Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Feature Creep / Customize Inventory?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2015 20:23
An idea I had a while back was that it would be nice if you could, with ease, customize the type of inventory. For example;

A backpack-style inventory? Specific room available for all equipment picked up, including health packs, keys, ammo and weapons.

Parameters for how many weapons you can carry, and thus the ability to change weapons?

An inventory menu, rather than using 1-9 to select guns?

My last suggestion would be a method of assigning open hands to key '0' rather than having it completely unarmed. Just seems like a useful feature for 'realism.'

Any thoughts?

Life's just a game.

..it was probably made using FPSC.
Sinister Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
If you wanted to spend a weekend coding it you could probably make what you want pretty easliy.

Im sure GUI x9 has mouse over commands although wether you can use this ingame isnt known to me at this point.

You could create an inventory system as a series of images,say a grid
for where the items go, icons to fit in the grid to represent the items and glowing areas to go behind each menu item to signify its highlighted

then code it using the arrows keys to navigate.

As an example imagine the inventory opens and loads the back ground image and any items you may have collected, the currently highlighted box is close inventory. tap the right key to say highlight the first invenory item. at the same time spawn the glow patch for that item behind it, maybe set a specific variable for that item say its a water item, globalvar=highlightwater, so its showing the player that their water is highlighted, the variable is telling the engine thats what the player wishes to interact with it, then you have the option of giving a value to the variable, say between 1-100 representing the percentage of water the player currently has, then if player hits enter, they interact with the water, else if the player presses an arrow key it repeats the process again in whichever direction the player pushed the key.

You can have variables to represent tabs, such as map, items, weapons, and repeat the inventory on a modular basis for each tab and then each item slot within.

It will be a lot of coding but the main work will be in creating all the images you would need

thats how Id do it anyway, model it off the earlier resident evil or tomb raider games, hell even something like dark souls inventory system would be possible to the determined coder.

smoke em if you got em
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2015 00:45
Quote: "If you wanted to spend a weekend coding it you could probably make what you want pretty easliy.

Im sure GUI x9 has mouse over commands although wether you can use this ingame isnt known to me at this point.
"

You can. Here is the starting framework of a WIP we have going...

... I have added more to this WIP since then but do not have a video yet posted. The point is the commands do exist to do it with scripting.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 05:42:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 05:42:57