Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / DarkNet: Connect to Dyn Dns Help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2010 05:47 Edited at: 14th Nov 2010 18:30
I found this website:
http://www.dyndns.com

I started a local server:

I started the client:

I am using
to get the IP address and it work fine. The client just doesn't connect to the Server.

I think this is because it is a local server. I tried:
and it didn't work either. I can't figure out which port to use that DYN-DNS uses.

I can't figure out how to get the server setup.

KISTech suggested port forwarding. I don't know how that works. I have my external IP address. Do you just bind that IP address to a port?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

DigitalFury
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Probably.. I have had hit and miss success with networking using dyn dns myself.

http://portforward.com/

All explained there, can be a faff. Instead of using auto detect in network settings you have to configure your network to use your router for its name server address and open the ports on the router you are using. I'm no expert though by any wild stretch of the imagination. But I have managed to fudge port forwarding to work a few times without knowing all the ins and outs. Had DB work a few times lol and also a small demo on realm crafter which was far more reliable, 100% in fact. Only problems with that was firewall blocking things etc.

Good luck.

http://s6.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=103081
DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2010 22:48 Edited at: 14th Nov 2010 22:49
@DVader - DarkNet solves the whole firewall problem. You might even be able to write something using winsock to by pass the firewall.

Edit: Thanks for the help. I will have to try messin with my router. I just don't know how this would make it easy for anyone who runs the server off of there computer using Dyn-DNS.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Well first off simplest thing is to open a port on the router for udp and tcp, there may be a reccomended one for dyndns I can't remember off the top of my head. You will find some routers actually have a setting to support dyn dns so you can negate the need for the software client you can use and simply put your address in the router directly. I've had it set like that for years now although not used it in all that time lol.
Add a firewall rule (in the router still)to allow your app access from your local ip off your computer. you may not need to do that, but I run a network of 2 or sometimes 3 computers at a time and I need to configure a bit more to make sure it knows which computer to look for when someone connects.
Make sure your Db app uses the same port.
Then, again I'm not 100% sure on a single computer network, I had to configure windows to use a set ip of my choosing say 192.168.0.2 for instance and set the dns server to the ip of my router, which was 192.168.0.1.
This is pretty rough off the top off my head from about 2 years ago now, so I am probably missing something, but it may give you some ideas.

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2010 05:01
@DVader - Thanks for your help. I will try setting it up tomorrow. I figure it would be a lot of setup for Dyn-DNS. Hopefully I can make a tutorial later for my game so anyone can host their own server for that game.
Michael P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2010 12:31 Edited at: 15th Nov 2010 12:33
I don't think you understand what dynamic DNS is

It has nothing to do with port forwarding, you still need to forward your ports as normal. Dynamic DNS just allows you to store an IP in a text address like 'domainname.com'. Rather than referencing an IP address you can reference the text address and if the IP address changes you don't need to change the executable, you can just change the IP that the text address points to.

Port forwarding is necessary to host a server. You can use the Universal Plug and Play module to set it up automatically but it is not very reliable. When setting it up (either manually or with UPnP) you have to forward the external port to a local TCP and UDP IP/port within the LAN. The local IP/port you forward to should be the same one used with mnSetProfileLocal. From within the LAN you should use the local IP/port and from outside of the LAN you should use the external IP/port. There's plenty of information about this on google by the way.

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2010 21:07
@Michael P - I have the Dyn-DNS program running on my computer. It works just fine. I just don't know if I need to set it to an external IP port. What commands do I use to do this using DarkNet?

Thanks,

DigitalFury
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2010 00:59
Dyn-DNS - All this does is allow people to be directed to your IP address when they use your FQDN, or fully qualified domain name. The WAO clients for example connect to alpha.worldsapartonline.net, which points to 71.245.109.155. That's all Dyn-DNS does is keep your IP address current for the outside world to connect to.

Port Forwarding - This is done on your router. Decide which port will be used for your game server, then on your router, forward that port through to your game server. So if your server's internal IP address is 192.168.1.10 and the game is running on port 4000, then when people connect to server.domain.com port 4000, they'll connect to your internet IP address at port 4000, the router will then forward that connection to 192.168.1.10 port 4000 and you're off and running.

For testing purposes, and to connect to your own server from inside your network, you'll have to add a static entry to your hosts file, or if your router acts as a DNS relay you might be able to enter a static DNS entry for yourself that redirects requests to server.domain.com to 192.168.1.10, instead of getting the typical result on the internet that would give you your own external address that you can't connect to from inside your own network.

Hopefully this hasn't confused the issue more...

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2010 04:10
@KISTech - Make things a bit more confusing. lol

Let me know if I have this figured out right:
- mnSetProfileLocal for the server
- Use Port forwarding on the router

I am doing all this locally right now. According to Michael P all I have to do is have the router point to the external IP address (
) and my port: 6789. Is there a command in DarkNet that allows me to do this so I don't have to configure the router?

Thanks,

DigitalFury
Michael P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2010 11:20
Yes you can use the Universal Plug and Play module of DarkNet. The commands are very easy to use, only problem is that its quite unreliable and needs UPnP to be enabled on your router and your computer.

Otherwise you have to manually do it. Port forwarding isn't hard, if you're struggling with it then google search some guides on it.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2010 17:52
DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2010 22:05
@Michael P - Thanks. I will look into it.

@KISTech - Yep. A few people game me this link. It might be worth it later. I might just use what Michael P said and maybe buy their program later.

Thanks,

DigitalFury
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2010 00:02
Don't buy the program. (unless you really want to..)

Find your router in the list and click on it's model number.

At the top of the screen where it wants you to buy their software, click on "Click here to skip this advertisement." in the upper right corner. On the following page click on the "Default Guide" link where it says, "If you do not see the program you are forwarding ports for..".

That will give you step by step instructions how to set the port forward yourself.

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2010 02:36 Edited at: 18th Nov 2010 09:57
@KISTech - Oooo thanks! That would work. I just couldn't find it at first because of the ad and a link you had to click on. Thought the program was the answer.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2010 16:14 Edited at: 18th Nov 2010 16:26
Ah, no should have said the instructions are on the site lol, didn't think about the program ad. The program looks useful but I have always done it manually myself.
I was hoping when I purchased Darknet that it would eliminate the need to set up the router and such, but so far I haven't had much luck with the auto plug and play stuff. I wonder how most commercial games manage it so easily(non server based ones)?
I'm sure Darknet was either due an update or has not long had one, not checked yet though as I am not working on any multiplayer projects at the moment.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2010 18:48
Plug n Pray isn't an easy animal to wrangle.

He'll get it going reliably at some point.

Michael P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2010 19:46
Quote: "Ah, no should have said the instructions are on the site lol, didn't think about the program ad. The program looks useful but I have always done it manually myself.
I was hoping when I purchased Darknet that it would eliminate the need to set up the router and such, but so far I haven't had much luck with the auto plug and play stuff. I wonder how most commercial games manage it so easily(non server based ones)?
I'm sure Darknet was either due an update or has not long had one, not checked yet though as I am not working on any multiplayer projects at the moment."

Quote: "Plug n Pray isn't an easy animal to wrangle.

He'll get it going reliably at some point."

DarkNet did get a big update a couple months ago. The plug and play module in DarkNet can't be improved, plug and play is unreliable because:
1. Lots of routers have it disabled.
2. Lots of routers don't support it.
3. Lots of computers have it disabled.
4. Lots of routers don't properly implement it i.e. they implement it with bugs.

It is more due to the first three points than anything else. It works quite well if you haven't ticked these boxes.

So what I'm saying is that DarkNet's plug and play module isn't going to get any better, because I've already done everything I can to make it work.

But the good news is that I am going to be working on something called NAT punch through which is what is commercially used. Often they use plug and play as a first attempt (because its quick and easy) and then if that fails they use NAT punch through which is far more likely to work.

NAT punch through isn't straightforward and will take alot of work. It uses a dedicated server which helps set up the connection between a client and a server that are behind a NAT enabled router.

Interestingly Skype's solution to reducing costs is to make your computer a NAT punch-through unless you block certain ports - sneaky.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2010 01:18
I suspected the issues with Plug n Play weren't on your end.

Nature of the beast as it were, thus the nickname Plug n Pray..

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 17:16:35
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 17:16:35