Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / DBO Format not so clear and still buggy

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi All,
I'm creating a DBO exporter plugin for DeleD basing on DBO format released with update 5.8.
I can export really well geometry and UV coordinates for each texture layer (up to 4 with DeleD), but when I define multiple textures only the first one for each mesh is loaded while others (UV are correctly set) are ignored by DBPro 5.8.
I've a correctly updated version of DBPro and DirectX (February 2005).
So what this could be due?
I must reload and reblend from within DBPro , it really not so good.
If you have some ideas let me know.
bye.

Salvatore "Il Buzzo"
G Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Dude!!! As soon as you have this ready, will we be able to get copies or do I need to grovel and beg?

Intel Pentium 4, 3.4GHz, 1280MB RAM, NVidia Quadro FX3000/256MB, 240GB HD, XP Pro
Il Buzzo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi G Man,
Once ready I think it will published on Delgine site (just like my others plugin and DMFLoader for Irrlicht, give a look to delgine forums if you want to see a preview), but I'll need a little more support by TGC to know if I'm doing something wrong or DBPro isn't ready at the moment to do what I want.
Anyway until I'll know this or I'll get a multitextured DBO file I'll keep trying to solve everything.
Bye

Salvatore "Il Buzzo"
Il Buzzo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2005 02:38 Edited at: 19th Jul 2005 20:11
Hi All,
I've solved all troubles with DBO format (there was an error in documentation, I found looking into a correct multitextured DBO made by DBPro 5.8 and giving a look to examples ) .
Now each texture layer is correctly loaded just using the following code in DBPro:

no more lines....
Here a little cube example:

I think I'll release a full version for the end of next week, I want to include support for diffuse color for faces (now I'll export only textures) and I'll integrate everything in a DLL for DeleD.
If you can't wait please send me an e-mail and I'll send you the Exe beta version, or just wait until next week.
Note that I've used DBPro upgrade 5.8 to test, so different versions may not work properly.
Bye

Salvatore "Il Buzzo"
G Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2005 12:34 Edited at: 12th Apr 2005 12:35
Hey folks, Il Buzzo was kind enough to grace me with the beta version of his converter. Let me just say this... This thing is HOT! Y'all run out and lay your grubby little paws on a copy of DeleD and learn it for when he releases this publicly. This is exactly what DeleD needed to break into the DBPro environment. With this, DeleD becomes a even sweeter mapping utility than it was before. Imagine lightmapped levels with a free piece of software. Of course there is DeleD Pro as well, that you can purchase that adds a suite of functionality that is to die for!

Good job Il Buzzo and Jeroen! You don't want to know how long I've been waiting for this! I feel like kid in a candy store! WOOHOO!

If you don't have DeleD or you don't have the newest version (1.1) just bop on over to http://www.delgine.com and grab a copy while the getting's good!

Attached is a screen grab from a very simple level I threw together just to test the converter.

Once again, Excellent job!

Intel Pentium 4, 3.4GHz, 1280MB RAM, NVidia Quadro FX3000/256MB, 240GB HD, XP Pro

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2005 00:05
Lightmapped you say ?

More tea Vicar?
Il Buzzo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Hamish,
I've tried to send you an e-mail but my mailer system fails everytime, to send anything.
Could send me another e-mail please?
Bye

Salvatore "Il Buzzo"
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2005 21:56
@Il Buzzo,
Can you provide details on what the problem actually was with the documentation? That way, we can organise getting the docs fixed so that others don't have the same problem that you did.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins and source code http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2005 02:36
Did you get my email Il Buzzo? I haven't had a reply yet. If not, my email is just below.

More tea Vicar?
Il Buzzo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2005 12:57 Edited at: 19th Jul 2005 20:11
Hi All,

As promised I've finished DBO exporter plugin, here you a screenshot:

And now you can download the complete plugin [130 KB] from my site:
http://www.ilbuzzo.net/downloads/DBOexporter.zip

Please read the included Readme.txtand contact me if you have some troubles.
I'll add now just a simple description extracted from readme.txt.

What this plugin do:
-Exports all geometry to DBO format.
-Exports all materials info to DBO format
(including blending modes, lightmaps and colors).
-Exports all UV coords.
-Copy needed textures in the same folder of .dbo file.

Usage:
Load or create your scene then load the plugin and choose
if you want to export everything or just selected objects.
You must choose if you want to export needed textures or
not and the name (internal to DBO) given to this scene.
At this point click OK and let the convertion begin.
After a first parsing pass you'll be asked (if there is
something to export) the name of .dbo file and the game
is done.

Bye All

@Hamish
I'm really sorry, I've tried to send you an e-mail for two days but my mail server returned always a fail.
I've just released a my first release candidate, it's a DLL plugin for DeleD more complete than the exe one (you can choose to save needed textures as well as just selected objects etc...).

@IanM
Hi Ian, DBO file format is really useful but there are a lot of obscure points, just as example the TC value in textures, I've
understood it giving a look to a dbo file generated by DarkBasic
Pro and to textures sample in upgrade 5.8.
In fact it assumes (in my case, 4 texture and 4 UV for a face) the following values 0,11,12,13.And this is not documented in DBO file
format.
More I thought that each sybling frame was conseguent to each other in a recursive way, but I figured out that sybling frames (just like
child frames) are nested this way:

-root
-sybling1
-sybling2
-sybling3
-endsybling3
-endsybling2
-endsybling1
-endroot

But they are on the same logical level (at least in my opinion).
So I think that a better documentation with a sample not only on acquisition of a dbo file but on creation of a dbo file too will be useful for DarkBasic Pro customers (just like me) that want to write their own plugins with ease avoiding file formats neverending troubles.

Salvatore "Il Buzzo"
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2005 14:03
I thought DB didn't support multiple texture layers?

PETA - People for the Eating of Tasty Animals
fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
But now it does

[me]"My throat froze!"
[other person]"Force quit it next time..."
A.K.A Death Stalker
G Man
Years of Service
User Offline
It wasn't Dark Basic that didn't support multiple texture layers... It was a limitation imposed by the .X file format. .DBO files do however accomodate multiple textures and this DeleD plug in allows you to utilize that format.

Il Buzzo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi All,

@Phaelax
DarkBasic Pro now supports multitexturing with DBO format (documentation it's not so clear), you must add textures one after other minding to specify a correct value for TC, it means that specifing 0 you'll use current UV, 11 UV of texture 2, 12 UV of texture 3 and so on.
This is the reason I say DBO is not so clear and still buggy....
If you can't trust me please download DeleD 1.1 and my plugin, create a scene using a multitextured material and see the result in DBPro (update 5.8).
Bye

Salvatore "Il Buzzo"
JeroenNL
Years of Service
User Offline
Good job II Buzzo! We've made the plugin available on the DeleD website too so everybody can start using it.

Cheers!

Use the free 3D modeller DeleD to get skilled in 3d editing! Visit http://www.delgine.com for more info.
AtomR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2005 04:59 Edited at: 20th Apr 2005 05:17
@Il Buzzo:
I'm also dabbling with the dbo format and find it very confusing. I'm trying to get the hang of it but did you notice anything funny with subframe 117? The dwCodeSize I get for dwCode=117 is exactly the same as the one for 116 which causes me to read data wrong. Shouldn't dwCodeSize be 4 for dwCode=117?

I hope you understand where I get these variable names from(dwCodeSize and dwCode). It's how they are read in the example codes so I use them aswell.

-Edit-

I just found out that the same thing happens for sub frame 118 and 119. The have the same codesize as 116 and it should be 4? Did the same thing happen to you?

Take care
AtomR
Il Buzzo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Atom,
You're right dwCode=117 (Mesh Primitive Size) has dwCodeSize=4 and after there is a DWORD that indicates mesh primitive size (I use 4 cause I use triangle list).
If you want to give a look to DBO file generated my way you could try DBO Loader with DeleD and starting with a simple rectangle.
To solve a lot of troubles I've looked directly to hex code with FileAlyzer (a freeware tool).
That's all I can suggest.

Salvatore "Il Buzzo"
jrowe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2005 05:37 Edited at: 20th Apr 2005 05:37
Thanks Il Buzzo, I've been hoping somone would make one of these for a while now.

For Fathers and Sons who enjoy wholy spirits.
Il Buzzo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2005 18:51 Edited at: 19th Jul 2005 20:11
Hi All,
Updated DBO Exporter to version 1.0 RC2 [139KB]

In this version I've just added a scaling factor to scale your whole mesh taking advantage of DBO format that let you define scaling values without touching mesh original data.
Scaling is done in real time whiloe loading the mesh by DBPro internals.
As usual you can download new version from:
http://www.ilbuzzo.net/downloads/DBOExporter.zip

Bye

Salvatore "Il Buzzo"
Il Buzzo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2005 05:17 Edited at: 19th Jul 2005 20:10
Hi All,
Updated DBO Exporter to version 1.0 RC3 [139KB]

In this version I've just solved strange behaviours described in readme.txt and I've unlocked scaling edit controls (you couldn't re-enter '.' char once deleted, you needed to paste, now it's fixed).

As usual you can download new version from:
Bye

Salvatore "Il Buzzo"
Il Buzzo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2005 23:56 Edited at: 19th Jul 2005 20:10
Hi All,
This is really the final release candidate, I've just released the release candidate 4 that fixes all bugs encountered by me in scene loading, with bigger objects too.
Now really each scene is loaded correctly. You can download DBOExporter RC4 [141KB]:

as usual from my site:
Bye

If you encounter other problems, please let me know and I'll solve, or this will become the final release.

Salvatore "Il Buzzo"
Il Buzzo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Guys,
I fixed Newton trouble this way, look at this before:

what a mess, so it's due to the fact that once lightmapped some parts of an object could be introduced in another meshbuffer.... at this point I've had an idea, so I've saved a version of DBO file not lightmapped (I've called it room_col.dbo), then I've lightmapped the scene and have exported (I've called this one room.dbo) at this point I've generated Newton collision on not lightmapped level (room_col.dbo) and added collision to the lightmapped one (room.dbo), to obtain:

I've used Newton FPS example without door and just modiphyng the code this way:

So I've started to work to export a whole mesh to use as collision data, but in the meanwhile, you can overcome troubles this way.
It worked for all scenes tried (waterworld etc....) basing on Newton FPS demo without doors added to level.
Bye

Salvatore "Il Buzzo"
Il Buzzo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Guys,
I've finally released my DBO Exporter Plugin Final Release 1.0 ( RC5), now this release includes the possibility to export textures to a chosen folder, and more of all to export a collision mesh dbo file to use with physics engine like Newton etc....

You can download this version, including a chm help file, from my site at :
Now this is the fixed final release, so unless there are very bad bugs this will be stable unless the end of my game .
Anyway bye .

Salvatore "Il Buzzo"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 13:50:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 13:50:14