Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Katey's Quest - final beta

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2005 01:05 Edited at: 30th Mar 2005 02:37
Well, the game is almost finished. For those who missed earlier post, Katey's Quest is a lode-runner inspired game starring a little girl who has found herself trapped inside a magical world after falling into a mirror... the world is filled with puzzles and monsters, what fun! To escape each level, Katey has to simply collect all the pieces of the mirror door and escape through it.

This beta here, is basically the full game without the bells and whistles. Music, sound effects, better graphics...

Downloads:
KateyBeta.rar
KateyBeta.zip

Screenshots:
Garden
Library

Controls:
Z: Confirm/Switch switchs etc
X: Place potion (if got any)
C: If using mirror katey, return to normal
In the level editor, use the mouse (left click place thing, right click erase it) and spacekey brings up gets rid of menu

So we have story mode (though the story is missing at the moment ) which you can play through to completion. You can also play the level editor, though you can only use the world themes that you have already completed in Story mode...

So still to go:
sound effects
music
extra levels
better graphics
cutscenes and story
a tutorial for level editor
whooo
May still be some bugs, so if anyone finds any, let me know plz D:

Ace Of Spades
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2005 06:12
Garden Looks Awfully Familia..(Mario Bros. Style), any way looks really good...I will see if i can download it later.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2005 06:19 Edited at: 30th Mar 2005 06:24
[EDIT] Never mind [/EDIT]

Drew Camerons free games - http://www.drewsgames.com/
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2005 06:21 Edited at: 30th Mar 2005 06:24
WOW! That's really nice, it reminds me of Commander Kean.

With a bit of polish, because the gameplay and levels you have are fine, this could be really good If you every want a hand with graphics, sound or even some nice music for the game, give me a shout on email.

Kudos; the best 2D game I've seen in DB.

Drew Camerons free games - http://www.drewsgames.com/
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2005 07:10 Edited at: 30th Mar 2005 07:11
Thanks

I think I have someone who is going to do music, and someone on another forum has offered to do a couple vocals for Katey which should be nice

Graphics are my main problem... Katey and all those monsters need better sprites and actual animation. That would be quite a lot of stuff, if yar willing to help with those that'd be awesome ^^ or any improvements on the level graphics...

*rememembers* i'll also need to make better background images, I might just render some 2D screenies of 3D landcapes... as right now those backgrounds are from RPGmaker2000 -_x

I have a copy of exgen which I shall be using to hopefully make some nice effects for the spells and explosions. Fun fun.

AlexRiva
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2005 15:21
Very nice! I played Lode Runner and this game really catches that retro-feeling
Graphics are cute, but I'd give the sprites a more "shaded" look. If you want (and give me permission) I can modify one of your .bmp and post it here to show what I mean
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2005 15:10
Well, thanks to you I ended up playing your game all night andf not studying for my computer science midterm which I'm probably going to fail tomarrow now!

I hope you're happy...

Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2005 20:06 Edited at: 31st Mar 2005 20:07
AlexRiva: I think I know what you mean, it's just the actual doing it that be the problem
i'm sticking with 3D from now on for futre games, no dang sprites

GothOtaku: Hee sorry ^__^

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2005 08:08
I'll be glad to help you out, give me a week until I'm less busy

Coming April 1st - a treat in the WIP board
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2005 18:16
ooh many thanks

Lil update, i've made the following lil tweaks:
* Escape in a level now pauses the game, and asks if you want to resume or quit
* Little coloured circles appear above levels on world map so you can see at a glance which levelsyou haven't completed/completed/completed 100%
* Game can now be played fullscreen or windowed

and some little bug fixes... like enemies continuing to fall if you read a sign while they drop :p

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2005 20:40
Yeah - keep up the good work!

Coming April 1st - a treat in the WIP board
Parsec
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, I just thought I'd mention that I'm working on the music for Katey's Quest (I was the guy who did the music for the game Tifu entered into the last competition, Ouroboros). He's using midi format this time around, so here's a sample for the cave world:

Happy Cave Trek

~~~ The Timeline is safe. ~~~
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2005 11:02
Wow, i dont know why ive taken so long to try this game out! but very nice, pretty adictive and friendly fun. Looking foreward to the development of this game, well done getting in the newsletter !

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2005 18:42
Yeah, it reminds me of Commander Keen.
BUMP BUMP BUMP - it deserves it.

Give it a try everyone, it's a small enough download.

Dumbo and Cool - 50% complete today!
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2005 06:53
Thanks
Very very happy to be mentioned in the newsletter twice :o and hopefully if I don't screw up somewhere, the full version will get a mention eventually... Just came back from family holiday in Vermont, a very nice surprise that was to come back to

I have improved the graphics somewhat, all monsters have animations... I will perhaps upload this version a little later, as many critical bugs are also fixed.
Screenshot
Though of course if anyone can make better, appreciated ;P

I still need to get voices, someone did volunteer i'll have to chase that up... some sound effects, some bugs, and I really want to fill the game with treats to earn by completing levels as well as one can.

Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2005 08:50
OK, going back on the whole "final beta" thing, i've uploaded a newer version :p it has the updated graphics for all monsters and Katey, including wonderful animations. Lots of horrible bugs are fixed. And we have music (provided by Parsec fellow who posted a few up the way) and vocals (provided by me, I assure you I will be getting a female to provide a voice!)

Same URLs
KateyBeta.rar
KateyBeta.zip

If you want to keep what levels you have saved, then copy the gamedat.dat file from the old folder into the new one, any levels you made should still work unless those levels took advantage of bugs to be completable

Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2005 03:00
Been busy coding some cool stuff...
I suddenly decided that Katey should have some bosses to fight
So, there is now three bosses for Katey to fight to get home mwahaha. I love making bosses. They're great fun.

Having a little problem though...

That's her standing normally, the image has been stretched oddly. I mean, it was stretched before, because the game is played in 1024*768 resolution, but it never looked distorted like this until today
I dunno what change happened, cos all I did was add the graphics for the bosses to the image and fix a few bugs... common problem? Solution I need! *work work*

Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2005 20:07 Edited at: 8th May 2005 20:09
Ignore above problem, I found solution... I hadn't added the ",1" to the end of the "load image" command, so the game thought it was meant to be used as a texture...

I have been working some more on bosses. There is now one boss for every world With the exception of one, they are all puzzle based things. I'm very happy with the final boss

Here is a shot of one of the early bosses, that I just finished this morning:

And in Story Mode, I now have plot!
And I finally made use of the EZrotate plugin, yay

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2005 23:06
Still need a hand with graphics?

Dumbo and Cool - DEFINATELY coming July 31st.
Also in development: Oddworld RTS, A Wonderful Thing and Scarecrow
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2005 01:12 Edited at: 9th May 2005 01:21
If you're not too busy with Dumbo&Cool, i'd hate to be delaying that

Graphics, graphics...

I have basic monster & Katey sprites with animations (latest demo has all that) a friend on another forum volunteered to help with item graphics... I probably do need to add shading to my monsters as well.

There's the sprites for the levels themselves, some of them are repeated through worlds, like the conveyor belt, it's the same in all worlds. Library and Garden don't have a decent secondary ground block... all those images are in the images folder of Katey demo.

And the backgrounds for levels are still 3D spheres with backdrops from RPGmaker2000 That 3D background is just temp. i'm probably hoping for a 2D image, or a 2D render of a 3D scene similar to the world currently in. Though I should manage a 3D render thingy meself...

Any help with any of those graphical things, would be fantastic...

And I think this should be a list of everything I need to do before the game is complete:
(possibly) shading to Monsters, Katey etc
Improve some of the level sprites
Make more variety in level sprites from world to world
Sound effects for: Cauldron, Mirror completed, some of the bosses snarls and yelps of pain...
A few unlockable secret things, and an ending for the game
Ideally, make 20 more levels so that I have 100
Images for the background of levels
Awaiting voice recordings from someone on another forum (actually, it's their ickle daughter, so Katey should sound authentic as a real kid :p)
Write a tutorial for the level editor

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2005 02:02
I'll have a look at your textures and send some versions along soon

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2005 05:17
Quote: "the world is filled with puzzles and monsters, what fun!"

*Shudder*
Please don't say that.

Anyway, game is..umm....different and original. But I always like a good platformer.
(Despite the questionable girly content)

It's M-E-G-A-T-O-N. NOT MEGATRON.
DON'T MAKE ME GET THE RABBIT.
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2005 05:33
Kateys Quest rules.

Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2005 05:55 Edited at: 10th May 2005 05:57
heh thanks ^_^

Quote: "*Shudder*
Please don't say that."

? Why not... you can't have a magical world without filling it with puzzles and monsters... or is it the cliche?

[randomupdate]
I have 7 A4 pages of artwork scanned in for this game... thats not including sketches and doodles and plans. Most effort i've ever put into a games intro or endings

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2005 13:40
looks great!, keep up the great work

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 08:39:13
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 08:39:13