Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all, I'm working on the level editor for this RTS project: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=111037&b=8
I've been working on some objects and I'd like to make some really good looking crystals, up until now I haven't been able to make them look the way I want by using DBPro commands. What I'm looking for is something that looks similar to this:

If anyone has any ideas on how to pull this off it will be greatly apriciated. Maybe some shader or a right combination of DBPro commands.

Thanks in advance
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2009 16:47
I'd try some alpha transparency. Ghosting might be the obvious choice for this but the effect of ghosting is too additive, you don't want the crystals to get brighter when there's detail behind it.

I'd make a mesh like those crystals there, and inside the crystals maybe position 10 limbs, like a plain for instance with it's own pivot set. I'd use a PNG texture with quite a low alpha layer, so the flatter bits of crystal are more transparent.
Then in DBPro I'd use transparency mode 1 (SET OBJECT TRANSPARENCY Obj,1) - and hide all those cube limbs.

So what you'd end up with is a non-additive transparency plus 10 key locations, which you could use for a little glow like in the picture, or maybe a sparkle particle showing at these locations randomly.

To make things super-shiny, just apply a sphere map texture as well.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 25th Jan 2009 16:35 Edited at: 25th Jan 2009 16:37
Alfa X has encouraged me to have a go at this. Here's a demo. The crystals don't glow yet.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 25th Jan 2009 16:37
screenshot for previous post

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2009 17:53
Looks pretty good so far GG

Deam Demon,
I would try to play with the lighting setting of a crystal object to make it more specular. Then, add a reflection shader and maybe some bloom. While it might kill the framerate, it would surely look stunning!

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2009 02:28
Quote: "Alfa X has encouraged me to have a go at this. Here's a demo. The crystals don't glow yet."

Thank you so much GG, i have to play with this.

Cheers.
BlobVanDam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2009 07:45
Looks ok, but I have a few suggestions.
First of all, try to model them rather than use a scaled sphere primitive. The shape isn't right for a crystal. It shouldn't be too hard to model even if you're not experienced. Also try creating a basic texture if you can. Judging by the picture, it looks like it's a bit more opaque near the edge lines and more transparent towards the middle of the polygons. Even with an auto UV map and a basic UV template that would be pretty easy.
But you're on the right track with the specular and the alpha
Demon000
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks everyone and great work GG, I've been playing a little bit with it, here's a couple of images.
calcyman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 17:50
You could use ghost plains to create a pulsating plasma effect inside each crystal. Try looking at TEH_CODERER's "cool screensaver" for an example.

The optomist's right, The pessimist's right.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 13:51:37
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 13:51:37