Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Bitesize Tutorial issues

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi

I was going through the bitesize tutorials (http://www.appgamekit.com/bitesize-1.php), though the first 1 seems bugged.

The parallax effect stops if the stars are moved to a new position when going off-screen. Yet somehow in the EXE from the download this doesn't happen. When i create a project using the code in the download it doesn't work at all.

Also, how does AppGameKit know to move the ship with the arrow keys?! I can't find that anywhere in the downloaded code?

Regards
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2015 21:55 Edited at: 25th Jul 2015 21:56
I think the tutorials were written with AppGameKit V1, so maybe something has changed.

With regard to the arrow keys, GetPointerX() and GetPointerY() have a little bit of intelligence behind them. Because AppGameKit is designed for Android, iOS, PC, Mac etc, it sometimes simulates input through different methods.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Duncro
Years of Service
User Offline
Though that would imply that setspriteoffset is broken in AGK2?

Thanks, found the code that controls the ship, it is getDirectionX/Y
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 26th Jul 2015 00:13
Quote: "Though that would imply that setspriteoffset is broken in AGK2?"

Not broken, but changed. Lots of changes were made from AppGameKit 1 to AppGameKit 2, it's hard to keep track!

I forget, who was writing those tutorials? Was it baxslash? He may be able to provide some insight into this!

Official Forum President from June 20th, 2015 - June 20th, 2016 (when my successor is elected, whomever that may be!).
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2015 01:07
Yes I wrote them but in V1 a long time ago... someone should check and update them. I'm afraid I haven't tried them since I wrote them so I have no idea what might be the cause. If I get a chance I'll check and update them and send an update to Rick but I'm pretty swamped at the moment.

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Duncro
Years of Service
User Offline
That would be great. I also put up a note on the fault tracker thing on google.
crazy_asian
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

When I looked at the code, it appears that the the offset is set for the stars, but the *ByOffset functions weren't being called.

Please don't rip me a new one if I'm wrong - as I'm still new at this

Here's the full code after updating those few things. When I preview it, everything appears to work just fine.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 18:23:21
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 18:23:21