Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [TAC] Seadome: Perception

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2008 02:52 Edited at: 18th Aug 2008 20:08
This post now follows two, intertwined projects: the Perception Interactive Fiction Engine (which does not have a lame abbreviation) and the first game built upon that engine, Seadome: Perception.

The Text Adventure Competition 2008 by MISoft Studios is running again, and the prizes and rules have been set. This year, I'll be entering a text adventure based upon a Game Design I've been talking about more often - a design that one almost sprung into reality were it not that it is too ambitious to take on for now.

But on the other hand, the riddles and story of Seadome is complex enough to contain a substory or a parallel story. This particular story , which goes by the name of Seadome: Perception, starts exactly 12 years before the events of Seadome, and ends a few moments before Seadome ends.

The story will follow three of the inhabitants of the Australia 4 Dome, a secret initiative of the United Space Program initiated in 2097. Testing both materials and the human spirit against extraterrestial circumstances, a number of closely monitored 'seadomes' is built. However, to create a true reconstruction of the situation on other planets, an additional seadome is built and more than twenty experts are selected to live in the dome for 15 years - no monitoring and no contact to the outside world.

For twelve years, everything goes well - however, during that twelfth year - something goes horribly wrong. In Seadome, players will learn who will survive the situation underwater, when twenty people fight for their right of survival - twenty people, no help, one submarine. In Seadome: Perception, however, the player learns how exactly the events of Seadome unfold and uncovers a potentially fatal plot.

The gameplay is parser-driven. A simple parser allowing single-line commands is the heart of the gameplay. Also, another core function and signature for the Seadome games is the including of realtime rising water. However, I felt realtime was not appropriate for a text-based game and thus, Seadome: Perception features what I now call semi-realtime gameplay. Per command, the time progresses in realtime for two minutes, after which it will keep to the maximum of two minutes per action. This way, you can choose to read through most passages calmly, but there will still be a time-pressing aspect in certain parts of the game, as sometimes seconds can be the difference between life and death.

The progress is rather good. By now, the engine is completed. The game is script-driven, allowing me to add levels in a easy and quite complete way. A quick list of functions available is located in the code-tag below.

With five seperate files, one can create a full act with advanced interaction and possibilities. Currently, the Prologue, which is the first act, is finished. There will be seven acts, proceeding in a linear fashion. Their names are set to be:

Quote: "
• Prologue: In Cold Blood
• Chapter 1: The Breach
• Chapter 2: Secrets Revealed
• Chapter 3: Submerged
• Chapter 4: Fatally Vengeful
• Chapter 5: Unlikely Truth
• Chapter 6: The Deceit Was My Own
• Chapter 7: Dead Men Cannot Drown"

That's what I'll tell for now, I think. More than enough. Oh, right, screenshot.

[quote][/quote]

Yes, I know, it's a cute logo

The Perception Engine manual

The Perception Engine will be made available for free after the results of the competition are in.

DEMO: PROLOGUE - IN COLD BLOOD | Link

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2008 04:51
That looks really tasty.
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, I love eating barcodes

Looks nice Rami!

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2008 15:57
Oooh...well I think I ought to announce my entry soon...I've really neglected it, so I'm going to have to sit down and work at it this week.

This sounds interesting, can't wait to play it.

"Experience never provides its judgments with true or strict universality; but only (through induction) with assumed and comparative universality." - Immanuel Kant
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2008 22:06
Wow, very nice. I like both the game's look, and the game's concept. The engine sounds very thorough too

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2008 12:59 Edited at: 18th Aug 2008 09:09
Started work on the logo, which I wish to keep clean and basic. I think I'll go for a similar logo to my Wartorn entry, last year, so bicolored and text only.

Inspired by Darth Kiwi's entry, I've done a little revamp of my GUI, which now allows for far more and far easier readable text. Also, I've started work on Act 2/Chapter 1.

It will be interesting to see whether the engine holds ground now the game increases in complexity, I'm especially interested in seeing how it handles, lets say, the puzzles.

Attachments

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2008 14:16
Nice. Going all out for a parser based system eh? How complicated is it going to get? Main advantage is that it can make a much better game than a choice based game, main disadvantage is if not advanced enough then can leave people frustrated (get key, pick up key, get the key, pick up the key, obtain key etc etc can get annoying when turns out to be take key, and thats only a simple example).

Still, I expect great things after last years effort

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Current fave quote : "She was like a candle in the wind.... unreliable...."
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2008 15:44
My current parser is quite advanced, I think. It gets most sentences as long as they're based on a certain layout for the sentence - one you'll be explained about in the tutorial. On top of that, adding keywords is as simple as adding a single line of code.

Till now, I've only seen one problem with code, which is that I need to redo the object check which decides whether or not an object is in a room - if two objects end with the same word (i.e. Hangar Door/Vehicle Door) the system can get confused based on some of yesterdays tests.

Luckily, the fix shouldn't be too hard .

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2008 16:26
Cool. I look forward to it. IMO Multiple choice games really have to push the boat out (which was done pretty well in your last adventure game) to immerse the player in the game, whereas parser based adventures (ie. the vast majority back in the day) had a massive advantage in that area. Although a good parser that doesn't hinder the player needs some time to perfect.

Heh, it may take until 2012 before someone even attempts a parser on the level I was suggesting at the start of this competition (eg. parse the sentence "take rope and tie boat to dock, then drill hole in boat with corkscrew"). The unfunny thing is games back on the 48k Spectrum got to those sort of levels of sophistication 20 years ago or so (I remember Gnome Ranger being quite good). But it's a lost art really.

Cheers

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2008 19:00
Quote: "Inspired by Darth Kiwi's entry, I've done a little revamp of my GUI, which now allows for far more and far easier readable text."

Yay!

Regarding the parser system, I suggest you have 2 different kinds of "error" messages for when something doesn't work. Let's say I type "take key".
If the engine doesn't understand, it comes up with an "I don't understand" message.
But if the key is too far away to reach, it says "You can't get the key" or something.

While it seems obvious, this would avoid the "that doesn't work" type message, which could be understood as either kind of "error" which might leave the player wondering whether they can't take the key, or whether the engine just doesn't have that word in its vocabulary.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2008 22:43
Quote: "I suggest you have 2 different kinds of "error" messages for when something doesn't work"
When I was still working on DarkMUD I had a bunch of error messages that were kicked off randomly. Made the game a bit less repetitive. I did the same thing with explosion sounds in a few games and it breaks up the repetitivness.

Cheers

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2008 23:44
Quote: "Regarding the parser system, I suggest you have 2 different kinds of "error" messages for when something doesn't work. Let's say I type "take key".
If the engine doesn't understand, it comes up with an "I don't understand" message.
But if the key is too far away to reach, it says "You can't get the key" or something.

While it seems obvious, this would avoid the "that doesn't work" type message, which could be understood as either kind of "error" which might leave the player wondering whether they can't take the key, or whether the engine just doesn't have that word in its vocabulary."

Already have that. Come to think of it, I already have three types of error messages.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2008 00:45
Quote: "I already have three types of error messages."

Even better!

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2008 01:47
Looks really cool man, I'm interested to see how you'll work out the 2 minute timer system.

I remember a while ago there was a timer based graphic-novel adventure game where some actions required you to react within a certain time frame. For example, in conversation if you waited very long the other person would ask you if something was wrong, and after a while get irritated or leave. And in another scene where a bad guy threatens the damsel in distress with a knife you have a certain amount of time to decide which (of 4 or 5) actions you will commit to. It managed this by including a quick test at startup to see how fast the player could read a paragraph.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2008 01:49
Quote: "I remember a while ago there was a timer based graphic-novel adventure game where some actions required you to react within a certain time frame."

How does getting out of a submerging dome in time sound?

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2008 09:47
Quote: "How does getting out of a submerging dome in time sound?"
Let me think about it.... Yeah, cool.

Cheers

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2008 00:59
Looks good, and the story kept me interested

I'm also going for a parser in my entry (I learn latin in school, and it helped me think of a good way to split up a sentence into the various parts). I basically have a huge list of adjectives and a huge list of adverbs, a huge list of actions, and a smaller list of nouns (only including the ones I use). That way I know exactly what each word means in the sentence, and if it is an adjective/adverb that it hasn't counted for it can just ignore it, because it knows that it's an adjective/adverb. Also, because it knows what is the verb, I can pick it out, and then just do a load of ifs and ors and elses to find what to do.

Yuor signutare was aresed by a deslyxic mud...
Curious? CLICK HERE!
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2008 13:13 Edited at: 12th Aug 2008 18:25
I use the same system but far simpeler, I think. It's based on the location of the noun and verb in a command in the imperative mood, which always is the same (basically, the verb comes first, the noun comes last).

The parser then goes through a quick loop of eliminations to figure out what exactly is the object or command the player is referring to.

Act 2 is underway, although I've let some people playtest level one and found that I made some tiny mistakes (ie, not tell that a room is to the north because I know it is ) and will be adding a simple tutorial.

Attachments

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 18:46
Okay, everybody is posting a demo, so here goes. This is the current sketch of the Prologue chapter, which is called "In Cold Blood". The top post has the link, although it's added here as well. The game might crash afterwards because I only set win conditions after chapter 7.

https://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/download/1557492

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 21:40
Tested - not played all the way through yet, but I like what you've got so far and nice paser by the way - I can see that giving it a boost on technological grounds and of course having the tutorial helps with the paser, instead of having to guess what you have to write all the time.

"Experience never provides its judgments with true or strict universality; but only (through induction) with assumed and comparative universality." - Immanuel Kant
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 21:48 Edited at: 12th Aug 2008 21:48
Thanks Sepp .

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 14:07
This is nice - I like the balance of simplicity and flexibility you have with the parser. The tutorials help immensely, as well, and the UI is very effective: I especially like the fact there's a clock, and the different boxes for investigation and thoughts.

Unfortunately, I almost got stuck when trying to listen in on the conversation. I tried "check wall", and after tring all manner of stupid things ("lean"?) I tried "use wall" which prompted me to "use monitoring system". What I didn't understand was that the monitoring system has no sound, so I had to "use wall" again to listen in. There were also a few other small problems: when I "take bag", the description window still says "You're in a room etc. etc., your bag is on the table - maybe you should take it?" which made me wonder if I had taken it.

But, overall, looking forward to more!

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 16:07
I just downloaded the game. Very nice story and intro, great work!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2008 17:30
Now working on fixing a few bugs. I also added some further support to have multiple objects with similar names. The game will now indicate this correctly.

I've added Music Change, Music Stop and Music Play as Events during a Trigger.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 12:13
Added my progress on the manual for the Perception Engine (the engine I created on which the game is scripted) to the top post. Click the code tag to see what I've got till now.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2008 02:17 Edited at: 18th Aug 2008 02:18
I praise your coding skills. I worship an idol of your hands on a keyboard every night before I go to bed, in fact.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2008 09:16
Sorry for yet another post today, I promise it is my final one for today. Do mind I count working till 9AM as "today" for yesterday. After I wake up, today will be tomorrow. If that doesn't make sense, it comes down to that when I wake up, I'll allow myself to post again.

Worked on completing that darn manual and the logo. Also, finishing touches are being made for act two, which, sadly, nobody can play until I run it through Word's spelling and grammar correction. Which I'll probably do when Act 7 is completed.

Added a bit more flexibility with scripting and the credits sequence. Added a non-changable image as the logo for the engine, and whoever uses the engine will have the logo show up at the start of the game. Also, in the credits, the before-last entry will be hardcoded to refer to this engine being used.

Not that anyone will use an Interactive Fiction engine - and if they do, definitely not this one, but then again - as the creators of Mono once put it: God knows, there are plenty of strange people on the internet.

Yes, I know, it's a cute logo

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2008 17:21
If there were a word like "awesome", but which didn't refer to supernatural beings and clamorous trumpets etc. I would use that word.

Ah, what the heck. I'll use it anyway:

That's awesome!

entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2008 10:36 Edited at: 25th Sep 2008 10:38
What struck me about it was the looks! Great design, I must say. The hexagonal artwork is terrific.

As a former journalist, however, I'd very much have liked some more text formatting. And the parser froze the game as if it was stuck in an infinity loop when I entered a questionmark (?) into it and pressed return, if that's useful information for you!

But some truly awesome design and what seems to be a lot of great work!
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2008 11:10
Sadly, I'm afraid I won't be finishing this project in time for the contests' ending. School, girlfriend and work are taking too much time of my day and in most cases, I'm more than happy to use the time for those goals. As for Seadome Perception, it'll be released either as entry to the 2009 contest, or just when it's finished. There's too much work in it to drop it, and not enough to considered it publishable. I've worked it all the way up to Act 3: Submerged.

So, my apologies to the competition and my competitors, but I'm retreating from the MISoft Text Adventure Competittion 2008. I really hope I'll be back next year.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 04:47:21
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 04:47:21