Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / animations made with db thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
this thread is for animatons made with db

thought it would be cool
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2009 20:20
do you mean like gif animations or frame by frame for games. or avis?lol not sure

New Site! Check it out \/
bobbyd
Years of Service
User Offline
i meant like darkmatter models that had been coded to walk around buildings or landscapes and shoot stuff that kind of thing
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2009 21:01
oh whoops didn't include 3d in that sorry.

I thought you meant like ANimations someone made and wanted to upload

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is a dancing robot. I used the robot model that comes with DBC in the static > R folder .

The files are attached. I vaguely synced the timing of the music with the animation, but only spent a couple minutes on it. Actually, the music is what makes the download over a meg.

Oh giant killer robot, why must you dance so beautifully?

Enjoy your day.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
bobbyd
Years of Service
User Offline
i like it
good how you made it in a couple of minutes
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks! I meant I only spent a few minutes trying to match the music to the animation - so it's kinda synced...

Enjoy your day.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
ok, here's some experimentation in converting bone animation to limb animation.

Enjoy your day.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 14:04
Latch:
Awesome work! I am really impressed. Can I ask how you did that with the robot and also converting the boned animation to limb animation?

LB
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 17:43
wow! where didyou get the model?

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
@LBFN
Thanks!
You want me to give away all my secrets?
The Robot is an x file from the default bunch of static models that comes with DarkBASIC (at least on CD). I imported the model into Deled3d, exported it out as wavefront .obj . Imported the .obj file into Blender. Reset the appropriate pivot points of each limb. Linked the parent child hierarchy. Applied animation. Used my current version of a python script to export Blender limbed animation to DBC directx compatible format.

For the bone to limb animation conversion, again I used Blender. I started with an example model that Hangar18 supplied of a lizard like monster. Though, after viewing the resulting limbed animation, it totally looks like the motion capture of a house cat! Anyway, when you have an armature (a skeleton, rigging, etc.) you can have "fake" objects called empties at the bone ends. I wrote another python script that converts the empties into meshes. If the armature is animated, it has something called an IPO associated with each bone. The script also assigns the bone's IPO to each mesh (limb). Then I use my export script to output it in directx format for DBC. This process takes a lot of user intervention (as it's still experimental).

Just a note, for those static models that come with DBC, I highly recommend Deled3d to import them and change them. It's extremely easy to change the texturing and the meshes themselves without the limbs combining into one mesh upon output.

Enjoy your day.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 18:41
Latch:
Quote: "You want me to give away all my secrets?"
Ummm....yeah.

Wow, you really put a lot of work into figuring this out. I think I've said this before, but you are one clever fellow. You even figured it out so that the .x files aren't huge. Blender and I never really got along, and I enjoy using Milkshape (which is excellent for boned animation).

It sure makes me appreciate boned animation in DBP.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Where did bobbyd go? Aren't there any other coder's, artists, hobbyists who want a go at displaying some animations? Could be anything! 2d, 3d, whatever.

Enjoy your day.
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 20:10
I almost had a cool little animated car going but computer failure stopped that.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 16:33:18
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 16:33:18