Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Having PC Problems... Any Ideas?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2011 06:40 Edited at: 6th Apr 2011 06:40
Hey guys,

So a couple of days ago, i was rendering an image for the March 3D Compo and left my computer running all night. This isnt really anything new, as I have left it running all night before,but not while it was doing intensive work.

The morning after, I turned on the monitor and a Java error popped up (probably totally unrelated). I clicked on the "Cancel" button and my computer suddenly died . I restarted it thinking it was a software problem, but now everytime I boot it up the CPU fan starts spinning wildly fast and the PC dies immediately (before even hitting the logon screen)... any ideas as to what is wrong with it?

Cheers,
Anayar

P.S: System Specs are as follows:
12 GB RAM
250 GB C: Drive
300 & 250 Gig drives(E: & D
Windows Vista
(Let me know if you need anything else )

For KeithC
SH4773R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2011 07:28
Does the bios load? Do you get to windows before it turns off? Have you tryed booting w/ computer cpr? Any bsod?

Maby a virus, it might be a overheated critical component. Or somthing seriously got screwed up :/

My software never has bugs, it just develops random features.
C4: silly putty for men.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2011 09:32
Does it go through POST?

I think the java error is just a coincidence,

And seriously, 12gb of ram?!

The Internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are federal agents
Interplanetary Funk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2011 13:40
Try doing a hard reset on the cmos, there's normally a switch or a jumper on the MOBO to do this.

Get on my level
SH4773R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2011 16:47
Or if all else fails pull out the motherboard emergency battery for reset of motherboard

My software never has bugs, it just develops random features.
C4: silly putty for men.
anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2011 02:48
Quote: "Does the bios load? Do you get to windows before it turns off? Have you tryed booting w/ computer cpr? Any bsod?

Maby a virus, it might be a overheated critical component. Or somthing seriously got screwed up :/"

No, it shuts down even before the BIOS loads now
Nope, didnt get to windows
I have absolutely no idea how to boot with CPR, Im more of a software guy
Cant be a virus since Norton came up clean last time I checked (the night I left it on) and since I wasnt connected to the net...

Quote: "Does it go through POST?

I think the java error is just a coincidence,

And seriously, 12gb of ram?!"

Sorry but I have no idea how to run POST... any help there? I thought the JAVA thing was a coincidence too, maybe just the final straw before something blew?

Heh,Built this PC myself and it is loaded!! Wanted to be able to play Crysis at full

Quote: "Try doing a hard reset on the cmos, there's normally a switch or a jumper on the MOBO to do this."

Thanks Ill try finding this! I cant risk losing ANY of the files on this PC as this is my main office and FPSC Content creating computer and I dont want to start my portfolio over

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
AutoBot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2011 04:37 Edited at: 7th Apr 2011 04:41
POST is the power on self test, it usually automatically runs upon each BIOS boot. Sometimes you need to turn parts of it on, though. It'll give you error info via the onboard speaker, sequential beeping noises. You can look in your mobo's manual to see what these codes mean.

My biggest guess is that the GPU's failed due to too much of a workload, maybe the RAM. Maybe not the GPU since the BIOS won't even work for you. Try taking out the RAM one at a time, see if you can troubleshoot which one has failed (if any). If that doesn't work then it's probably some sort of other component. PSU fail is a possibility too.

anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2011 04:41
Quote: "POST is the power on self test, it usually automatically runs upon each BIOS boot. Sometimes you need to turn parts of it on, though. It'll give you error info via the onboard speaker, sequential beeping noises. You can look in your mobo's manual to see what these codes mean.

My biggest guess is that the GPU's failed due to too much of a workload, maybe the RAM. Maybe not the GPU since the BIOS won't even work for you. Try taking out the RAM one at a time, see if you can troubleshoot which one has failed (if any). If that doesn't work than it's probably some sort of other component."

Will try that Autobot! Thanks and good to see ya round

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
AutoBot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2011 05:23
No problem. Troubleshooting the ram that way should be able to find a bad stick if any, and you should be able to put them all back in and start from square one if that doesn't work. Tell us the results, hope it all works out.

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2011 09:04 Edited at: 7th Apr 2011 09:11
Heres the thing that most ppl dont understand... Diagnosing a puter is like diagnosing anything else: here are the steps that you should complete (UNLESS THE PC IS UNDER WARRENTY in which circumstances you should consult them immediately...) First things first. Power is the first issue. Check if there is power... if there isnt your not plugged in or the power supply isnt working properly.. (use a multi meter...) People like to guess on this.... they shouldnt. This is the first step... If the first step passes this is what you should do: ANYTHING NOT A PART OF THE MB REMOVE EXCEPT THE VIDEO CARD... (and ram) the reason is is because you want to eliminate as many possible hardware problems as possible. If the system boots w/ no problems add in hardware one at a time to detect a hardware problem. With newer oses you should do this before everything: make sure that restart isnt enabled for conflicts... its in control panel somewere.... Use mem test in control panel if possible. If not possible take a stick out and alternate sticks and see if that makes a difference. Ppl blame things on mb or psu alot and in fact they are not always the problem. Use process of elimination to figure this out... (Or tech support if possible) before you jump to conclusions... if your unsure tell me whats going on and ill help you out.

btw here it is again: IF THE PC IS UNDER WARRENTY DISREGARD ANYTHING SAID HERE AND CONSULT TECH SUPPORT....
THEY WILL GIVE YOU A BJ AND PROPER PAMPERING... SO USE THEM... NOT THIS FORUM...

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 8th Apr 2011 09:26 Edited at: 8th Apr 2011 09:34
I agree with half and half of whats been said already,

however no questions were asked, and straight asumptions were made, so I shall hit square 1 for the time being...

A - Is the PC a self built (assuming your not a hardware guy like myself I shall almost assume thats a no) if not then is it a prefab system built from the likes of DELLete (not as in elite but delete as in do not bother going there for consumer computers-business hardware is a whole different ball park) if you had it made from a local pc shop this still counts as a prefab... did you have a friend make it for you? or was it a hand down/buy off of someone/bought from ebay etc...?

B - Did you try anything said already?

C - If B = Yes and Solved = Yes - GO TO --->Do not bother reading further...

(hahahaha go read the anti anti go to thread for the joke there in C)

D - I forgot what I was going to write here after writing so much in A so just feed back more detail and perhaps a pic of the pc either open case if you have opened it before or if its a clear panel that would be ok, need an idea of the space inside, sounds like you got a DDR3 system as DDR2 is overkill for 12gig, DDR3 is cheap as chips atm...

E - How long have you had it for? Do check your warranties... hope you kept your receipts and packaging if any...

F - GL

G - Hope this helped, Over and out (for now)

EDIT

Corrected Typo

Also could you give GPU Specs and Motherboard model and BIOS revision if possible, also your PSU make and model too, (a whole system spec wouldnt hurt to diagnose any inferior hardware more likely to be more guesswork lol not that this is my point)

Vista... 32bit? 64bit? Starter? Home Premium? Professional/Enterprise? Ultimate?
(I know the 32bit/64bit question is rather dumb noting you have 12gig of memory making the assumption that you have a 64bit OS installation a default... but that doesnt mean you might not be running 32bit lol - Believe me I do come across this with some clients that bring their pc's to me for repair and I find this being the case regulary, (example 8GB in a pc running 32bit software...why o why... oh well makes for fun conversation for me)

anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2011 06:45 Edited at: 10th Apr 2011 09:03
@PrimalBeans: Thanks for the insight man, I really appreciate it! Helped make what the others were saying clearer

Quote: "THEY WILL GIVE YOU A BJ AND PROPER PAMPERING... SO USE THEM... NOT THIS FORUM..."

@MrValentine:
Let me answer your questions in order-
1. Yep, Built this bad boy myself. Its cobbled together from an AMD Mobo, Nvidia Graphics card, and a couple of hard drives.

2. I just got home (its friday here), Ill probably be trying out all these extremely helpful ideas over the weekend

3. Ill try out these ideas and let you know. If it doesnt work ill post a pic. for you Also I have Vista 64 bit Home Premium.

Thanks for all the help guys... hopefully I can get it working this weekend

Cheers,
Anayar

System Specs:
NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT
-Windows Vista Home Premium (64 Bit)
-DirectX 10

12 GB RAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 500+

For KeithC
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 9th Apr 2011 06:48
{looks at cpu and turns face away in disgust )
just kidding, but yeah post back and GL

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2011 14:05
heres my guess... psu.. just from the nature of the failures... does the load up make it farther somtimes then others?? That willbe key there... other then that another thing to try since its home built is making sure none of the mb screws arent grounded that shouldnt be..

charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2011 14:11
Your computer is probably overheating. You should clean dust out of your fans and try again.

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2011 07:00
Logically he wouldnt be overheating if the processor isnt on long enough to get to temp.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 17:03:16
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 17:03:16