Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / The >NEW< Redwall Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 01:57 Edited at: 31st Jul 2006 02:01
This is a continuation of the Redwall Project found under the title "Matthias and the Abbey... how shall I do it?" becasue most of that information is no longer relevant. I did explain some complex effect programming and modelling techniques on the old post and here's the link if you want to see what's already been going on:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=44718&b=19&p=4

Since the Oblivion idea fell apart (yay!) because we couldn't use custom character models. The Redwall Game Project will be written completely in Dark Basic Professional. Since we will be using a variety of special effects, DBPro add ons, and software availiable through TGC, I will do my best to explain them when I post screenies, code, or whatever.

Here's some important information involving the plot of the Redwall books so that I don't get anymore posts about possible villians, or heros that wouldn't work:

The Redwall Book series is named after an red sandstone abbey which lies in the forest of Mossflower. The abbey is not just an abbey, but a sanctuary for the entire surrounding area, with high and thick stone walls surround the parade grounds, pond, gardens, orchard, belltower and main building. Redwall Abbey is the home of peaceful woodland creatures such as: Mice, hares, rabbits, squirrels, badgers, moles, voles, hedgehogs, otters, and shrews. The basic plot of each book is that they have been living peacefully for sometime, and along comes an evil warlord (or warlady) who for whatever reason journeys into the area, and more often than not, tries to conquer the abbey and force the creatures into slavery. The Warlord and his hordes/armies typically consist of creatures like: Weasles, ferrets, stoats, pinemartens, polecats, wildcats, rats, and foxes. All of the animals are of the British Isles persuation, meaning you couldn't have things like dodo's or capybara's showing up randomly. There are also a large variety of animals that do not necissarily side with either of the two main groups as well: crows, sparrows, falcons, herring, swans, geese, ducks, crabs, seagulls, toads, frogs, newts, adders and other snakes, insects galore, turtles, and the like.

It'd be nice to upload a map of Mossflower country and the surrounding area, but I haven't bought the poster yet, lol.

Anyways, just like in the books, we are trying to focus the game around puzzles, riddles, mystery, legends, poetry, cooking, farming, and most of what goes on, plus character development, and an addictive storyline. There will be many sidequests, and very little, if any combat. Basically keeping it as much "Redwall" as we possibly can. This is a non commercial project, so none of it's creators or designers are making any money off of anything involved in it that has been or will be produced during or after it's production. Once the game is finally completed, it will be made openly availiable for downloading.

To all the Redwall fans and fannettes out there, please be patient as good Role-Playing-Games are usually not made over night.

Thanks all! -- Benjy Wright

Daris Xiao - Phonetic: Daris Shiao. aka: Benjy Wright.
2.0Ghz Pentium 4 - 512mb RAM - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb Video
Steam Assassin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 06:16
Good luck, and have a good time!

Don't mess with Texas!
...Internet? What the hell is that!
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 18:53 Edited at: 31st Jul 2006 18:57
Yay! Finally!!! But are you still going to have Alex and the professional modelers to help you on the graphics part of things?
Good Job Benjy! I'm so exited I can hardly wait... I guess I'll just have to do some redwall RPing in the Terrouge forums or something.

EDIT: Has whoever in charge of the modeling decided anything about giving the Redwall models out free in a "Redwall Media Pack"? That would be awesome because it would be the only Redwall models out there! And then we could all make similar Redwall mini games or something (eg "Who Can Out Eat Basil?")

Daris Xiao or Benjy Wright
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 03:37 Edited at: 16th Aug 2006 02:39
@Sunflash: Yeah Alex and his character modelling friend are still helping. But please don't post anything onto any forums. NOTHING! It's kinda comlicated why, but don't put anything about this project up anywhere's yet. We are taking care of our own publicity, and we want to keep it quiet for now.

Since we're still figuring out the way the game will run, and exactly what's going to happen story-wise, I've been playing arund building plants. So... Here's a screenie of what it's looking like, as of this morning:

(Looks sooooo much ore awesome when everything is swaying in the breeze!)

EDIT: sorry about the large size (not really) but I wanted y'all to see what it really looks like, rather than shrinking it.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 06:59
Looks great, but the fps is 7.

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS 256MB PCIEx, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Need particles? Click here!
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 07:55 Edited at: 14th Aug 2006 07:56
Yeah, completely fantastic looking, but it doesn't look suitable for an RPG. Too many objects, too much alpha blending. How many separate grass objects do you have there?

Since it sounds like your trees are animated, I take it that they're not instanced. If you drop the animations and instance the trees, it will significantly raise FPS. I'd save animated trees for cutscenes.

Come see the WIP!
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 20:59
Or do wind effects on instanced trees like I do with code.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 02:37
Actually, they are instanced trees and they are animated with code. lol.

The low frame rate is only because I held the "Print Screen" key for a couple seconds so that it would slow down and I could get the leaves captured just the way I wanted them to. (rather silly of me)

It's actually getting about 27+ fps. I had 500 patches of grass and 75 trees during this test, but I'm not sure exactly how many were on the screen in this particular shot.

I'm going to have about 300 grass patches and 30 trees drawn at a time, all the ones too far away will be billboards. I'm still working on it, though.

I've captured a video of the trees and such moving and I'll upload it and a new screenie now...

Attachments

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 02:39 Edited at: 16th Sep 2006 19:07
And here's the new screenie:

I've fixed the parallax shader effect on the Towers and gate thingy, and I've put it on the trees again, it still needs so work though.

The "...and not moosie!!!" line is just a random thing I had it put if a certain variable was true, I just had to have it tell me for debug purposes, and I didn't need to write something relevent because it's just temporary anyways. Sorry for the wierdness, lol.

2.4Ghz Pentium 4 (800FSB!!!) - 1024mb RAM - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb Video

Attachments

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 06:40
very nice, love that screenshot .

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 08:38
That inspires me.

I'm going to eat you!
cheeseman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 22:44
theres alot wrong with that first, if its edwall abbey then its too short it should be longer, if its not its probably too short... another thing mossflower is mostly woods use a map from the book to see what uor doing, oh and watch the tv shows they made for it(they may be centered around the youger vewiers but they would really help)

i like redwall, videogames, and...CHEESE!!
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 14:12
The thing with the Redwall map is, there is no set map. It changed each book, IE one book they went to that big ass lake in the middle of no-where.

I love Redwall, and I love what you've got going there. Good stuff.

Regards,
Greenlig(eech...too old to be enjoying redwall still!)

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 04:50
That's very good.

Only thing though that even 27 fps seems slow to me. I can't stand fps below 60, although I will except 50 maybe.

Uncle Sam
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 17:17
Quote: "Only thing though that even 27 fps seems slow to me. I can't stand fps below 60, although I will except 50 maybe."

The thing is, it's purely an environmental demo. Once all of the gameplay is dropped in, the framerate will be further reduced, greatly. Imagine particles, animated models, etc.

I tried to keep my environmentals above 200 fps. It won't be the perfect environment, but you still have room for great gameplay

Come see the WIP!
Medieval Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 18:37 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2006 18:39
If I can remeber the abby has an outer wall and then an inner building...with a pond, fruit trees and other plants. There is one large gate and then a few small doors on each side.
Thus by looking at the picture I can tell it is not Redwall Abby but just some other castle....that is just there in the woods....

These should help

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 03:13
I own the Official Redwall Abbey model! This gate was just a quick effect test. I wanted the geometry to be moderately complex, but once I removed the unseen polygons, it sped up quite a bit.

Also, I'm still refining the scenery, most of my textures are 512^2 and that's really straining the video card, plus I'm running DBPro, Texture Maker, 3D Canvas, Plus Windows Media Player all at once with my crazy multi-tasking-skittles.

Also, Since the high detail trees can't be used but so much, I'll be setting up billboards that will sit off in the distance, so only the trees nearby will look really good. Most of the game will be in the forest, so you'll hardly even be able to see the trees far away. "You can't see the forest through the trees." - that kinda thing, lol. Plus, that bark effect not only stresses it out, it also doesn't look as good as I would like, I'm trying to get it right.

And we are trying to keep the Redwall and Mossflower area as much like it appears in the book as possible. (Had to point out to Alex Kain that St. Ninian's Church was burned in The Pearls of Lutra, lol.) And our book is supposed to be happening after all of the current books so if anything, we might put some rubble. ...wait... nevermind... they didn't leave anything standing. nevermind! no St. Ninian's...

I won't be able to get to work on the game play and controls programming until me and Alex figure out exactly how we want to do it.

I'll try keep you guys posted on everything. TTYL, and thank for the Advice!

Cavex
Years of Service
User Offline
That looks call.

Ske cards is ready to download http://skycards.no-ip.org/sky_card.rar
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 07:23
Quote: "The thing with the Redwall map is, there is no set map. It changed each book, IE one book they went to that big ass lake in the middle of no-where"

No, there is a set map, I own it. The maps in the book change because they're different locations entirly. Fo instance, the lake it in the far SE, and Redwall and St. Ninians is close to the center of the map.

Your signature has been erased by a mod
tdc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 23:45
Actually Sunflash, the places in the Redwall universe change a bit with every book's map. There are 'set' maps, but they become obselete about the same moment a new book is written

For instance, look at the mountain chain Martin had to travel under in "Mossflower." Now look for the same mountains in other books - in some of the more recent books (Triss and Rakkety Tam) those mountains were replaced by total flatlands, no mountains. The distances between landmarks change between book maps as well.
In the Loamhedge map, Redwall Abbey is completely surrounded by forest, while in Rakkety Tam, it is much closer to the flatlands between it and Salamandastron and is right on the fringe of Mossflower Wood, with no forest between it and the plains.

A lot of things stay mostly the same (the River Moss, for the most part, Brockhall), so we're going to stick as close to those as possible and compromise on the locations where we can. For example, I'm thinking that most can agree that Redwall is more well-known to be in the middle of Mossflower Wood rather than right on the edge of the Flatlands
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2006 10:31
Quote: "Actually Sunflash, the places in the Redwall universe change a bit with every book's map"

True, there are several instances of that, most of those came before the actual "Redwall Map" was manufactured, so it's sorta forgivable

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 02:09 Edited at: 31st Aug 2006 02:11
wow! a new thread!
man, you guys have been at this forever

good luck with it! can't wait to see your forest, that's a really hard effect to acheive.

i need to read those books again

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2006 08:20 Edited at: 1st Sep 2006 08:23
Quote: "good luck with it! can't wait to see your forest, that's a really hard effect to acheive."

Ok, so maybe it's not a completely thick vegetated forest, but I got it to be pretty close, eh? *thanks Agent Dink for lensflare*

Sorry, don't mean to steal your thread Daris!

Uncle Sam
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2006 15:30 Edited at: 1st Sep 2006 15:37
Ok, I know it's really hard to make a forest decent without using
massive amounts of polygons and thus killing your framerate, but
i'm going to tell you the problems i see anyway (even if this
isn't the final version maybe it'll help when you do it)

A) The ground is colored for fall, but the trees all have their
green leaves on them... gives it a interesting twisted desert
forest look but not sure if that's what you want for redwall

B) If you changed the color of the ground it might be possible to
throw some thick undergrowth in there to make it look thicker
without adding any trees (just like, a couple plains angled
different directions to produce a bush maybe) but if you put them
in right now they'd look even more out of place then the trees.
of course, you might need it to be sparse so the players have
room to do operate, but i would still change the ground color...

C) Maybe when you're in the forest do some cheapo backdrop thing,
where the bottom of the sky looks like forest (not too much
thicker than the real thing or it will look out of place) so the
forest can look like it goes on even though you aren't using more
trees...

D) Or you could use a LOD system where the trees far away
are just billboards and the close up ones aren't...

An interesting idea would be to throw a stream in the forest later on... (for ze otters?)

Anyway, the trees themselves look nice
[edit] oh, and the sun is really cool too, maybe tone down it's brightness a little for the forest,
but if ya'll go into the dunes/desert then it would be really cool.

--Peter

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2006 06:27
Peter, I don't think that screenshot posted by Uncle Sam is meant to be a relection o fthe progress made on the Redwall game. I think, from what he wrote, it is his own personal creation.

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2006 05:35 Edited at: 16th Sep 2006 19:07
Wow. It's been a long time since i last posted...

@ UncleSam: Wow! Is there some way i could get a hold of Agent Dink's lenseflare too? That's really nice, i have a couple ideas of how to do it, but the one you used might be better. And, no I'm not really upset, but if you ever post a screenie again, make sure to note that it is not my project, aparently that has caused some confusion, lol.

@ _Peter: Heh, already implemented basically everything you've mentioned Peter, but thanks!

Here's the newest screenie... I've gotten the frame rate balancing out between 67 and the upper 90's, and that's without avoiding trees, (pointing the cam up at the sky spikes it to about 180 fps)

I'm trying to keep enough frame rate space for it to rest at ~30-ish once everything is there. Of course there won't be as many trees around or near major landmarks like the Abbey itself and the interior there of, so these current tests reflect raw forest areas.

And yes, I'm also going to rebuild the tree models so that they will be different. I'm also planning on having rocks, bushes and tons of other stuff cluttering the ground. Plus Water effects similar but better than those I developed last year that can be found on the old thread. At the same time I will also be adding in real terrains to replace those textured boxes.

We are also still in need of a character modeller. Email either me (darisxaio@gmail.com) or Alex (odyssey@gmail.com) if you're interested. Keep in mind that when this is completed all those involved will really get their names out there. We've got some of the biggest Redwall Fan sites interested, and something this big would look great on a resume!

And finally here's the new screenie, frame rate reporting incorrectly ofcourse, but anyhoo, I am also still working on cleaning this up, and i've got a good idea about how to make the textured cylinders in the back look better. Rather than taxturing them with trees packed together like "TTTTTTTTTTTTTT" I'm going to try several layers with spacing between : "T TT T T TT TT T T" so that it doesn't look so much like a wall.

Attachments

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2006 17:21
Awesome! I can't wait till the next update, this just keeps getting beter and beter

Zergei
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2006 18:16
I think that forest have bigger trees. Also you could play around with the fog to give a better effect on the far plains simulating trees.
Try covering more of the ceiling, and make, on the floor, the shadows of the leaves. This just a suggestion, and i have in mind that you will add theese once you've got satisfied enough with it's look.

Here's some reference image i found...

Further on my stuff at...
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2006 01:25
Zergei, that what they should be going for great refernce mate.

@Benjy, i might be able to model a few characters. You can see my pirate thread in the 3d forum...about a page back. That took 2 days till full completion.

Once I finish my 4 week contract(2 weeks left) I'l model something for you if youd like. Email me at zac[dot]duff[at]gmail[dot]com

Regards,
greenlig

RadiusOFT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2006 08:33 Edited at: 8th Sep 2006 08:38
Hey have you made a Abbey model yet? because i made one for ya'!!
its not textured but i can do that later if you want me to, unless you already did an abbey model. No worries though this only took my about an hour so i dont really care what becomes of it.
oh and the inside isnt very detailed cause i was thinking that this would be just an exterior, like you would walk up to the door and then it would load a separate area that would be the interior of the abbey (kinda like eq2).

[img][/img]

Do or do not... there is no try -yoda
cats fit best in a george forman - not yoda

Attachments

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 18:41 Edited at: 16th Sep 2006 19:33
Oh-Me-Gosh! lol.

Anyways, Yes. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is absolutely beautiful. And Coincidentally I have been working on spreading them out more and such. I probably won't be putting canopy shadows in until I find a fast shader effect, but that's definitely been on my mind!

@RadiusOFT : Have you seen TES4: Oblivion? The environments operate the way you described, with the interior being a different section than the exterior. But the walls are very detailed, high poly's and big textures. I'm probably going to end up using 3D World Studio to put the building itself together. And Rather than cutting doors and windows into the walls, They are going to be attached to them... It's kind hard to explain, but I have no doubt it will look excellent when I finally get to it. The whole door operating thing will work the way it did in my Puzzle Game remake that i never entered... It was a DR. Brain remake called the Mansion of Professor Migraine. The only thing I ever got done before dropping it was I learned a bit about Neuclear Glory and wrote a simple in-doors engine which simply loaded the next area when you stood next to a door and opened it. the doors were placed using a text file with the cooridinates and angles programmed into them, plus the world-area-name for the folder in which the files for the area that door leads to. Rather simple really but it worked great so I'm using the same concept in the Redwall Game too.

Anyways, I've got a up video now, complete with background music, no ambient forest sounds yet, but their also on my mind. i'd also like to add in little things like butterflies and such to add more color and realism... Anyhoo.

I'm also going to finally try and make the trees fade in rather than clicking so much, as You will see in the video, I'm hoping it won't slow things down too much if at all, but we'll see!

The video is actually running a lot slower than the actualy program. The www.Fraps.com game recording program forces it to 30FPS so I guess this is really the speed the finaly thing is going for then, eh? Personally i don't see why some people hate 30fps... it not that slow. less than 30 can be a bit hard to play, but seriously, half the games out there run between 60 and 30 at full preformance. Console games anyways. but whateva.

As far as our team goes, we've picked up an excellent concept artist. (some of the best Redwall Art I've ever seen!!!) And a modeller who's also got mad skills.

Anyhoo here's the video, and I'll try to get a ton done and be back on as soon as possible!

Attachments

RadiusOFT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 23:59
where did you get the amazing music?

Do or do not... there is no try -yoda
cats fit best in a george forman - not yoda
tiny
Years of Service
User Offline
HOLY crap! that was good..
Good luck with the whole thing!
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2006 03:49 Edited at: 18th Sep 2006 03:56
Awesome, just downloading the video now, I broke my leg fencing two days ago, so I have plenty of time to watch this thread!
I can't wait to see some of the work from the concept artist and modeler you found!

EDIT: Woah! That was sweet, awesome music! And yeah, I agree, if you can get the trees to fade in, it would look WAY better! Also, I'm not sure if you have this planned, but I've been testing around with trees, and as long as the textures don't get streached and the poly count dosn't cut the frame rate, then big tall trees look the best. Of course, if you use big trees, then you have to have a lot of them, making it look more like a forest... but anyways, you know whats best

I was once working on a Redwall game, (everyone but me quit without saying anything:-( ) I compiled a list of like, 50 things that a Redwall game needs to be more realistic and resemble the world of Redwall, I'll try to find it, but Idoubt you need it. You seem to have a way of making things come to life
-Sunflash

tdc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2006 07:03
Radius - the music is "Ibelin", composed by Harry Gregson Williams for the Kingdom of Heaven movie soundtrack. And yeah, that's the same Harry Gregson Williams who wrote the main parts of the score for Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 I'm a bit of a soundtrack nut.
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2006 22:45
Lol, I just came on to ask about that tdc, I need some good music for a little minigame I plan to give to the Redwall fan game called Vulpine Imperium (www.rovl.org/vi)

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 01:22
Yeah... Ibelin and the Shadow of Collossus Music currently being used in the game will likely be replaced by Bear Crazy Donut Productions, and maybe some stuff my brother has been working on lately. Odd, he writes pop music for a couple years then decides he wants to do game music... he's pretty good though! He threw some stuff together last night and wow... I thought there were hidden tracks on TES4blivion, lol.

Anyways, We've got a couple weapons already and conept art and models in the making, it shouldn't be too long 'til I've got the character walking in the environment! Then I get to figure out how to store items, control the menu system, talking, AI, Battle system, and Build the Abbey room-by-room. I'm using the Official Redwall Abbey Model for the basis, but I am going to change a couple things, they only put one table in the Great Hall!? Plus the wall should be longer, and the building smaller and they left out the graveyard and a few other things.

So yeah, Progress progresses as usual, hopefully there will be a bit of a boost soon, TTYL!

-- Benjy Wright

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 01:44
hey benjy,

I replied to your email, dont know if you got it or not...

RadiusOFT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 03:00
Sweet Sounds Awsome

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 03:48
When does the graveyard come in? It sounds familiar, but I can't think of what book talks about it.

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2006 05:55 Edited at: 11th Oct 2006 03:23
The grave yard is never specifically mentioned, but ofcourse it has to be there. Remember Mother Mellus? They burried her when she died, so ofcourse there's a graveyard. Don't worry, I'm not going to make it some kind of creepy thing, lol. I'll keep it Redwally.

Anyways, my dad's kicking me off so I can sleep, so I'l get video or screenies up next time.

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2006 18:22
Hmmm, I think there was a willow tree that they buried several creatures by the edge of the lake. Then they buried certain creatures by the gardens (I think Mo ther Mellus was that way).

Really, if somebeast liked the Orchard, when he/she died, they would burry them in the shad of an Orchard tree, when they liked the lake, they would burry them in the shade of a tree to watch the edge of the lake. Really, they burried people wherever they thought the dead wanted to be. But I think they made a makeshift graveyard in Redwall (the book) becuase of all the dead from Cluny's raids. But it kinda seems like at times they just buried their dead in the Saint Ninians grave yard.

cheeseman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2006 20:07
seriously... dont you think the abbey should be bigger.... it needs huge fair/parade grounds... plus bigger fair grounds could help with the final battle(unless the story involves hunting down the villian)you better have snakes,owls, and wildcats.
oh and are you using a book or making your own story.

i like redwall, videogames, and...CHEESE!!
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2006 22:33
Quote: "it needs huge fair/parade grounds"

I think it just needs to be expansive, large orchards, large lake, paths, gardens, the abbey itself. It was built for residence of all Mossflower and wondering trvelers, so it needs to be big

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2006 02:04
Lol I love this. I cant wait for this to get going. Seeing Benjy's last redwall game, i'm excited!! It should be nice. Any new screenshots? or anything for me to do yet?

Regards,
Greenlig

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2006 21:24 Edited at: 8th Oct 2006 19:30
@Greenlig: No! don't mention that here! Leave "A Redwall Adventure" out of this! That was 5 years ago! lol. j/k.

For anybody whose wondering... Greenlig's talking about my first game ever, an RPG called A.R.A. (A Redwall Adventure). That game was a disaster, but apparently he liked it. I wrote it in DB v1.06 the Demo from 2000-2001... I think. Remeber back when DarkBasic was about as powerful as a PSX? I was using a 300mhz P2 at the time... 8mb video, lol. Anyhoo, I then redid some of it in the 1.09 Demo. All in all I spent a year or so working on it, and there's a couple odd glitches because I didn't know anything back then, but here's the URL if anyone else want's to check it out. It's 3.58mb zipped, unzipped it's 80-something. Wish I knew what I compressed that with. lol.

http://www.geocities.com/benjywright/a_redwall_adventure.zip

I've fiqed some bugs and caused some more, lol, and here's what I did to the grass:

Attachments

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2006 21:35 Edited at: 8th Oct 2006 19:30
Here's the current concept for Redwall Abbey, based off of the model. The Wall will be much longer, I just kept it small so it was all visible on one screen.

I just bought 3D World Studio a couple days ago and it is just amazing! I'm still trying to learn some more about Nuclear Glory and 3DWS though, before actually putting the trees and the Terrain/Abbey together. I've got some odd aproaches I might try to placing stuff fast, if I think it will work. Anyhoo...

The grass Above is accomplished using a .png image with alpha mapping. I don't fully understand how to create them in Gimp, but I was able to blur an Oblivion Grass texture so it would be softer looking. They are semi transparent (alpha mapping) because the image is semi transparent, it causes some issues with the transparency (I found setting it to 2, worked the best.) but I used flat planes and forced them to face the camera so they wouldn't have glitchy edges due to overlapping each other, or whatever is causing it, not sure at this point.

OUr Concept Artists are at work putting together some character sheets for Greenlig and... dangit... can't remember his name... The guy we found on Deviant Art.

Anyways, it shouldn't be too much longer until we have a character, environment and trees all put together. Then there's AI, Battle, and tons of other stuff to program, lol.

EDIT: Me and Alex were discussing the story last night and it's sweet! And no I won't tell you anything to spoil it.

EDIT2: I'm also using TreeMagik or rather, concepts derived from tree magic to build new trees with more fluffs and more branches, screenies soon! (and by that I mean within two weeks, lol.)

Attachments

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2006 21:42 Edited at: 11th Oct 2006 03:26
Screenie of 3d World Studio and th perimeter wall, a bit more realistically sized (It'll still be bigger than this, different levels of detail to save the video cards, lol.) This was before I changed the texture color, and the texture is temporary anyways.

And Yes, the abbey grounds are going to be very large indeed. We've got to have a huge building with towers, dormitories, Great Hall, belltower, kitchens, cellars, Cavern Hole, and such. Plus the orchards, gardens, pond, random open spaces, paths, random trees hither-and-thither, small fields of crops, Gate House, and such.

And I'll be using my simple-trees-when-they're-far-away code on a lot of things now such as the walls.

Attachments

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2006 05:11
Looks VERY spiffy Benjy!!! I must say I am so very impressed by it. One thing with the grass screenshot however, the tree textures arent too good. Maybe going for a more stylised look to them? Have a look at this image http://www.fangorn.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/CharmaWow_web/Page_32/IMAG0003.JPG
You know it well no doubt The trees dont have so much noise on them.

Anyway just thoughts.

Looks great guys!!!

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2006 05:45
Awesome Benjy! After seeing these screenshots, I'm positive that this is going to be the best thing that has ever happened in Redwall history! Oh yeah, have you tried Treemagik G3 yet? The roots feature is nice, and I think it gives a bit better trees, but it seems like the customization levels are lower then in G2.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-14 15:00:55
Your offset time is: 2024-05-14 15:00:55