Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Bug Reports / [LOCKED] Too high demands on DirectX

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2008 11:57 Edited at: 20th Sep 2008 12:46
I am making a game with FPSC X9 that is able to run on low-end/mid-end computers. It is working fine and is able to run decent on even older laptops with integrated Intel graphics solutions (no shaders, no multi-textures, no dynamic lighting etc. does wonders for the framerate). On that part I am very pleased with the scalability of FPSC since a lot of modern engines don't allow FPS games to run on equally old hardware.

There is one big problem however and that is the almost unreasonable high demands FPSC has on the users DirectX version. Even Windows XP with Service Pack 3 installed won’t run the game without requiring the user to download additional updates to their DirectX and if they have any less than a very late DirectX 9.0c build installed the game will simply crash on launch – no useable bug report shown.

This is a huge problem for FPSC in my opinion! We developers have all the latest hardware and software installed but 95% of your games users won't have a clue to what their installed DirectX version. This problem grows when you are targeting a more casual audience who don’t necessarily see themselves as gamers. To these users it is a huge barrier that the game crashes and they must find and download additional 60-80 MB of software. Most will just give up and delete your game.

Where am I getting with all this? Well, I believe that FPSC games should run on most standard Windows pc's without requiring additional software. FPSC games could catch entirely new audiences if it would run without a hassle on something like a Windows XP Service Pack 2 pc. This is what most people have and understand what is.

My question: Is it possible to make FPSC compatible with the DirectX version installed by standard in WinXP SP2 or is this impossible?
Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2008 11:03
Since Lee answered this in another thread this one can be closed.

(FPSC req. DX9 oct. 2006 build i its latest version - at least that is a lot smaller than the latest DX builds)
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2008 21:10
Closed at request of author.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-23 22:10:41
Your offset time is: 2024-05-23 22:10:41