Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / taking a course

Author
User Banned
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 11:57
hi i just wanted to know thoughts about:
javascript
html5
google api
facebook api
phone gap

im considering about taking this course

pros:
google maps!!! , building applications for facebook, html5 and javascript is something that i know nothing about and wanted to learn that for a long time.

cons:
phone gap which is simillar to agk a multicrossplatform engine or something a like and not learning native which i think is the best way to go .. altough knowing agk will help alot when it comes to other multi cross platforms..

there is another course that teaches native to device , android or ios and it costs twice as much
so its two courses one for ios and second for android at a diffrent school..

can some of you share some thoughts ?
ive been a tgc user for quite some years now and this could deferentially refresh my mind about game development also waiting for agk v2 takes forever

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 12:08
To be honest, I think that you should concentrate on the aspects that employers want to see, rather than your own interest, because really AppGameKit developers have advantages over native developers.

I can code in C++ as well as I can in AppGameKit or DBPro - yet it still takes twice as long to do anything, and it's not like there's a world of difference in performance. A solo developer is much better off using AppGameKit, than native platforms IMO, I think they'd get a lot more done, and it's the idea that makes money these days, not the tech.

So, I would say you need to decide if your learning for your own development, or learning for a job with an app company.

If your not worried about potential employment, I would say that sticking with AppGameKit, but also looking into some HTML5 stuff is a good bet. Maybe even look into the engine that our old compadre Rich Davey has come up with for AS2... www.photonstorm.com
I think it would be cool to use AppGameKit for mobile platforms and rapid development, then port to AS2 for online versions.

I am the one who knocks...
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 20:01
It's always good to learn something about different platforms.
I've been meaning to learn more about Java script and HTML5 for a while. I pick up little bits here and there and since I'm not developing for web-based platforms I haven't learned much or decided to buckle down and take some of the courses I have on Udemy.

What's your goals? More anchored toward game development or app development? If app development then the courses you mention are probably pretty good. If game development then I'd spend my time learning Unity, C#, and Blender.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
everyone seems to be working in Unity in the game dev world these days.

you see unity mentioned everywhere you go, on forum requests, etc...
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2014 20:07
I hate unity
I hate all visual engine, i want to code manually all, from the button to the sprite.

Long life to Steve!
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2014 20:21
You can manually code whatever you want in Unity if you prefer. Oftentimes you might have to so that you can ensure good compatibility with multiple mobile devices. The power of Unity lies in being able to easily tinker with settings for animations, physics, and particles. Your games don't seem to use any of that, so I wouldn't go with Unity either if I were you.

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2014 22:19
Haliop this does not pertain to agk.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2014 16:08
Gekko, these engines like Unity and Cryengine Sandbox work very differently to AppGameKit etc... they are really full engines with a level editor - so the terrain for example can be a standard, rather than the developer having to make their own terrain system, editor, object placement editor, animation setup editor.... the list goes on and on and on for anyone trying to make an open world or FPS game.

I prefer Cryengine3 myself, I've used the cut down editors with Farcry and always had a blast making levels, so Cryengine3 is a natural progression for me. These systems do favor artists over programmers, but for the projects that these engines are best for, that's the sensible way. Nobody ever plays an ugly FPS, content quality is a big factor these days, and it's taking precedence over most other things... it's the price you pay for Farcry quality environments, you need to be able to make the media to populate these environments, and the sandbox/visual editors is simply the best way to make that accessible for everyone.

I am the one who knocks...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 05:25:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 05:25:14