Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / DBPro, FPS with radar and GMAX

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2007 20:26
Here's my new Thread.

My dilemma stems from my misunderstandings of Blender, when building 3D objects for my FPS with radar in DBPro.

17thSky has contibuted to some of the graphical wizardry (some 3D objects). I plan on using some way to 'mine' space rocks to provide specific minerals for special weapons (but I want to test all of these things first).

Any help along these lines would be awesome. I'm compiling a Credits Page with Logos/Pics of contributors. Any help. Any suggestions.

I'm on my way to work and I'll stop in and check this, tonight. Drop me links or other threads (on this site) or tutorials for DBPro or texturing DBPro primitives. Anything, at this point, would be helpful.

I want to finish this game by 01-JUL-07. I really need a demo by this date. It's something I'm farming out to a publisher, and if this goes well -- who knows, maybe you'll see it on the shelves (or as a download somewhere!).

Anyone who contributes to making this game a reality: one free FULL VERSION. FREE UPDATES for the life of the TITLE. And your names/Aliases in the credits.

Thanks.

Rob Mussell (a.k.a. "Anitarquious I"
Founder: RPM2 Interactive, parent entity of:
RPM2 Games and Videopolis Games Corporation (VGC)
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2007 21:42
why the mention of GMAX in the title?

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2007 09:01
This is not the name of the game, but the name of this Thread. I'm just asking for a bit of assistance.

Thanks, H.L.

I don't want to give out the name until I get much of it done, and to be sure nothing else has the name I have chosen. Suffice it to say, that when I'm sure I can name this game, and that name isn't used for something else, I'll reveal the name. Until then, it's "R&S", "Rocks & Stuff".

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2007 09:27
It primarily uses 2 cameras: 0 is the player view; 1 is the overhead/radar view.

This is what I have right now. The green box is the display of the second camera (#1). I have a picture of two of the primitives and the radar. It's kind of big, but I hope it gets the idea across.

I converted the BMP to JPG for space constraints. No score and no player infos, yet. Again this is still a WIP.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2007 15:55 Edited at: 24th May 2007 15:55
You don't need a second camera for the radar. Even if you use a tiny output image you'll lose FPS needlessly.

In my Physics compo entry, I had a radar that mathematically plotted each unit's position in relation to the PCs, and placed them on the radar screen as a small red dot.

It's hard for me to say more, as your project doesn't look far enough along yet.

Come see the WIP!
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2007 19:13
I do lose some speed when this runs. All this WIP does is spin the player's ship clockwise and displays the images in FPS and from above in the little window.

The only reason I wanted to do a radar, was simply to see if it could be done. It can, but it does run slower when the items are closer to the player.

I want more than 30 objects on the screen, this does not include bonus items and the HUD. I figured I'd just pull together a couple of items for the HUD, hand-drawn, and some other items. I'd love to dump a background in it, one per level, but I want to see what I can do.

Please, any suggestions.

Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2007 20:27 Edited at: 24th May 2007 20:41
Hi, heres a simple radar code I made:

here's a more complex version:

[/center]
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2007 21:32
I checked it out and it looks good. Very fast!
I want to use a generic cone for a facing pointer in the radar. Would I change the final BOX in the loop (the one after the INK RGB(255,0,0),0) to a CONE and then ROTATE it? It looks like that's the way to go about it.

And I love the clear background of the radar. Just wish I could get it to scale a little smaller, though, but be able to see the items.

My Primary Notes:
+ Black background for the radar, meaning no BLACK objects.
+ Brown rocks of varying sizes.
+ RED, GREEN, BLUE - Power-Ups.
+ ORANGE, LIGHT BLUE, PINK or PURPLE blaster bullets, based on the Power-Ups.
+ CYAN, YELLOW, MAGENTA - Bonuses & Crystals.
? (How can I attach the camera to the player's ship, a GOLD CONE that's ROTATEd to the proper facing, and use this in the code, instead of the RED BOX?)

Thanks to Jack for this code. He's #2 for the FREE GAME! Can I use your Avatar Pic for the Credz? (Jack, altered the Multiplier ["SIZE_MULTIP# = 0.8" to "SIZE_MULTIP# = 0.4" and it fits better.)

Also, I'm running my WIP in 1400x1050x24 color screen. (Settings configured using DBPro menus.) I will drop it to 16 colors, but, what's the typical settings for FPS/RTS games nowadays? 1024x768 or something?

thebulk71
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2007 02:56
I don't wanna sound nasty but this is pure "gimme the code"... If you want to know about DBP then buy the book on thegamecreators index... people generally contribute by will, requesting is never really appreciated. voila...
Moondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2007 08:07
...so, you want people to give you models to use in yoru game...people to give you code for your game...and you want to give to a publisher for sale....and you offer peopsles free copy?

yoru a n idiot

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2007 16:59
Sorry, I was asking why you mentioned GMAX in the THREAD title then talking about a problem with blender. Wanted to know if there was actually a GMAX question (other than "can I use GMAX models in my game" to which the answer is No.)

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 17:49
To address TheBulk71 and Moondog:
The idea is to build the DEMO with the help from some of the members. I know GMAX can output to .X format! That's what I'm trying to use. (I already have 2 books FYI: "GMAX Bible" and "The GMAX Handbook".) The other idea is that I am offering to give free copies to anyone who assists me. I am not asking for any code. I am asking for methods in which I can translate into code! And, if I was an idiot, I'd at least try to spell "YOUR AN IDIOT" properly!

H.L.:
I guess I replied in the above paragraph. I apologize to you, H.L., for the way this seems to be going. There are some models I have created using GMAX, but in order for me to export them properly, I have to either create the GScript for the .X output or download it from somewhere. The ones I get from GMAX initially work, but are NOT able to be textured (in GMAX they are, in DBPro they are not). I can't apply textures in DBPro, either. Any suggestions?

Rob Mussell ( a.k.a. "Anitarquious I" )
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 18:06
It is illegal to use GMAX for making models to any other engine or games than what it says on licence.. Its only made for modding for Hl2 and etc games.. And Dark Basic isnt on the license so u really cant use it..

[B] - LINKIN PARK - [/B]
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2007 06:14
Blender can be used. It's free. It makes 3D models (with the user's help).

GMAX can be used. It's free. It makes 3D models (with the user's help).

Given the license of both of these AWESOME packages, how is it illegal to export a model into the DX format? You have put your heart into a model, tweaked the meshes, welded together the faces that weren't joined, and worked for weeks getting the model to look like the drawing, and then being told by anyone that I can't use my model because of a licensing agreement!?

Blender has it's OWN 3D ENGINE for games. GMAX, if you download the ModPacks for Q3A or DOOM3 or whatever, you're forcing yourself into that ONE ot TWO cool games, that have their OWN ENGINES, that you can export to.

I'm using an UNMODIFIED GMAX 1.2! Nothing in the license says I can't model my own stuff for whatever purpose I deem fit.

I can't, given your statement, FMC, use GMAX to model in Blender's 3D Game Engine...

Why, in the interest of all that is good in the world of coding (even DBPro) would a multi-million dollar(US) corporation like DISCREET, who is no longer supporting GMAX, allowing anyone to use GMAX for their own purposes?

Please, FMC, enlighten me. Am I wrong for the sake of being wrong, or am I facing a moral dilemma with the use of GMAX in my FPS?

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2007 08:26
As long as the games company has paid for the licence your ok to use GMAX.
http://www.turbosquid.com/Forum/Index.cfm/stgAct/PostList/intThreadID/8525

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2007 18:18
GMAX was designed for the modding community, to make new models for games that paid to use the GMAX license. It has since been cancelled since people were finding ways to export those models into other games and ignoring the EUL.

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2007 07:31
Thanks, HL. I knew GMAX had been dropped by DISCREET because of the Modding Community (of which I am a registered GMAX user).

EULAs typically allow users and developers to divert or alter the app/prog into new and better forms, on average. Too many people seem to think any prog with an EULA gives them the right to muck around in it and upload inferior versions of it's parent to the internet. (I know plenty about this so-called OpenSource EULA crap from the Macintosh community.)

Anyway, I've decided to self-publish! This gives me much more flexibility in the decisions that affect my development and to be more effectively creative. I hope this clarifies the problem...

----------------------------------------------------------
To Recap the Free "Rocks & Stuff" Registered Game Giveaway
----------------------------------------------------------
1) 17thSky
2) Hobgoblin Lord
3) Cash Curtis II
4) Jack
5) Indi

revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 12:54 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2007 01:24
here's a radar system that can be scaled, and behaves a little more like you'd expect one to:

let me know what you think. if you have any questions, just ask.

edit:
well I decided to further modify the code above, it fixes a bit of the jitters when you get close to an object. the blips are color coded to match the target, and now scale according to the radar scale.

The really only bug comes from the way the distance is checked combined with the sin()/cos(). since the distance is combined (distX+distZ) to place the blip, it isn't really proportional to the actual distX/distZ. for instance, if distX>distZ, the blip's Xdistance and Zdistance (from center) are still equal, because the combined distance is the radius that positions the point in respect to the player.

here it is:

what do you think?
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2007 07:23
Sorry, I've been away at (online) school and it's taking a lot of time out of my coding and forum-sniffing schedule.
I like this version of the radar, but there is a little weirdness in the 'blip' distances (as you've mentioned, RC).

Inventive.

I'm trying to run this game in 1400x1050x24 resolution as an FPS.
I'm not trying to One-Up the assists here, but I'd like to be able to scale this into a size no larger than 10% of the actual size of the screen (if it can be done!).
Any larger, it would interfere with the other on-screen stuff, possibly. Can the radar be built into a sprite?

Ideas? Suggestions?

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2007 07:30
Or maybe the resolution doesn't matter, as long as it plays well and is FUN.

Which are the best resolutions to run games in with Windows? With larger screens, LCD and Plasma widescreens, can I truly build a game that runs in an HD resolution?

I work for a discount retail department store chain that has an extensive smattering of mid-range and lower-end HDTVs. Many of the larger sized ones can run in 1080p, most of the rest can manage 720p or 1080i. So there's my other dilemma: Should I just go for the typcial PC resolution (1024x768x24) or go with something larger (1366x1080x24) that my computer can't handle (but can be switched to in a menu)?

revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2007 17:06 Edited at: 7th Jun 2007 17:09
i think that 1024*768(*32 not *24) is plenty. but honestly, i'd worry about that once you have a working demo, the higher resolution, the higher the cpu cost. As right now, the average person doesn't even have a graphics card that can handle shaders (let alone high-def monitors), but as you said, if that were to be an option on a menu, the gpu dilemma would be solely in the hands of the consumer. I have no clue how dbpro would perform in high-definition, but i guess it's worth a shot. remember what you said:
Quote: "Or maybe the resolution doesn't matter, as long as it plays well and is FUN."

and that is a timeless truth. what it looks like is more of a afterthought, after you are sure that the game runs smoothly, efficiently, and is bug-free.

I suppose the radar could be drawn to a bitmap, then printed as a sprite, but that would slow the whole thing down a bit. I'm not quite sure of what you mean by "the actual screen size", but I've modified the code so it automatically scales the radar to about 1/10 if the screen width (in pixels). if you want it to be 1/10 of your monitor screen size, let me know and ill see what i can do. I've also converted the thing into functions.

Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "spell "YOUR AN IDIOT" properly!
"

Ha, "YOUR" lol. Maybe... You're?

Anyway, can we see a video of your progress? How do you plan on manipulating the geometry in real time? That is a difficult thing you are trying to do...
Quote: " using some way to 'mine' space rocks"

It sounds as though you have bitten off more than you can chew. Your dedline is very short, I know I certainly could not do this project in a few months, and considering your joining date, it seems that you have taken on a lot!

All I can say is good luck. I do mean good luck, and you have my full respect for trying.

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2007 08:19
RC- Thanks. I needed that info. I did take a look at the 'radar' and I think this may work for me.

Julius- I believe I may have extended myself more than I can handle, given my exceptionally short deadline. I have altered the deadline-- Q4 2008.

Once I get more of the stuff working and compile a short video, maybe I can get more done.

I have just gotten back into school. My time is limited for development, but I'm checking back weekly for feedback. Thanks again.

The "mine space rocks" was something that the arcade game "SINISTAR" allowed you to do to collect SINI-BOMBS to help destroy SINISTAR. The minerals are to boost your Shield Energy, allowing longer shield use. Integral to later levels of the game...

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2007 08:37
RC- Radar is awesome. Bumped the resolution up to 1400x1050x32 and it runs faster and a bit more smoothly. I scaled the Radar out by ONCE and it reveals tiny diamonds (I know they're circles...). Now I'll try to move it to another location and get it to still work...

Thanks again. My minerals are only revealed from rocks, when they're blown up and about 10% of the time. Multiple mineral chunks can appear, but this happens: 5+ = 5%, 3-4 = 10%, 2 = 20%, 1 = 65% of the time.

Using this demo of the Radar, I'm going to try to tweak this into a little more. Hopefully, I can and it'll look good.

revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2007 16:19 Edited at: 14th Jun 2007 16:22
Thanks Antiquious. what do you mean by
Quote: "Now I'll try to move it to another location and get it to still work"

Have you found a bug? Or do you mean just moving the code to your project. I've once again modified the code, so now it has a "Radarseed" variable. that is just the number of the first object that should be checked for by the radar, instead of starting at object 1. Something you probably could have done, but i know it's sometimes frustrating to modify someone else's code, as everybody has their own style.

Woah, 1400x1050! I wish my monitor could handle that. But anyway, the game sounds cool. Am I on the list for the "the Free "Rocks & Stuff" Registered Game Giveaway"?
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2007 20:41
RC- No bugs. Runs great. Just want to relocate the radar on the player hud. And, YOU are in the LIST!

Thanks.
NOTE: That's my laptop's LCD resolution!

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2007 18:09
The list keeps growing...
I know this project is going to be daunting!

I altered the code, RC, to display SPHEREs instead of BOXs. It works, but I now have bubbles all over the place. I even altered the number of items that it displays-- 1000! It's still DAMN fast, with the Mouse Look you implemented!

One question though, can you texture half of the items, and give the others one of six (6) colors: Red, Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow?

I'm planning on trying to implement this change, myself, and drop this into the code. Also, I'd like to be able to alter the sizes of the SPHEREs, for the random test.

I'm also planning to move the radar to the bottom-center of the screen, and display these there. The lower third will be the HUD, with a border around it. I have two bars, ShieldEnergy and HullIntegrity on the right side. I have SCORE, SmBombs, XSMissiles, and Lives on the left side. In the center, the Radar, the RocksRemaining, Containers...

I've enclosed a smallish picture that illustrates what I'm doing. Also, the background must be black (or a cylindrical backdrop used fo the levels). Black for this demo.

Attachments

revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2007 23:02
Quote: "One question though, can you texture half of the items, and give the others one of six (6) colors: Red, Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow?"

If I were you, (and I'm sure theres probably a better way of doing this), I would set up an array (#ofColors,3) containing the RGB data for each of the colors, then rnd() to pick from the array randomly.

If the object is texured, I would set up a couple of FOR loops, to read the pixel data for every tenth pixel or so, then average the numbers and use that for my radar blip color. to randomize the spheres, use the color picker code above, but write it like:

I didn't want to just post the code because you want to give it a crack, let me know how it goes.
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2007 09:35
RC- That's what I was thinking with the 6 RND colors.

The textured blips would be an off color or ORANGE, PURPLE, TAN or something that would make them stand out as being OTHER THAN anything else.

This way, I wouldn't have to average the pixels and try to shade that in... (I was thinking about the pixel color average, too.)

I still think I can color the BLIPS for the Alien Ships in certain colors, the Rocks in TAN, the Scrap in ORANGE, and the Minerals in GRAY or WHITE. (Or maybe some other light color?)

What color would you suggest about the Minerals. NOTE: Minerals are actually multiples of ONE (1) Mineral, but floating around the screen.

revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2007 23:43
yeah, averaging the pixel colors would slow loading time quite a bit, unless you averaged them once, and saved it into a level-specific array.

well, in command and conquer the tiberium was a fluorescent green. that made it stick out pretty well because not too many natural things worthy of a blip were green, but really any bright colors that signify that it's something that the player wants.

mabey light all most pastel colors for things that are good (minerals, health etc..), and slightly darker but just as eye catching (red/yellow are great) for enemies. what ever color scheme you choose, make sure that the colors are different enough that they are immediately recognized, and that they are colors that dont often appear in the background in that particular shade, the transparent background is kind of a double edged sword.

you could use different shades (of what ever colors) to signify how much of a threat/how beneficial the object is to the player.
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2007 17:02
... Working on a few things. Trying out a couple of options and seeing if I can get some stuff to work.

Hopefully it'll all come together.

Thanks, RC. Yeah, C&C-TW was a great game. Their radar was cool, too. It did have that going for it! And I will use pastel colors for various things. I'll just have to implelment them.

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2007 17:03
... implement them. (Sorry, early morning with fat fingers.)

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2007 09:21
I've implemented the radar, R.C. It works, but I'm finding it difficult to reposition it to the bottom-center of the screen.

The other item on my agenda is a WorldBox. What are the necessities of placing one around my little 'world'? The 'world' is the 'radar area'. The problem is that I want approximately 1000 pixel radius, and to be able to 'warp' to the other side as an indefinite feature. (Like in "Asteroids".)

Any suggestions...

revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2007 11:09
to reposition the radar, just define 2 global variables (howfarright, and howfardown or something), so they can be passed to the function.
Then in any radar drawing line of code, add the +howfarright at the end of every x coordinate, and add the +howfardown at the end of every y coordinate. then once it is properly positioned, write down the coords and replace the global variables with them. I have a working demo if you want to see it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "WorldBox". Do you mean skybox? i've made a few asteroids like games, but I'm unfamiliar with the term. mabey I've been calling something else by the wrong name... try to describe what you mean and I'll see if I can help.
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 18:14
R.C.
Thanks! Okay, here's the gist: According to the TGC website, I've found some downloadable WorldBox packs. (They're $9.99 each and something like $40 for the whole set of 10 Packs.) That's what TGC calls them.

Let's call it something else then. The BackCyl, like in the old arcade game 'BattleZone', with the animated volcano in the background that you can never get to. This wrapped wallpaper was just for show and enhanced the game ever so much. This is the kind of thing I wanted to do, but not so much having it animated, but just a stock outerspace image of a planet some rocks and a space station.

This BackCyl is the thing I want to use to help depict the different levels. Can anyone point me in the direction of implementing this?

revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2007 10:55 Edited at: 1st Jul 2007 10:55
I think you might be talking about the skyMATTER packs. if you are, go here http://skymatter.thegamecreators.com/?f=sample and download this sample. then use the code:

scale the object to whatever size your game calls for, and position it at your players position every cycle.

If you aren't talking about the skymatter packs, can you post a link to the packs you are talking about.
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 17:15
Can't get it to work. I placed the code into my project and tried it.
It loads, but doesn't seems to load a 3D object. "Runtime Error 7018 - Could not load 3D object at line 138"

What am I doing wrong? What number do I use for the object? Any ideas?

revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2007 03:06
here is a small demo I put together for you. The object number doesn't matter.

Attachments

Twisted Steel Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2007 03:14
May I ask... what's with the odd (I say odd as I've never heard of them) screen resolutions? 1400x1050 is one I've never heard of.. but 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1088x612, 1152x864, and 1600x1200 sound a lot more common. By the way, I have a nVidia GeForce 6800 and a 19" monitor..

-Jim
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2007 09:07
Thanks RC. I'll take a look...

For ShinyEdge:
I have a Compal CY25 laptop with a Pentium M4 running about 2Ghz. The chipset is based on the SIS 650.

Since the computer is manufactured overseas, it might reflect what their userbase would request. Although this 15" LCD monitor is part of my laptop, I'ts got better resolution than the Sceptre X7 17" I have for my XBOX 360!

The screen runs in all of the other resolutions, but nothing above 1400x1050. It seems to be a native resolution.

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2007 09:34
Tried and it wont load the 3D object. I'm off to bed. I'll have another look tomorrow.

Twisted Steel Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2007 15:59
Hmm... that's odd. Maybe that's the standard from where the PC came from.. but the ones I listed are more US.
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2007 17:18
I love the resolution. I show it off to people all the time and they're typically impressed.

I also use POV-Ray 3.6 for Windows to build various scenes... But that's something else.

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2007 20:24
Can anyone point me in the proper direction with animation and 3D object creation with Blender? A hands-on tutorial would be preferred.

Also, I've just purchased the Blender GameKit from their website as an e-book download. It's $9.54 US (8 Euros).

Thanks.

revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 09:24
thats weird, the sample works perfectly on my machine. for some reason DBP sometimes get screwed up and many people have resolved errors by either updating, or completely reinstalling. or you could try remarking out different lines to single out the problem code.
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 18:47
Quick Note, RC:
I tried and retried this snippet and it wont run.

I keep getting an error in line 13: File cannot be found.

Here's the code, and the full pathname of the file!

Am I doing something wrong? Have I typed something incorrectly in the pathname?
Please help.

revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2007 10:02
I think the problem is with the
part. where you specify the path to the file, theres no actual name of the file at the end. it should be something like:
or something.

Have you let DBpro create a .dbpro (project) file for the .dba file? if not, I've had trouble with finding files without one. Once you have a project file for your .dba file, allways open your work by clicking on the .dbpro file.

Also there is no need to write out the whole path as long as the skybox model is within the project's folder.
if you write out the whole path to the file, and someone else installs the finished product, they would have to install the program in the exact same place as your project is or it wouldn't run. so just put the model into a folder named whatever you like, for instance "SKY", and put that folder in the same folder as your .dbpro file. then when you load the file, write it like:

or
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2007 20:24
There's no "pos_x.x"... There's only "pos_x.bmp".
There are no .x objects in the download sampler.

I used a SPHERE to place the .bmp, but it gives me a black screen.
Here's the code.

Have I done something wrong? How do I translate the SPHERE to the player's position?

revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2007 22:14
I was talking about the demo that I posted. reguardless, the code you posted wont work for a few reasons.

1)in the line
, you are just specifying a path to a folder. you say it is pos_x.bmp, then you need to write .bmp at the end or dbpro cant possibly know you want to open a file. all files have a file extension, otherwise, they're considered to be a folder.

2) in the line
, assuming you added the file extension to problem #1, you are telling it to open a bitmap as an object. models have the file extensions .X, .3ds, .Dbo, .md2 and so on.

so you need to first change problem #1's line to something like this:
. Second you cant just use a dbpro primitive cube, because you can't texture the sides of the cube differently. Have you tried the demo I posted? that should explain every problem youv'e posted on the matter. just re-use the skybox2.x model and rename your textures that you want to use, to the names of the files in the demo.

Quote: "Have I done something wrong? How do I translate the SPHERE to the player's position?"
where in your last post's code does it mention any sphere? all I see is a cube. I need to know if you tried the demo I posted, not the sample TGC.
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2007 08:40
Yes, RC, I tried your 'skybox' demo. It wont work.
It gives me an error about not finding the file.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-29 08:49:06
Your offset time is: 2024-05-29 08:49:06