Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / FPI Translator

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2007 13:25 Edited at: 10th Dec 2007 02:25
Would something like this be of interest? I wrote it so that I could understand what was going on better but maybe others would find it useful. It's not finished yet but hopefully by day's end it will be.

It turns this:

Into this:

It can use a lot of things to improve it, I know. I just wanted to know if it would be useful so that I could make it better and upload it. I'd need some help from the community on some of the actions and conditions explanations.

Edit: You can now download it on this thread here.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=116411&b=24

I straddle the line between genius and insanity. Guess which side I'm on now?
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2007 14:53
That would be great! It would definitely help a lot of people understand scripting a lot better (including me). Certainly looking forward to this.

"he is coming!..." - WIP in 'Showcase'
Dr Parsnips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2007 14:57
yeah that would be an awsome progrma to have! bring it on!

HMMMMMMM
5dollar Love You Loooong Time
Years of Service
User Offline
Thats cool!
Doctor Who
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2007 20:08
In that case, I'll make it into something more user friendly and continue scripting the rest of the commands.

I'll keep you informed on the progress.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2007 23:08
Doctor Who,

Very good idea, indeed! This will get a great deal of use from many in the community.

Thanks,

Seth Black

Own It, Or Get Owned...
Doctor Who
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2007 01:24
I'm close to getting all the keywords in place but some of the instructions in the manual don't make sense with the .fpi scripts which I'm sure we all know. So I'm looking up everything I can find and following what is happening so that I can be more accurate.

Once I get all the keywords encoded I'll start on the bells and whistles which shouldn't take as long. I'm going to try to get this out by week's end for everyone.

Seth Black:
Quote: "Very good idea, indeed! This will get a great deal of use from many in the community."

I'm glad to hear it.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2007 07:27
Very good idea!!! I agree with everyone! Go for it!

Just one thing, though.

When you say "We'll start at frame 0" for the action "setframe=0"... it actually sets the animation to the beginning frame of animation #0.

That's why "incframe" and "decframe" are both using "=0", because they are referencing animation #0.

Looks like you got it right for the conditions, though. Lol

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Doctor Who
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2007 00:35
I figured that out a little later, PlystirE. LOL!!! I forget which script I came across in testing but realized what it actually did. It's already corrected.

Anyway, the commands and actions (I think anyway... I need to go over them once more) are done. All that is left is to build a simple to use interface.

Thanks for your support. I'm just glad to give something useful for all the models and scripts I've downloaded and tips that I've read. I use the search capability a lot.

Keeping you updated,

Doctor Who.

NBKgames
Years of Service
User Offline
Dude, this is PERFECT for me
I'm currently learning to script with tuts, but I think this would help me a lot more and actually help me create scripts better.
Keep it up!

Doctor Who
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2007 01:56
Almost done. I have tomorrow off so I plan to try and finish the first version. I have ideas for a second one but this will get us all started.

NBKgames:
Quote: "Dude, this is PERFECT for me
I'm currently learning to script with tuts, but I think this would help me a lot more and actually help me create scripts better.
Keep it up!"

I will. Thanks for your interest.

Doctor Who
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 00:44
An update:

Sorry everyone. I had not been feeling well so I didn't get back to this until this evening. I wanted you all to know that all commands and conditions are in place and I'm working on the interface now.

I've seen things that I can improve and some commands puzzle me a little but I'm sure the user community will be able to point these things out. Consider this a version 1.0. I've got ideas about putting in a debugger with state watching, check boxes to activate and so-on so that you can see what the script is doing.

For now, let me get the interface done and uploaded.

Thanks everyone for your interest.

halospree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 01:41 Edited at: 11th Nov 2007 01:44
Sorry about the double post guys

If you wish to help me on my upcoming game, then you can go to our website; www.freewebs.com/callofreedom or you may send me an e-mail at vincentcody@hotmail.com
halospree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 01:42
This is an amazing idea Doctor Who! I can't wait to try and use it, an dit would be very useful, as im learning the FPI language, and this can really help! Great Idea!

Halospree

If you wish to help me on my upcoming game, then you can go to our website; www.freewebs.com/callofreedom or you may send me an e-mail at vincentcody@hotmail.com
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 16:42
this would be a small breakthrough in newb scripting tutorials

You can tell i'm an old-school gamer, right?
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 18:01
Stop gloating Doctor Who and show us already!

Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 20:39
...chill. Good things take time. He'll reveal it when he's ready.

Own It, Or Get Owned...
Doctor Who
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 22:26 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2007 03:33
I'm ready.

This is version 1.0. I won't promise a lot yet. I do want to put in other things as I've said earlier. For now, this is a start and I'll be making improvements. After all, I am also working on a game so it's off and on.

Enjoy!

Edit: The first post has a picture for the download so rather than rewrite that I'll post the download here and modify that.

By the way, I call it "X-Plain".

Edit: I've uploaded a newer version. We are now at 1.01. The description is posted later. I'll eventually get all this into one concise post hopefully.

Edit again: - December 2, 2007 - I've updated the program and added it to the bottom of the thread and removed the old one on this message.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 22:46
This is great! Now we can see what the conditions / actions actually mean, well done!

Doctor Who
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2007 00:19
Thank you, Nickydude. I'll eventually get the copy and paste stuff in the edit menu and a print button hopefully soon.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2007 01:06
Is it possible you could resize the text window when the main window is resized? I use a resolution of 1028x1024 so I can resize to see more.

Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2007 19:55
Doctor Who,

That is a great program!

IMHO, you should evolve this tool, approach TGC and see about getting it intergrated into the FPSC install...and getting some coin in your pocket.

Can't wait to see how far you take it!

Thanks,

Seth Black

Own It, Or Get Owned...
m man
Years of Service
User Offline
this is awesome, it is simple to use to
Doctor Who
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2007 01:25
Nickydude: Yes, I had planned on that and it was one of those things where I could do this and that and it would be pushed off for another week or so. So I figured I'd get this much out and do a little work to improve it throughout the week. This way, it would help and soon help even more.

Seth Black: Do you really think there would be a chance? I'd be honored if it would make it. I'll write them an e-mail this evening and see.

M Man: I'm glad you like it. Wait until you see version 2.0... or 1.1 Pro, or something. Anyway, wait until you see what I've got planned for this little utility.

JoeSan
Years of Service
User Offline
Well Doctor Who, that is a real breakthough for the fpi scripts. Some scripts are easy to follow but in case of doubts your interpreter helps a lot. GOOD JOB
olliday
Years of Service
User Offline
This is a great program, this will help me a lot, thanks. Good luck in the next version(s).
BTW, What's a ".tran" file?
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2007 17:32 Edited at: 13th Nov 2007 17:36
Quote: "Do you really think there would be a chance? I'd be honored if it would make it. I'll write them an e-mail this evening and see."

...absolutely. This is what is sorely needed, especially for noobies. Scripting instruction has always been vague in the manual, and randomly sparce on these boards. Oh how different EA would've been if your translator would've existed.

I would refine it, into its final form, and approach TGC. You used DB to code it, yes? Keep that code to yourself. It's gold.

Thanks,

Seth Black

Own It, Or Get Owned...
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2007 18:55
This should have been built into FPSC, that would have made scripting a whole lot easier!

Doctor Who
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2007 01:03
Actually, Seth Black, I used PureBasic for the code. Originally it was just a command line interpreter when I first asked if it would be something useful. I could translate it though. I know how to program in DB Pro although my version is most likely out of date.

Quote: "Keep that code to yourself. It's gold."

I'll take your advice. Thanks!

Quote: "BTW, What's a ".tran" file?"

Olliday, I didn't know what to call it so I used .tran for translated. I may change that later, I just didn't know what to use. But it is a straight text file and I guess I could have used .txt but I've got in mind to hold put in advanced features later and it may make it less text. I'd make an export though for it though so it could be easily printed.

Quote: "Some scripts are easy to follow but in case of doubts your interpreter helps a lot. GOOD JOB"

Joesan, considering I'm a newbie, I needed it.

Nickydude, with any luck maybe we'll have it as an add-on in the next package, if Lee and company accept it which I hope. In any case, it's a work in progress.
Quote: "Is it possible you could resize the text window when the main window is resized?"

Oh, I got the editor resizing working with the window now. Let me get a few things wrapped up and I'll get an updated version for everyone.

The Doctor

Meddo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2007 03:31
Realy nice program, very usefull.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2007 18:47
you know, with fighting the daleks and saving mankinds sorry rear end i'm surprised you find the time to make such an ace program!

You can tell i'm an old-school gamer, right?
Doctor Who
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2007 01:17
Ah well, with my sonic screwdriver in one hand and a blond in the other... actually, where do I find the time? (Coming back from my daydream...) Oh yeah right, I'm a divorced computer programmer in real life who's addicted to coffee.

I'm about to release a version 1.01 which has bug fixes, export to text, printing, editor resize, copy to clipboard, and color quotes now. My next step will be to add a preference dialog so that colors and other things can be changed.

I'll keep you informed as most likely this will go out either Saturday or Sunday.

The Doctor

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2007 07:03
Wow, this is a fantastic program! Thank you very much!

foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
It would be usefull if it had two boxes - the plain code and the translated code. You can edit the plain code yourself then press a button and it translates it in the tranlated code box. =]

FPSC World
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2007 13:35
great program.can you upload source of program?maybe who developed it.

FPS Creator is My World
Doctor Who
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2007 18:28 Edited at: 17th Nov 2007 18:32
Quote: "It would be usefull if it had two boxes - the plain code and the translated code. You can edit the plain code yourself then press a button and it translates it in the tranlated code box. =]
"

Foxking: I've thought about that and probably will for version 2. I'm actually thinking of several things I can do to this. I'm always open for suggestions because I'm sure there are things I've not thought of before.

Quote: "great program.can you upload source of program?maybe who developed it.
"

I developed it, FPSC World. And with the comments of one Seth Black (thanks for the tip Seth) I'll post the quote here:
Quote: "Keep that code to yourself. It's gold."

By the way, version 1.01 is almost done. I'm having a little trouble with the print routine but otherwise it's checking out nicely.

The Doctor - Randy

foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
The doctors real name is randy???

anyway - cant wait for it to be released - maybe you could make an addon that allows you to script it with if statements and then convert it to the fpsc scripting language?

I'd spent about $10 for a prog that could do that - make people used to c++, vb6 and quickbasic find it much easier to code in fpsc.

Doctor Who
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2007 20:31 Edited at: 17th Nov 2007 20:32
FoxKing: I'm thinking about that, a sort of reverse english-to-fpi translator although I've got several ideas beyond a block of if-then statements. I'm thinking that overall logic can be translated.

Something like this:

=====================
:state=0,activated=0:state=1,lightoff
:state=1,activated=1:state=0,lighton
=====================

I haven't completely thought it through yet but I figured that I could use synonyms like "switched" and "turned on" for "activated" and maybe labels for states. So far it's just an idea that is scribbled on paper and obviously not thought through. If there is enough interest, I already have a small working parser that I can continue to expand once I figure out all the details.

Quote: "I'd spent about $10 for a prog that could do that"
This one I would charge $10 for. It would also have a built-in emulator so that you could watch the states change, activations, and click on check boxes to simulate what a player would do.

And yes... this doctor is named Randy. But it doesn't sound as mysterious.

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2007 22:21
"reverse english-to-fpi translator" now that would be cool, love that idea.
foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
now what WOULD be amazing is a program where you could draw a flow chart and THEN have it converted to a script which is fully commented!

THAT I would pay for!

Seriously - like that program schools make kids use 'flowol 2' but the output is a script...

Doctor Who
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2007 22:48
Hmmmm, a flowchart... an interesting idea. Let me think on this one and see what comes to fruition.

Randy aka Doctor Who

foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
It would be complex to code BUT lots of people would probably buy it - if it does get to that stage maybe you should email TGC about it and try and get it made into an official addon.

A flow chart is REALLY easy - coding isn't - LOADS of people would pay for somthing like that.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 00:52
Quote: "The doctors real name is randy???"

You've never heard of a Randy Doctor before?

foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
No, I thought the doctor was called 'Mr.Smith'...

halospree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 02:03
Man i would definetly pay for something like that, its an amazing idea, and could save lots of time spent scripting, just writing simple logic statments and watching turn into code!

Halospree

www.freewebs.com/callofreedom
Doctor Who
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 04:32
Yes, the British have a lot of fun with my name... however, it fits! LOL!!!

I blame my mother and father (for the name, not the randiness although my father would be proud).

Anyway, I got the print routine sorted out and it's late here in the U.S. so I am going to bed now and tomorrow I'll do a little more testing and release it.

Next version: 2.0 - scripting, flowcharting, or both; a statement watcher / debugger; and maybe a few beers to really encrypt the source so that even I can't read it! Actually, that's probably going a little far.

I'm off like a prom dress...

Randy - The guy known as Doctor Who.

foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
Nooooooooo - It's monday tommorow! =[

Work until 6pm on mondays and getup at 7 =[

halospree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 13:55
Doctor Who, i think your program is amazing, and really works well to help undestand the scripts, but is it just me, or we can't "type" scripts in FPI Transalator? This would be helpful, because it would actually be cheking your script as you go along, because if it cant transalate it, then, that means that their is a problem somwhere in your line of code. Also, a good addition, if this is included, is to make an area in File called New, which can let you start a script from scratch, but comes with the basic starting blocks

Thanks for one hell of an amazing tool Doctor Who!

Halospree

www.freewebs.com/callofreedom
Doctor Who
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 14:01 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2007 03:30
Here is the new version. I finally came up with a name: X-Plain.

It has a print option (not in color yet, sorry).

An options menu with the ability to check if you want the original .fpi lines printed above.

Another option for using the verbose animations (a lot of people use them for their characters but doors and other things won't make sense with it) or numerical as it is now.

I've changed the Save As to print to Notepad (.txt) format for simplicity.

Fixed a bug in the save where if you canceled it would have crashed.

Added a copy to clipboard under Edit.

A near future release will be to add a font selection for both screen and printer, change colors to one's liking, color printing or use bold, italics, and so-on (user's choice), export to html and maybe .pdf (Adobe).

The other program will be the scripting and/or flowchart program we talked about earlier.

And now, to work on my game a little and take a break but rest assured, this evening I'll be working on these little projects.

Edit: I removed this version as I put a newer one at the bottom of the thread.

Enjoy -- The Randy Doctor, Doctor Randy.

foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
YAY!!!

Thanks for the prog mate - gonna test now.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 08:07:44
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 08:07:44