Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [Released] Here Be Pirates

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2015 17:23 Edited at: 27th Apr 2015 19:22
No longer available ----
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2015 17:36
Very nice...The kids will love it!

Congrats on your first release!

You should add us a description of your app on the forums and maybe a few pictures
Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
Many thanks I have taken your advice and added a pictures and a description.
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2015 18:36
@Polaraul

Great APP, very striking graphics, love the styling and smoothness and also how easy it is to use.

Did you do the graphics yourself and what did you use to create them?

One little thing, I think you are waiting for an update to AppGameKit like me regarding the save feature with the old turn off and on for the phone before the picture appears in the gallery.
Let's hope Paul updates this sooner rather than later.
It could be said it is an update however when integrated

Have you thought of some more sound effects?
Eg,

when pressing save - "OOOH ARRRRGH!"

when instructions pressed - "I'LL SHOW YOU MORE GOLD!"

that type of thing

Well done and great work!

Programming - AMOS on the AMIGA! / DBPro / Python / A bit of C C++ / now also AGK2! - Graphics - Deluxe Paint on the Amiga / Paintshop Pro / Photoshop / Lightroom / Grafx2
Previously worked for Prisma Software producing childrens educational software on the Amiga - Titles - Pepe's Garden - Paint Pot / Kids Academy range - Paint Pot II / Shopping Basket / Which Where What? / Blobs / Alvin's Puzzles
Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
Many thanks for your comments Paul, they are very much appreciated and encouraging.

I'm afraid that I cannot claim that I did the graphics myself, the graphics I used can be found here

I built the engine as a basis for other avatar creators, however, as you have mentioned here in the forums, there is a very real problem with the PrintImage() command. I, like you, hope that Paul updates this soon. At the moment it just appears that my app is bugged.

I had toyed with the idea of other sounds, but as I haven't factored in any real sound options (mute etc.) I decided against this for now. Next iteration of the engine I will probably address this.

Once again, many thanks Paul
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2015 20:37
Great work, bet it's a good feeling to have an APP out. I can't wait to finish mine

Programming - AMOS on the AMIGA! / DBPro / Python / A bit of C C++ / now also AGK2! - Graphics - Deluxe Paint on the Amiga / Paintshop Pro / Photoshop / Lightroom / Grafx2
Previously worked for Prisma Software producing childrens educational software on the Amiga - Titles - Pepe's Garden - Paint Pot / Kids Academy range - Paint Pot II / Shopping Basket / Which Where What? / Blobs / Alvin's Puzzles
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2015 21:32 Edited at: 25th Feb 2015 22:02
Sweet!
I have been wanting to do this for multi player game avatars.
Just haven't gotten around to those yet though, still doing singles.
Looks great, and I'm going to play with it now. (rated, arrgh)

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
Many thanks for all the comments and feedback It is very much appreciated and a great encouragement to keep working with AppGameKit
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2015 16:00
Congratulations on getting your developer badge.

Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
@conjured Many thanks I didn't notice the badge until you mentioned it!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2015 17:26
Looks like you solved your challenges with multiple layers of sprites and performance.

Nice job

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
@Batvink Many thanks This was very much a learning curve, and I think this project taught me a few things about sprites and texture atlases. In the end I managed to get my 60 FPS on all devices.

If I revisited this project there are some things I would change. I used SetDisplayAspect( 3.0 / 4.0 ), next time I will probably use SetVirtualResolution(). Also, I didn't design with advertising banners in mind and ran out of screen real estate. I also learned that your work actually begins when the project has been completed!

Once again though, many thanks to all who helped me work out the issues I came across when creating the App
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2015 18:14 Edited at: 26th Feb 2015 18:22
Quote: " I didn't notice the badge until you mentioned it! "

I notice things like that right away, because I have not earned the AppGameKit Developers Badge yet.

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"... Mexican Bandits posing as Federales in an old Humphry Bogart movie, "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" (c) 1948

Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
@Conjured I have totally adopted that badge I am sure you will get yours soon too
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2015 18:46
Quote: "@Conjured I have totally adopted that badge I am sure you will get yours soon too "

Im surprised you don't have one make sure you don't. There is an Edit button under your name. You can edit your badges.
I had to edit mine for it to be shown.

Thanks Polaraul for sharing the link to where you purchased your graphics. It helps me a lot.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2015 01:04 Edited at: 27th Feb 2015 04:18
YAY!

Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
@Crazy Programmer You're very welcome

@Conjured Congrats on the badge, looking pretty good
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2015 17:28
I wonder if you can buy stuff off that site, if you can use it in an app.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2015 19:14
Quote: "I wonder if you can buy stuff off that site, if you can use it in an app."

I bought stuff and am using it. There are 2 types of license you must read the details.
Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
If you do not charge for your app, you will be able to use a regular license. If you intend to charge for your app, then you will need to purchase the much more expensive extended license.

www.polaraul.com
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2015 13:02
@Polaraul

Just a thought regarding the save feature, I put this sentence in my description for Paint Pot:

Known issues:
Save feature – if you find you can’t see the saved picture on your device, then just restart the phone or tablet and it will be in your device gallery. This is currently being fixed as we speak so watch out for an update soon.

At least then the person using the app knows it is being looked at.

I did a pirate page to colour in on my app in homage to yours

Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
@spectrepaul

You have created a great app, with a very slick UI. It deserves to be a success and I hope it gets the recognition it deserves. Love the Pirates I have downloaded and rated

Thank you for the advice about updating the description. I have a friend who is pretty tech savy, and on his Blackberry device he couldn't find the image at all. I don't really have enough user interest in the app at the moment, but I suspect lots of users would be scratching their heads wondering where the image had gone!

I had hoped to release a number of such apps with different themes based around the pirates engine, but have put this on hold for now. AppGameKit users have been flagging up issues with the PrintImage() command for a long while, and if I am honest, I don't expect this will be fixed soon

I will probably just dabble around with the pirates app as a learning experience, and maybe if I can polish the source code enough, release it here on the forums so others can perhaps use it as the basis of future projects.

www.polaraul.com
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2015 19:44
Quote: " I have downloaded and rated "

Cheers for that pal, the more we can help each other and voting etc the better for all if we can get some recognition on these apps

Quote: "I will probably just dabble around with the pirates app as a learning experience"

Think you should keep at it on the back burner so to speak though as it is a nice little app ready for the Print update.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 02:34:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 02:34:47