Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / Cold Beta(56kb warning)

Author
User Banned
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 06:53 Edited at: 11th Dec 2007 20:48

Official Cold Website located here: http://cold.8tt.org/

This is the official thread for the Cold Beta(s), The reasoning for starting a thread for the beta is because the other thread was kind of getting out of hand.

Its recommend that you have a Geforce 7000 series or better to play this beta. Also I just want some clean good, scoring on this game.
Ex.

Level Design- 10/10
Lights-2/10

You know stuff like that. If you just want to make a simple comment about the game I ask you to please go to the old thread. I would really appreciate it. Another thing is when you download the zip, read the "PLEASE READ BEFORE PLAY" file first, or the game will be crap, when you start the game turn down the light maps. Well I hope you have fun with the game and leave some good ratings!

Here is the link to the beta:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FHJ3JM7Z

Pictures:

Corky
User Banned
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 16:34 Edited at: 9th Dec 2007 17:48
Link is fixed, you now can download it.

Have fun!

Edit: 73 views and no downloads

Akten
Years of Service
User Offline
Didn't work. When I tried to play it it said that it had encountered an error and needed to close.
Corky
User Banned
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 19:04 Edited at: 9th Dec 2007 19:46
Quote: "Didn't work. When I tried to play it it said that it had encountered an error and needed to close."

Did anyone else try to download it, what did the error message say?

Edit:
You need to extract the game first, did you do that, because I downloaded it and it worked fine.

Snipesoul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 21:28
I didn't get an error, but I was able to successfully download and play the game. And now here is my little "review":

Level Design- 8/10. The entity placement and specific segment usage made it look realistic. Maybe a few more entities in some places would make it look better.

Lighting- 7/10. It could be better. Try getting static objects to cast shadows from the lights.

Performance- 8/10. 32-33fps everytime, except at the last part when you need to fight the Bioshock dude. It starts to lag like hell at that part until I kill him.

Overall Rating- 8/10

BTW The Bioshock dude gets stuck and can't move to you in the last part.

http://www.freewebs.com/snipedupstudios/index.htm

VISIT IT!
piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 21:35
Lookin good! I'm gonna download this now...

[img]www.ciphersoftware.co.uk/images/pt_banner.jpg[/img]
Corky
User Banned
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 01:11
Quote: "BTW The Bioshock dude gets stuck and can't move to you in the last part."

Ok I will fix that, about the lagging part with the bioshock dude, I just dont know what to do. Ive tried to take stuff out but it still lags.

Thanks for the review

Akten
Years of Service
User Offline
It says something along the lines of "Cold Demo had to quit unexepectadly, we're sorry for the inconviencance." I did extract the files and that came up when i clicked the cold demo file. Hope this helps?
Corky
User Banned
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 21:10
Quote: "It says something along the lines of "Cold Demo had to quit unexepectadly, we're sorry for the inconviencance." I did extract the files and that came up when i clicked the cold demo file. Hope this helps?"

Then I dont really know.

Snipesoul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 21:35
Why am I the only one who was actually able to play the game...?

VISIT IT!
Corky
User Banned
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 21:37 Edited at: 10th Dec 2007 21:43
Quote: "Why am I the only one who was actually able to play the game...?
"

I guess, did you do anything to it before playing it.

@Akten

Do you have Windows Vista?
If you do try going into properties and changing its compatibility to xp service pack, or whatever its called.
Another suggestion, did you extract the whole entire thing or just the exe, you have to extract the files to.

Snipesoul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 21:41
I extracted it onto my desktop, played it, then I moved it into a folder in C:\Program Files

VISIT IT!
Akten
Years of Service
User Offline
No, I have Windows XP. I've downloaded other peoples demos before and those worked fine. Game looks good too, I was dissapointed when it didn't work.
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 23:34
I was able to play it just had some odd occurances during it though. like the level started with full brightness the i got to a certain point and it got dark. I couldnt get past the room with the laptop computers and the 3 large glass windows. I saw a switch but it dint do anything I could see. I'll give it another go.

Corky
User Banned
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 23:35 Edited at: 10th Dec 2007 23:35
Quote: "No, I have Windows XP. I've downloaded other peoples demos before and those worked fine. Game looks good too, I was dissapointed when it didn't work."

Maybe, you could try to re download it, that might work?

Snipesoul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 23:44
@Disturbing 13

The switch opens up the vent that you see before in the beginning.

VISIT IT!
Corky
User Banned
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 00:15
Quote: "I was able to play it just had some odd occurances during it though. like the level started with full brightness the i got to a certain point and it got dark. "

Yeah, thats my fault, I forget to turn down the ambiance when I was making the game so when you start you have to turn it down yourself.

Akten
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Maybe, you could try to re download it, that might work?
"

Still no luck.
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 01:12 Edited at: 11th Dec 2007 01:13
ok went back replayed, and honestly things looked fine at the ambiance you had it. It was too dark. To the point of annoyance. I honestly couldnt tell where I was half the time had it not been for useing the gun as a flashlight. One more question, what spawned besides the cheescake diver guy? cuz when he spawned I was in a total laggfest. Some of the problems with making levels this dark is the enemies when spawned if not close enough to a lightsource (when useing shaders) will be solid black no matter what lightsource they enter. They always retain the light level at their spawn. The only way I was able to recognize cheesecakes model was because of the shape. Otherwise he was solid black. Honestly I'd brighten it up a bit. Dark is good but too dark is ...eh.

Corky
User Banned
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 01:14
Quote: "ok went back replayed, and honestly things looked fine at the ambiance you had it. It was too dark. To the point of annoyance. I honestly couldnt tell where I was half the time had it not been for useing the gun as a flashlight. One more question, what spawned besides the cheescake diver guy? cuz when he spawned I was in a total laggfest. Some of the problems with making levels this dark is the enemies when spawned if not close enough to a lightsource (when useing shaders) will be solid black no matter what lightsource they enter. They always retain the light level at their spawn. The only way I was able to recognize cheesecakes model was because of the shape. Otherwise he was solid black. Honestly I'd brighten it up a bit. Dark is good but to dark is ...eh."

hmm.... thats wierd when I played the bioshock dude was not black, I made it dark because you are supposed to use flashlight, but I will lighten it up a little bit I guess. Nothing else spawned I dont know why it goes so slow?

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 01:22 Edited at: 11th Dec 2007 01:47
one more question, did you have dynamic lights turned on for the compiling? You probbably had it on in testing but the flashlight wont work if the dynamic light isnt placed and checked to be active during the compileing. This is assuming your useing S4real's flashlight. The atmosphere and sounds were great I have to say. It's just when the lights went out you really couldnt see a thing.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Corky
User Banned
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 01:23 Edited at: 11th Dec 2007 01:23
Yeah, it works for me? I have everything turned on besides the shaders.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 01:37 Edited at: 11th Dec 2007 01:48
did you set the range of the dynamic light to 0 and static to no? I only ask these things cuz I want to see projects like this come to fruition. I've tested the flashlight before and gotten totally different results. I'll post some pics of what I see since im one of the few to get it (the demo) working.

compared to this

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Corky
User Banned
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 02:46
Thats what you see with the flashlight on?

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 05:04
the first pic is with flashlight on, the second pic is if i dont engage the flashlight at all with just the regular lighting. when I don't engage the flashlight I can see all the work that went into the game, the detail and such, but with the flashlight on you cant see a thing.

Corky
User Banned
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 20:45
because the ambiance is supposed to be set to 0, its my fault i forgot to change it, thats why i asked people to manually do it.
Then when you turn the flashlight you can see stuff where there is no light.

Snipesoul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 21:24
Hold < to lower the ambience in the game. You can lower it all the way to pitch black (0) as Corky wants it to be. If you hold >, it raises the ambience but is a little bit of a cheat though.

VISIT IT!
Corky
User Banned
Posted: 13th Dec 2007 21:45
I should have Chapter One(level 1) done in a few days and up for download.

Endless Fps Team
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2007 02:03
Sorry Corky, i havent had the time to play it this week...So... I can beta the next one for shure....

Corky
User Banned
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 21:31
Alright thats, fine you can play Chapter 1 in a couple of days when its done.

Corky
User Banned
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 23:41
New Pic that will be on Chapter 2

Snipesoul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2007 04:05
Nice! Can't for the demo for that one as well!

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GTX
Corky
User Banned
Posted: 17th Dec 2007 04:07 Edited at: 17th Dec 2007 04:22
That ones not going to be a demo, its going to be the first level, I want to release them one by one, it will be to big of a file to release as one.

Oh by the way is it ok if I use your review of the beta on the cold site?

Snipesoul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2007 09:03 Edited at: 17th Dec 2007 09:21
Sure! I'll make another review as soon as you release the next chapter as well.

EDIT: BTW can I put a link to your site on mine?

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GTX
Corky
User Banned
Posted: 17th Dec 2007 15:59
Go Ahead, I would Love it

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 18:41
My Spec. Currently on a work computer:
Dual core Intel 2.6G
2G ram
Integrated Graphics card.

Ran fine. Had no problems getting it to work. Load time was very fast.

Summary.

The demo was cool. I actually played it twice, once with the lights how you requested, and once with lighting turned up so I could actually see what was going on.

I have to say, you've done an OK job with level design, and should perhaps add some more lights, because at the settings you reccomend, it's just too dark. Even with the flashlight, I still couldn't really see.

The sound was horribly compressed and a little too loud in places, but I really liked the way it was done. Dropping out of the shaft, I was waiting to get attacked and the noise did make me jump.

So. Overall (outta 10).

Graphics : 8
Sound : 7
Gameplay : 5
Lag : 4*
GUI hud etc : 4

Graphics were good. Not a great deal of stuff I hadn't seen before, but it all looked nice enough. The sounds as I previously mentioned were good.
Gameplay was lacking. I didn't know why I was in the warehouse, or what I was doing there, or what the spiders were, or why there was a giant diver. You worked well on the sound, perhaps some NPCs would be helpful, saying stuff like "we gotta get outta here" etc. or even telling you what to do.
LAg, only (as previously mentioned) right at the end. I had no trouble with the Big Daddy showing up, but he did lag like a total badman. I was right down to 3 FPS, which seems crazy considering it held steady at 32 the rest of the level.
Hud. I really bashed you on this one. The hud was horribly obtrusive, taking up most of the top left quarter of the screen. Considering I only used my weapon twice, and had no need to check my health, such a big hud seemed silly.
Anyway. It's a good start. And well done for having the balls to put this up, so that we could rip it appart. You have thought further than just creating a shooter, there were some nice little bits of required exploration, has potential.

overall: 56% (which ain't bad for a beta)

Corky
User Banned
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 20:56
Thank you butters, I will work on all of those things before I release Chapter 1. I have my own sounds now. Those were not my sounds. I have my own for Chapter 1. As for you not knowing what was going on, I will have to make more of the story available in game.
I already know that there were not enough lights and I'm already working on that.

So thanks everybody for helping out and be expected for a better game when Chapter 1 comes out.

Corky
User Banned
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 04:15
Sorry for not updating in a while, but I wanted to let you know I am still working on this.

Level 1 release date:
2-4 days

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 07:06:52
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 07:06:52