Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK & Windows 10

Author
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
The days of the windows exe are being challenged once again.

With Windows 10, "Universal Apps" that work across desktops, tablets, mobile and even Xbox One, will become the new standard.

Isn't it time that AppGameKit steps ups and we get an option to export as Universal App to keep up with times?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 18:32
What do you prefer right now, V2 functions completed, or dropped in favour of Universal Apps that don't launch until some unspecified time after April 2015, and only work with Microsoft technology?

Let's hope that we can create Universal Apps when they happen, but they are at least 6 to 9 months away, and then people have to get the new technology before they can use them.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 19:07 Edited at: 1st Oct 2014 19:09
Well, "universal app" by Microsoft's definition constitutes only Windows-based devices, excluding the very large percentage of the population on non-Microsoft mobile devices and tablets as well as those on alternate operating systems (Mac/Linux). AppGameKit is already way more universal than that if you consider universal to be anything outside of Microsoft products built on Microsoft technology. Yes it would be nice to have support for Windows Phone and Xbox One in the future (Lee Bamber indicated it was possible to develop for Windows Phone on an internal build at one point) but I wouldn't say it's a priority right now.
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 19:16
Quote: "What do you prefer right now, V2 functions completed..."

Although I am a windows user in general (PC, Windows Phone etc), I prefer V2 functions completed with the debugger also!
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 19:50
i think "Universal Apps" using "next" .net framework,
thats a compleate new target "os".
agk now it used c++ for pc.

AGK 108 (B)19 + AppGameKit V2 Alpha .. : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon R7 265
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@BatVink I don't expect to see AppGameKit support universal apps tomorrow, it's just a note so that TGC start thinking about it in the long run
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 21:23
That's a fair point. One thing to factor in is the platforms that TGC invested in that disappeared, like Bada. If you have a small team, maybe it's best to let the big boys create the momentum first. Then if it fails, it fails at somebody else's cost.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 21:49
Also have to think about the adoption rate of Windows products. It is VERY slow. So even when they release in April pretty much only people on the market for new computers will be getting the Windows 10. And for mobile, their market share is so low it is painful!
But I would like to see this supported in the future as well.

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 22:29
in the past (~2003) ms make the big mistake and make different .net framework for
pc and mobil hardware.
so pc and mobile was split in 2 software projects.

AGK 108 (B)19 + AppGameKit V2 Alpha .. : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon R7 265
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 22:57
I don't think there's much difference between a current executable and what's coming with W10. It's just a way of making Metro apps less a pain in the arse for desktop users.

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
many missed the point.... Xbox One will also support Universal Apps
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 01:09 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2014 01:14
@bjadams
for me the Xbox One is only interesting if i can sell agk games there
and ms do NOT want a expensive fee each year.
i know from xbox 360 that u fulfill much rules for make a game public in shop.
the result is a ms target only.
ms target only u can develope better direct with the ms sdk.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 12:39
When did we skip over Windows 9?

I think Linux is a much better choice for AGK. It's been around for ages and uses OpenGL.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@Markus, Xbox One is good if you can make a pro looking game
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 14:27
From the Xbox One wiki:

Quote: "
The Windows kernel on the Xbox is not compatible with standard Windows programs, though developers can port them over with little effort
"

----------------
AGK programmer
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Xbox One will get an update. All MS platforms will conform to Win10 Universal App standard
Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 17:09
Quote: "With Windows 10, "Universal Apps" that work across desktops, tablets, mobile and even Xbox One, will become the new standard."

...and a way to get you to re-buy all the apps you already own

Seriously? Microsoft lost the plot after XP.
(puts on flame retardant hat)
Does anyone own an XBone ? Most reviews I see have the word "disappointing" in them. But maybe I hang around the wrong kinds of sites

"universal", pah! 10^24 stars in the Universe and MS have coverage of what, half of one planet at most.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 18:18
I think Windows 7 is good.

PS4 is outselling Xbone by 2:1. The $100 price drop didn't seem to have affected this. We will see what happens during the holidays when people actually buy consoles. Wii U have still sold more than Xbone and the big game releases keep pushing units. Smash is coming this season. So Xbone is not a very hot platform at the moment. MS also have a bad track record with indie relations.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 20:26
Windows 7 is excellent.

As I said before - all it means is metro style apps will run in a window, rather than full screen. Hurray!

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Everyone is bashing Windows, yet most are DBpro users... that only works on Windows
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 22:58
Quote: "Windows 7 is excellent."

+1
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 23:26
Windows 8.1 is better than 7. OS X is good also.

----------------
AGK programmer
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2014 04:15
Since Windows Phone 8 is DirectX only I suspect that these Universal Apps will require DirectX as well. If that is the case it would actually be easier for us to support Linux than Windows Universal Apps. I assume Windows 10 will still run normal Windows desktop apps like the current version of AppGameKit on Windows, otherwise Microsoft might be in trouble.
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Definitely get V2 done first...then lots of publicity...then the rest.

Windows 7 - my choice. I've avoided 8 like the plague and like DA - what happened to windows 9?!?!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2014 12:29
Since every other Windows has historically been bad-ish and Windows 7 is good and Windows 8 hasn't had a good start, it seems like a bad omen to skip nr 9

nickele upgraded
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2014 16:29
According to some (scary) rumors, the reason that Windows 9 was omitted as a name is... some software checking Windows 95 & 98 compatibility!

For example the article: http://www.neowin.net/news/rumors-suggest-the-reason-microsoft-skipped-over-windows-9-is-because-of-windows-95

"For Those About to Program We Salute You"
DennisW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2014 16:52
I had a pc with Vista on it. So I thought I have nothing to lose by installing Windows 10 so I can test it. So far I have noticed that it's starting to look a lot like Windows 7. It has something like a start button (window). That list all your apps. They also have when you do a search on your pc it will also search the internet at the same time. I don't like that much. All that does is throw more ads at you. The windows do snap a little better. I think they are doing there best to make amends for Windows 8. It will be fun to see how it will progress.

Ham and Eggs Breakfast
The Chicken was involved the Pig was Committed
AGK Community Tester

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 08:55:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 08:55:16