Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Backlash - Not quite a WIP

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2010 01:22 Edited at: 6th Aug 2010 01:23
I was hoping for a little input on the controls for this platformer which is very early WIP.

All input welcome!!

EDIT: Oops, controls are WASD...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2010 03:34 Edited at: 6th Aug 2010 03:44
Dude that's awesome.

Not sure if this is a bug, but occasionally I was able to do a "super jump". Do your mechanics use the timer or something?

Is this an homage to Zool?
Interplanetary Funk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2010 04:33
Loving it. I would love to see this progress into a full game, I think it would make a brilliant puzzler, and the graphics are perfect as they are in my opinion too! (simple is often beautiful). If you do make it into a full game may I make one suggestion? Add a simple world editor so people can design their own puzzles and maps for others to download, I feel like your game has amazing potential to be a consumer content driven product.

Also, may I ask exactly what method you used to get the 2D to work with the 3D?
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2010 04:37 Edited at: 6th Aug 2010 04:38
Nice animation in there. Not sure if this is something you are going to implement but if I hit the arrow keys(it could be others, but those are the ones I automatically tried to use lol.), you get a red blob near the player. Very cool looking demo so far.
@ Planetary funk, I may be proved wrong, but I would imagine he is texturing a 3d plane.

http://s6.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=103081
Zyronagon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2010 04:38 Edited at: 6th Aug 2010 04:40
Dude. That's AWESOME. The controls seem fine to me. The only thing I can think of is that the camera needs to move over so you can see more in front of the character when running. It's kinda dragging behind when you run as of now, Youtube a vid of the platformer Cave Story if you want to see what I'm talking about, that game used it very well.
Also, I noticed a red sphere appear for a split second when I pressed one of the arrow keys.
Besides that, AWESOME job. I can't wait to see more of this project. I love the ninja dude's design.
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2010 08:38
baxslash,
it's really nice,
controls are fine.
i fell off twice...eager to explore that world.

love the main character's look too.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2010 12:26 Edited at: 26th Aug 2010 17:58
Quote: "Dude that's awesome.

Not sure if this is a bug, but occasionally I was able to do a "super jump". Do your mechanics use the timer or something?

Is this an homage to Zool? "

Thanks! Never done the super jump... Yes it uses timer based movement.

Quote: "Loving it. I would love to see this progress into a full game, I think it would make a brilliant puzzler, and the graphics are perfect as they are in my opinion too! (simple is often beautiful). If you do make it into a full game may I make one suggestion? Add a simple world editor so people can design their own puzzles and maps for others to download, I feel like your game has amazing potential to be a consumer content driven product.

Also, may I ask exactly what method you used to get the 2D to work with the 3D? "

Thanks again! I like the idea of making it a puzzler and having a level editor although the 'world' is only a placeholder at the moment.

Quote: "Nice animation in there. Not sure if this is something you are going to implement but if I hit the arrow keys(it could be others, but those are the ones I automatically tried to use lol.), you get a red blob near the player. Very cool looking demo so far.
@ Planetary funk, I may be proved wrong, but I would imagine he is texturing a 3d plane.
"

Yes I am using 3D plains, I'm used to 3D and have been wanting to do something like this using a 2D/3D character...

Yes the arrow keys are for attacking and the blobs are just placeholders at the moment.

Quote: "Dude. That's AWESOME. The controls seem fine to me. The only thing I can think of is that the camera needs to move over so you can see more in front of the character when running. It's kinda dragging behind when you run as of now, Youtube a vid of the platformer Cave Story if you want to see what I'm talking about, that game used it very well.
Also, I noticed a red sphere appear for a split second when I pressed one of the arrow keys.
Besides that, AWESOME job. I can't wait to see more of this project. I love the ninja dude's design. "

I was thinking the same thing with the camera yes, thanks for reminding me! The ninja dude started out as a placeholder as I'm not great at 2D. I was hoping to get some help from someone who's better at 2D but now I'm not sure I really need to...

Quote: "baxslash,
it's really nice,
controls are fine.
i fell off twice...eager to explore that world.

love the main character's look too."

Thanks! I'll build a proper level once I've got the fighting system worked out. I want him to be able to use a sword and throwing stars really plus I need an AI system for the bad guys so there's a lot to do.

I'm really glad you all like it. Thanks for the comments they've inspired me to continue with this!!

Attachments

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2010 12:54 Edited at: 6th Aug 2010 12:55
I think this has awesome potential. here is something the popped into my head when I tried it..

If you darken the whole scene and add a spotlight that follows him it might add some 'dynamics' to the game without too much work. You'll need to ask the 'programmers' here about how to do the spotlight thing. And that name I came up with just leaped off the screen. You are in no way obliged to call the game ShadowSpot. The name just came to me while I was playing the mini demo.

Keep it up, this can turn out to be something of commercial grade.

Cheers!

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2010 13:03
Thanks, I like the idea. I was thinking of having shadows he could hide in etc.

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2010 13:13 Edited at: 6th Aug 2010 13:17
here is a quick semi-transparent circle you can test out as a spotlight,.. note: you will need to place your main sprite on top of this so that he maintains that crisp black shadow look, if you place this over his sprite he'll be kind of lit up and would spoil the effect imho.

Cheers!

edit: having him able to 'hide in shadows' would be awesome.. his blinking eyes then become the thing to watch for LOL

edit v2.0: different color spotlights could indicate 'bad guys', 'puzzle items' etc, just a thought.

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 09:16:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 09:16:29