Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / what about the newsletter of may?

Author
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2015 07:56
Hello.
I can not find the number of the month.
He has not left?

using AppGameKit V2 tier 1
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2015 10:44
When BatVink wrote the newsletter it was a very rare thing indeed for him to miss the 1st of the month deadline. It's just not been the same since

AGK V2 user - Tier 1 (mostly)
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2015 11:47
I believe they are very busy at the moment with other things, causing delays with the newsletter. The newsletter was my only contribution to TGC, but Dave does all sorts of other things for them too. I know one thing is completed - my tutorial on networking

Quote: "...a very rare thing indeed for him to miss the 1st of the month deadline"

I'm proud of the fact that I never missed the deadline in 8 years; it was sometimes delayed by TGC when there was important news to publish within a couple of days of the publish date.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
x3meblue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2015 15:54
To speak the truth, i wish more an update of AppGameKit than the newsletter. Has quite some time already, since we heard anything about the AppGameKit progress.

AGK2 Tier 1 / GameGuru / DB PRO / ProMotion 6.5
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2015 10:19
I guess that there just are no news...

----------------
AGK programmer
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2015 12:09
No_News != No_Progress.

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "To speak the truth, i wish more an update of AppGameKit than the newsletter. Has quite some time already, since we heard anything about the AppGameKit progress."

I switched to a different IDE a little while ago, but still check here to see what is happening with AGK. To me, this was the most frustrating thing about AppGameKit, just the slow rate of development and the feeling of being in limbo between releases.

The last entry on the development blog (why there just can't be a proper blog page on the AppGameKit website I don't know) was
Quote: "We're currently adding in Spriter Pro support to AppGameKit!
The development team are meeting this week to discuss plans for the future 3D engine work for AppGameKit!"

As far as I know there has been no news since then, not even a brief outline of what transpired from that meeting or what we can expect in the way of 3D commands.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2015 13:18
It's only 27 days since the last update. What do want - an update every hour?

<<It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.>> Dijkstra
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2015 14:15
Newsletter is delayed due to a big release next week!

Rick

Development Director
TGC Team
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2015 14:43
next week!?!?

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2015 14:45
Why not release the newsletter now, so we can read about the big release coming next week then?

----------------
AGK programmer
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2015 14:51
Next week is very close. It's Friday. Relax.

<<It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.>> Dijkstra
Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
@Rickv Hi Rick. Will this be an AppGameKit release?

@JimHawkins
Quote: "It's only 27 days since the last update. What do want - an update every hour?"

Hi Jim. The last release, 2.0.12, was April 1st. The last update 2.0.13 was a maintenance release to fix all the bugs introduced by 2.0.12, I would not count 2.0.13 as a significant update to the product.

I do not think that anyone here is calling for an update every hour. However, as AppGameKit is a premium product, I believe customers should expect to have some feedback as to the direction and progress of the product. AppGameKit fairs badly in this respect compared to other products from TGC, and even open source solutions which carry no price tag. Even when there are serious issues, AppGameKit takes weeks to be fixed.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2015 16:34
Well it is only Paul doing the updates so fair play to him. Go Paul!

At least AGK2 has the potential to get more attention and resources being backed by TGC, unlike that monkey thing that often gets slated for being a one man band!

Hopefully TGC will throw some more resources at AppGameKit to get it up to speed. If Lee can knock up a 3D Video thing for a competition entry, maybe he can crack on with some 3d enhancements for AppGameKit too, or is AppGameKit strictly Paul's baby?

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know what you were expecting from TGC
They have their "own style", if you check their past products, they were always handled this way

So if you are a hobbyist, all is ok, as no one is depending on you, but if you make games for a living, then you are better off using Unity or something similar

An update to AppGameKit was released today
Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, there was another release today, but scanning down the list it is again mostly fixes and updates to commands already in place.

It just feels as though AppGameKit develops so slowly. It is already far from current in its feature sets compared to its peers.
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2015 23:35
Quote: "It is already far from current in its feature sets compared to its peers. "

Woah there, I would go so far. If you are comparing to e.g. Unity, then I feel that is not a fair comparison (with Unity being a full blown AAA 3D engine). But if you compare to other competitor, primarily 2D products (I will not try to list so many here), it's very comparable...

Using AppGameKit v2 T1 + T2
Systems: Primary: Mac OS X 10.10
Secondary: Windows 7
Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Unlikely.

I wasn't comparing AppGameKit to any of the AAA engines, but the many free engines that are now available (which I too will not mention here )
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
In one way Polaraul is correct.

Today there are quite a few 2d & 3d game engines, that are developed by 1 person, and some of them are even available for FREE, and they have similar features to AppGameKit, and get more regular updates.

But for people who came from DarkBasic, with AppGameKit you can easily pick up the system and build something fast, as it's similar. So that's why there are people who swear by the features of AGK.

If you want to make commercial games, then I wouldn't rely on AppGameKit though. But if you are a hobbyist that makes a game every now and then, then AppGameKit is perfect
lmr2013
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 07:50 Edited at: 17th May 2015 10:02
AGK is a great tool for the money, I like programming but have very limited time so need to program quick and easy - AppGameKit is the perfect platform for this. Having messed with some of its competitors (before stumbling on AGK) - I found them a) a lot of hard work / laboursome compared to AppGameKit - sometimes taking me weeks to do what i can now do in AppGameKit in days b) full of bugs and glitches. They may have more updates but they also have a number of drawbacks - just see their forums which are generally full of complaints. After reviewing quite a few now (including some i've paid for) - AppGameKit is the special one for me and is the main reason I'm near completion of a large game which I'm hoping to release commercially as soon as its finished / in a few months. Using one of the other platforms - i doubt i would have got this far, i think i would have probably given up by now as it was taking me too much time.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
well done lmr2013 on your success with agk
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2015 17:24
Newsletter will be out later today!

Development Director
TGC Team
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2015 10:36 Edited at: 20th May 2015 10:37
Wohoo! I wonder what the big news is, that TGC jut bought Oculus Rift?

----------------
AGK programmer
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2015 16:21
It stills says April on the May issue! Fooled me for hours, until I saw that number 146 AND 147 were marked April... Is it april fools?

Hope 3D in AppGameKit can really use the fruits from the Game Guru system.

----------------
AGK programmer

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 10:19:24
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 10:19:24