Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK Version 2 Alpha 9

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2014 18:19 Edited at: 14th Nov 2014 15:19
I've uploaded Alpha 9 to the downloads area with the following changes

For those of you want to use Blackberry you will need to upgrade to the 2.1 version of the Playbook SDK, not the Blackberry 10 SDK, this is because the Playbook SDK is compatible with both Playbook and Blackberry 10 devices, but the Blackberry 10 SDK is not compatible with the Playbook. Currently Blackberry does not support the following commands, they will do nothing

This will probably be the first test of the auto updater. If you selected to install the additional files with "Update these files" selected then the new IDE will update them or prompt you depending on what you picked. If you want to change these settings or install the new files manually then check out the Tools->Install Additional Files menu option.

Let me know what you find.

Edit - Known Issues:
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome. Even I wasn't using DeleteTween, my tween problems went away.

Thanks for the update.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2014 19:14 Edited at: 13th Nov 2014 19:14
@Paul,

Thanks for the update.

Did you happen to have a chance to take a look at the issues I reported in the Alpha 8 thread?

Here they are in case you missed them:

Quote: "
I'm seeing a lot of stuttering with tweens, I'm getting a full 60 FPS and I'm not using any sort of view offset. Two of my apps are using the tweening system and I'm seeing stuttering in both of them. The stuttering is most obvious when tweening a sprite's position.

In my current game, I am tweening 5 sprites to fly from on screen to off screen (off to the left) at the same time with a duration of 1 second. The sprites stutter along the way. I thought maybe it was because of UpdateAllTweens(GetFrameTime()) so I tried using a constant time step for UpdateAllTweens() such as UpdateAllTweens(1/60.0) but that didn't seem to help.
"

Quote: "
I have found a pretty bad bug on iOS that caused my app to be rejected from the app store. Sometimes (you have to play around with it a bit) bringing down the status bar will cause an app to lock up/freeze. It seems to happen most of the time if you pull the status bar down while something is tweeninig. Also, it causes the CPU usage to spike to 100%.
"

Sean

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2014 19:32
Quote: "I'm seeing a lot of stuttering with tweens, I'm getting a full 60 FPS and I'm not using any sort of view offset."

I haven't seen this happen, can you give me a small example?

Quote: "Sometimes (you have to play around with it a bit) bringing down the status bar will cause an app to lock up/freeze. It seems to happen most of the time if you pull the status bar down while something is tweeninig."

Do you still get this with Alpha 9? I tried a quick test but couldn't replicate it. Could you give me an example that definitely reproduces it, even if it is random?
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2014 19:33
Thank you Paul for SetSpriteAdditionalImage() I have to try it.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
will it work with the new & free VS2013 Community Edition ?
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2014 19:52 Edited at: 13th Nov 2014 19:53
Stupid question, but how to I add an existing file to a project?

Ok, found it myself right after posting it. Doooh
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2014 19:58 Edited at: 13th Nov 2014 19:59
Blackberry support! :p

sweet! now i can make use of my mac and my playbooks again!

thanks allot paul! your efforts are much appreciated!

Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2014 20:04 Edited at: 14th Nov 2014 08:22
@Paul

Thank you for the new Alpha and the Blackberry support, I won my Playbook from Blackberry with an AppGameKit app and am keen to try this with V2.
I am already using the Playbook SDK 2.1 so will attempt to create a V2 player.
I am still getting Playbook and Blackberry 10 downloads of my V1 apps.

Do you plan to include a .BAR exporter within the IDE?

Do you plan to update the AppGameKit Player on Blackberry App World? it is still at Version 1.0.10815.4

Update: Version V2 of Blackberry Player is now on Blackberry App World.
http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/59945865/?lang=en&countrycode=GB

PS. Great to see the Demo Competition entries included with this release.

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I haven't seen this happen, can you give me a small example?"

Do you have access to my competition entry, "Puzzle Me This"? If not, you can try it on Android here:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bssoftware.puzzlemethis

If you don't have access to the code and you need it, let me know.

Quote: "Do you still get this with Alpha 9? I tried a quick test but couldn't replicate it. Could you give me an example that definitely reproduces it, even if it is random?"

I'll have to try it with Alpha 9, the game that I was testing this with is "Puzzle Me This," which was my competition entry. If you need a different example, I'll see if I can come up with a small example. This bug seems to happen while sprites are in the middle of tweening, I'm not sure if that's just a coincidence or not.

Sean

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2014 20:53
Quote: "will it work with the new & free VS2013 Community Edition ?"

I don't think so, but now that they've made it free it's moved up my priority list.

Quote: "Do you plan to include a .BAR exporter within the IDE?"

Probably not, it would be a lot of work for a platform that isn't very popular.

Quote: "Do you plan to update the AppGameKit Player on Blackberry App World?"

I've submitted a new app for version 2, just waiting for it to be approved.

Quote: "I was testing this with is "Puzzle Me This,""

Gave it a quick test and it does look like something is going on, best guess right now is that the end time of the tween is happening when the device is paused due to the notification bar being displayed. As such the Tween never gets positioned at its final destination and stays where it was.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "best guess right now is that the end time of the tween is happening when the device is paused due to the notification bar being displayed."

That sounds like it might be the problem, makes sense since it usually happens while tweening. Did you notice the tweening sprites stuttering?

Sean

MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
The demo labyrinth from the competition crashes the player on OSX 10.8.5 right at the start.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2014 21:16 Edited at: 13th Nov 2014 21:16
The showcase/echo+ folder has no project file to load.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2014 21:52
Quote: "The demo labyrinth from the competition crashes the player on OSX 10.8.5 right at the start."

It looks like this is caused by trying to load a 6420x3210 image which Mac scales to 1605x802.5 using floats instead of ints. Using a smaller image (no larger than 2048x2048) should work, or one that can be scaled down without fractional numbers, but I'll fix the crash for the next version.

Quote: "The showcase/echo+ folder has no project file to load."

The echos game is executable only, no source code I'm afraid. I was trying to think of a suitable name for its folder and showcase seemed like an appropriate description in this case.
Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2014 21:54
@Paul

Almost there getting my V2 BlackBerry Player built, I just have one error

Any idea how to resolve please?

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2014 22:29 Edited at: 13th Nov 2014 22:32
Quote: "Almost there getting my V2 BlackBerry Player built, I just have one error"

Ah, I forgot to refresh the project before building it. For now I would recommend going in to interpreters/AGKCommandSwitch.h and towards the very end of the file commenting out the line
I'll get this fixed for the next version.

I'll update the player on the Blackberry store so you can download a fixed version for testing if you need that command.
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2014 22:43
Where can I find the competition entries?

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2014 22:49
Quote: "Where can I find the competition entries?"

In the Tools->Install Additional Files dialog you can install the sample projects to a location of your choice, if you have not already done so. In there is a folder name "User Demos" which contain the competition entries.
Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2014 23:21 Edited at: 13th Nov 2014 23:23
@Paul

Quote: "For now I would recommend going in to interpreters/AGKCommandSwitch.h and towards the very end of the file commenting out the line "

Thank you, that fix seems to have allowed me to build with (zero) errors

Alex_Peres
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2014 00:05
Free VS2013 Community Edition and opened .NET code are kind of revolution...
AGK must use that!
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2014 03:15 Edited at: 14th Nov 2014 03:16
Quote: "Fixed Mac LoadImage with the BlackToAlpha parameter set to 1 not working"

so i just tested this paul and it still does not work.

it just draws black over the area thats suppose to be see through.

is this happening on all macs? or just mine?

mac osx 10.10
2.26ghz intel core 2 duo
4gb ram
nvidia geforce 9400 256mb

basicaly unchanged from the last alpha 8. but the mouse problem is now fixed

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
@Paul,

ShowImageCaptureScreen() and ShowChooseImageScreen() don't seem to work on Blackberry.

Sean

mindsclay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2014 08:36 Edited at: 14th Nov 2014 08:38
I broadcasted to my tablet to verify operation. I found something not working, so I made some modifications. When I perform subsequent broadcastings, the app running via the AppGameKit player is not updated. In fact, it is in the state before I made changes

Why is the app not reloading when I broadcast??

I am using AppGameKit V2 alpha 8 and AppGameKit Player V2 build Oct 23, 2014

home.wavecable.com/~mindsclay
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2014 10:12
@Mindslcay> This is the Alpha 9 thread. Download and install Alpha 9 and see if you still have this problem. There have been several fixes over 8 (see first post).

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2014 13:19
Thx Paul, downloading it now.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2014 15:24 Edited at: 14th Nov 2014 15:24
Quote: "Did you notice the tweening sprites stuttering?"

Not during normal game play.

Quote: "so i just tested this paul and it still does not work."

Using your pngtest example both images are now transparent for me on Mac.

Quote: "ShowImageCaptureScreen() and ShowChooseImageScreen() don't seem to work on Blackberry."

They are currently not implemented, I've added them to the list. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of documentation for Blackberry native development and I'm limited to the Playbook SDK commands.

Quote: "When I perform subsequent broadcastings, the app running via the AppGameKit player is not updated"

This was a known issue in Alpha 7 that was caused if the device time was set in the future compared to the computer doing the broadcasting, but this should be fixed in Alpha 8 and 9. Can you confirm if it is related to your device time, does changing the time backwards and forwards affect it?
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2014 20:08
I can confirm that the audio commands including Rate now work correctly on Android. Thanks, Paul.

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2014 21:56
I may have found a bug with the new SetSpriteAdditionalImage command. Though it may just be a case of "you're not supposed to do that!"

If I create a blank sprite, then add an image to it and finally apply a shader to the sprite, the program will crash.

Something like this:

I can provide a more complete example if needed.

Also, I'm new to shaders but there seems like the shaders can get some data from AppGameKit without the use of the SetShaderConstantByName command. For example, I can access the variables "agk_time" and "agk_resolution" in the pixel shader code without doing anything in the AppGameKit code. Is there a list of those variables somewhere?
Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2014 23:07
One more question.
There was added support for XBox 360 controllers a while ago (I don't remember in which version) but my gamepad works the same as before (D-pad doesn't work and the trigger buttons cancel each other out).
Should I still use the getRawJoystick commands or were there added some new commands with the 360 controller support?
I don't actually have a 360 controller but a 3rd party PC/PS2/PS3 controller. Does that make any difference?
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2014 01:03
Quote: "If I create a blank sprite, then add an image to it and finally apply a shader to the sprite, the program will crash."

Ah, yes, if you don't have a main image then the UV coordinates never get sent to the shader, so if you try and use an additional image it crashes. For now I recommend always having a base image if you want to use additional images.

Quote: "Should I still use the getRawJoystick commands or were there added some new commands with the 360 controller support? I don't actually have a 360 controller but a 3rd party PC/PS2/PS3 controller. Does that make any difference?"

You should use the getRawJoystick commands for all joysticks. During setup AppGameKit attempts to detect XInput devices (like the XBox 360 controller) and for anything else it uses DirectInput. I don't have a PS3 controller to test but does it claim to be compatible with XInput? I've read that there are some wrappers that make it compatible but I'm not sure if our XInput device detection works with them.
Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2014 01:21 Edited at: 15th Nov 2014 01:22
Thanks for the reply Paul.

As I suspected the additional image/shader crash was a case of "Don't do that!"

I guess my joystick is detected as a non 360 controller and use the DirectInput as it did before the update. As I said I use a PC/PS2/PS3 controller. It works fine with non-AGK games. I've also tried with a PS3 controller but I couldn't get it to work at all on my PC so I don't know if's compatible with XInput.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Not during normal game play."

Interesting, I notice it often on a wide range of devices PCs, Android devices (Moto X, Nexus 7, HTC One M8), iOS devices (iPhone 4 and iPhone 5).

Sean

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2014 03:37
Quote: "Quote: "Fixed Mac LoadImage with the BlackToAlpha parameter set to 1 not working"

so i just tested this paul and it still does not work."

ok i don't know what i did...but now it works.... sorry for the alarm!

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2014 03:56 Edited at: 15th Nov 2014 03:57
ok paul....actually there is still a problem with the mouse on mac.

when i set the position:

setrawmouseposition(512,300)

if I'm trying to measure movement from the mouse to adjust other game element values from mouse position i get nothing.

so to break it down further....

i position the mouse every sync
i take mouse measurements to calculate movement then reposition mouse for readings again

now on windows this works fine... i can pull my data off every sync and reset the mouse position.

on mac i did a test and infact need to set mouse position once every 8 to 10 syncs just to register any mouse movement before reseting the mouse position. why is this? the delay is way to massive to even work with. at first i thought i could just reset the mouse position every 2nd frame or so...but no
it only registers change after about 7-8 frames and is way too choppy to deal with.

is this fixable or shall i choose a different way to register values from the mouse? I can do it... but it would be nicer if agk would work similarly across windows and mac. so if it works on one it should on the other type of deal..

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2014 04:04 Edited at: 15th Nov 2014 04:09
ok a perfect example is if you download this:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=212261&b=41
from first post...

try using the simple mouse movements in the editor ...and they work fine on windows.

they do not register on mac.....however if i code a wait flag in there to reset mouse positions every 8-10 syncs then the mac finally starts registering some values.

check lines 360,373 on main.agc to see what I'm trying to do.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2014 04:08 Edited at: 15th Nov 2014 04:11
edit: Dang you safari for the multi posts....... I hope google's web browser works for mac cause I'm switching over...

unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2014 05:22 Edited at: 15th Nov 2014 05:23
@SM3D
Just a super wild guess here, but it could possibly have something to do with the smoothing / acceleration OSX puts on the mouse by default??

Still weird that it only registers *anything* after 8 syncs...
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2014 10:42
You probably need to increase the sample/polling rate of the mouse.

JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2014 12:43
I love the new Export IPA option, but can we get the splash images added to the exporter?

Also, the 2 default images don't work great for all devices, it's best to have images for all device screen sizes.

If I replace the 2 default images in the ipa it won't let me install the app on the device. This means I will have to submit the ipa with the AppGameKit logos on boot up, which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if they were nice hi res images of agk2 and not horrible looking low res images of agk1.
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2014 21:01
Quote: "ok paul....actually there is still a problem with the mouse on mac."
Yeah I've reported this to Paul too.

For me SetRawMousePosition() doesn't work as expected in fullscreen, although it does seem to work in windowed.

It obviously needs to be fixed, but I'm in a rush so rewriting my own mouse handling code to avoid using SetRawMousePosition().

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2014 22:14 Edited at: 15th Nov 2014 22:17
Has anyone successfully used Chartboost in a live application yet? I seem to be having issues...

When I first used Chartboost in my app, I successfully received the 'test' full screen ad, along with an email confirming successful implementation of the SDK (just an email you receive from Chartboost when you make your first ad request)... So far so good... However, when I changed my ad settings to disable test mode, I am no longer able to receive any ads. It looks as though AppGameKit is trying to pull an ad, as the screen darkens, but then nothing happens and the app just resumes...

If anyone gets the chance, would you mind downloading the following free app, and see if you get the same problem. The ad should load just after you die, and the screen has scrolled back to the bottom... If you watch closely, the screen darkens and from what I gather, is AppGameKit trying to load the ad...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.funichproductions.rocketrun

EDIT: I just tried switching over to AdMob and the ad's are loading fine, so I think this is an issue only with Chartboost...
BobH0905
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2014 22:37
Quote: "Failed to open file for writing C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Local/AGKApps/Time05/JoystickOuter.png"

This issue is now resolved. After a complete reinstallation of Windows 7 Professional, and a complete rebuild of my data directory, it all works.
I don't definitely know, but I'm fairly certain, that it was due to me moving my data files from C: to F:. There are a few hits on the internet about similar problems, and all refer to data files being relocated.
I think that the issue was that I went too far in moving my directories, and moved a couple that Microsoft don't provide a simple means of changing the location of. So 100% my own fault. Just unfortunate that it's always worked up to now, and was only highlighted with AppGameKit 7.1
Thank you for the time you spent helping me sort it out.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2014 22:42
Funnel7 -> Installed RocketRun. No ads. Screen dims very briefly for a split second when you die. Can't exit the game either. Back button does nothing

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2014 22:47
Quote: "Funnel7 -> Installed RocketRun. No ads. Screen dims very briefly for a split second when you die. Can't exit the game either. Back button does nothing "

Thanks for trying CJB, appreciate it!! I think that confirms there is an issue here. As for the back button, yeah, need to add that! Thanks...

Paul... I guess this is one for you to take a look at?
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2014 11:48 Edited at: 16th Nov 2014 11:48
Thank you Paul for this great new update !

http://www.dracaena-studio.com
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2014 12:34
Quote: "Has anyone successfully used Chartboost in a live application yet? I seem to be having issues..."

I just tried one of my games and chart boost is working fine on Android and iOS
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2014 13:42
Quote: " I just tried one of my games and chart boost is working fine on Android and iOS"

Ok, that's good news, because now it's likely my issue and not AGK's The thing is, setting up ads is so simple, I'm not sure where it could be going wrong. I'll try again with a new app, thanks for the reply.
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2014 15:04
in alpha 9 the export APK option ask me for a keystore password even if i don't provide any signing info (which is optionnal no ?)

And the hints over Alias and Alias password TextBoxes are not the good ones

--------------
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2014 15:18
Quote: "When I first used Chartboost in my app,..."

This was happening to me but it was because I had not created a new campaign for android, since I had ios one running already.

Hopefully this is your problem too because it's easily fixed

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-19 09:17:19
Your offset time is: 2024-03-19 09:17:19