Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Puzzle Game Competition / [LOCKED] Iro

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2005 07:07 Edited at: 29th Jul 2005 18:01
By Dave Burford (Sephnroth)
Dark Game SDK

You are a gyroscope traveling across a 3D world which has had all its colour drained. Pick up colour capsules and return them to the level heart in order to restore this colour. When all colour has been restored to the world you win! Keep your eye on the time limit though.

Download: http://72.36.165.83/iro.zip

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices.
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2005 10:24 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2005 10:25
Okay, just wanted to show a few more screenshots and list game features to get people more interested as I dont think the description alone is going to do it

Game Features:

3 level classes - Beginner, Advanced and Expert

Tutorial Mode

Real time audio spectrum analsys - the backgrounds in game are all real time visualisations of the music you hear, monsters and pickups pulse to the beat of the tune and the level heart displays the volume of sound coming out of the left and right speakers

Original music written just for the game

Fully configurable - choose your desired resolution, screen mode, advanced graphics options, configure the sound volumes, bind your own input keys using the controls menu and when your done save your personalised config

Joystick/Joypad support - the key binder will accept joystick input too

This version of the game has 24 levels of varying difficulty

Games engine is plug and play codewise, if people like it then updates and mappacks can be realeased with ease as well as tools to make your own modifications with.

Was written using the DarkSDK and takes advantage of additional code libraries.

Additional Screens: (all from Beginner Class)

http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/iro/new/iro01.jpg
http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/iro/new/iro02.jpg
http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/iro/new/iro03.jpg
http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/iro/new/iro04.jpg
http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/iro/new/iro05.jpg

I hope you enjoy my game!

PLEASE read the readme file! If nothing else, skip all of it (it is manual sized) and just read the Known Bugs section - it will save you headaches later!

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2005 10:42
I'm voting for this game being I was involved with testing, and the gravity/collision/physics aspect. Plus, generally speaking, this is a truly addictive and original puzzle game concept!!

Your good friend, APEX!

Home of the Cartography Shop - DarkBASIC Professional map importer
Louiz ofRohr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2005 12:57 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2005 13:00
ok.. Fourth place in my opinion..
The game is really cool..
The graphics are ok.. the idea is really new..

The worst foe lies within the self...
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2005 18:08
I'm enjoying this alot actually. Very innovative indeed. After playing most of the games that looked semi appealing to me, this one stood out the most Gameplay wise. 1st place in my book

http://blog.myspace.com/erict An Alternative to Mouse's blog. Now with more lowbrow opinions.** Warning - explicit language**
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2005 20:26
1st place

Home of the Cartography Shop - DarkBASIC Professional map importer
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 00:25
Thanks for the votes and comments everyone ^^ Hope it inspires more people to try it, theres alot of competition here! ^_^

Rich, its just me being picky really, but could you change the DBPro bit at the top to DarkSDK? I meant to mention that I used DarkSDK in the readme but I wrote that thing after a 36 coding binge with no sleep (and damn, after reading it I see it shows!) and completly forgot

Pheonixx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 15:08
Excellent Game, 1st place in my book.

http://ausukusa.breakset.com
warship45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 17:05
nice game a bit slow but that may just be my computer i and giving you 3rd

lone land the rpg
web site coming soon
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 00:19
I'm going to have to go back and play this one again now - personally it just didn't captivate me all that much during play, and seemed overly complex (I also managed to get into a situation where no doors opened and I could do nothing). But given what people have said I will try this again for sure.

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices.
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 02:35 Edited at: 25th Jul 2005 02:38
Give it a chance rich Tbh it isnt as polished as I hoped, I simply ran out of time. Theres a few known bugs that can be real buggers if you dont know how to look out for them (mentioned in the readme and how to avoid them) but its all because i entered so late :/

The game is hard in places - *I* have serious trouble with those 2 expert maps and I certainly loose lifes going through advanced Sometimes you can reach a point where you have caused all the doors to shut - but this is by design. You have to be carful of the order of the paint you pickup - utilise the planning screen for this. Tbh in beginner this should never be a problem and its very hard to litrally get yourself stuck on those levels. Most of advanced its not a problem too but some missions make use of that puzzle element. This is why there is a Restart Level option (Default, R) - it costs one life to use but will completly reset the level.

If you can stick with it try and get through some of advanced, theres some levels in there im quite proud of and personally enjoyed making/playing. The first of note is one my friend made which is based off the Frogger game, using patrolling monsters (of very high speed..) as the cars and designing the level to look like the old frogger game The second one of interest I made and its based off donkey kong - again using patrolling monsters but this time as barrels. And i built a donkey kong out of blocks and even animated his arms by using a moving platform entity set to a really high speed - a donkey kong should win me the competition on its own! XDDD

But anyway yeah I hope you can enjoy it ^^ It could be considered complex I guess, but it IS a puzzle game ^^ All the kind comments here have ensured that I will add to it, optimise it and generally make it better with bug fixes etc. It can only get better from here

Thankyou all ^^

EDIT:

Just wanted to say.. "REAL TIME AUDIO ANALSYS!" several times over - no one has really commented on it XD

fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 02:54
This was potentially the best entry but I can't play it without thinking it's missing something.

It looks and sounds great and has plenty of options and levels.

Although there is a bit too much reliance on "find key to open door puzzles" some of the levels are really clever and must have taken ages to design.

The doors are a bad idea IMO. Using the default camera they too often hide huge chunks of the level. You could argue that's part of the puzzle but I just found it made it harder to see what the level looked like and to work out a solution.

So some minor niggles, otherwise very polished but....

Why no proper gravity? You have some lovely level design but the slopes have no effect at all. Some of the more boring levels would have been so much more challenging and fun if you'd implemented Marble Madness/Spindizzy style controls using the mouse. Instead of simple puzzle solving it would then also have been a game of skill.

Just an opinion but a possible missed opportunity.

3rd

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 03:03
Thanks for your comments Fog ^^

Belive it or not, gravity pushing you down the slopes was intended for implementation. There are a few levels not in that build designed to take advantage of it using slope puzzles and stuff. There is even one i was in the middle of making that was waiting on an entity to dynamically change the gravity meaning you could only make it up certain slopes at certain times and stuff! But again, time nuetered me. Its not used in that build, but each slope tile you see in game has a directional vector stored as part of its node data which shows the direction of the slope. The code utilising it was too problematic though and I ran out of time to fix it so it had to be cut else it really would of ruined the game more than it would of added anything good.

Other things were also discussed about like the speed you are traveling at effecting the spin of the gyroscope and the slower you get the slower your gyro span and everyone knows what happens to gyroscopes when they stop spinning (they fall over).

Also, and you may find this interesting - those levels are textured. When you bring colour back to the world it doesnt just get added to a general pool of colour which the blocks get coloured as - its actually diffusing the textures. You are LITRALLY restoring colour, not making it. If the texture used was green then restoring 255 of every colour would make it green not white - this was another thing not taken advantage of - namely because no one ever made any textures that didnt blind the user XD and also because it would confuse doors as the world wouldnt nessiarilly be the same colour as them when they are open. But I do have a few ideas for an iro 2...

But yeah, lots of things didnt make it which is a shame.

Also, a note to everyone - this game I am happy to share the source code with if anyone asks. At the moment its untidy and not commented alot, but anyone can have it if they want. Its DarkSDK though so its c++ - darkbasic users wouldnt get alot from it ^^

fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 03:09
Quote: "Belive it or not, gravity pushing you down the slopes was intended for implementation."

Yeah that was the feeling I got when playing it.

I appreciate the time constraints assotiated with a compo and the cuts you are forced to make......that's why I never enter

Quote: "But I do have a few ideas for an iro 2..."

I look forward to that.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 07:17
I rated this 6th in my list and it would definately have come in top 4 but I feel it was just let down slightly by the difficult learning curve. There is an awful lot to master and the doors, like fog said, are a bit of a hindrence. All too easy to get trapped.

I do however praise the amount of work that must have gone into the game, specially the 'REAL TIME AUDIO ANALYSIS!!!!'

I may revisit game in near future when I have more time as it sounds like there is a great game waiting to burst out.

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 13:52
I haven't played this one yet, but from the comments, Locks seem to be your main downfall...

Have a read of this article, which explains how to effectively use locks, and how not to use them

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/design/features/locks/

Jess.

Team EOD :: All-Round Nice Guy
Want Better dbHelp Files?
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 15:21 Edited at: 25th Jul 2005 15:27
hmm, well the doors are supposed to hinder you, its the entire point. I have never had anyone who was beta testing this during its devlopment time complain about it, some even love the concept x.x On most levels I really dont see how it can be that much of an issue and on the others you are provided with the planning screen and a set amount of planning time with the ability to buy more. You can, and quite often are supposed to, plan your route fully through a level. If it was a maze game (which in some senses it could be considered as) would people complain about the amount of dead ends in the maze even if a top down few ecompassing the whole maze was provided for them to plan a route through? o.O

If you get yourself stuck it is your error. It is by design. If whilst playing chess you inadvertantly block your own kings fall back route and then find him mated then its your error - the game of chess shouldnt change to let the king move in more directions or change the conditions for checkmate - you simply have to start your game again.

Please try and not judge the game too harshly on this. Puzzles dont just revolve around doors, on many levels the doors just split the worlds up into sections of puzzles which you can move through as you go. I can think of a couple of worlds which dont have a single door on them infact. I can see it getting perhaps slightly much due to the fact I didnt get to add all the entities i wanted so there isnt as much variety as I would like, but this is the first I have heard from anyone about it being the games "downfall" :/

All comments are taken on board though, I will try and improve on it in the next version.

EDIT:

What did you find hard to master spooky, out of curiosity? I belive the tutorial should of explained all the basics (you did do it right?) and the readme even gave a comprehensive list of all entities you can encounter in game. The "learning" bit should be quite easy, especially in this version with its small amount of entities - if anything its the "doing curve" but it shouldnt be any harder to master than say monkey ball o.O Certainly not a learning curve as large as games like rainbow six, civilisation or starwars rebellion XD

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2005 03:04
I liked this game a lot, and I noticed the real time audio analysis part when it was first on the forums. I think that kind of thing can only be done using C++/DarkSDK as DBPro doesn't have the goods to tap into those sounds.

The Tutorial was very helpful, I found the uncolored squares to be a bit too dark (I know that was intentional) as I fell through a couple times even while paying attention. Maybe make the grey borders a little lighter. The pumping objects to the beat was really cool, but it wasn't using the audio analysis for that as they kept pumping even when the song got quiet?

The X/Z moving platforms required me to "walk along" them, it would have been nice if I moved along with the platform without having to move myself. Just a small detail.

I wonder if the gyroscope movement could be done a little differently. Instead of having to turn the player and move forward, have the movement relative to the camera angle. There were a few times when I wanted to just slide along to the left and go forward again, but I had to turn twice to do it.

Well done and quite expansive, going on my voting list for sure.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2005 03:40
Thankyou for your comments, im glad you enjoyed the game

I like your idea about the movement relitive to the camera - its a technique i use in my rpg engine, Shisaku. It is a simple matter to add more camera modes which the player can cycle through with C, theres no reason why one cant cater to that request so i have already put it on my "to do" list

haha you noticed about the pulsing pickups and stuff Its true that it doesnt use the music for that - it has some preset timers which are synced to various BPM's and depending on the track's preset bpm it switches timers so that it can sync to the right pulse speed.

I could do real time beat detection - the basic idea I have for doing that would be to scan the lowest 5 or 10 frequencies of the sound and adverage them up, you would then adverage all the adverages you have taken over the past second or so and any value which is a significent jump over the expected adverage would be considered a beat. That would be a beat caused by something bassy though as thats what those frequencies represent - a kick drum or a singular bass shot. Doing the same with the higher frequencies would give me cymble hits and some snares - a possibility here to do special things in visualisation for kicks and cymbles/hihats which would be quite cool

But to be quite honest it wouldnt be as accurate as syncing with the literal bpm and would take a fair amount of extra processing per tick - the game wanted optimising so I decided to foresake it for now

About the platforms - i did think about wether or not to move the player with platforms that move on the x and z axis' but in the end I went for no. It works the same way in super monkey ball on the game cube, it forces a certain amount of skill on the part of the player to then keep time with the platforms and allows for other types of puzzles. Example, on the level "Contract, Expand" the entire level is a set of moving platforms constantly contracting and expanding which you must keep time with to reach your goals - the level would be completly pointless if the game handled that aspect for you Another example is on the level "BREAKS!!!" there is one moving platform you need to get on for the last colours and optionally that moving platform will allow you access to another one that is moving significantly faster and takes you to a plasma pickup. It can be hard to time getting on it and harder still to stay on it - but it isnt required to complete the level, only to get a 100% cleared bonus at the end This is why I designed platforms like I did ^^

Again thanks for the good comments - I will be continuing work on Iro for a bit, theres LOTS of stuff to add, bugs to fix and optimisations to make - this game offers alot of possibilities Thankyou for motivating me

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2005 06:26
I love love love this game! #1 in my vote, for great gameplay, cool puzzlyness, and nice presentation.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2005 06:51
Awesome. I fell off the edges a bit too many times myself, but still an amazingly amazing game.

second place.

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2005 20:22 Edited at: 29th Jul 2005 20:27
You must have mad ninja skilz in order to have made this in time. Very profesional. First indie I`ve seen where I`ve had to create a profile. Nice touch. Also nice to see a decent tutorial. I couldn`t get a hang of the controls though. It was very slidy and I kept slipping off. Perhaps you could have done a more restrictive block based movement so I wouldn`t fall off. I`ve get to get more practise with it. I died on the second tutorial level. Prehaps you could have made easier tutorial levels?

Gimme teh votez!!!!
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2005 06:53
I'm giving this game my 3rd place vote. Good job!

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 18:16
Thankyou all for the comments! ^_^

I have noticed the movement is a little sensitive - especially when using a joypad I found. I'll tweak that a little, possiable have a sensitivity slider for joypads in the controls menu too.

I didn't think the tutorials were that hard, but mind you I have been playing it solidly for a month so i was pretty practiced by the time I made them XD I will tweak them a little more if its required ^^

Well thankyou all, glad you enjoyed my game ^^

Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 01:39
I like this game for the retro 3d feel and the puzzle concept, the graphics look like some of the old acorn archimedes games I remember playing, just 3d, and the puzzle idea using colour, although a little difficult to follow at times it's not impossible to get the hang of.

My negative comments are as follows:

The collision neds to be made sliding with the walls, it's annoying when you hit a wall and stop but the physics don't stop the object speed, very disconcerting when you try to move backwards and it doesn't move as quickly as you'd expect.

I really don't like it when happens if you fall off a block, hit another and suddenly appear on top of it, probably my biggest fault with this game. Although it doesn't happen too often since I spend a lot of time avoiding the edges.

4th place vote from me, nice work.

I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it!

Current Projects: Lemmings Remake & (undecided)
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 16:18
Thankyou ^^

Yes the two things you commented on are bugs rather than missing features and are listed in the readme under the known bugs section. They are, of course, being worked out

The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2005 19:26
I like the innovation in this game, the concept of picking up colours to paint the world with. Platform-puzzlers always appeal to me anyway, I enjoyed playing. One thing annoys me though, if you travel down a step too slowly then you get stuck in the block you just fell off. Otherwise it's very well presented, with nice music and audio analysis. Oh yeah, and camera controls in the planning screen could be made better. Still, it's a favourite of mine, in my top 10

Once I was but the learner, now, I am the Master.
See my site for amazing games and demos!
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2005 12:18
Undoubtedly a fantastic game, I played it for like 5 minutes and am hooked! Innovative, fun, addictive, great music. What can I say? 1st Place!!!

It Wasnt Me
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2005 17:36 Edited at: 10th Aug 2005 17:36
My 3rd place vote!

Pros:
Cool music
Nice pulsating background
Nice menu
Very original idea
Nice map
Nice in-game tutorial

Cons:
A little hard sometimes
Sometimes when there were those boost thingys it was easy to get disorented

3 of 53

If it was me, I wouldn't know it.
Spambergo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2005 17:37
I love the concept in this game! Very stylish... however, it didn't quite hold my interest as long as I thought it would. Not to mention I got stuck in a wall early on. But definately a good game!
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2005 10:04
Pro's:
Nice, original puzzle game.
Sound effects are nice
Music just kicks arse!
Music Visualizations are awesome too!
Great tutorials for playing the game.
Menus and in-game HUD are easy to use and understand

Con's:
Some really nasty bugs, basically robbing me of lives ( Gets VERY Frustrating after a little while! )
Some issues with the tutorial levels lost alot of lives for me.
Not much variation other than to go around collecting colours and opening doors -> Levels stay the same blockish squares, and monstors stay the same monstoryness, etc.

Comment:
A nice game that, given some more bug squshing time, could prove to be very fun.
The bugs in the game made it just too frustrating to play - Never knowing what's going to happen next to take a life away from you!
The visuals are a little bland. Maybe some variations on the blocks here and there, or possible some different colour combinations rather than just RGB, Aqua, Yellow, Purple, etc.
Good job on the game, but no votes, sorry.

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2005 17:01
Thanks again for comments all

Jes, you did read the readme right with the list of known bugs, what causes them and how to avoid them? It was there to save eome people some headaches as I simply didnt have enough time to fix everything

Yah the levels could of done with more work. You do get some variety deeper into the advanced campaign with levels like frogger, donkey kong (with its own animated donkey kong monkey made of of blocks! XD) and that pretty awesome one my friend designed which i cant remember the name of but keeps you constantly flying through the air nonstop on jump pads and requires air turns to be done and stuff XD

There is an opertunity for different colours than just RGB, because quite simply the game engine doesnt care - rather than adding colour to the world you really ARE restoring it, its a textured world. Its just textured white atm is all XD It would make doors a bit confusing.. but something to work on.

Ahwell, i'm happy you had 6 pros and only 3 cons

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2005 18:11
Sephnroth,

Yeah, read the readme for every game before I played it ( incase it pointed out known bugs etc ). I saw all the stated bugs.

The issues with the tutorial level is that when you get stopped for a pop-up, then you get going again, you still have the same speed as you did when you were stopped ( meaning you kept going, and if you were near an edge, about to turn, you get hurled off it and lose some lives ).

Other bugs included randomly falling through a block for no obvious reason other than the game wanted me dead Then there's the others noted in the readme.
Sliding collision is a must for this, especially when you're navigating between a valley of blocks!

About the colours,
Yeah, the engine wouldn't care, so you should have mixed it up a little more.
I understand that for the start, you wanted to keep things simple - Red, Green, Blue, etc, but a few levels in, the colours should be getting alot more diverse ( you DO have 32 million to choose from! ).

Again, good game, but it missed out on the votes from me. Squish some more bugs, and polish it up some more, and you've got a very nice game there!

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2005 18:20
Falling through blocks?! Oh Lord, you're the first person to complain of that, thats not good -_- How the hell that is happening I have no clue, at least i can understand why the other problems are there and fix them accordingly ><;; its never happened to me and I dont think anyone else :/

About the popup thing, you have no idea how many times thats been changed! The first time I played I found myself going off the side thanks to popups, so i made it stop the player (its just one line of code, no problem). Then a ton of people complained that it stopped them and they had to pick up speed again rather than keep on going! So I changed it back. Then we had a group debate and the winning outcome was to make it stop the player again. So I changed. Then two other friends got in from work, joined the group convo and swayed the vote the other way "for reasons of level design where hints might need to be placed at any point in the level but suddenly stopping the player could proove fatal" and it got changed, AGAIN.

I just cant win, I really cant XD

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2005 02:56
Ahhhh, the joys of pleasing an audience!

Yeah, with the falling through blocks, it seemed to be between the cracks ( where two blocks join up ), and it only happened at random in certain levels ( I can't remember which, but I don't think it makes much difference anyway ). It'd be as if there was suddenly no block beneith, and POOF, I fall into oblivion

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2005 22:01
Whilst I didn`t like the slidy movement I thought it deserves 4th place on a pure technical merit. The tutorials were nice.

Gimme teh votez!!!!
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2005 21:51
Very, very nice.

I liked the idea, I liked the music, I liked the graphics, I liked the tutorial, I liked the planning screen, I liked the enemies, I liked the gameplay and I loved the blocky level design.

GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT!!!!!!111
I wish the Puzzle mode levels in my D&C game were as well designed as these ones.

A vote from me!

Katie Holmes says, check the Program Announcements board for the new Dumbo & Cool demo.
ZioNz
Years of Service
User Offline
very good, polished game, i liked the audio effects. The only problem i found was some collision issues.
my 1st vote.
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2005 07:57
Well I just finished reading the newsletter and I would just like to say a big thanks to everyone that helped me acheive 4th in this competition ^^ Also I would like to say well done to everyone who entered, a great set of entries
4th im very happy with - considering the time constraints I was working with I was expecting to get much lower, so once again thankyou all
I will try to improve iro and re-release it at some point in the future

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 12:19:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 12:19:47