Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / bitmap font edit

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2004 20:52 Edited at: 10th Aug 2004 22:40
Here is a demo version of a Bitmap Font Editor that I have finished a little while ago, and that I am considering selling online for $20, but haven't decided yet. I would like some feedback before deciding what to do.

http://zac-interactive.dk/applications/BFE_DEMO.zip

I forgot to mention first time I posted this, that it includes the feature to load ttf font files and an easy converter into bitmap for these. And also the included code examples are blitz code. I have DB, but haven't gotten around to code anything with it yet
NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
Give it to me for free
J/k, but really, I don't think people would rather buy it than download it for free, it's your choice.
Looks good, downloading now...

"I....I like rice?"
Joncom2000
Years of Service
User Offline
@Dark Sephiroth

I don't think the question is would you buy it or download it for free, I think its would you buy for $20 or should he keep it for himself

@Zawran

Seems pretty good, the output I would think could be used in any program were a bitmap font could be used. $20 seems a reasonable price to me
Plastico
Years of Service
User Offline
tight, you should really feel accomplished.
zawran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 15:34
@Plastico, Thanks I appreciate it.
zawran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2004 15:50
Seems like there was a bug in the stencil/gradient function. It have been fixed and a new demo have been uploaded. The same link can still be used.
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2004 18:40
Really nice, looks really complete, you did a great job.

You may ask money for it, but honestly, I wouldn't pay 20$

- Mind the gap -
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2004 19:30
that looks great, I think if you corner a marketplace or a need for game design then its worth the money.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
JokerZ
AGK Silver Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2004 10:20 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2004 10:21
I downloaded this and tried it too.
It doesn't seem to read all TTF types. maybe it only reads type 2 instead of type 1 or vice versa.

I didn't read the docs, so maybe this is a known problem?

I like the way you can apply certain features to the entire font base. Thats cool.
I prefer to breakup my bitmap fonts prior to my program needing to use them. Perhaps its a little inefficient to do it that way, but it's my preference. It also means I only need to load exactly the bitmap images I need.

A feature I'd like to see is one where you can export the entire font base as individual files (or selectively just choose which letters you want exported). To me it would be the single most useful feature, as it means I wouldn't need to go into paintshop pro later and chip out the characters I need.

The other thing it really needs is an undo last step command. I sorely missed that.

Well done on this project.
I'd most likely buy it if it was around the $10-$15 mark.

Everything happens for a reason
zawran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2004 00:59
Thanks for the feedback.

I will look into adding on an individual character export as well. There is a an undo feature, but it doesn't work on doing effects on the entire font, only on individual editing.

As far as the true type goes, I have had other mention similar problems. It will for sure not read font files already installed into the windows fonts folder. You will have to stick with ones downloaded from the web but not yet installed. Not really sure yet why that is. Even with doing this then perhaps around 10-15% will fail.

I am still in the process of setting up the internet payment stuff, and I am at the moment looking at a price around $15 for the full version. I will post details once they have accepted my account details.
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2004 03:01
wow ! really interesting software !

zawran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2004 16:21
I was pleased to see this mentioned in the newsletter. I am still looking into where/who as far as putting a full version online for sale. No final desision on the price yet.

I am still open for suggestions as far as additions/changes goes.

Thanks for your continued interest.
akee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2004 19:34
Personally, I would recommend you put the price like US$3.99 to make it affordable to the masses. Make your money in quantity. If you put it more than US$10, it might fall into the hands of pirates who would duplicate it and sell cheaply. I mean if a software is cheap, it doesn't make it bad. If you do the math...

Selling 1000 copies at US$1 profit is still more than
Selling 50 copies at US$10 profit.

As for payment wise, try PayPal or if you want to spend some money, you can use 2CheckOut.com for US$49 setting up fee. You can view my web site to see a sample at www.akee.com. You can view a shopping cart of a web site I set up for my friend at www.akee.com/kbchan. You can do a view source to see how I set it up.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2004 21:24
I think $15 is a reasonable price. All small shareware programs seem to be that price. $15 is definitly reasonable, and if I were you I'd sell it for that . Also, looks pretty sweet, looks like you did an excellent and clean job.

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
zawran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2004 00:41
Its actually difficult to sell much of anything at less than $5 because most people will tend to think that it must be completely useless since its that cheap. I am still working on a few minor changes for this and the online payment thing. Hopefully I will soon get this online for purchase as well.
JokerZ
AGK Silver Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2004 18:16
I think you really need to work on getting it to read all TTF fonts.
I can send you the fonts I've had trouble with, this may assist you in sorting it out.

Until I knew it could read all fonts accurately, I'd probably have to keep looking for something else..

Everything happens for a reason
Dostej
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2004 17:38
@zawran

First some suggestions..
The shown fonts are sometimes shifted to the right, so that in the field `A` there is a smnall part of the `B`. Maybe you should fix it.

Then a tutorial would be nice.
A piece of code how to import your bitmap font into DBP seems also useful.

Then to the price...
I personally are quite interested in a bitmap font editor. But I dont think that I need it so much, that I would spend a lot of money for it.
With 3.99$ I will buy it, not think of how often I really need it.
With 5$ I think i would start to think about - and look, how difficult it is to buy (paypal would be ok, but if I had to sign in an other service, I think I stop my efforts.)

More the 10$ are quite sure ot of limit for me.

But thats my price - range. maybe its different to others. (btw: Think about that with the exchange rates in other countries 10$ is relativly more then 10$ in the US. So the subjective worth varies with the country...)

To code or not to be...
GALACTIC X - A brief overview - http://www.angelfire.com/space2/galactix also my IDE: jaPROe - the Image Enhance plugin and some snippets and tools -
zawran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 00:33
The problem with a few fonts being shifted will be fixed. I had already planned to add 4 arrows allowing the user to shift the characters around in the grid.

I have never been planned to have code examples for specific programming languages, as its ment to be a media generation tool. The only reason that there are a few examples for Blitz is that its what I had choosen to program it in. I do have DBP, but just never gotten around to use it yet. But then people who use C++, Delphi, etc. would want code examples, and there is no way I would be able to produce code examples for all languages.

The price would not be less than $15, but noone is forcing anyone to buy it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 06:06:32
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 06:06:32