Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / BUG: Right Shift Operator >> Retains MSB (Sign Bit on Shift)

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
HI,

AGK V2.0.10

When using the RightShift Operator on an INTEGER, the MSB or SIGN Bit is retain, so if I had a binary Pattern

I would expect

However I see

The help file doesn't suggest a rotate of the bits 0 - 30 only.

Kind Regards
Jason
www.wonkypix.com

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/newtons-nonsense/id473520354?ls=1&mt=8
paulrobson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2015 08:21
Ah , well, now there's the thing.

Historically processors have two forms of each shift - the logical shift and the arithmetic shift. For left shifts they are identical. For right shifts the arithmetic shift preserves the most significant bit - because it is dividing by 2.

The jolly is that C and C++ do not actually specify what right shifts do for negative numbers (the code is correct in the VM) so it may be a bug and it may be a poorly explained shift. I'm inclined to go with the latter.

I will add it to the bug list.
Muckypaws
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Paul,

Yep I agree with the definitions of the shift, however the documentation doesn't describe it as the arithmetic shift (preserving the MSB), I can work around it, perhaps the VM can support both types of SHIFT? Possibly using >>> for the signed shift, but I think Java treats >>> differently.

I've used Tier 2, but now playing around with Tier 1 to see what I can create as a demo, it's been an interesting learning curve, finding some of the nuances of tier 1 basic.

Thanks for your help!

Jason
www.wonkypix.com

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/newtons-nonsense/id473520354?ls=1&mt=8

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 06:25:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 06:25:56