Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK to AGK2 program converting

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2015 00:38
Hi, I have searched google and the forum here and can not find anything on this subject. I have a 2000 line AppGameKit program and wanted to know how to get it into AGK2 to run. Do I have to rename something convert something? When I try to open the AppGameKit project it does not show up in the list so the extension might be different from AppGameKit to AGK2. Thanks for any help.
Fluorescent
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2015 06:44
I think the media folder layout is the same, so you can copy and paste all assets.

The code is basically the same, some commands might be deprecated but you should be able to open your source in a text editor and again, copy paste everything into agk2.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it will work.
Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2015 06:52
hey lewis,
go to File>import agk project and hopefully that works!
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
After importing it as Cor mentioned, try running. Any errors that pop up will be noted in the IDE and you can double-click those errors to go to the problem lines. It shouldn't take very long to rewrite a 2,000 line app so it runs in AppGameKit V2 as the command set is almost fully backward compatible. You may run into issues if you've declared and instantiated globals in one line (now have to define them first then give them a value on next line), if you use semicolons or a couple other easily corrected issues.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2015 11:22
The other issue may be where you need to declare variables because the compiler thinks you have read from them before you have written to them. Previously you could get away with this.

I found the stricter controls helped me fix a few outstanding bugs. I converted and tidied up around 6,000 lines of code in about 2 hours.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2015 12:24
Yeah, my AppGameKit projects worked almost right away. It turns out AGK1 is buggy as hell, because AGK2 complained about a lot of my code which had to be tweaked to run. It didn't take long, as AGK2 told me exactly what to change, and where to change it on running.

Lewis Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2015 08:44
Thank you all for the help and advice.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 07:39:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 07:39:27