Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / 48 hour AGK game jam!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2013 01:15
The time has finaly come, after discussions in 2 separate threads, we have come up with a format for an AppGameKit game jam.

The goal is to create a game using AppGameKit within 48 hours during the weekend 20-21 july. In order to not harm creativity, the game can be any kind of game you can think of and you don't have to follow a specific theme.

One of the main purposes of this game jam is to help promote the ongoing AppGameKit kickstarter campaign by showing what can be done with AppGameKit in 48 hours. Other than that it's mainly for fun and the experience of creating a game in a short time.

The jam starts at 00:00 GMT which is in about 45 minutes of me posting this.

The rules
* Most of the code must be written during the 48 hours - You can use some functions that you use a lot but not copy entire pieces of code from another game.
* Most media must be created during the 48 hours except for media that is publicaly avalible for free.
* A PC version of the game must be uploaded for others to try before the end of the jam - Aditional versions (Android / iOS) are optional but apreciated
* The games need to contain reference to this competition, preferably with the official banner created by MrValentine

Since this is not a competition, the rules can be seen as guidelines and if you feel like you will have a better experience if you modify a rule, it's up to you as long as you don't overdo it.

Judging
While this is mostly for entertainment, it would still be fun to select the best game from the jam. When the jam is over, I will create a google poll for each game where you can rate the game based on four factors (gameplay, graphics, sound and technical impressivness). I will then select the best game based on the average score from all of these aswell as individual category winners.

The jam officially starts on 00:00 GMT but as requested, im creating the thread a bit early to allow people to see the official "rules" beforehand. But if you feel that you won't have time to use the full 48 hours during the weekend, im sure nobody would punish you for getting a small headstart

I mentioned that all games need to contain reference to this competition, and mr valentine has created some banners for us to use for that purpose.

He also mentioned that he might be able give some sort of price to the best entrants.

Quote: "If prizes are sought, I am happy to host up some free Website space and assist in getting started with WordPress for the top 3-5 winners or all entrants where required "

But I feel that he should tell you about that if he still wants to do something like that

I guess that's everything good luck and have fun.
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2013 01:25 Edited at: 20th Jul 2013 01:32
Good luck everyone! Looking forward to finishing my first game in nearly 10 years.

I'm probably going to record a timelapse screencast for this... we'll see.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2013 02:39
Good luck everyone! Sounds like fun, but I don't have the time.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2013 02:50
good luck guys

FYI... mine will be open source when I post it....along with youtube video to show it was made in the coarse of a day.

unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2013 03:56 Edited at: 20th Jul 2013 03:57
Eh, can't get screen capturing to work (well).

Oh well.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2013 07:15 Edited at: 20th Jul 2013 14:41
Finished! ~10hours

[Chopper Rescue]

info: I had to start the project early since im on a major road trip for the next 2 days. I started the project today close to 1pm and finished it up around 10pm same day. I realy wanted to add enemies to it as well but have run out of time.

Feel free to edit the source...add more levels using tile studio.
whatever you like.

All media was created new as well....everything 100% new just made today.

YouTube Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmitkb4Zumg&feature=youtu.be

download source--------------------------------->

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 20th Jul 2013 13:48
SMD nice work!

I got hit with a migraine....... I tried to press on but had to sleep... Will try y to resume... I even prepared a lot of food and drink for this...

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2013 14:43
Thanks

....finally video uploaded....its like over an hour...lol!

I cant wait to see what you guys come up with using 48hrs.

unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2013 16:57
Good work SMD!

I've worked for 4 hours so far. I've got a framework and... drumrollll... one enemy dumbly chasing a player.

However, things should start going more quickly now, and I do have a mini design doc which should help a bit.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2013 17:34 Edited at: 20th Jul 2013 18:55
After about 6 hours of work, I got a player moving and shooting + some nice graphics.

Looks cool for the short amount of time SDM

Edit:

Some screenshots of my progress

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2013 21:37
Awesome

I will try to pull together and get something done... Even as a basic I do need help with some 2D concepts... But I will continue examining the sample codes...

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2013 21:52
Great, and like I said, if you need any advice, feel free to ask!
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 04:11
Well, the 'ole basement flooded today... Of course it had to happen during this.

Will still try to get something done. I've got three enemy types and player movements down. No shooting yet. (By the way, I'm making a Robotron-ish, ChaseAce-ish (my favorite game eva) arena arcade game. Not super, original.. I know.)
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 04:15 Edited at: 21st Jul 2013 04:51
The Zoq2 - As a programmer we love to solve things, but I will hold you to that offer

unlikely - not the best choice of username... sorry to hear that, hope not too much was lost...

Everyone - I have a surprise coming up shortly... I will either pin it to this or if someone posts after me, I will post it up, it is a video... My plan changed due to My Unlikely event of a migraine so I lost an entire days work...

EDIT

Here it is, still uploading at the time of editing this post...
[EDIT - REMOVED THE VIDEO FROM HERE AS I REPOSTED IT BELOW]

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 04:40 Edited at: 31st Jul 2013 17:19
I seen this jam on Wednesday and thought I would not have the time, I was 13 hours Nightshift on Friday night. So I actually started on Thursday. (still sticking to the 48 hour ethos though).

I knew I would not be able to make fantastic images or a complicated game. So I used screenshots from Universe Sandbox http://universesandbox.com/ to make a great background. All other images I have made for this project.

This is my progress so far.

Find attached an exe made with smartpaker pro.
Use arrow keys to move ship and space to fire

I don't mind if I get disqualified from the vote. I will be lucky to finish this tomorrow anyway. I am just enjoying the challenge.

Edit

I had originally thought I had used NASA images but on further examination they were from Universe Sandbox. It was Images I had made a while ago and I was tired. They are so good, it was an easy mistake to make. Universe Sandbox allow Images to be used as can be seen in their FAQ ( If you make more than $100,000 you should make a formalised agreement, I wish )

Attachments

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 04:41 Edited at: 21st Jul 2013 04:42
Here is a screenshot

Attachments

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 04:50
Very nice Jammy!

Yeah this is more about what can be done inside a 48 hour time frame than a competition...

It is finally viewable...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 09:51
I might have a couple of hours tonight but other than that I'm too busy with my Mum here for the weekend. Might get some kind of quick thing done... Some great work so far guys!

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 11:46
I guess i'll post another update.

I have now got paralax scrolling for the background working. Enemies can now shoot and damage the player, and the player can shoot back. (no damage yet though)
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 14:14 Edited at: 21st Jul 2013 14:17
Going for a meeting shortly, Zoq sounds good, I should get my little game done later tonight, need some fresh air still shaking off this migraine... but yeah, Anybody seen my video yet?

EDIT

SMD - Did you use Box2D for that game?

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 17:18 Edited at: 21st Jul 2013 17:22
Hi guys. Sounds like life as been trying to scupper most of us! My little adventure was spending most of yesterday morning repairing the broken touchscreen on my mother's smartphone... It involved a pen knife, an oven, some viscous glue and lots of flying glass. Fun times. And then I was out most of the afternoon (and not in A&E amazingly enough). Nonetheless, I would like to present to you my humble offering: Four-In-A-Row 3D. Yes I know, I wasn't feeling very creative, but it was fun to make and gave me a chance to have a play around with AGK's 3D commands for the first time. Here are some screenies:

Me about to make a devastating move against the crafty AI.

The AI plotting its ungodly revenge.

The menu.

You can download the game in a zip file from my website here. I've uploaded the whole AppGameKit project so it's open source and as the media (of which there is very little) is included, you should be able to build it if you wanted to (why?).

To move the camera, use the arrow keys. To zoom in and out, use the mouse wheel. When it is your turn, you may place a coloured ball by clicking on the green plane at the top of the column. The ball will drop down to the lowest unoccupied place.

I'm afraid the AI is kind of stupid but it has its moments.

The game is built in AppGameKit Tier 1. Most of the graphics are procedural but the textures were made in GIMP. Thanks to Mr. Valentine for the banner, I've included it in the game along with the made in AppGameKit label. Most of the sound effects come from TGC's SoundMatter pack - I hope that's OK. I used sfxr for the rest. And I think that's about it really.

Look forward to playing everyone else's games and seeing what you come up with . Good luck!

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 17:40
Hey guys... Your games are looking great!

I sure wish I had the time to do more with mine but like I said I'm on a road trip.

MrValentine ... I can't see your video yet as I only have my cellphone right now. Also I did not use box2d for my game... The source code was included with it if you want to take a look.

Anybody watch my video?

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 17:58
Realy interesting game Lucas.

And SDM, I missed the video when you posted it, but I realy like that you added commentary to it. Unfortunley im on a mobile network so watching a 1 hour youtube video isn't the best idea.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 19:32
Quote: "Anybody watch my video?"
- Yeah flicked through it, nice work! it reminds me of a game I played on the NET YAROZE demo disk back on PS1

So tired, umm I might have to complete mine tomorrow or a slight bit late... but I am videoing everything and so far only spent 45 minutes just showing a sample video

And yeah indeed looks like this weekend is pulling away our plans

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 19:34
Lucas Tiridath - So sorry so tired I forgot to comment on your project, it looks amazing and reminds me of the Train Display Map in FFVII awesome, especially the SUBMARINE mini-game part awesome! would love to pick at that code...

unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 19:41 Edited at: 21st Jul 2013 19:44
Quote: "unlikely - not the best choice of username... sorry to hear that, hope not too much was lost..."

Yeah, we've had some torrential downpours here lately. The basement finally gave in... thankfully we didn't lose much.

Looking good everybody! I hope I can get something playable by this evening. I'm afraid that I may have spent too much of the time that I did have creating a Tier 2 game framework and not enough time on gameplay!

I do plan on continuing work on this after the jam. I would like this to be my first completed game.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2013 01:42
There we go, my game is finished. There are some issues but they would take to long to fix. The game is a top down shooter in space. You have to fight waves of enemies and try to survive as long as possible. Im realy happy with how much I managed to acomplish witin a weekend, I made everything from scratch for this project (I even remade my 1x1.png image for the sake of it). It's also my first finished project in Tier 2 which is an acomplishment for me aswell.

Anyway, here are some screenshots

The download is attatched. Just unzip and run 48hr.exe

If someone is interested, I can upload the source aswell. Just ask for it

Attachments

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2013 02:07
The Zoq2 - Wave 3 ^^, love the clean GUI! but no sound or music?

@All - Unfortunately life hit me with a blow torch this weekend, for one I got offered a job which took up a lot of thinking time, and I have decided to turn it down... Will see if they will take me on part time otherwise I am not flustered, still hoping a friend I pushed into it gets the job, I as you know got struck by a migraine, swift as a lightning bolt, and now tomorrow I will be at the shop, but I will try to learn more AppGameKit commands, it is quite different and the IDE does not help much... I loved and cherished Intellisense in Synnergy for DBPro as do I in VS2012... which made things a bit slow for me having to hunt the code base for each and every command... as such I have failed, I am sure I could get the content into the screen and such but the Box2D physics is a head ache... hopefully Bullet physics should alleviate this, I really find working with PhysX that much easier...

Anyway, before I throw up, I will have a try at studying the AppGameKit code base and try to port my game to it somehow... but I would rather complete my management studies... ugh so annoyed right now, but the works done herein is fantastic!

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2013 02:21
Well here it is

Earth Defence (find Attached to this post)

Would have liked more Aliens and different waves, but there you go.

Time waits for no man.

Have not had a chance to review anyone else's project yet and have to go to bed now

Will get a look later in the week.

Attachments

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2013 02:25 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2013 02:26
Here is a screenshot

night night

Attachments

unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2013 03:35
Cool guys!

Unfortunately with the curveball life threw me, I don't really have a playable game after about 7-8 hours of work.

However, I plan on continuing this game and finishing it before long. I'm going to document my progress on the showcase forum.

Thanks for putting this together Zoq, and I REALLY hope we can do this again.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2013 11:20
Quote: "love the clean GUI! but no sound or music?"

Thanks and regarding the sound, I intended to put your music in but I realised that I wanted to make everything myself from scratch as a challenge. I don't have the know how and didn't have the time to make any sounds and I didn't realy want to use someone elses . But I will expand this project and add some sound aswell.

Quote: "Earth Defence (find Attached to this post)"

Realy nice game, for some reason I realy liked the look of the spinning earth and moon. (Im guessing they are made in 3d (if not, extremley inpressive)

Quote: "Unfortunately with the curveball life threw me, I don't really have a playable game after about 7-8 hours of work."

Quote: "Unfortunately life hit me with a blow torch this weekend"

Very sad to hear

Quote: "Thanks for putting this together Zoq, and I REALLY hope we can do this again. "

I would gladly do this again, it was a ton of fun and hopefully life won't hit anyone with a blowtorch next time. Perhaps the middle of the summer isn't the best time to do this. I would love to do it again in a month or so though
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2013 17:16
Hey guys. Just been having a look through your games and screenshots and I think it's a great testament to how much can be done in AppGameKit in a short time.

@SMD_3D
Very nice little helicopter game. I think you got the difficulty of controls just about right. As you say, a shame you didn't have time for more levels and stuff but it's a great start. I particularly liked how the little people ran over to the helicopter when you successfully landed on the landing pad. A little tweak would have been to hide the start button after it was pressed, as I kept trying to use it to restart until I realised I needed to click quit . Also I like the background music and crunching sounds when you hit things. I found the "guys to save" text in light green very hard to read against the light blue sky though.

@Jammy
I tried to play your game but I got the following two errors from your two exes:

Exception EAccessViolation in module earthinvaders.exe at 7EF1F000. Access violation at address 7EF20000. Read of address 63E9001E.

Exception EAccessViolation in module earthdefencebyjammysoft.exe at 7EF1F000. Access violation at address 7EF20000. Read of address 63E9001E.

Any ideas what might be happening? As Zoq2 got it working, I wonder if it's just me? I'm on Windows 7 x64..

@Zoq2
Very impressive game, especially for the time! I really liked the visual style and the range of different weapons. The seeker missiles were great! It would have been nice if they had had an explosion animation though. Also I found strafing baffling as it is done relative to the spaceship and so changes on the screen. Overall though I am extremely impressed. Like I say, I think the visuals are wonderful. I love the jets out the back, the planets, and especially the giant enemy space cruiser things.

And as others have said, many thanks for organising it! Game jams are always a good way for me to keep my hand in at the coding when there seems to be so much else going on to take up my time.

@MrValentine
Really sorry to hear you've been struck down like that. Still, it can't be helped and there will always be another game jam. Feel free to take apart the code, although I don't promise that there are any comments . And thanks again for making the banner!

@unlikely
Sorry to hear about your basement!

Quote: "I loved and cherished Intellisense in Synnergy for DBPro as do I in VS2012... which made things a bit slow for me having to hunt the code base for each and every command..."

Have you seen Hodgey's Sublime plugin for AppGameKit? It seems to have intellisense which I agree would be a massive help.

Quote: "I would gladly do this again, it was a ton of fun and hopefully life won't hit anyone with a blowtorch next time. Perhaps the middle of the summer isn't the best time to do this. I would love to do it again in a month or so though"

Yes it would be fun to do a rerun. The more warning we can give and the more of these occur, the more people will be aware of them and try to make time to enter.

Also is anyone here planning on entering the next Ludum Dare (August 24-5) with AppGameKit? I might use it this time and it would be great to see some more TGC people around there. There are enough Unity/Flixl games in LD as it is!!

Anyhow thanks again all; a great weekends coding .

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2013 18:00 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2013 18:08
The Zoq2 + Lucas Tiridath - Thanks I am still recovering, but doing ok, the shame is I planned and stocked up for the whole epic... I might try and get that OpenSource site up though... maybe it can be contributed to?

Jammy - Very nice! [I mean your project not Jam, I mean Jam is nice and tasty but I was talking about your project screenshot]

As this was speedily put together in view of the Kickstarter, I think we got a good few games done nevertheless, better than 1 or none I suppose next trick is getting RickV to take a look over here ^^

I would love to take part in another challenge with fair notice time... but at present I will wait for AppGameKit to get to where I would like it to be, [I need Bullet Physics/PhysX] and I think I best get used to C++ style development as I am in C# at the moment, it is actually harder than it looks, the coding is easy, the structure is the bane

If I find time to fiddle with AppGameKit, before V2 hits waters, I might try to play about a little, but I think I really need a proper physics engine... I think thinking about it again, perhaps it is the structure of the source code that is the problem...

Also another issue, how can I see the C++ help code offline?

Off-Topic-
Two mid teen looking girls just walked into my shop while I was writing this and blurted out, \"something something [this bit sounded like chocobos] some thing something\" and I said, Sorry What!? and then they almost said, Job Openings... And I said I thought you said Chocobos... and then said No nope, Na-Dah... hoping they would understand the language barrier to them getting a job... [Alternatively those doughnuts I ate might have been drugged lol]

EDIT

Quote: "Have you seen Hodgey\'s Sublime plugin for AppGameKit? It seems to have intellisense which I agree would be a massive help.
"

hmm I will wait for it to be integrated into the IDE but frankly I doubt I will continue to use the basic system as I wish to move into tier 2 for my projects...

Still got my Headache left Temple

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2013 19:26
Quote: "Also another issue, how can I see the C++ help code offline?"

Assuming you have AppGameKit installed (good bet, right), then double click on <AGKwindowspath>/IDE/Help/commands.html and it will come up in your default browser. Then pick the command you want to look at. And then click on the 'C++' button/link near the top of the page (it is next to 'Basic' in the 'Language' section).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2013 19:37
Thanks AL, but the reason I was asking is because the documentation in BETA 15 that I have does not switch, it however does on the website...

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2013 20:19 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2013 20:22
My local copy of v10815 had the C++/Basic thingies at the top.

The only appear on pages with actual commands or examples. Not on the lists and index pages.

EDIT: They do appear on some list pages, but they don't do anything. They only work on pages with actual commands and examples. And the pages don't work very well in Internet Explorer (but work fine in FireFox).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Not got the time to try this just at the moment, but a great idea! A bit like Ludlum Dare. Looks like there are some nice entries at the minute!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2013 22:07 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2013 22:09
Never mind I got it to work in a custom IE browser...

I will just stick to using the online one to keep it more accessible... Was just irritating for when I am at the shop, I do not want to install unnecessary applications...

Thanks anyway AL

EDIT

AH there it is, Got to allow blocked ActiveX controls

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2013 23:07
Quote: "Got to allow blocked ActiveX contr"

Yup, I ran into that as well. IE is never my default browser on any platform.

For purposes of testing the web sites I work with for clients, I have 24 different browsers on my Windows box (including multiple versions for Firefox, Avant and Maxim). I also have several different browsers installed on my Mac and Linux boxes and on all my iOS and Android tablets. And I have several virtualized Windows boxes so that I can test older versions of IE (since you can only have one version installed in Windows at a time).

You'd be surprised at how many big name sites just don't work well on many browsers. Some won't work in anything but Internet Explorer or Firefox or Safari.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2013 00:48
Try Ubisofts retail store site on IE lmao

Nice to see your dedication for your work good show!

I used to do something similar I had about 5 or so installations of VPC for the various browser tests but I have lost my interest in typical web development, however jobs keep coming my way and it is annoying to have to turn them down

I really want to move into server side development where I can feel more comfortable... I like designing infrastructure...

But yeah good to have re-identified the Active-X security feature once more I usually just click the x automatically as it is really a serious security issue if you for example ran a DVD from a magazine company for example...

I feel somewhat better today... the shop was dead hot like a sauna... we are to expect thunderstorms for the next two days, looking forward to that...

Time to get back to my Management Studies

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2013 06:34 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2013 06:42
thanks to The Zoq2 for making this JAM. I really enjoyed coding with every spare min. I had over the weekend.

Quote: "I would gladly do this again, it was a ton of fun and hopefully life won't hit anyone with a blowtorch next time. Perhaps the middle of the summer isn't the best time to do this. I would love to do it again in a month or so though"

Please do it again, however perhaps a 7 day Jam would be less likely to be hit with "life" and allow more polished entries. If you are looking for a judge in the future I would be happy to help.

Attached to this post is my code and media. I have taken out the music as My friend( SID ) who made it - allows me to use his music , but not to make the MP3 generally available. Hence The use of Smart Packer Pro to make an exe.

Things unfinished with the game are

1) varying alien waves.
2) High score is not saved.
3) It will probably crash if you sore more than 220 points (Quite hard to do, as It keeps getting harder).
4) Polish.

The Zoq2
Yes the Earth and Moon are 3D. Very easy to do.

Great game - graphics are crisp clear and I like the cloud effect, It moves like a dream, I found it quite hard and I only got to wave 3.

Lucas Tiridath

Don't know why the game crashes for you - I use Windows 7 x64 too.
If you want, you can try the exe in this post or run it through AGK.

Your "4 in a Row"s AI is very impressive. The user interface is easy to use and It even let me win 1 game in 3 .

I got a book out of the library a long time a go, It was written in the 8 bit era and it taught the concept of this sort of AI, starting with Tic Tac Toe and how to adapt it to chess and backgammon etc. I cant remember its name, but I keep looking for it or something similar. Any recommendations ?

MrValentine

Hmm, Thanks, Chocobos, Ta-Dah.
If they had said "Chocobos", would that have helped them get a job ?

SMD_3D Interactive

Love the chopper game. I always did like Chop Lifter and got to level 3 in your game. Graphics are perfect. Controls are great. Difficulty and learning curve are just right. Think this will get my vote.

Attachments

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2013 15:34
@Jammy
Thanks for the new download. That ran just fine for me . Visually very pleasing and a solid mechanic. I liked the little touch that shooting the bullets coming towards you deflects them.

Glad you liked the AI, although I can't claim it's incredibly sophisticated. I've not read much on board game AI but I did read a very useful book on game AI in general called AI Game Programming Wisdom edited by Steve Rabin. It's full of practical advice on all kinds of things like pathfinding, AI teamworking and all sorts really. It's more a collection of articles than a book though. I read the first edition but I gather there are a couple of more modern versions now. Anyhow let me know if you find any other good books on AI as I'm always on the lookout too.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2013 18:33 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2013 18:36
I finaly got around to creating those judging forms. Like I said in the first post, the games are rated based on gameplay, graphics, sound and technical impressivness. Best average scroe wins. You are not allowed to vote on your own game. Try to vote on all games to make it as fair as possible.

Here are the forms:
Earth Defence
48 Light Hours
4-In-A-Row 3D
Chopper rescue
Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2013 18:49
Voted

Nice System.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2013 07:18
ah finally got to a computer to try your guys games out.

I love the vote thing that you put together...very nice!

Earth Defense:

What a cool little game put together in a short time. Graphics looked good, game play was solid....overall A+ for 48hr span

48 Light hrs:

Hey i realy like the parallel back ground scrolling....looks excellent. I wish i had time to throw that into my chopper game but didnt have the time. Graphics id hafta say A+ good job with that! The only thing lacking was music or sfx...i was kinda bumbed out that playing with my speaker volume didnt change anything. Great job overall! well done.

connect 4:

looks like the ai is a good challenge to beat! well done. would have been cool if you could have put some music in....i like games with music

This was a fun little comp and was fun to participate in.

Its cool to see peoples strengths in certain areas...

for example one game that may be lacking in something makes up for it with something else whether its grafix,music,ai... i see something shine from each of these projects.

My votes in and i had to go with Earth Defense as the strongest vote due to great grafix, great music....

This was fun guys....i hope to do this again some time

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2013 19:02
I have updated my game a wee bit and released it on the Google play store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jammysoft.earth_defence

Please try it, any feedback would be appreciated. I Don't have a touch device to try it on. It has only been tested on My Rikomagic Quad Core MK802IV (Android TV stick). Keyboard and mouse are still supported along with touch. No Joypad support as I cant get that working, any Ideas ?.

Thanks again The Zoq2 - this is my first release on Google Play. Without this Jam I would not have got off my ass to do it.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2013 02:41
nice!

I have not tried to compile an android app yet.... was it hard to setup?

Also I think im gunna finish my chopper game now and code the stuff I wanted to get done....such as enemies...etc...

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2013 13:37
It is if you try it yourself, Installing all the software etc.

However Paul Johnston has made it very easy with his "One click deploy to Android (nearly)". here

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=206200&b=41

It is what I used.

My problem is testing at the moment. My phone Htc Wildfire is not compatible (Even though I hacked it to Android 2.3), strangely it works with the freedom engine. The AppGameKit Viewer has stopped working on My I Pad. My Android TV stick runs AppGameKit like a dream, But has no touch support and I cant get AppGameKit to recognise Joypad Fire Button Inputs (the movement part works great).

So please Install my game and let me know how it Runs and on what device. thanks.

I see we made the newsletter. Woohoo.

Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2013 23:37
Quote: "My phone Htc Wildfire is not compatible (Even though I hacked it to Android 2.3)"

Your app requires 2.3.3 and up - something you can change in eclipse if you want your phone to see the app on play.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 19:33:06
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 19:33:06