Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Intel Competition / [Intel Comp 2010] ButterFingers Entry [Joy Ltd]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2010 19:16 Edited at: 4th Sep 2010 18:27
**********YOUTUBE VIDEOS OF PROGRESS*************

FIRST YOUTUBE VIDEO - BASIC EDITOR

SECOND YOUTUBE VIDEO - PLAY-AS-YOU-BUILD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAgK4trL4cI
THIRD YOUTUBE VIDEO - GIBS! ( the link button decided to stop working)

NEW TRAPS UPDATE

SOUNDS UPDATE

FIRST PLAYABLE DEMO!

******IMPORTANT*******
To play the demo on a netbook, you'll need to overwrite the JoyInc Executable with this one
******IMPORTANT*******

Welcome to Joy Ltd. The premier human endurance analysts. Here at Joy Ltd we take pride in pushing human performance past it's standard maximums. We make you a better/stronger/more mutilated person.

Apply today, and take part in the Joy Course. A purpose built excercise/torture course. If you're not happy/severly dismembered by the end of it, we're sure you'll come back for more/go home in an body bag.

Ok, enough larking around. This is my entry. Its a 2.5D obstacle course where you have to get a normal member of Joe Public through a toturous course of acid, spikes, razors , fire, and scientists. Of course, if you don't, there are plenty more test subjects waiting...

The entry comes in 2 parts. The main game which features (hopefully) 20 levels, and an editor so that you can make your own.
Also includes facebook score uploads and (fingers crossed) the ability to share your maps with other users.

Progress:

Design Doc - 100%
Game engine - 0%
Tile Editor - 100%
Tile Editor GUI - 0%
Assets - 40%
Facebook App (for scores) - 100%
PHPscripts for online scores etc - 100%
server for sharing maps - 0%

Here's a shot of some of the assets.

Sleep is over-rated.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2010 19:16
screenshot for above

I want robotic legs.

Attachments

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2010 19:32
Awesome!

Chewy
Years of Service
User Offline
very nice idea and I am loving the art work so far. Can't help but worry that the poly count might be high and textures taking up quite a bit of memory. I would definitely be taking up Daniels offer to test it on his netbook.

Can't wait to see a demo mate!

MjMAC
---------------------------
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz | 2 x XFX 8800GTs Alphadog (SLi) | 4GB RAM
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2010 20:54
looks great, out of interest, how did you do the facebook scores? I've been looking into how to do that with my entry

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2010 21:43 Edited at: 12th Aug 2010 21:49
Quote: "Can't help but worry that the poly count might be high and textures taking up quite a bit of memory."

Thanks, the objects might be a little high poly. to be honest theres only 3K of verts in that screen shot. If anything, alot of it can be optimised later,

with the textures, all the texture maps are 128x128, so that should be fine.

I've got a crappy Advent netbook kicking around here, so if it runs on that, I should be fine!! WOrst comes to worst I'll render them out in 2D and make it sprites instead!

Quote: "
Can't wait to see a demo mate!"

Might be a ways off yet, I'm concentrating on the levels first, then the gameplay - as the only really dynamic thing in the scene is the player.

Quote: "looks great, out of interest, how did you do the facebook scores? I've been looking into how to do that with my entry "

I'm kinda lucky there, the company I (part) own makes flash games and ad campaigns and we've done a couple of Facebook campaigns this year, so the PHP side and FBML side has already been done. I'm going to be honest and say I have little experience of this, our company's facebook programmer (who has experience in DB) is going to take a few evenings to help me get it up and running... I'm hoping that's one aspect that will give me an edge in the comp!

Also, since there has been some issue with gore in my games before, I'm making a "clean" version too. You'll have to enable blood.

I want robotic legs.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2010 02:05
Quote: "I'm making a "clean" version too"

A "clean" version of a people masher... good luck!

Looking great so far though J!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 13th Aug 2010 21:13
I like the gameconcept and the graphics, Butter fingers! This looks great! If it will be as good as your other games, then we'll have some great competition on our hands.
And, from what I've seen from the other entries, this will be an interesting and exciting compo.

Slayer rules!!! Yeaaah, man!
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2010 22:16 Edited at: 13th Aug 2010 22:19
Yay! Progress!

I got the 3D elements loaded in the editor and they're animated if they're supposed to be...Editor process runs at about 33,000K memory(according to task manager) and is a consistent 30FPS on my advent netbook. yay.

Checkitout!

So, with all the elements loading, gotta get the game
engine written and then start making the levels!

Going to be blitzing it this weekend. Should
make some good progress. Fingers crossed for no
show stopper bugs!!
This looks great! If it will be as good as your other games, then we'll have some great competition on our hands."

Thanks dude. I'm really going for the win on this one, but of
course I get the feeling that DarkCoder is entering, which
means I'm kinda trying for first, but resigned to the fact that
I'll probably make second at best!! Gotta respect that guy, but
damn he wins everything!

I want robotic legs.

Attachments

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2010 15:57
Double post but don't care.

Really pleased with progress, editor can preview the level live - video so far-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKSD3e3GT-U

I want robotic legs.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2010 16:25
That is looking really good. I like how you can preview levels with your editor, I'm thinking of going the same route. I also like how objects adjust to the environment, like the lift will only rise as far as 1 grid space from the ceiling, probably makes everything a heck of a lot easier.

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2010 16:47
It would be good if you could keep it family friendly. Avoid using blood and maybe have a mario type character that just get's squashed or popped.

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2010 16:57
Thanks dude! I've learned my lesson with things like this (the hard way). A solid editor might take a while to write, but in the long run it will save hours later. Once the game is written I'm hoping to transfer the basic player code, so you can play test in the editor. They'll be wrapped in the same executable, so you can edit your own maps as well as playing the ones in the game.

Quote: "I also like how objects adjust to the environment, like the lift will only rise as far as 1 grid space from the ceiling,"

It does make things easier, but it's performance too. When a lift is loaded, it works out it's min and max height (same for platforms, ladders, lasers, moving spikes etc) at the load, and saves it to an array, so that it doesn't have to be calculated during the main loop.

Currently a 20x20 map grid with 10 active obstacles takes 1 sec to load and will run up to... 150FPS (had to check). I'm plopping for 25FPS in the final build, which is probably the slowest I can go without the animation being choppy. SHould hopefully give me alot of room for maneuver..

Anyway... back to it..

I want robotic legs.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2010 17:07
Quote: "It would be good if you could keep it family friendly. Avoid using blood and maybe have a mario type character that just get's squashed or popped."

Oh no! There was nothing in the rules about age ratings or anything, and I have spend about 4 hours doing all the textures! Would have been good if that was mentioned somewhere.

After all Rick, the competition guidelines had alot of mention of "death race" and "killing zombies", heck one of judging criteria for standout game element is even "best death scene". Having made a concious effort to conform to the style you infered in the guidelines it would be very unfair if I had to go back and change now!

If you read my first post, you should see that the context is a comedy one. Sure there are razors and blood and acid and crunchers, but the violence is, by context, cartoon. The lead character is not realistic (I'll post once he's textured).

My concept was that if you hit a spinning blade you'll get chunked into pieces, but that it would be hilarious, not gross. I'm even intending to build in a replay feature so you can see the best death scenes over again.

Can you please get back to me on this soon. My design was obviously based on numerous points that you made in the competition guidelines and I don't want to be penalised for doing what you seemed to be asking for.

I want robotic legs.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2010 17:58
I would also like clarification on this because I too was going to add comical death sequences to my game. Like when my character is hit with a spinning trap it lobs off his head in a silly over the top way.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2010 19:08
Quote: "It would be good if you could keep it family friendly. Avoid using blood and maybe have a mario type character that just get's squashed or popped."

I would guess that this is just advice, I'm pretty sure you can put ratings on the game, I can't seem to find the link at the moment though.

The lower the rating, the more people can buy your game.
As far as the competition goes though, they should clarify whether you will lose points for games that need a higher rating.

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2010 22:24
I was thinking more for you chance to sell it to a larger audience. There is not issues with which age rating you set your game up for. We will judge games based on the criteria set in the rules.

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2010 23:13
Phew!

Thanks for the confirm Rick. I'm going to have a couple of game modes, do a kiddy version and an adult version.

I'm also going to look into the ratings system. In the game the player cannot actually do anything violent - only movement.

Again, thanks for getting back to me though, it's much appreciated.

I want robotic legs.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2010 02:50
Death scenes can be child friendly, just look at Watership Down and Bambi...oh wait...they've scarred most kids' lives.

In terms of violence with the traps, it just reminds me of Prince of Persia in some ways, the original and the series that came out later.

But I think if you wanted to have kids playing it, then there's always a tactful way of doing things.

However, I'm liking the looks of this, looks violent enough and has the potential to be quite challenging.

Click!
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2010 03:43 Edited at: 16th Aug 2010 03:45
Sep, thanks man. (my response is off topic so it's going in a code box)

just a point, I appreciate the feedback on the death stuff, but lets keep this on topic from now on... i.e. Joy.Inc!

Anyway, that's all in the future. Right now I've spent the weekend animating the lead character, and getting him functional in the game/editor.

You can now build a bit of level, hit CTRL+P and then play the level live in the editor. Stop, change some bits, CTRL+P, play some more etc.

I haven't done any of the deaths yet - so only falling too far will kill you, but all the rest is done - jumping, falling, climbing/sliding ladders, running, skidding, sliding and (the coolest) climbing up ledges.

There is no collision detection at all, it uses the grid system entirely to calculate the movement.
Youtube video can be found here -
or cut and paste
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqw2R4rlaMQ

(sorry, no demo yet, too much to do, to little time to get one ready!)

I want robotic legs.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2010 04:03 Edited at: 16th Aug 2010 04:04
...I hate you.

But seriously, awesome work. This looks like a lot of fun to play. I'm hoping to see some wild levels.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2010 04:24
I think I have an idea who might get first place...

It's looking pretty smooth from the video, for some reason the character reminds me a little of splosion man. Keep it up dude.

However:

Click!
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2010 19:44
This looks awesome, Butter fingers! Very nice character animation too. I like when he slides and the ladder movement. This will be a hard entry to beat, I think. Well done so far!

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2010 03:33
Quote: "...I hate you.
But seriously, awesome work. This looks like a lot of fun to play. I'm hoping to see some wild levels. "

haha, thanks man, I'll take it as a compliment?! I'm quite happy with it so far, the gameplay is along a similar line to MeatBoy http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/463241
which is pretty hard and has only a simple set of player actions, but builds devilish puzzles and requires accurate timing to succeed.

Quote: "It's looking pretty smooth from the video, for some reason the character reminds me a little of splosion man. Keep it up dude."

Thanks dude. Admittedly it's running on a dual core desktop right now, but it's the first project that doesn't drop a single frame while I'm recording. I haven't played splosion man, I'm going for a more cartoon style with the character. Somehow having him cute makes the deaths funnier.

Quote: "This looks awesome, Butter fingers! Very nice character animation too. I like when he slides and the ladder movement. This will be a hard entry to beat, I think. Well done so far!"

Thanks. Spent all of Sunday doing the animations. Tried to really optimise the anims too, so theres only 150 frames right now, and I'm almost done. Pretty happy with the slide myself! Never done a platform character before so there are lots of new challenges with the animations (I'm having alot of fun making this, can you tell?!)

OK, UPDATE!

So tonight I got the player breaking appart and started to work on some of the hazard collisions. which also means working on the player deaths. I got the saw blade types of hazard working and killing the player, and therefore also got the gibs and blood working with the custom physics.

I have to say I'm really really happy with how it's turned out. wasted a fair amount of time just jumping the poor guy into the saw blades and watching the chunks gracefully fly out (is there something wrong with me)?

[href= http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAgK4trL4cI]Anyway, another youtube update![/href]

I want robotic legs.
MMM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2010 04:59 Edited at: 17th Aug 2010 05:00
I'm seeing some real potential here - particulalry if you're releasing the level editor with the game. The video makes it seem like the jump hang-time is a bit overdone but it's a small quam at this point.

-edited-

Keep it up!

Powerboard Productions
Neodelito
Years of Service
User Offline
wow.. nice idea .. (dam! you have a good work there)..
bloody coool!

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2010 09:51
Lookin' sick as always. I would shorten the time on that sliding animation. It seems way too long and caused you to actually die in the video.

Another thing. The player and his gibs seem to be under some sort of moon gravity. I understand that the player has to jump high to get over the obstacles and whatnot, I would just try to communicate it better. Think about Super Smash Brothers. The characters run fast and jump high but it doesn't seem like moon gravity. It seems kind of powered by momentum. If maybe waved his arms around when he is in the air it'd look better, as opposed to the static floating guy thing. If you have an iPod Touch or iPhone, or if you just wanna look it up on Youtube, look up Cannabalt. It's a perfect example of being able to jump really high but not look awkward.

entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2010 10:49
Really cool game! I'd suggest some checkpoints, however, or it wouldn't really cater to my kind of casual. The lazy kind, that is.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2010 12:25
Quote: "I'm seeing some real potential here - particulalry if you're releasing the level editor with the game. The video makes it seem like the jump hang-time is a bit overdone but it's a small quam at this point."

Thanks, yeah the editor will (hopefully) be part of the game - I don't think I'll have time to do a GUI though, and.. there are some bugs!

You're right about the jumping, it needs some tweaking!
wow.. nice idea .. (dam! you have a good work there)..
bloody coool!"

haha, thanks man!

Quote: "I would shorten the time on that sliding animation. It seems way too long and caused you to actually die in the video."

Good point, I haven't added it yet, but you'll be able to press UP at anytime during the slide to cancel it.

Quote: "The player and his gibs seem to be under some sort of moon gravity."

hmm, I know! I have to admit, that this is kind of my first try at 2D platformers, so I'm still learning. I'm doing the jump gravity/power by setting a value to something like 8 then subtracting 0.3 every update until it's -8, then setting the y position of the player to Y position PLAYER minus that value.
Which means theres a little while around the point when the value is 0 where it gets a bit "floaty".
These are just variables though, so I can tweak it to make it more snappy, powerful etc.
Right now I'm jsut trying to get all the functionality in there, and I can tweak the gameplay a little later. This is in my design notes now though so I'll make sure I come back and play with it.
oh, and Cannabalt was a major inspiration for this...

Quote: "Really cool game! I'd suggest some checkpoints, however, or it wouldn't really cater to my kind of casual. The lazy kind, that is."

Thanks dude. That's a really good point, and one that I totally hadn't considered. It kind of goes against what I'd originally designed - i.e. I want it to be funny and hard (like a.. doesn't matter), but you're probably right, having to start over alot could get really annoying. I'll think about it, and see what the testers think!

Thanks for all the great feedback guys, really helping to make this thing better!

I want robotic legs.
entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2010 13:15
You could always have two modes: casual and hardcore. On Casual, you have checkpoints; on Hardcore, you don't.
Chewy
Years of Service
User Offline
Butter, you managed to run it on your netbook yet?

I am only achieving 30fps my end with less than 2k tris and that is when I ensure there is no processes running in the background etc.

Looking fantastic by the way!

MjMAC
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2010 19:02
Easily my favourite entry so far i love the editor you have created and the whole feel of the game is just amazing. For creating that in such a short amount of time a big well done.

Hope it runs well. I'm getting mu new netbook next week so it will defiantly be something I'm looking into playing after the contest is over.

Best of luck

Mystic Mod - Putting the fear back into sliced bread since 4th May 2010
Windows 7 Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Dual nvidia SLI 9800GT 1GB, 1.5TB Hard disk
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2010 00:57
Progress up date! (sorry no video today, I have to actually go to bed before 2am at least 1 night this week).

So. What did I get done..

Spikes now impale the player.

Acid now dissolves the player down to a skeleton (mwahahhahah).

Gibs bounce when they hit walls.

Blood improved

Sliding can be cancelled mid-slide (thanks Inspire)

Moon gravity fixed a little (I made it more real but it wasn't as fun).

I spent about an hour trying to run it on my Advent Netbook.

Alot of problems. In the end I had to compile the EXE file with the MSVCP71.dll and MSVCR71.dll runtime libraries to stop it crashing - worth bearing in mind if you're getting "illegal operations" on startup. Also couldn't get it to run in full screen at all. Totally hangs. Doesn't matter how I set the resolution, manually or in the IDE settings. Won't work. still, since the resolution rules are changed I can do it in 400x400 as I planned originally (looks cool in a square window since the grid is square anyway).

...and here's the best news.

a 40x40 grid-size game is a smooth 32FPS. Even with the gibs/blood etc, actually hold on, I was running it off a USB stick as well!

YYYYYYEEEESSSSSS. Can't begin to say how relieved I am!

Admittedly the editor drops a few frames when you zoom right out, but that's to be expected - it's rendering alot of polys.

So. All good. The game runs on a netbook (and a low end one at that) like a dream. I'm off to bed happy. see y'all tomorrow!

I want robotic legs.
Chewy
Years of Service
User Offline
Ahh, fantastic news mate, glad you got it running, I would hate to not see it entered into the competition as it is a job well done.

I have successfully managed to optimize things my end quite a bit and im in the process of cleaning up level loading so it's a bit faster. Now I am getting about 60 FPS which is fantastic news. However I do notice a bit of a draw problem with the graphics card, it doesn't flicker or stutter bad, just sometimes the textures as it is being drawn on the screen it kinda overlaps, it's a little hard to explain but it's not something that is going to cause a problem, just downgrades the overall quality of the game play. Though note, the Netbook I'm playing it on is an advent as well and it too is low spec. I'll have to have a look into this full screen stuff tomorrow and see if I experience the same problems.

I haven't got that error your talking about though, either I have the DLLs installed already on the Netbook or I haven't used anything that requires them.

MjMAC
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2010 12:03
Chewy, yeah, I think it must be one of the DLLs I'm using. I suspect it's either the Matrix1 plugin or it could be the font plugin?

Still, as long as someone has .NET framework installed it would work, and I have the DLLs as part of the EXE as well, so either way I'm covered.

I had the same texture issue as you (i think). I'm actually running the game in 16bit instead of 32bit color, as it seems to sort my transparency issues out. Considering how lame the screens on alot of netbooks are, I think they should be more lenient with the resolution requirements.

I worked out why the editor lags - I was printing text at screen co-ords that didn't exist - which always seems to kill the FPS. Made the font smaller and the editor is 32FPS straight on the netbook too.

Boom.

I'm aiming to use a maximum of 70% CPU so I've got another 35% to play with, and I need some memory left over for the sounds... It's going to be a tight squeeze.

I know the code is going to be fine, and very efficient. I've got that side down. Literally nothing is processed unless it is needed.

What I'm thinking is to do what I do with 3D modelling. Made everything the best quality/res/bitrate that I can, then cut it down and optimise at the end.

More updates soon.

I want robotic legs.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2010 15:38
This game looks super awesome, I wanna play it
This and Baxslash's game(backlash) are my favourites so far, hope you can include the editor, if you don't finish it in time you can always update it later with the editor in.

Keep it up, I will probably buy this.

Chewy
Years of Service
User Offline
Good to hear it is working, I am finding more and more that it all comes down to what is running in the background. I have cleaned up a bit more and also made it full screen at the recommended resolution. Achieving between 80 to 100 fps. Though it still has this weird texture issue, the textures look fine, just this faded look where the draw of the graphics looks funny.

To be honest, with this second game idea, I could make it all 2D but I prefer working in 3D. am not the best of artists and 3D kind of makes life easier when it comes to presenting game graphics my end.

I haven't got sounds in yet mind, hopefully you will be able to squeeze them in mate!

MjMAC
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2010 19:00
Just wondering if there is a way to find out how much CPU/memory is available? Would be nice if the game could detect if there is enough resources available to run propperly and hint to open task manager and close some things if not.

hmm.

I want robotic legs.
Chewy
Years of Service
User Offline
Technically you can mate, check the current FPS, if its less than what you are wanting to achieve, you could inform the player to do so that way.

If you have the time, I would also think about maybe creating an optimization process in game, like Battlefield 2, as it loads a level, check for current FPS and scale things down until it achieves an optimum frame rate.

For instance, on a better netbook, you might be able to have anti aliasing turned on and you may get say 60fps. this is above the 30 fps threshhold so you keep AA turned on. however on a less powerful one it achieves about 20fps so you disable it. All this happens while it is loading the level for the first time.

MjMAC
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2010 00:39
This is looking great!! I love the main character too, it's like 'Tony Hawk' meets 'Big Little Planet' meets 'Tomb Raider'!

Can't wait to buy it!!

entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2010 10:13
You can run a profiler, like Very Sleepy (http://www.codersnotes.com/sleepy), to see what functions are taking the most processor time.

Not sure that Very Sleepy is the best one around, but it's free.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 19:05
hey guys,

sorry of the lack of updates, was very busy with real work!!

anyway, i got a bunch more traps and things working, and made a little video.. here you go, wadda you think?!

I want robotic legs.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 20:16
Thats pretty amazing, when you gonna let us play? Showing us videos is just cruel

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Heh, yeah, I think you'll probably win . If is going to be free, a demo?

swis
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 20:48
Looking great!! I like the laser effect best

Softwizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 21:54
Quote: "Facebook App (for scores) - 100%
PHPscripts for online scores etc - 100%"

Awesome, how about putting this on the codebase as it could be usefull for lots of things, as well as some DBPro code to interact with them.

If not now then maybe when the competition closes.

Thanks.

Nothing to see here, move along please.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 22:35
Quote: "Thats pretty amazing, when you gonna let us play? Showing us videos is just cruel"

Thanks man, I'm not sure about a demo yet. Firstly, Its not that functional yet, and I'd need to make a propper level. And secondly, going from how it is, to making a demo that people can play is a big leap!

Quote: "If is going to be free, a demo?"

Again, thanks dude. And yes I will do a demobut not quite yet..

Quote: "Looking great!! I like the laser effect best"

Thanks man, I think I'll use real objects for the lazers though, not really happy with drawing them using D3D. The bit where he burns is really buggy at the moment, but I'm very happy with the effect.

Quote: "Awesome, how about putting this on the codebase as it could be usefull for lots of things, as well as some DBPro code to interact with them.
"

haha, ok, well the company I run has the code and so on because we've done FB games and so on. Unfortunately I can't get the PHP stuff to work with DBpro. i'm going to do online highscores instead and leave out the FB stuff, unless I can find a way around. If I do, I'll stick in on the codebase.

I want robotic legs.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 22:53
It looks awesome, Butter fingers! Really, nice work! Can't wait to play!
Jeez, that little guy is in the wrong place at the wrong time!

Keep it up!

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Game looks cool, for some reason I had a laugh (of enjoyment) when watching the guy burn up in the acid.

Quote: "Awesome, how about putting this on the codebase as it could be usefull for lots of things, as well as some DBPro code to interact with them."

This should help a bit with online high score boards. Its a bit different though, the scores are stored in an online database but are displayed from within the game.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=170586&b=1

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2010 01:58
Quote: "Jeez, that little guy is in the wrong place at the wrong time!"

yeah i feel sorry for the tester dude! basically i want a Cannon Fodder vibe, where each time you retry you have a different person (each one is a different test subject at Joy Inc)... working on a retexturing thing at the moment.

Quote: "for some reason I had a laugh (of enjoyment) when watching the guy burn up in the acid. "

Good! Thats exactly the reaction I hoped for. Something between lemmings, the original Worms and SuperMeat Boy!

Ok So, about a demo...

Here's the deal. Right now there are some things you gotta do between booting it up and playing that are a little complex. Once I have ALL the obstacles and things coded, and I have Sound in there, and menus, THEN I'll do a demo. Promise. But I don't want to put something out before its going to have gameplay that's a litte more representative of the end product. Right now the videos just show features, not the whole experience!!

Thanks for the support tho people, and cheers for the link HockeyKid, very useful!

(gggrrr the shift key on my laptop is dying.)

I want robotic legs.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-12 17:49:26
Your offset time is: 2024-05-12 17:49:26