Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Mr. Gordo: Pig in the City (a very short demo)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2005 05:48
I’ve been working on a spin-off of my "Miss Kitty Fantastico" game called Mr. Gordo: Pig in the City. It’s far from complete and needs a lot of optimization, but I’d like some feedback on speed and gameplay please.

To the Buffy fans, this a poke at the spin-off series, Angel... Mr. Gordo leaves Buffy and moves to L.A. to help the hopeless. For everybody else, Mr. Gordo is a stuffed animal (a pig) roaming the city streets in a black coat, rescuing little helpless stuffed animals and killing monsters with a sharp stick.

Missing sound effects and polished animations, no menu, only one level, and the game will abruptly quit when you reach the exit... other than that, it should be playable . Feedback on speed, crashes, and whether or not it’s any fun would be much appreciated!

http://skwirle.com/files/MrGordo.zip (~5.5MB)

Controls:
Arrows keys: run
W/A/S/Z: turn (without running)
Control: jump
Shift: attack/throw stake
You can also kill small monsters (chickens ) by jumping on them.
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2005 07:38
Did you finish Miss Kitty Fantastico?
Downloading.

Dumbo and Cool

WIP Board!
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2005 07:49 Edited at: 19th Jun 2005 07:49
Very, very nice.
I don't know what to say?

I am speechless.

Dumbo and Cool

WIP Board!
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2005 08:50
Wow very tight control.

I want to be able to choose wich direction to bakcflip to rather then only the one I'm facing.

real skwirle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2005 12:02
Thanks! I'm guessing it hasn't crashed on anybody yet

I’ve changed the control key... hold it down while pressing an arrow key to jump in that direction; makes navigating the platforms a LOT easier. Anyone who has already downloaded, you can grab the update without the media @ http://skwirle.com/files/MrGordo.pck.zip (~3MB)

Miss Kitty Fantastico... it was more “wrapped up” than “finished”, added a few more levels and powerups. By that time I had learned enough to realize how badly designed and implemented my code was. Mr. Gordo is sort of an attempt to re-write the main engine and make it more manageable.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2005 01:30
Downloading now. I'll let you know what I think soon.

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2005 01:39
You will be pleasantly rewarded for your downloading.

Dumbo and Cool

WIP Board!
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
humm.. do u know the name "Ship in the big city"?

does 1 + 1 is 11?!
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2005 01:46
You're right! That was awesome! Not that Miss Kitty Fantastico wasn't good but this was so much better!
The only problem I had was when I was only able to jump onto a block from a certain side even though it was the same height all the way around but it wasn't big enough a problem to subtract from the game.
Being a musician I would also like to say how perfectly the music fitted the game.
Overall, amazing!

Calevra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2005 07:09
yeah the game has a great feeling,only i found this bug

that happened when i walked into a fence

Jonny Ree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2005 07:40
Great gameplay and graphics.. quite a dangerous combination

Great work!

WarGoat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2005 09:26
The game is very nice! Maybe you should put a tie on the pig.

Windows XP,pentium IIII, 1,9 MGZ, 256 mb memory, 128 mb video card ATI Radeon 9200 se s80 'sett squadron back on the assault'
Gap
Years of Service
User Offline
A really nice game, and has a very nice feel for a plaformesque game. Nice how the camera switches to over head when you go into a building, and for some reason I found that 'boooiinnnnggg' jumping-sound hilarious. More of this light-hearted stuff would be good.

The movement system does get a little irritating - while the moving-in-one-direction at a time is fine, jumping (while having an amazing sound effect) can get annoying. I think it would be better to just be able to jump without moving in a direction and, as previously stated, jump in any direction. Although your collision system probably won't like that...

Quote: "Maybe you should put a tie on the pig."

I couldn't agree more.

Excellent work!

The Gap.
Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
I found the same thing as oZmania

The happenings of tommorow are behind us now
Scaleru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2005 17:53 Edited at: 20th Jun 2005 17:56
Brilliant game, love the graphics. But again, I encountered a similar error as the previously mentioned. The fence with the small smoking grate next to it causes a problem every now and then throwing the character into empty space above the fence. Hope this helps narrow it down a bit.

EDIT: Just ran through it again and it appears on all fences Hope you can sort this out, you've got a winner here.

JV

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2005 05:14 Edited at: 21st Jun 2005 05:14
That rocked. I think the jumping is fine, I just thought at first you had to be facing the direction you wanted to jump, then once I got settled in I was flipping around the rooftops and platforms. I burst out laughing when I walked into the last room and saw Strongbad singing Circles. The only bug I found was when I was holding the down arrow key up against this part:

If I kept holding down and pressed right he would teleport up to the top of the boxes. The same works if you're on the right side of the boxes and you press up. There were a couple of other areas where I could do the same thing.

Crazy Donut Productions
Current Project: A Redneck game

Attachments

Login to view attachments
real skwirle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2005 11:28
I fixed the bug with the fences, but managed to introduce a couple new bugs. Hurray! (Note to self: stop writing uncommented code at 3AM). The controls still feel clumsy, so I’m playing around with some different variations... maybe even giving the player a couple choices?

Once I get the major probs out of the way, I’ll be adding more fun and silliness (including more guest musical numbers). Like Miss Kitty, there’ll be lots of in-jokes from Buffy/Angel, but the bigger gags should be enjoyable by non-fans as well.

Oh, and I wish I could take credit for the music. But I have the musical talent of drunken marmoset, so it was snagged from www.freeplaymusic.com. I’d be tempted to offer cash incentives if anyone wants to write some original tunes for Mr. Gordo.
Frozen Flame
Years of Service
User Offline
Its a pretty cool game. When in full screen mode i got a low fps of around 4-12 but it runs around 50-70 in windowed mode. I get a little lag near the moving elevators. but its managable.

When you get to close to an enemy and they walk into you, after you get back up you get hit again because they are still trying to get you. Maybe add a 3 second safe time after dying?

Over all the game is very well made.

Mitchell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2005 15:46
Hey dude. This game's great! I also liked mis kitty.. about the music, I'd like to make some tunes for the pig

"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever"
- Shigeru Miyamoto
real skwirle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2005 13:25
Smallish update...
- Fixed the fence bug
- Slight extension to the alley (level ~50% complete)
- Added scripts for switches (activate platforms, open doors, etc.)
- Added scripts for simple NPCs
- Now with tacos!

Quote: "When in full screen mode i got a low fps of around 4-12..."

Ack! That’s horrible. I still have quite a bit of optimization to do (Oddly enough, I get lower FPS when windowed than full-screen)

Mitchell: Thanks! Check your email
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2005 23:26 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2005 23:27
Quote: "I’d be tempted to offer cash incentives if anyone wants to write some original tunes for Mr. Gordo."

Hi, I've written music for games before, for my own projects (Dumbo and Cool in WIP board) and for others. Would you like me to come up with something? Have you got any style in mind? I'll get some samples of my stuff for you, prompto!

Another thing; a great touch would be to have a cameo from Miss Kitty in one of the levels.

Great game, and congrats on the newsletter! hope this gets more feedback!.

Dumbo and Cool

WIP Board!
STALKER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2005 09:40
My bands music owns all!

>>>>>>>>>>>MIRAGE STUDIOS<<<<<<<<<<<
>>MEDIEVAL CARNIVAL<->GLADIATOR ARENA<<
real skwirle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2005 12:18
Drew: That’d be awesome... as long as we still get Dumbo & Cool on time! I’m moving at a leisurely pace and haven’t thought too much about the music (assumed I’d just slap something in at the last minute). I do like the fast-pacing of the "borrowed" track I’m currently using, maybe a little lighter? I’m open to suggestions from individuals more musically-talented than I.

One thing I would love is a silly/light-hearted/Nintendoesque version of the Angel theme (http://skwirle.com/files/Angel.mp3, ~1MB) for the main title and menu screens. Or something "similar" (already treading questionable copyright waters).

Quote: "congrats on the newsletter"

I blew right past the mention. Crackers. Now I actually have to finish a project!

Stalker: Who huh what?
someone namedlink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2005 17:02
WOW, that's fantastic! it's a really good game. i had only 1 problem: when you want to go backwards, you can't see the enemy behind you because you can only see 1 or 2 tiles behind, so maybe when you go backwards you can adjust the camera?
keep up the good work!

DIV/DBP-coder
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2005 18:09 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2005 18:17
Haha, I loved Miss Kitty Fantastico and this is looking to be as good/better I love the lil references and stuff, they add a good comedy vibeness to the game. I know vibeness is not a word. I care not!
I think you got the jumping down, it's just the right kind of difficulty for the kind of jumping puzzles you'll likely have. Fun fun =D

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2005 19:57
Yeah; I can only agree with what Tifu said.

I'll get onto you about the music via Email.

Dumbo and Cool

WIP Board!
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2005 15:29
this definately was good, but that said.. the controls and movement feel very clunky still.

i think it would be better with a more fluid mario-style, but that's probably just me. I mean the grid-based movement is cool, but there is no law saying that you must remain in the grid centres.

the time the movement and such got to me was when the bears got to close. also i'm not so fond of the way they die; it wouldn't be hard to do some cartoon style smoke.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2005 18:33
May I ask what is with the strange guy playing guitar in the room with a Buffy poster?

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2005 03:38
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2005 05:26
Hi;

I've got to admit this first of all - I'm using loop CD's for my music creation - but not just one, many! So I'm not really setup to compose a track in the vein of Angel theme meldoically, but I can do something very similar style wise - guitar, violins etc...

Soon
Had another play, noticed the guy in the room with the guitar this time around.

Dumbo and Cool

WIP Board!
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2005 09:45
Noticed the billboard for the musical atop one of the roofs?
I love lil references like these, gravestone in MKF were great

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah gotta love strong bad!Didnt know a lot of people knew homestarrunner.

New episodes of family guy sunday!
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2005 07:14
Yeah he's pretty popular..

I'm told that buffy actually made a homestar ref in one ep... some characters were playing D&D or something and came across Trogdor heee. So I am told anyhoo, i recall not the episode in question

real skwirle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2005 10:00
Well, I’m stumped. And a little grumpy. I’ve been working on the controls and loosening the grid-based movement, but my faux-collision detection (and just about everything else) breaks. Horribly. I’m not sure I can kludge in any significant changes, but I’m loathe to start over at this point. My original idea for the movement was based on a couple simple games I liked, largely for the predictability, moving the character a specific distance with each keypress. Worked for Miss Kitty, although doesn’t translate as well for Mr. Gordo.

I’m going back to the dungeon to see what I can come up with.

Quote: "i'm not so fond of the way they die"

The animation for the monsters is temporary. The concept is to have the teddy bears “explode” in a cloud of stuffing as they disintegrate… they also need some attack animations, better walk cycle, etc.

Quote: "I'm told that buffy actually made a homestar ref in one ep... i recall not the episode"

<fanboy>That was Andrew in the final ep “Chosen”. He also wears a Strong Bad T-shirt in one of the final eps of Angel.</fanboy>

Quote: "I love lil references "

I’m actually just in this for the jokes
Anlino
Years of Service
User Offline
Heh, this is truly a wonderful game. Kept playing it for about twenty minutes, all the time with a big smile on my face. I want another beta...
Supremacy
Years of Service
User Offline
where did u got that angel music ?
where can i find free music like that one ^?

great game!

http://netbux.org/?r=258795
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2005 02:38
what can I say....
cool
can you mail me if the game is ready??

[href][/href]
real skwirle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2005 06:23
I finally have an update... http://skwirle.com/files/MrGordo.zip (9.72MB). The game is closer to what I originally envisioned, but still a long way to go. It also runs much slooower now, which is my biggest issue at the moment. Feedback on FPS would be appreciated!

Rain! Looks cool, but drags the framerate down... I'll be including an option to turn this off (or go into User\sgm.ini and set detail to 1 or 0).
More triggers and switches for doors and platforms.
Platforms can move horizontally as well as vertically.
Multiple weapons w/ different ranges and ammo (start with stakes, then new weapon per level).
Changes to camera movement (well, still a bit twitchy and needs work).
The last bear in the level is a placeholder for a boss, requires multiple hits to kill.
Added some sounds, fluffed up the title screen and in-game help, and threw in free coffee and donuts.

I'm planning on making all of the "rooms" either a joke (like Strong Bad) or a side puzzle... right now 2 of the rooms are just empty.

Supremacy Project:
Quote: "where did u got that angel music ? where can i find free music like that one ^?"

That's the theme song from the now-cancelled TV show Angel, performed by Darling Violetta (http://www.darlingvioletta.com).

Jack:
Quote: "can you mail me if the game is ready??"

Will do
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2005 06:38
Yay! Downloading.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2005 06:58 Edited at: 11th Jul 2005 06:59
Man, you rule!

I like the new rain, I like it alot! And I especially like the newer controls. It's also cool you've changed the level, the new one is alot better (and I thought the old one was great) as there is alot more happening; more variation in scenery etc... I can't wait to see the stage boss

Oh yeah, and the sound when the bears die... GRRR, ARGGG nice joke. (from the end of the show)

I will get around to doing some kind of music if you'd still ike, just give me about two weeks until I'm not so busy with everything (job, a friend's issue, d&c) etc...

AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2005 03:32
Holy crapoly! I saw this at work but couldn't download it, then I forgot all about it. I just saw it and downloaded it now and played as far as I could. I must say this has to be one of the most professional looking/feeling/playing games I have ever seen come from DBP. It was, humorous at time, smooth, perfect. Although I do wish you gave us some more stakes! Heh. Although on my last life when I died, the program errored out on "Could not load sound #", I forgot to record the number. Either way, mmm, if you sell, I shall buy.

Great great work. I especially like the one room on the left with alien dude on his guitar. I loved how it got quiet when you entered, and then you exit back out to this heart-pumping music.

P4 2.4Ghz HT, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB, 19" Samsung SyncMaster 997DF, 80GB HD

real skwirle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2005 12:15
Thanks all It’s funny, but I came very close to scrapping this game early on because I thought it‘d be too boring. Glad people are enjoying it.

Drew: Yes please! But take your time, I’m in no rush. I’ll be working on this little piggy for quite a while.

I’m currently busy polishing this level (definitely an ammo shortage, amongst other issues) and adding some more features. Might have a big update in a couple weeks.

Quote: "Could not load sound #"

Oops... I know exactly where that is

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 17:52:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 17:52:59