Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Where is the Mac AGK? - Am I being a dumbo?

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm going to the in-laws who have a mac and I want to carry on programming so I've gone to my account to download the mac version of AppGameKit but I can't see an up to date one. I can see the latest windows version (v108.21) and a Mac OSX one but it's a few versions ago (v106 or something)and named legacy...

So where can I get the latest Mac build?
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2014 13:15
The Windows version is a ZIP that you can open on MAC and extract the folder.
In the folder you will found all the version.

Long life to Steve!
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Aaah, OK Great thanks. I've had a hunt around and seen all sorts of special processes to getting AppGameKit to work on Macs...is it difficult or should it just work 'out of the box'? The Mac I'll be using is only about a year old.
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Just downloaded it on my pc to take a peek and there's just a single exe in it? Does this run on mac and pc and figure out which version to install?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2014 04:44
There is no Mac executable for AGK.

The only IDE for Tier 1 is for Windows.

If you work in Tier 2, you an use Xcode to build and test (I actually use the exact same code for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android in Tier 2).

But, if you are working in Tier 1, then you must have a Windows box to do the development.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Cheers Ancient Lady. I had no idea that there wasn't a Mac IDE. I assumed it being cross platform meant that you could also develop cross platform using AppGameKit 'out of the box'.

Still, I managed to hijack my daughter's laptop and do a bit. Got to say though that actually being taken away from computers does mean I plan things better and as a result my coding is probably faster overall!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2014 06:38
You can develop on a Mac if you go Tier 2. Then you code and compile directly in XCode.

And, if you are careful with your code, you can use the same files in all platforms.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Cheers. I'm mainly on Windows so fine with T1. I'm a bit of a basic fan since my Amos days!

Unless my PC is super fast I'm dead impressed so far with how fast T1 AppGameKit is. I'm making a platform game (who isn't!) and have done some early tests - 5 layers of parallax and running at over 1000 frames per second! No real code in there yet, but I remember someone saying graphics were the main slow down and that the code aspect was pretty fast. Things have moved on quite a bit since my coding in the 90's.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2014 07:12
You might find that parallax (depending on how it is implemented) doesn't work as quickly on some Android and iOS devices (unless that has been fixed since the last time I tried it).

Keep in mind that most hand helds have a lot less memory and CPU capacity than the basic PC.

Do you have any iOS or Android devices that you can broadcast to in order to see how they behave?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Ancient Lady,

Thanks for the insight.

It's a bit of a pet project and I'm enjoying the power of PCs so I'm coding it with desktop PCs and possibly Macs in mind rather than mobile. If I change my mind I can easily enough decrease the layers or remove them altogether. I'm not a fan of mobile devices for gaming where fine control is needed (eg platform game) - I prefer a proper physical controller. I'll do it for PC and if by a lovely miracle AppGameKit can port to the PS4 by the time I've finished it, then I'd love it on that! I still reckon that would be a great target device for AGK. I'll carry on dreaming!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 01:57:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 01:57:36