Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Terrain Maker / Generator and then walk on it

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2011 23:31 Edited at: 21st Aug 2014 03:49
EDIT UPDATE : 8.20.2014
Go here for the code. It's page 3 of this thread...

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=188775&b=1&msg=2259759#m2259759

END EDIT UPDATE

Hey guys, as a noobie I found it hard to find something like this so I wanted to share it. Its VERY rough but it does work.

I found a few example source code around this forum to get me off the ground and with some meticulous surgery I was able to make this work.

Its for those who just need to know how to generate a heightmap and then walk on that same heightmap. I might be using this for a future game. But I have a long way to go with that idea.

Certain credits go to the following people :

Original Code from ATARI ST (France)and modification for Dark Basic by Arcadia. I then modified it even more and most of the original code is gone. This is where I got the idea and info on how to generate a heightmap.

I was searching Heightmap loading and came across a thread where chafari found some code so I utilized what he found and adapted it. Slowly it will be modified over time. I hope to add full WASD support.

EDIT : Just informing you that the Heightmaps it generates is 256x256. Not only does that load quickly on my dual core laptop, but it can be modified to allow more then one Heightmap to be generated at a time.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2011 23:32 Edited at: 1st Sep 2011 06:14
Since it wont allow me to add a picture to the download button, here is a picture of it so far so that if you get this far you know your doing something right.

Also, if the heightmap exists already, the program will show your text of your frames per second in white with transparent background. If you see it Blue text with red background, then it means it generated the heightmap. I threw that in there so I can see it working. You can even delete the Heightmap and restart the program and it will recreate a new one with a new heightmap generated.

EDIT : Make sure to scroll down if you want the latest code.

"Son, I crap bigger then you !"

Attachments

MummyKillerSLO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2011 23:54
I've made little game, how you import heightmap and walk on it. Hope that helps

Happy to having and using DarkBASIC Professional...

Attachments

JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2011 03:32 Edited at: 1st Sep 2011 06:14
I tried it. Nice how little code that is too. I'll replace some of my code with that and that will make my code smaller too. Also, with what you have and that Heightmap generator, it should be able to run pretty fast.

Thanks again.

Mugen Wizardry
User Banned
Posted: 30th Aug 2011 14:54
You might also wanna stop the movement from shaking.

CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE AT http://imageposeidon.com/ !
JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2011 15:16 Edited at: 1st Sep 2011 06:14
@ MW Shaking ? I do not see any kind of shaking from his code or mine. Please explain what you mean.

Mugen Wizardry
User Banned
Posted: 30th Aug 2011 15:17
When you move, there is a LITTLE shake that I noticed. Wobbling like a small, 1.5 on the richtor scale shake

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2011 15:22 Edited at: 30th Aug 2011 15:22
You get taller when you get on top of a hill. I suppose the bumps could be like walking... shaky cam.

Mugen Wizardry
User Banned
Posted: 30th Aug 2011 15:22
For a CAMERA. But picture the camera as an object.

JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2011 18:10 Edited at: 30th Aug 2011 22:10
@ MW Yea what your walking over is the individual bumps of the terrain. Keep in mind, I never really scaled the Matrix well enough.

Here is an updated ZIP file with all the code better set for walking. I utilized MummyKillerSLO WASD commands as well as the camera interface and I still kept the Matrix terrain. The reason I wanted it to be a matrix is because its easier to manipulate later on. As a Terrain its not so easy. At least not for me that is. X and Y and Z on a matrix though, pretty simple concept. This way, if I want to dig down an area to be lower in the game, I can. Also makes it easier to position objects dynamically. Also I scaled the Matrix to be a tad bigger then what it was before.

Big Thanks goes to MummyKillerSLO for the WASD commands.

EDIT : I understand what you mean by camera shaking. Its the up and down that jitters when you walk. I'll see if I can find out the problem there.

Attachments

JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2011 18:12 Edited at: 30th Aug 2011 21:23
In case you needed to see an image of it after it created a fresh terrain ( matrix ) here is a picture.

The Heading by the way is to show which way is north. Eventually it could be utilized to show the actual words North, South, East, West.

Sorry for double post guys. This is the only way I can put a picture here without using another website, since there is no option to attach more then one picture or file at the same time.

Attachments

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2011 19:52 Edited at: 30th Aug 2011 19:54
That's a big picture. All I can see is a little corner of it on my 1024,768 screen. The biggest you should post is 800*600, but about 600 wide is better.

JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2011 21:24 Edited at: 1st Sep 2011 06:14
Sorry about that. Its fixed now.

EDIT : Also here is an updated picture of what I have done so far with that code. If you all want this current code let me know and I'll post it for download. I'm just not posting this now because I don't want to double post anymore then I have. But if you do want it, then its not double posting.

EDIT 2 : Make sure to scroll down if you want the latest code.

Attachments

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually that would look good in my tree generator. I would like it.

JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2011 23:24 Edited at: 1st Sep 2011 06:13
Oh wow, a tree generator, I would love to see it. Anyhow, here is the download.

Couple things to note. I set this up so that it can have a HUGE world. I still have yet to fix the name of the map file to not be so long in case the file name gets too long. I am going to convert the numbers to a HEX code that the program would understand. The world itself can get HUGE once I set this up to handle extra maps as you walk around. That is yet to come.

Example of what I mean is instead of it labeling the file name heightmap-234234-234353535.bmp it will be in hex meaning that the file name will max out at 4294967296 tiles times 4294967296 tiles = a HUGE World. But the file name would look like this -- heightmap-392FA-DF7F37F.bmp ( This is heightmap-234234-234353535.bmp ) but the max file size would be a name like this heightmap-FFFFFFFF-FFFFFFFF.bmp which the file size for the name of the file would be only 31 characters long. And it can be shrunk more by just naming the file FFFFFFFF-FFFFFFFF.bmp. ( 21 Characters max )

This program also will see that the Map folder is missing and create it. Meaning it will create the first map - heightmap-0-0.bmp.

Another issue I am trying to solve is the ground jitters. Not sure why its doing that yet.

Other then that, here you go, enjoy.

EDIT : I forgot to mention, the reason I set it up to FAIL if the media folder is not there is because its looking for a texture inside that folder. If the Media folder is missing, then there would be no textures anyhow. So I saw no advantage in running the program or creating the media folder at that point.

Attachments

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, this will look really nice.

JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2011 23:36 Edited at: 1st Sep 2011 06:15
Hey thanks and please, show me a screen shot.

Eventually I hope to add blended textures for more realism.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2011 00:15 Edited at: 31st Aug 2011 00:19
When I loaded it up, I found that it is not set up for just a mesh, and fog. It's a complete terrain system. Stripping it apart would take an hour, so I will have to leave it out. And I don't know how to get docked functions on the screen either.

JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2011 00:18 Edited at: 1st Sep 2011 06:15
Actually, I use the Matrix system. All you need is to pin point your X,Y and Z relative to the Matrix Terrain. Should be pretty simple. The variables are xPos#, yPos# and zPos#. Then again, I am not sure what kind of tree / trees your trying to setup. So I guess I cannot say. lol

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2011 00:21 Edited at: 31st Aug 2011 00:22
All I need is the matrix, and the texture, and the fog. Then load it, and put the trees on it. I don't really need the functions. I like function on screen, because the last time I tried docked functions they disappeared. I don't really want to risk using them.

Mugen Wizardry
User Banned
Posted: 31st Aug 2011 00:26
At least this demo doesn't hurt my eyes XD

JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Pincho, we must be talking about two different things. I do not have a GUI for this. Those are what is Docked on screen of which I do not have in this program yet.

As for matrix I was only referring to the Terrain itself. Hope that clarifies what I meant.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2011 00:50 Edited at: 31st Aug 2011 00:50
The program uses all these functions...

gp()
set text size 30
center text swidth / 2,sheight / 2,"Loading Map(s)..."
sync
mapnameis()
sav_img$ = currentfile$
createhmap()
clors()
playinthedirt()

and I just need a stand alone program, without any functions. Because I already have another program ready to put the matrix in. To combine the two programs makes it too big, and waiting for the map to build takes too long. I stripped it down, but couldn't get the functions out of it.

JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2011 01:06 Edited at: 31st Aug 2011 01:08
Yea the gp() checks Path of the program and checks if the media and the Map folders are there. If you dont need that you can remove that.

The mapnameis() checks for the name of the map name. That also is not needed as a function if you want to just copy what is inside of the function into your main page at the top. Just make sure to set it up as global. You can name it anything you want, just make sure its saved in the variable currentfile$ and then sav_img$ = currentfile$ under that.

the clors() can be taken out completely. All that is for is your text color, transparency.

the playinthedirt() is what you NEED to have because that's the whole reason for this program. Its what sets up your terrain ( matrix ).

The at.dba and water.dba are the two files you can remove. But make sure to take care of variables in those files first. ( Although water.dba has nothing in it, so it can be removed without a glitch )

the terrain.dba is NEEDED and functions.dba are needed. Those are what hold the terrain generation as well as terrain setup.

They are also setup AS functions to make it easier for you to just call them.

The at.dba is just a main file. You can use your own main file and just use the info above to integrate what I have into your project.

Also, remember, those DIMs and Globals are NEEDED from that at.dba file, which is why its there. ( Some of those can be removed, but not all )

If you have some example code your trying to mix with what I have, I might be able to help. I'll leave it your call. But I wont be able to get to it for a few hours. Wife got home, so I am taking a break and then I'll check back here and see what you want to do.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
What I meant was, I just need a backdrop, I don't move around or anything. So I am wasting your fully working program by using it as a backdrop.

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2011 03:43
Nicely done, JackDawson! A good alternative to BlitzTerrain for people who don't want to shell out

Very cool!

Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox
www.msoa-game.com
www.facebook.com/malevolencegame
JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2011 04:25 Edited at: 1st Sep 2011 06:16
@ CQT Hey thanks man. Yea I was not sure how this would turn out. But so far it does what I need. I could not have done it without everyone on this forum though. I had to examine how people wrote their code to get an idea of how this works. Open Source Rules !!!

@ Pincho Ahhh now I get it. Ok here you go. This works. And I even have a picture of it to show it working. You should be able to integrate what you need here.

Also, you'll need to line up the camera. All the parameters are there, so you should be able to edit them manually. I left them all at 0.

Enjoy.

EDIT : Make sure to scroll down if you want the latest Active Terrain code.

Attachments

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2011 05:03 Edited at: 31st Aug 2011 05:04
Lol.. with a mesh, and fog. and no functions. I'll make one when I have time.

JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2011 05:08 Edited at: 1st Sep 2011 06:17
Actually the Fog is there. The Mesh... hmm.. you mean as in ground right ? That's exactly what my program did. So now I'm confused in what your wanting. I mean the only thing you could take out of my program was the movement and the folder / files verification and the text color function. Everything else would be needed.

And if your wanting all the code on one single file, that's not a good idea as you can get lost in a program really quickly if you ever had to edit / change anything later on.

Its why I separated everything into separate functions. I learned that in my Assembly Language days.

EDIT : I just replied to your other thread about it. It finally dawned on me what your wanting.

DennisW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2011 19:07
That looks great but I too see a little shaking going on when I run across the terrain. The code that I use for that is

Ham and Eggs Breakfast
The Chicken was involved the Pig was Committed
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2011 04:59
Hey Jack, here's an update to your source to fix the jitters problem.

- Included TBM for movement
- Made the movement happen to the camera directly
- Increased the amount the camera angle movement was divided by (makes it less jumpy)

Attachments

JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2011 05:55 Edited at: 5th Sep 2011 08:00
I am grateful for the help guys ( girls ). Thank you guys so much for the help and ideas and feedback. This has really been helpful in many ways.

And thanks for the timer function KISTech. I am definitely keeping that.

Here is the NEW updated working ZIP file. The camera Jitters seam to be fixed so far. It turned out to be the Terrain. If you stretch the terrain too much it causes the matrix to be unstable. So the camera was "falling" into holes in the terrain. Weird. Anyhow the camera was doing what it was supposed to the whole time. So now its working, and I can finally move on with this project. Again, thank you all for the feedback.

EDIT : As of this time, it has a shadowing problem. I have addressed this issue here.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=188950&b=1

Its why you see the two blocks and sphere. Its more to show the the creators of DarkBasic Pro the bug I found and what happens when the FOG is on and when its off. The fog being turned on changes the color of the shadow to the fog color. If the fog is off, the shadow displays normally. So its a bug I am hoping they can fix soon.

Attachments

JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2011 04:36 Edited at: 7th Sep 2011 04:38

Ok guys, I am currently using Version 7.61 of the compiler for DBP. My code has been updated to work with that version and now the fog and shadow bug is not a problem in my code. You can even run the EXE with everything running right. Here is a ZIP file to get the latest. If your using the lasted "BETA" compiler of DBP version U7.7 you will see the bug and there is no way around it yet.

The next thing I am going to be adding is water, rotating sky ( day / night ) and then I can move on to more realistic ground textures.

I hope the new ones can use this code to get started with.

Cheers

"Life is like a box of chocolates.. eat it before it melts."

Attachments

chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2011 14:16
@JackDawson

I'v got 1.074 and your code works perfect. I don't like updating with each new upgrade Programs. I've been more than two years with this 1.074 update, and I don't even know what's new in latest updates. .

I've noticed that you are using a scaled texture in your terrain. Don't you like to use a single big one?

Cheers.

I'm not a grumpy grandpa
JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2011 15:18 Edited at: 7th Sep 2011 15:20
Good to know although that's older then my version. I am trying to stay up to date with features that require the newer versions. The reason I needed the newest version is because of some of the code that I have tested on this forum, would not compile until I got 761 or newer. KISTech and I already been through this conversation on that one.. lol

As for my texture, I am going to be changing that. I needed something temporarily. And I would rather scale it and repeat it instead of setting it as one big texture. When I get to the point of blending two or more textures together, I still plan on scaling and repeating while I blend it. If I use one solid texture, then I would only be able to use that 1 texture with only 1 terrain. But I plan on having my terrain generator, generate more then one.

chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2011 15:42
Another important thing that you could update in your terrain, is collisions, where you have to walk around some places instead of going through. If some parts of the map are too height, we shouldn't go through it.

Cheers.

I'm not a grumpy grandpa
JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Can you a take a screen shot ? I have not gone through anything yet. So it would help me understand what your seeing. As for collisions and physics that is waaay in the future. But I do plan on adding it.

Cheers

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2011 17:29
If you're using Sparkys collision and your terrain is an object then you can setup the object as a complex object for collision. I should have an example out soon, just mixing textures together at the moment inbetween suffering with major pain in my back... Ouch!!!

Warning! May contain Nuts!
JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
No, I'm not using any plugins. I'm trying to stay clear of as many plugins as I can. But thanks for the idea though about converting Matrix to Object. I might do that. Not sure yet.

chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2011 20:09
@JackDawson
Sorry for the misunderstanding, your code works right, what I mean, is that you could add collision in order people can't go in straight line forcing them to go for another track. Take a look here:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=126897&b=6

Cheers.

I'm not a grumpy grandpa
JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Bro, that is genius. I will definitely look into using that. Perfect. Thank you.

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2011 21:14
Using a matrix for a terrain will give you benefit of finding the height of any particular part. That will help in avoiding using a collision system. But then again using a collision system gives you the benefit of grouping objects and having just one check against all object in your scene, terrain, trees, blocks, etc and not having to check each individual one.

JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Pretty much yea.

What I am doing is testing a theory to see if any plugins are needed, or at least to see if this is possible with the least amount of plugins. What I have so far that is needed is the Matrix1 Utils, DarkBasic Pro and the upgrade 1.0761 version. That's all I have installed. This all came with the Advanced Terrain functions already and it works. There are even collision commands I am looking at. So I am getting closer and closer to my theory to be proven right all the time. And with chafari's helping code, I can set the camera to check its surrounding if I do it right. ( Making a routine that checks for particular angles )

I'm like you WLGfx, I'm very determined to see this through.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2011 22:38 Edited at: 7th Sep 2011 22:58
Are you trying to make a landscape with no plugins? Because you can make a terrain without the matrix plugins. DB Pro has a make matrix command.

JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
I already have. If you looked at the code I am using you will see that I am generating a heightmap and saving it to the hard drive, then calling it into the program, then creating a Matrix and the matrix gets setup from that heightmap.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2011 00:02 Edited at: 8th Sep 2011 00:05
What is matrix1 utils used for then? Because if this is an experiment, I have programs here with no utils from 1999, before utils were even around. I just tested one with a matrix, and ground height, and a texture, and it works ok.

JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2011 00:14 Edited at: 8th Sep 2011 00:20
Matrix1 Utils is a set of plugins where all the extras come from. This was recommended from everyone on this forum that I get if I want some of the nice commands to work. Its not a terrain making utility. But some NICE commands come from that. Here is the link. It also has the ability to allow you to see keywords in it for your IDE. ( NOTE : My use of the word "I am not adding Plugins" is meant for those plugins like BlitzTerrain etc. The Matrix1 is a set of plugins that is free that made DarkBasic Pro easier to use, so a lot of people on this forum add those because its constantly getting updated and fixed. So I do not really consider those "extra" plugins and they do not need to come with your program either. That's the nice part about it. )

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=85209&b=18

Also, I am finally going to add EVOLVED's water shader to my next update of my code. And the nice part is there is no extra plugins needed for it. Coming tomorrow or the next day.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about the experiment. Just make it look nice.

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2011 02:37
I reckon me, Jack and Pincho (as some old folks on the TGC forums) get a game going... (email me)

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
So long as I can do it between my big project. I only have time to do graphics at the moment.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 16:32:56
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 16:32:56