Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / DeleD to DBO converter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2005 09:05 Edited at: 19th Jul 2005 20:05
Hi Guys,
Just a screenshot before:

It's from DeleD sample of warehouse, I've tested sacredplace and castlesiege too without troubles.
I've also sent an exe version to 2 beta testers (G-Man and Black Shadow), I'm finishing my scheduled work with DBO exporter this week (at least I think, need some more tweaks...), but this is the right way......
Bye
More news tomorrow I'm tired

If someone would like to test this please send me an e-mail or a private message on the forum.
Bye

Salvatore "Il Buzzo"
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2005 09:10
Nifteh. Will keep an eye on this one

FXTC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2005 05:26
wow nice thx

AMD 2,4 512MB RAM,2x200GB hdd,GforceFX5700GT128MB
Il Buzzo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2005 12:28 Edited at: 19th Jul 2005 20:05
Hi All,
As promised I've finished DBO exporter plugin, here you a screenshot:

And now you can download the complete plugin [130 KB] from my site:
http://www.ilbuzzo.net/downloads/DBOexporter.zip

Please read the included Readme.txt and contact me if you have some troubles.
I'll add now just a simple description extracted from readme.txt.

What this plugin do:
-Exports all geometry to DBO format.
-Exports all materials info to DBO format
(including blending modes, lightmaps and colors).
-Exports all UV coords.
-Copy needed textures in the same folder of .dbo file.

Usage:
Load or create your scene then load the plugin and choose
if you want to export everything or just selected objects.
You must choose if you want to export needed textures or
not and the name (internal to DBO) given to this scene.
At this point click OK and let the convertion begin.
After a first parsing pass you'll be asked (if there is
something to export) the name of .dbo file and the game
is done.

Bye All

Salvatore "Il Buzzo"
dj blackdragon3710
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2005 11:32
YaY!!! I have been waiting for this for quite some time. I am glad it is finally out. Good job, will test it later.

It has been said that the body is a slave to the mind. Only the mind knows no freedom.
Il Buzzo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2005 18:57 Edited at: 19th Jul 2005 20:06
Hi All,
Updated DBO Exporter to version 1.0 RC2 [139KB]

In this version I've just added a scaling factor to scale your whole mesh taking advantage of DBO format that let you define scaling values without touching mesh original data.
Scaling is done in real time whiloe loading the mesh by DBPro internals.
As usual you can download new version from:
http://www.ilbuzzo.net/downloads/DBOExporter.zip

Bye

Salvatore "Il Buzzo"
Il Buzzo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2005 05:16 Edited at: 19th Jul 2005 20:07
Hi All,
Updated DBO Exporter to version 1.0 RC3 [139KB]

In this version I've just solved strange behaviours described in readme.txt and I've unlocked scaling edit controls (you couldn't re-enter '.' char once deleted, you needed to paste, now it's fixed).
As usual you can download new version from:
Bye

Salvatore "Il Buzzo"
Il Buzzo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2005 23:56 Edited at: 19th Jul 2005 20:07
Hi All,
This is really the final release candidate, I've just released the release candidate 4 that fixes all bugs encountered by me in scene loading, with bigger objects too.
Now really each scene is loaded correctly. You can download DBOExporter RC4 [141KB]:

as usual from my site:
Bye
If you encounter other problems, please let me know and I'll solve, or this will become the final release.

Salvatore "Il Buzzo"
DavidOC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2005 01:49
You are doing a great job, I tested your plugin with big maps and they load fine, but I'm having a problem: when using the object with NG collision dll collisions in strange places are detected, I don't know if it's a problem with the normals, I'm attaching a screenshot to show what I mean.

Regards

Ce Acatl Xochitzin

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DavidOC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2005 07:07
Also I have two sugestions:
a) Allow to change the lightmap files name
b) Allow to select a subfolder to export textures and lightmaps

With the first suggestion is enough to have all the maps in a single folder and with the second the folders are more organized.

Regards

Ce Acatl Xochitzin
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2005 11:39
@DavidOC I don't have DeleD so I can't test it (I use CSHOP) with my versions of NGC. What version NGC are you using? An example code and .dbo object would help answer alot of questions.

Also you may have to change the fvf format for it to work correctly with NGC. If the default he is using is other than 274 it sometimes messes up NGC. Try using change object fvf 274 before using collisiontypepro() on it. If this works you can modify the NGC include file to make a 274 format copy and keep the original in DBP.

I have also ran into problems like that when rotating objects to odd angles.

DavidOC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2005 15:54
The NGC version is 3.01, I'm sure there isn't a problem with the code, because I exported from DeleD the same model in DirectX format and it works fine. I changed de FVF to 274 as you suggested and the model got all messed (screenshot included) but the collision I was getting is more or less the same.
I attached the problematic object (dream.dbo)
The DirectX object converted to dbo (collision.dbo)
and a screenshot.

Regards.

Ce Acatl Xochitzin

Attachments

Il Buzzo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi All,
What I can say , owing to the fact that I've not NG collision, is how DBO exporter works.
It exports a multitextured file format, FVF could be different for each limb, so in order to create correct collisions, you could do limb by limb, or you could create (after having changed FVF) a mesh that contains all geometry to use as collision object.
You don't have troubles with x files owing to the fact they are not multitextured and has just a FVF including position,normals,uv of 1 layer.
Mine can include up to 4 layers (so 4 uv coords).
@Lost in Thought
Well DeleD Lite is free to download from :
http://www.delgine.com
and my plugin works at 100% with DeleD Lite too, you have a limitation just on some kind of lights.

Now just a question for the community, as David let me notice for a better organization it will be usefull to change lightmaps name and select a subfolder for textures exporting.
So now it's your turn to decide, if you want this solution, let me know and I'll change or if you have other ideas, please let me know.
If the trouble of collision will be fixed with a whole mesh (no textured) I could also add to DBO Exporter a flag to export directly a collision.dbo that has only geometry data no textures etc....
But I need to do some more testing with Newton to ensure.
Bye

Salvatore "Il Buzzo"
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2005 22:32
@DavidOC Well 3.01 is very buggy anyway. I'll test this out this evening and see what I can find. No promises but I can usually find what is messing NGC up. Just did a quick test and DBP is messing up the polys when making a mesh from the object. I'll try and find out why.

@Il Buzzo Thanks for the link. I'll look at this as well.

Il Buzzo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys,
I fixed Newton trouble this way (maybe it could be usefull to solve NG collision troubles too), look at this before:

what a mess, so it's due to the fact that once lightmapped some parts of an object could be introduced in another meshbuffer.... at this point I've had an idea, so I've saved a version of DBO file not lightmapped (I've called it room_col.dbo), then I've lightmapped the scene and have exported (I've called this one room.dbo) at this point I've generated Newton collision on not lightmapped level (room_col.dbo) and added collision to the lightmapped one (room.dbo), to obtain:

I've used Newton FPS example without door and just modiphyng the code this way:

So I've started to work to export a whole mesh to use as collision data, but in the meanwhile, you can overcome troubles this way.
It worked for all scenes tried (waterworld etc....) basing on Newton FPS demo without doors added to level.
Bye

Salvatore "Il Buzzo"
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2005 03:34
I'll bet this will fix the NGC problem as well. It seems DBP has trouble converting lightmapped objects to meshs. Will test later this evening.

DavidOC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2005 04:19
Thanks for your help with this issue. The solution works, I already implemented it but I wanted to avoid loading two objects:

The "set object texture" sentence is required to correct a bug with my graphic card, it may not be required on other machines.

Regards.

Ce Acatl Xochitzin
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2005 11:54 Edited at: 24th Apr 2005 11:55
If you want to save memory but use the 2 files. Load the collision file, enter it in the collision system, delete the collision object, and then load the level object in its place. Something like this.

Try
Years of Service
User Offline
@Il Buzzo:
I've a suggestion for you, if you want DeleD has more power, then let us import one object for diffuse and one object for lightmap and DeleD combines the the lightmap UVs one the diffuse object and wow, we have the lightmaped object

GOOD LUCK!
Il Buzzo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Try,
I don't know what are you talking about. DBOExporter exports a complete DeleD scene including lightmaps (and its UV coords up to 4 texture layers). So I don't understand why I could export just two objects when all lightmaps and texture layers data are included in just one DBO?
Bye

Salvatore "Il Buzzo"
DavidOC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2005 06:50
@Lost: Thanks, for the tip, it works fine.

Ce Acatl Xochitzin
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2005 12:57
Glad you got it working. You can do the same thing with any object you hide and use for the collision system. I replace all of mine with a plain or a single poly. As long as there is an object that exists with that number NGC will not know the difference as it only checks the polys when you use the collisiontypepro() on it.

Try
Years of Service
User Offline
@Il Buzzo:
Sorry, my bad. I meant for example, say I've two object, one for the actual object with UV, etc. and one for light map with it's own UV and texture which I've exported to .x from another 3d software! OK!

Now I want to combine them in one .dbo, now it's your turn to make it possible with DeleD (It would be a great feature)

GOOD LUCK!
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2005 04:22
Il Buzzo - you clearly have a working knowledge of the dbo format and DeleD.... if so, could you help with a problem I have. I can generate a string of either .3ds, .dbo or .x files each contains technically no frames of animation but each is in fact one frame of a total animation - all these 3d design tools with not allow me to use one file as an add frame to the original as it dosnt technically have any animation data (hope at this point you know what I'm ranting on about).... any way that DeleD and your exporter can help or any other way? Manwalk_1 attached

Attachments

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2005 04:24
then Manwalk_2

Attachments

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2005 04:27
then Manwalk_3 - now how do I combine them into a single file with Manwalk_2 and Manwalk_3 as animation frames for Manwalk_1????

Attachments

Il Buzzo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Guys,
I've finally released my DBO Exporter Plugin Final Release 1.0 ( RC5), now this release includes the possibility to export textures to a chosen folder, and more of all to export a collision mesh dbo file to use with physics engine like Newton etc....

You can download this version, including a chm help file, from my site at :
Now this is the fixed final release, so unless there are very bad bugs this will be stable unless the end of my game .
Anyway bye .

@Duffer
I'll think to this, maybe there is a solution. I've never looked into DBO Animation data, but I'll think about it .

Salvatore "Il Buzzo"
DavidOC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2005 12:16
Great job, all options work fine, I would liked to have the option to change the lightmap name, but we can't have all we want. Good luck with your game.

Cheers

Ce Acatl Xochitzin
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 04:22
@ Il Buzzo,

Very grateful for any thoughts or pointers on this - and great job on the DBO Exporter...
BealziBob
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2005 22:33 Edited at: 4th May 2005 22:35
Fantastic Work Il Buzzo. I was so impressed after trying your exporter out with DeleD Lite that I went an bought the full DeleD Pro package.

BUT,....

I can't seem to get the plugin working with DeleD 1.0 Pro. It just will not appear in the plugin menu.

Any Ideas?

[EDIT]

D'oh I just found the DeleD updates page, sorry.

Tartopom
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

Great work Il Buzzo.

Can you post a new dbo documentation with your fixes. I'm trying to make my own but I'm stick , and I'm sure It will be useful for many people.

Thansk in advance.
Il Buzzo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Guys,
Thank you for using my plugin, I firstly developed cause I was doing my game and to export levels made with DeleD.
Well to tell the truth I can't write at the moment a big guide to DBO format, but I can still publish some addendum to commands not so clear (at least in my opinion). I'll glad to do this if The Game Creators Team won't make troubles. If so I'll put on this forum a downloadable guide.
Bye All

Salvatore "Il Buzzo"
Il Buzzo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Guys,
I've written down some addendums to DBO documentation, and I've exported as a pdf file.
You can download from this forum if you want.
Bye all and I hope to have been of help to other developers.

Salvatore "Il Buzzo"

Attachments

Tartopom
Years of Service
User Offline
Many thanks
DBAlex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2005 04:40
This is awesome!