Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / The EXTREME Graphics Makeover Contest: Entry Thread

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2009 23:31
Hello Everyone,

If you have some WIP's for this contest, you can post them here.

Cheers!

Diru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 11:09 Edited at: 17th Jun 2009 13:08

Updated as of 17th June 09

Origins of the name

The name バリケード is Japanese for Barricade. Barricade is a fitting name for the game because you are barricaded from the exit by obstacles and puzzles you must overcome, and バリケード is amy favourite song by a band called girugämesh.

Why not just name it 'Barricade'?
The hiragana makes it stand out and seeming as girugämesh is Japanese the proper song title is バリケード not Barricade.

A video of the song for those of you who are curious. It's metal, so if you don't like metal, don't click. バリケード

Gameplay
Barricade is a 2D (actually 3D but that doesn't matter) puzzle game. In which you must navigate the protagonist through levels containing a variety obstacles, as the levels progress the puzzles will increase in difficulty.

The story of Barricade is not a complicated one. A humble, simple minded man by the name of Goofy Doofy somehow angered the entity, the entity than transformed him into a ball and placed him in a new dimension entitled BlockDIM.

Puzzle Mode

Puzzle mode is the main part of the game.

Goofy Doofy must navigate through 3 stages (4 stages including the secret stage) and then confront the entity and escape.

Each stage represents a different section of BlockDIM:
The first stage contains grassy fields and simple puzzles.
The second stages contains a lot of sand and water – it is a beach and the puzzles it contains are of moderate difficulty.
The third stage is in the hell of BlockDIM and the puzzles are hard.
If I implement a secret fourth stage it will be in an abstract world and consist of two levels. The first will be a very difficult puzzle. The second will be a secret boss, also very difficult.

Obstacles

Walls – simple static blocks which you can’t walk through.
Push Blocks – blocks which you can’t walk through but you can push.
Fluffums – evil sheep who will only move once you feed them a carrot.
Carrot – a item which you can pick up and feed to a Fluffum.
Spikes – don’t walk on them, else you’ll die.
Pressure Pad – Push a block onto them and a block somewhere in the level will be removed so you can walk through it.

Obstacles to be added

Invisible walls – will only make an appearance in stage 4, because they are evil.
Teleporters – Teleports you to the linked teleporter.
Locked doors – Require a key to unlock them. Disappear once opened. (Along with key)
Hell doors – Require a key to unlock them. Lock once you’ve walked through them and your key disappears.
Key – Opens locked doors (colour coded)
Conveyor Belt – Forces you in a certain direction.
Near invisible spikes – Look carefully!

Maze Mode

This is just an added extra - 3 or 4 mazes to do. Just because I felt like making a maze.

Level Editor

The level editor has simple features:
Press a number key to select which item to place down, right click to delete it.
Use W,A,S,D to select different tiles of the map.

Screenshot/s

Haven't got a very good screenshot since I'm working on obstacles rather than the level.

The grey blocks are solid, static blocks.
The yellow sphere is the finish - you touch it to end the level. (Will be replaced by a 2d image)
The green sphere is the player. (Will be replaced by a 2d image)
The carrot is a carrot.
The sheep is a fluffum, which you must collect a carrot then walk into it and it will dissappear. Like a locked door except you don't need a specific key.

Misc

Concept art for menu (done in Paint :/)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2009 17:46
..Just a little bump so it doesn't get lost.

Cheers!

Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2009 20:08
just so you don't think no1 else is doing anything, I'm going to release details of my one later in the competition, so it stays and looks fresh for everyone.

Jeff Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 02:11
I will be entering also. I need to spend a few weeks adding some audio, which is not my strong suit.

I've looked over a lot of your excellent artwork in other threads. I'm curious: do you initially create the artwork in a vector format and then convert it to .png files that you post?
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 03:27
Hi David, I can sticky this one instead and unsticky the other thread to keep things organized

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 12:33
Quote: "Hi David, I can sticky this one instead and unsticky the other thread to keep things organized "

Er? This thread contains no relevant details or links to tell us what we are supposed to be doing or when.

Am I right in thinking that the other, unspecified ( ), thread gives such details?
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 13:31
yes the main thread is the 'Info thread' this is the entry thread, where people post their wip or final entries.

GG, do you think the info thread should be the one stickied? I think you may be right. I was thinking with the link in the newsletter they will be able to find it easy enough.

switch them back if you wish, I'm easy.

Cheers!

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 14:06
The simplest solution is to put the link to the other thread in your first post on this thread - then nothing else needs to change.

Quote: "switch them back if you wish"

I don't have that power.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 05:29
Switched back

@David - Feel free to edit your first post in the other thread to link to this one.

Papples
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2009 20:34
@ Diru
Hiragana. Good start. I look forward to the thread.
Diru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 11:23 Edited at: 17th Jun 2009 13:09
Thanks! I really need to learn which is which considering the unhealthy amount of Japanese music I listen to >_< and how I despise romaji.

EDIT: Say if I wanted to put concept art on a main menu, would that have to be placeholder?
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 13:16
Diru, any artwork that gets loaded by the game is considered 'placeholder'. If your code draws the boxes and circles using code (ie: drawcircle 10,10,1, or drawbox 10,10,1) it will not get upgraded if you win the contest. I need an actual bitmap/image to edit/replace with new improved versions.

I hope this clears things up once and for all.

Cheers.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 16:01
Probably not, going by experience...

Listen, consider David when planning your entry, and what can be done to make his life easier and at the end of the day, make your game look all the better if it wins.

If you have concept art, then I'd say that you should decide yourself if it goes in, but you can't expect David to redo concept art so if you put art like that in place, you should not expect it to be redone. Frankly if your drawing concept art then you need to find an artist rather than a competition to win an artist (for a day!).
To be honest I think David would be in for a much easier time if he limited the scope to just puzzle games or something like that - I worry about the lofty plans some entrants might have, and I worry more about David's sanity .

But the reason for me even posting is I'm thinking why you need a concept art. See the way I envisaged this compo was that someone would do their own stand in sprites and tiles and make a game - then the GFX would be tarted up if the game wins. There's a perfect example of how it should be handled on post #2 - sprites and tiles and a clear picture of what has to be done. The main thing to consider is that David will probably spend a good amount of time, but a limited amount of time - so the more stuff you have him doing, the less it will shine - but keeping workload small, or the more organized, means he'll be able to get stuck in and do his best work.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Diru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 16:30 Edited at: 17th Jun 2009 16:30
I just feel like having a random image going in the menu. It's not really concept art... I'll upload a pic - it'll make it easier to explain.

[img]http://profile.imageshack.us/user/alexjsra/images/detail/#141/barricadeart.png[/img]

That's the old version. But I was wondering if this was counted as a placeholder as it doesn't affect the gameplay? So basically my question would be: does the menu and have to have bad graphics as well? (Probably yes)
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 17:32
In that sample, you basically mapped your 2d tiles on cubes and made a quick 3D version of the game. Cubes are an easy way to make a 2d game look 3d. That's the kind of minimalist 3d work I could handle.

Van B, don't worry, if an entry ends up needing a gazillion pieces of artwork, then they have seriously 'pushed' Rule #5 "keep it simple". Although this rule was mainly aimed at gameplay, it also applies to the scope of the project.

Cheers!

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 12:42
This bump brought to you by a paranoid artist with a fragile ego! (LOL, j/k)

Hmm, coming up on one month into this contest and only one wip posted so far? I sure hope this was due to June being the end of school month and not due to a lack of interest.

Cheers!

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 17:12
I would have taken you up, but I'm working on two major projects right now and I didn't want to take any more side-projects like I did with the Community Compo.

Diggsey: I have a spine and memory, but one memorable guy says he hates me. What am I?
Diru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 17:21
Random video of the first (easy) stage

Please excuse the MSN conversation at the beginning as I forgot to cut it out
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2009 21:40
o wow, just now realized the entry thread and the info thread were seperate

I was reading the other one and trying to figure out why nobody had enterred...... WHOOPS!!!!!

lol, im lazy, could anyone tell me who all has enterred this shindig?

Diru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2009 22:42
Been sidetracked and busy :/ TIME TO CODE LIKE IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2009 22:46
If it was the end of the world you'd think people would be, you know, praying or dying or something.

That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 00:11
Quote: "If it was the end of the world you'd think people would be, you know, praying or dying or something. "

no, im with Diru, id be coding

Diru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 01:05
I believe in John Carmack-ism

Anyway don't want this locked

Really tired, haven't had much of a chance to test this so this upload is more of a safeguard incase my internet breaks tomorrow (touch wood it won't).

Unfortunatly it's very short because of the reason/s stated in my previous post. And I now have a phobia for creating puzzle levels. Even one's which aren't puzzling. :/

Download attached.

Going to bed after this upload...

Attachments

Diru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 12:32
Fixed some bugs and every sprite supports transparency.

Not final upload unless I fail to upload another newer build or I say that this is the final upload. (Another safeguard)

Attachments

Diru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 13:11
Sorry for the triple post!

Most likely final build because I have stuff to do and I'm not sure what timezone midnight is. If it is GMT midnight I will probably be able to add more levels. (Which it desperatly needs!)

Attachments

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 18:51 Edited at: 14th Aug 2009 19:16
What version of Direct X has the file d3dx9_35.dll? I get a missing file when I try to run your game Diru.

I'm using the latest version of DirectX 9.0c(4.09.0000.0904)

Cheers!

EDIT: nvm I downloaded the most recent DX9 from 2009 and it's up and running. Cheers v2.0!

Diru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 21:20 Edited at: 14th Aug 2009 21:22
Final build (90% sure)

2 bugfixes
10 new levels
a html help file
removed music (it was buggy and annoying)

Included d3dx9_35.dll (because I put it in before I finished reading David's post )

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 23:58:15
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 23:58:15