Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / How to create a MMORPG in darkGDK?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I would like to create a MMORPG in dark GDK. I got a small game that I would like to make to multilayer, but my biggest problem is that I don't find a good way to make a server.
I would like some suggestions please:
Which of these is better(and easiest)?
*Client connects directly to a MySql database. If, how could I connect to mysql without causing lag to the client?
*Client sends information through a TCP connection or such to a client that processes the information. If this is the case, which I think, I would need some help, cause I don't have any clue how to connect(I would strongly prefer no need to open ports(for the player).
*Other?

And yes, I think I am ready to create a (smaller) MMORPG. I got pretty much php experience and I have created many websites over several years. Php and c++ syntax is very similar to each other so... I also created some smaller games in darkGDK.

Thanks for any help!
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2010 19:00
Search multisync, i am not sure if its just for dbp or not. Or the correct spelling lol, But that's the step in the right direction and there is alot of examples etc.

===================
No life, Lots of love, 2 Kids, God save me LOL
henke8100
Years of Service
User Offline
ok... I googled "multisync darkgdk" and found this thread on the tgc board: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=99188&b=5

I downloaded version 1.4.1(newest) and in the installation.txt it says for darkBASIC pro
Installation.txt wrote: "2) Copy Multisync.dll to the 'plugins-user' folder located inside
DarkBASIC Professional's compiler folder."

There are any other versions avalible, or should I just try the darkBasic pro version dll?
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2010 19:34
Yeh, I have used multisync with DGDK. If you have any cash you could try DarkNET, I think that will be the better(only) option for an MMORPG.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2010 19:37
Quote: "ok... I googled "multisync darkgdk" and found this thread on the tgc board: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=99188&b=5

I downloaded version 1.4.1(newest) and in the installation.txt it says for darkBASIC pro
[quote=Installation.txt]2) Copy Multisync.dll to the 'plugins-user' folder located inside
DarkBASIC Professional's compiler folder."

There are any other versions avalible, or should I just try the darkBasic pro version dll? "

Go to the 'other languages' folder, everything you need for DGDK is in there.

GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2010 19:38
yah dark net forgot about that one thats my next step when i move over to gdk fully

===================
No life, Lots of love, 2 Kids, God save me LOL
henke8100
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Yeh, I have used multisync with DGDK. If you have any cash you could try DarkNET, I think that will be the better(only) option for an MMORPG."

Why should I use DarkNET? What is better with that?

Thanks for all fast responses!
pirogoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2010 02:35
Quote: "*Client connects directly to a MySql database. If, how could I connect to mysql without causing lag to the client?"

Wait, seriously? If you think this is a smart or sane way of implementing any sort of multiplayer game, you are clearly not ready to make an MMO.

Never, ever, EVER trust the client with any sort of decision making capability. You always have a server to act as a man in the middle between the client and the database. Your server takes the clients input data, checks the game logic, verifies that it is legitimate, sanitizes the input and writes the information to the database (if even required) and then passes the updated information to any and all clients connected.

Do not underestimate the work, time and effort required to make a basic multiplayer game, let alone an MMO.

-Piro
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2010 02:52
Quote: "Why should I use DarkNET? What is better with that?"

I think there may be a limit on the amount of clients using multisync, DarkNET can take as many as you want.
I could be wrong, you may want to look into it.

Quote: "Do not underestimate the work, time and effort required to make a basic multiplayer game, let alone an MMO."

What? I made one in three days lol. Nah, thats completely correct, there are alot of MMORPG ambitions out there and as far as I know there is not one that has been completed(or even close) with GDK.
I would advise you do your small multiplayer game first, that alone is a huge challenge. Good luck.

Cetobasilius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2010 06:29
multisync is good, i have a reaaaally basic example you can use... you dont need the dll file, because you are using dgdk... it must have some .lib and a .h file somewhere and include them. i will post the code later if you do need it and go the multisync way.

hi
henke8100
Years of Service
User Offline
@Cetobasilius Yes, I would really like some examples I just spent about 30 minutes with it, but multisync at least works.

Quote: "I think there may be a limit on the amount of clients using multisync, DarkNET can take as many as you want.
I could be wrong, you may want to look into it."

As long as it can take 50 players, thats not a big problem. I could make the world in pieces, and have multiple "servers" on one computer, but I think I saw that 10k connections was possible, and I doubt my game will be that popular
Lich120
Years of Service
User Offline
For multiplayer games (I did 2 projects in the past) I've always used RakNet. I haven't used it in a little while but its an open source networking engine that is very easy to get to work in coordination with DarkGDK. I'm pretty sure it's capable of very high player counts also.

http://www.jenkinssoftware.com/
henke8100
Years of Service
User Offline
@Lich120
But it cost money if I want to use it commercial?
Lich120
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorta, if your title grosses under 250k you can use the free indy license. Im not exactly sure how it works since Ive never tried to sell anything. However, if you're grossing over 250k the actual license may be within range since you can use the indy license until you make over 250k legally and then switch.
Cuddle Bunniezzz 12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2010 04:49
You could also try HawkNL:
http://hawksoft.com/hawknl/

It's similar to DarkNet, but not as good. I tend to think of it as the poor man's DarkNet.

Documentation:
http://hawksoft.com/hawknl/docs/index.html

http://www.darkgdk.us/ <- You can now submit pages, upload images, yet were lacking content. We need your help!
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2010 10:43
Quote: "I got a small game that I would like to make to multilayer, but my biggest problem is that I don't find a good way to make a server."

Hi henke8100, I'm more so curious as to why you desire to make a MMORPG. I too had MMORPG Dreams at one time. However, I've since reconsidered and directing my efforts towards a Variable Scale Multiplayer Game in which a Small to Large number of players and co-operation between them determine how the game world interface, mechanics, and features are presented to the players individually.

Cetobasilius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2010 00:11 Edited at: 27th Mar 2010 00:15
hey sorry i took so long. here is the code. its reaaaally simple..

What this does is just a little example of how sending packets functions. but you will have to change it a little bit to get it to work with your game as you want it to function. for example, to send different data on one message you must send it as a string, like"p1,x:12,y:5" where you can separate that string in your other program and take that as"player one is on position(12,5)" or something like that... use your imagination there... :p

if you press "l" before the program starts it will launch in server mode, if you dont press anything it will launch in client mode, you can launch all the clients you wish, but the server only accepts 15. in server mode press "L" so you send a number to all clients, and in client mode press "L" so you send a number to the server. the code is not enhanced and is just for demostration purposes... hope it does help!

and i think 999 is the limit with multisync... dont really remember

hi
henke8100
Years of Service
User Offline
@Cetobasilius

Thank you!!!! Great code, and best of all: it compiled

Found some other example code, but it didn't work First it didn't compile, and then it didn't find the server

May I use parts of this code for my game?
henke8100
Years of Service
User Offline
ok one question more:
is there any risk of data loss? Is it safe to send the Ints five-and-five like this:

and recive them this way:

btw, I know that my code isn't very well written, but I will do a cleanup when I got some of the basic things working.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 28th Mar 2010 11:20
hi henke8100
with the programming im learning and DarkGDK
im also learning how to model / rig / texture and animate in Blender
if you want some models , i could share some and it will be a good expriance for me to model something that i didnt think off,
so tell me if you want some , it will take some time but i guess MMORPG takes some times
henke8100
Years of Service
User Offline
@haliop
That would be very nice, but I guess I am too nooby to create a full MMORPG, but it would be fun to have someone to work with

BTW, my current game idea isn't really a usual MMORPG, more like a car fighting game. You steer a car, and sould take down other players(npcs later too).

I warn you: I am not very good at this yet, a screen of my game:
http://img189.imageshack.us/i/84978119.png/

If you still is interested, you could send me a mail to hk.henrik@gmail.com.
Noel
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Henke8100,

I recently downloaded and began working with Dark GDK;
I'm hoping to make a [small-scale] MMORPG also ^_^

Hehe I used to program online browser-based text-based RPGs on websites using PHP !

Although I don't really have any models,etc for my game yet :p

Just thought I'd make a reply to your thread tho hahah, maybe I'll be able to help with something along the way, so be sure to ask if you need anything! =]

(hehe this is my first post ever on this forum ;O )
Cetobasilius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2010 16:09 Edited at: 28th Mar 2010 16:14
Of course you can use it! im glad it worked! hope to see more of this game! , dont know if you can send ints like that and recieve like that... im on vacation for a week so ill mess around with it these days. im planning on releasing a demo of my game for may 10..(yeah mothers day... but it doesnt have a thing in commmon with my mom) lol... and i need the networking functions integrated. ill tell you how it goes later!

hi
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 28th Mar 2010 16:40
henke here is one model to get you started
i created this car for my game , but decided to learn C++/Blender some more in order to really achive something.
so you can use it

here is a photo and a download for the Model

Attachments

Login to view attachments
henke8100
Years of Service
User Offline
Very nice car! Where did you learn that? That should take many days to do.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 28th Mar 2010 17:13
its a simple car actually, low poly it took me about a day.
the textures however took me about 3 days.

blender is a very easy modeling tool once you know it.
henke8100
Years of Service
User Offline
ok, I tried blender a few times, but I am only using "Sculpt Mode".
What tools do you use to create it?

If you want, you could add me at one of these
MSN: hk.henrik@hotmail.com
Xfire: henke8100
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 28th Mar 2010 17:52
main tools
move /size / rotate

Extrude (e button in Edit Mode)
i do all in blender its pretty powerfull.
see youtube for Video Tutorials on how to create a car / man / monster
everything is on the web.
helpfull programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2010 00:23 Edited at: 30th Mar 2010 00:25
Hello, I am currently programming a MMO / MMORPG with multi-sync, the server client structure works and has had 4 people logged in so far here is a picture to show it is possible.

by the way, this is the result of two days hard work so, yes....

Attachments

Login to view attachments
henke8100
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I am almost there... My game and server can connect to each other, and the server knows the position of all players.

Thanks for your reply!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 16:16:14
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 16:16:14