Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Happy Anniversary ADG!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2011 12:18 Edited at: 16th Nov 2011 23:03

The 17th of November marks the anniversary for the App Developers Group! So Happy Anniversary ADG!

As we are a group of developers, in order to celebrate, we are hosting a few competitions.

Coding Competition - Epic Destruction
So you think you can code ehh? Blow us away with the most destructive scene you can possibly create. Sound too easy does it? Well here's the trick, all media must be created using native commands, no external media allowed. Now it becomes a challenge! Got what it takes? Well let's see it! Here are the details for the competition. You will need a developer's account to submit your entries so you can create one here Good luck to all contestants and a special thank you to The Game Creators for their gift vouchers.

ADG Wallpaper Competition
Want to show off your graphical skills and prove that you know your image editing suites like the back of your hand? Well create the most dazzling ADG wallpaper you possibly can! Details here.

Feel like a laugh?
Everyone loves to have a good time at a party and so if you're after a few laughs and a bit of fun check out and contribute to our Just for fun thread. Also feel free to post a few jokes in this thread but keep 'em clean...I have friends in high places.

Today also happens to be The Slayer's birthday so wish him a good one and bring a long plenty of these . Happy Birthday The Slayer!

So come along and celebrate with us! Share a few jokes, drinks all around and good luck to all contestants! Everyone is invited to this party!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2011 15:17
Happy Birthday TheSlayer!

...and Happy Anniversary ADG

Some great prizes up for grabs in the wallpaper contest. I'll let TheSlayer release the full details when he's ready.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 16th Nov 2011 18:45
Happy Anniversary ADG!

Quote: "Happy Birthday TheSlayer!"

Thanks, bax! Just two more days to go. Well, for me one day actually.

Quote: "I'll let TheSlayer release the full details when he's ready."

Done!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2011 05:11 Edited at: 18th Nov 2011 05:12
Oh I see, this forum has forgotten how to party has it?

Well atleast IanM knows how to have a good time in the relaxation suite of his moon base.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2011 15:55 Edited at: 18th Nov 2011 16:05
Hi guys!

Here's a small card trick game I've made in AppGameKit for fun in about 2 hours!

Download!

Enjoy

EDIT: Fixed a small text bug and added the source code...

Attachments

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2011 18:33
Back at ya, your code, different card trick. I'm impressed, your code was easy to understand and alter.

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2011 21:29
Nice! Subtle trick... I normally put remarks in throughout my code but I wanted to get it finished quickly

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2011 02:24
@ Baxslash: neat trick! Very clever!

@ BatVink: I will admit, I had to take a screenshot just to make sure but that is a very awesome trick on the eyes!

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Missed this, not on the forums as much of late. It's been a year already? Time flies past so quickly! Happy anniversary ADG!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2011 16:56
Indeed, very nice tricks bax and Bat! Love magic tricks.

Quote: "It's been a year already? Time flies past so quickly! Happy anniversary ADG!"

Yes yes, it does. So, make sure you check out the great prizes we offer in our ADG competitions HERE and HERE.

@DVader:
It seems you still have the old AppUp banner as your sig. We no longer are called 'AppUp Developers Group', but 'App Developers Group'. The newest banner can be found here at the bottom of the first post.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2011 06:14
You guys still haven't fixed the game list in the top right part of the page.

Software Engineer - Metamoki
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2011 06:39
Quote: "You guys still haven't fixed the game list in the top right part of the page. "

It's funny because we keep meaning to do it but its priority keeps sinking down to the bottom. I had a go a few days ago at it and my solution didn't quite work. We are actually looking at a new system now.

Btw, you need to play a little bit more PS3 Jeku.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2011 09:42 Edited at: 21st Nov 2011 09:43
Quote: "You guys still haven't fixed the game list in the top right part of the page."

I had a go too with a really cool 3D slideshow, but it's flash so it won't run on iPads. It's at the top of the "Games" page if you're interested...

HERE...

We keep trying new solutions, I'm not sure why that thing doesn't work. I might have another go soon but web sites are not my speciality

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2011 09:45
Quote: "I might have another go soon but web sites are not my speciality "

Sith Lords are my speciality.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes I still haven't got round to changing my sig, one of those less important priorites that keeps being forgot or put off. I notice BatVink has a similar condition to me in that regard, probably for the same reasons I will get round to changing it soon, very soon indeed.
I have seen the compo's you mentioned, the wallpaper one is probably not one for me. I might have a crack at the destruction one though. I keep thinking of what I could do in agk and have played about with a vague idea of what I would like to try.
I also, recently had my main hdd fail on me and I have ended up losing several projects. Fortunately, I sent Froggit off to baxslash a day or so before, so that isn't lost. Nearly all my other projects have been however, although I have an older version of the shooter I was working on, so it's not a total loss. The perils of hard disk failure! The price of Hard drives are just ridiculous at the moment too, I think my computer waited on purpose for the perfect moment to fail!
Ok I'm off to double check the rules and stuff for the compo

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2011 23:33
Quote: " I notice BatVink has a similar condition to me in that regard, probably for the same reasons "

Yes, if anyone can sell me 30 minutes then I'll use it to make the change. A 24.5 hour day might help me catch up!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2011 01:03
Quote: "I will get round to changing it soon, very soon indeed."

Sweet!

Quote: "I have seen the compo's you mentioned, the wallpaper one is probably not one for me."

Hum, you never know, right?

Quote: "I might have a crack at the destruction one though."

Good luck!

Quote: "I also, recently had my main hdd fail on me and I have ended up losing several projects. Fortunately, I sent Froggit off to baxslash a day or so before, so that isn't lost."

Ouch, sad to hear that, dude! Glad you still have earlier versions of your games, but still, it's no pleasure to have to redo all that hard work.

Quote: "Yes, if anyone can sell me 30 minutes then I'll use it to make the change. A 24.5 hour day might help me catch up!"

Yeah, time is not always on our side.
Make the changes whenever you can, and if you don't find the time, send the images to me, and I'll do it for you.

Cheers

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2011 01:10
@ DVader: didn't you read my post which is right above yours? *activates dual lightsabers*

Quote: "I also, recently had my main hdd fail on me and I have ended up losing several projects."

That's no good at all. I hope you didn't lose too much.

Quote: "Ok I'm off to double check the rules and stuff for the compo "

Good luck mate!

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
@hodgey. We Sith get a bad rep. After all, I am the Daddy of James Earl Jones career, and get to star in TV adverts, long after the films were launched. How often do you see Luke Skywalker doing TV ads?!!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2011 10:05
Quote: "I also, recently had my main hdd fail on me and I have ended up losing several projects. Fortunately, I sent Froggit off to baxslash a day or so before, so that isn't lost."

That's bad new DV!! I'm so glad I have Froggit already... now where did I put it... just kidding Seriously though that's bad luck my friend, I feel for you.

Quote: "How often do you see Luke Skywalker doing TV ads?!!"

He did do "Wing Commander III"... now there was a game!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2011 11:22
Quote: "How often do you see Luke Skywalker doing TV ads?!!"

Never, but I also never see Darth Vader do ads either. I guess I did my job too well.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2011 17:34 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2011 17:42
Lol, I'm on telly every day at the mo at least here in the UK :p PC World or Curry's, couldn't say which lol, there's proffesional ads for you. All I remember is Darth Vader chopping some birds fringe off
Wing Commander 3 on the 3DO is my fave space shooter even today! Strangely the PC Version didn't seem right when I got it free with my Creative Labs DVD drive. Even though it used the creative DVD decoder card for quality movie scenes. I seem to remember the 3DO version let you boost thrusters and then twist and strafe etc using your momentum, good for capital ships. Most modern games tend to just fly forward regardless, or at least the ones I have tried do.

I THINK my version of Froggit is up to date. I had just gone through the code changing variable names and such before I sent it to you. If it is an old one I'm sure you can mail me the latest back.

Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2011 22:30
Quote: "..PC World or Curry's, couldn't say which lol"

Same thing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXcoIN6tqXY
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2011 22:59
I've never seen those ads. You see what happens when you guys are in a country surrounded by water and seemingly isolated from the rest of the world? That's why you should move to Australia, civilization central.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2011 23:18 Edited at: 25th Nov 2011 23:24
I didn't want to say but I don't think it's actually James Earl Jones doing the voice...

OMG this one is SOOOO much funnier!!!

I just peed my pants... R2D2 gets jealous...

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2011 00:05
That says everything I need to know about PC World/Currys. The guy in charge of service is someone who failed to complete his Death Star - twice

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2011 10:50
Quote: "The guy in charge of service is someone who failed to complete his Death Star"

But that's not How It Should Have Ended.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2011 11:14
The Curries/PCWorld boss is a man who tortures his own staff, finds them highly expendable and is focused on completely destroying all of his foes and wants total domination of the market. As a consumer I find his ethics just to be completely appalling and do not feel safe walking into one of their stores for fear of being forced against my will to buy their products. Nor would I wish to apply for a job there because the phrase "boss is going to kill you" is not meant figuratively.

I don't think the PC World/Curries adverts send out the right messages.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2011 11:52
@ DVader: I think Seppuku is a little dissatisfied with your service.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 09:21:37
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 09:21:37