Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [Released] Dinky Racing

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2015 19:54 Edited at: 11th Apr 2015 18:44
Hello all.

I have just release my newest game "Dinky Racing" on the Google Play store. It is a retro style 2D racing game inspired by classics such as Super Sprint and Micro Machines. Anyone old enough to remember them?

The emphasis is on 'easy to play' so you don't have to worry about acceleration, braking, gears or damage. Just press the left side of the screen to turn left or the right side to turn right. Simple! There are three skill levels so it should be playable by everyone.

Screenshots:

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsrjC_Aps4A

The FULL version has 24 tracks (so far):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.worldbydesign.dinkyracingfull

The FREE version has 6 tracks for you to try:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.worldbydesign.dinkyracingfree

I hope you enjoy it.

EDIT: Now available in Amazon Apps too for those with a Kindle Fire, Fire Phone or Android device with the Amazon App installed.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/dl/android?p=com.worldbydesign.dinkyracingfull&showAll=1

Chart data provided with kind permission from ELSPA
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2015 23:57
Looks cool!

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 00:04 Edited at: 15th Mar 2015 00:07
Nice work
Just downloaded and played a couple of tracks, very well put together. I recommend others to download and see how a game can be presented using AGK.

Yes...I remember Micro Machines
You could do something similar to MM with different scenarios, unless it still infringes their IP After all these years. You can't beat a race around the apple and across the fork bridge.

MM screenie

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 00:27
Okay. I was download #2.

Getting a handle on the steering took a bit.

Fun!

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 01:28 Edited at: 15th Mar 2015 14:18
I am downloading the free version now.
You have a very nice pricing model offering a free with multiple tracks, and then pay a little to get a lot.
You should do well with this as it has a nice retro look and 3 levels of difficulty, and the everybody rating.

Be right back with some feedback...

Edit
Very Cool
I like the fact that you don't need to brake or accelerate as it runs wide open all the time. (that is how I race anyway, wide open with the pedal to the metal)
I had a little trouble with the steering controls but it was user error, not the game's fault.
Sometimes I would tap to turn right but had not let up off the left thumb yet, and vice versa.
However, by the 5th race I was finally able to get first place on the first attempt at the track.
These 6 free tracks are definitely a lot of fun and will certainly leave people wanting more, so the pay one should do well.

Best of luck, but you shouldn't need it.

Quote: "It is a retro style 2D racing game inspired by classics such as Super Sprint and Micro Machines. Anyone old enough to remember them?"

Yeah, I remember them and the ones before them, like the old black and white like Night Driver and the ones before them, like Speedway
Those are not top down of course like yours, but I love all racing games, and my personal best in Pole Position is respectable.
I want to make a top down racer using AppGameKit too, but probably an infinite vertical scroll style like Spy Hunter

Edit
Got the full version and left you a rating.

It's a wonder BatVink didn't slap a developer's badge on you for this release. (lol must have been in here on his mobile)

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 17:20 Edited at: 15th Mar 2015 17:26
Many thanks to everyone trying it out and the words of encouragement. I'm glad you all like it.

Conjured Entertainment - big thanks for the purchase and rating. It's always a tricky balancing act to get the price right along with how much to give away for free. It's a big relief to read I got it right.

Edit: A Spy Hunter style game sounds fantastic. I think that could be really popular.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 17:55
@zappo, well done I love these retro race games especially after watching F1 today

Just downloaded and rated 5 stars for you, well done.

Graphics work well on my 10" tablet, nice a clear.

The Amiga and Amos were great!
Download my game - Paint Pot from Amazon and Google here - http://leap.my-free.website/
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 18:22
Quote: "It's a wonder BatVink didn't slap a developer's badge on you for this release"

Good point...done.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 18:40 Edited at: 15th Mar 2015 18:41
Sweet - an 'AGK Developer' badge! Many thanks.

Thanks spectrepaul for the rating. I have a good 8 inch tablet for testing but it's nice to know it works well on larger screens too.

Incidentally, I wrote it for the widest possible audience, so it works on everything from the lowest spec small-screen phones to the powerhouse flagship devices with huge screens. I saw it running flawlessly on an incredibly cheap A23 unbranded tablet today with 512MB RAM - so that was pleasing. It goes without saying but I have been really impressed with the speed and flexibility of AGK.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 20:20
Just tried and rated your other game also Jetpack Parry, very good.
I like your gfx style, do you do the gfx yourself and what do you use?

Download my game - Paint Pot from Amazon and Google here - http://leap.my-free.website/
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Love the look of this!

Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS (Thanks Francois Lionet)
Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 23:31
Thanks for the compliments regarding the look and graphics.

Spectrepaul - JetPack Parry was my first run at creating a finished game in AppGameKit and taking it all the way through to the Google Play store. There are a few things I would change now and may update it when I get the time, so thank you for your rating.

I do all of the graphics myself, plus the coding, the music, the coffee and sweeping up
I am lucky enough to have access to PhotoShop - although it is an old version. Depending upon the art style I want I also have Manga Studio (which I won in an animation contest using Anime Studio) and a graphics tablet if I want that hand drawn look.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 23:54
Well great work there with the projects, I am the same and generally do all the code,gfx etc myself so know how hard it is to complete something.

Really impressed.

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2015 09:50
Great work Zappo!

Just had a play with the free version. Works well on my old Galaxy S2! I couldn't exit the game with the back button though which a lot of people frown upon.

Congratulations! I hope you do really well with this.

How long have you been working on this?

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2015 10:29
Good work Zappo, this is great. I too downloaded the paid version and rated 5 stars for you

This really makes me want to dig out my attempt at a 'Micro Machines' clone. I got stuck on the AI though

Good luck, I wish you much successs

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2015 16:12 Edited at: 16th Mar 2015 16:36
Quote: "I couldn't exit the game with the back button though which a lot of people frown upon."

I think that back button is set up like an escape key so the GetRawKeyPressed(27) should do the trick.

Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2015 14:22
Thanks Funnell7. Much appreciated.

CJB - The 'back button' functionality is a tricky one. You can use it on the track select screen to return to the title screen to choose a different difficulty level. It does nothing while actually racing as it is dangerously close to where people put their thumbs while playing and steering, i.e. too easy to press by accident. As for pressing it while on the title screen I have left it as the default setting as per the AppGameKit tier 2 template. I didn't want to implement an 'exit' as that goes against the Android guidelines, i.e. the OS should look after what is kept running in the background and what is closed down in a friendly manner, so I would rather steer away from using things like std::terminate() or ANativeActivity_finish() etc. You can still return to the Android home screen at any time by using the 'home button'. I'll have a think about how I can improve this.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2015 15:06
Its fine like it is, since it does meet the distributor' guidelines.
Let the frowners get wrinkles.

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2015 17:12
Just had a quick go of this and think it's really good. I like the simplicity of it.

A couple to niggles:

Changing the speed requires the player to restart the app.

It would be nice to have a pause if the game is ever sent to the back ground then resumed (whilst in the background the game isn't playing so that's not a problem).

But overall it's a fun game and nicely presented.

Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2015 17:33
Thanks for the comments 29 games. While at the track select screen you can press the 'back' button to go back to the speed select screen - no need to restart the app.

Pausing is something I have been wondering about adding so returning to the game after it has been pushed to the background doesn't drop you straight into it. It's on my list for the next update

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2015 18:13
I love this game! The back button is a show stopper for a lot of people though. From the first menu, it needs to either present a "Do you want to exit" box, or take user back to home screen. App still running in background for OS to deal with is fine, but to leave no way for a player to exit is really frustrating for many and will definitely lose you ratings. I don't want to see you lose ratings because this game is so cool! Takes me back to super-sprint on the Amiga days.
I'd like to speed it up too - like an INSANE mode!

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2015 19:19
Really enjoyed it, also reminded me of the good old Amiga days. Micro machines for Amiga was awesome.

To be honest though I also found it strange that the back-button didn't take me to a pause menu with options to quit, might be worthwhile looking into it
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2015 19:40
Back button doesn't really bother me because I never use it and I always just press the home button and exit the app I am using after.

The back button does however work to get back to the start screen for speed changes which is good.

I didn't use the back button to exit my app either because it would be too easy for kids to tap it when playing the app.

Game is really good, a super speed or boosts during the game would be good, however I am playing the free version so don't know if thats something you have in the paid for version of it.

Great work again, enjoy playing this

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2015 06:36
Nice, very nice.
If you want to sell the code to do a port on iOS with a new graphic and maps, please contact me.
I can invest in advertising and get the app go up in ranking on iOS.

I bought some time ago some great graphic on internet to develop a game like this.
I can help to play in multiplayer on a dedicated server.

Think about it.

Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 12:59 Edited at: 19th Mar 2015 13:00
Got a nice press release about 'Dinky Racing' doing the rounds now. It is to promote independent app developers and learn how to create your own apps/games on College courses:

https://aocwestmidlands.wordpress.com/2015/03/18/south-staffordshire-college-digital-entrepreneur-is-proving-independent-app-development-is-anything-but-dinky/

and

http://www.southstaffs.ac.uk/news/newsitem/?id=8497

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 13:48
Well done with the press, your downloads should rocket with this.

Great!

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 22:59
Quote: "Got a nice press release about 'Dinky Racing'"

Awesome, and a really good read.

Most impressive!

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2015 17:44
I have downloaded, will rate and review later

Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2015 18:42
"Dinky Racing" is now available on Kindle Fire, Fire Phone and those with Android devices that have the Amazon Store App:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/dl/android?p=com.worldbydesign.dinkyracingfull&showAll=1

I would be interested to hear from others on how successful they have been when comparing Google Play downloads to Amazon Apps downloads.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2015 04:38
I find for me Amazon gets more than double the downloads!

Check first page of my thread for figures, although I have not updated for a bit I try to update them regular.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=213305&b=48

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 11:21:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 11:21:35