toys R Us vouchers and post them through the letterboxes of the kids on my street."

You're now officially my favourite forumite!!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 11th Mar 2012 18:43
yeah I applaud him too ^^

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2012 19:41
Thank you, thank you. I'll post some your way if you like.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2012 20:06
Fallout, if that's true, you are both a God and a demon...
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2012 20:11
You will never know the truth!

old_School
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2012 21:40 Edited at: 11th Mar 2012 21:48
Subs don’t make an hourly rate we get paid by the day. For every day you work you make x amount of dollars. But this may be different for your school corp. Requirements to sub varies state to state as well. My state requires I believe minim of 50 college credits to apply for your sub license but school corp. requirements may be greater then the state requirements. My school corp. requires at least a 2 year degree and prefers a 4 year degree or better. So if you’re unemployed, have a degree and enjoy working with kids; it’s a pretty cool job if you can find a good school corp. in your area.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2012 09:56 Edited at: 12th Mar 2012 09:57
@old_school : Amazing how you can fit in a self-sustaining software business with a staff *and* do 35-40 hours a week teaching. But I digress...

I wouldn't recommend anyone to quit their job, regardless of how crap it is, unless he had a new job waiting for them.

Senior Developer - CBS Interactive Music Group

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 23:40:15
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 23:40:15