Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Feature Creep / MP3 Integration?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Perhaps we should have the ability to use MP3 files alongside .OGG and .WAV files. Not only are they more commonly used, but I think for our developers, it would save lots of time having to convert the files and stuff like that.

What do you guys think? Personally, I think its a good idea to use MP3 files
Pariah
Years of Service
User Offline
oh wait, nevermind, plz delete this thread. I just saw this on the WABP board.

Soz. :3
maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2012 14:40
mp3 is has a real crappy quality/size relation against .ogg (not to speak of .wav^^). i would stay with oggs (wich is an open-soruce standard for musicians/technicians, wich do normally the sound in a pro-development).

mp3 is okay for crappy earpads for a crappy mp3-player or mobile, but not worthy for nearly professional music-editing or good hifi-sound, there are better formats out there for this. best: waves and oggs.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 7th May 2012 23:35
To top off what Maho said...

.mp3 has a licence restriction whereas correct me if I am wrong... .ogg has none.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2012 05:26 Edited at: 10th May 2012 06:57
Quote: "mp3 is has a real crappy quality/size relation against .ogg (not to speak of .wav^^). i would stay with oggs (wich is an open-soruce standard for musicians/technicians, wich do normally the sound in a pro-development)."

Most if not all pro bands release mp3 downloads, never heard of them ever using ogg...though I might be wrong but as far as it goes its mp3.
Mp3 and ogg are compression formats, wav is the original uncompressed file format.
This is how compression works for sound....the top and bottom frequencies are shaved off and some little from the middle this reduces sound frequency range resulting in less bandwidth which ogg actually compresses further than mp3 hence the sound is NOT better TBH
The ratio of WAV to mp3 is around 10% on average so a 40Mb file is reduced to 4Mb, ogg is maybe reduced to 3.5Mb dependent on the bit rate.
If the quality of mp3 you have heard is crap its because the person who compressed it didn't know what they were doing.

Mp3 as stated above is not used in games because of licensing restrictions, though you will find that FPSC can already use mp3..or at least it used to.

Awesome! Its one of those threads.
maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2012 10:31 Edited at: 10th May 2012 10:33
heared on a studio-system and even medium-good hifi systems, the ogg-compression is much more selected, holding up the peaks in mid, low and heights wich results in a clearer (=better) sound.
mp3 is flatening all down to a big soundpump focused on a fat lowrange (fraunhofer´s intention for optimizing to portable hardware wich where earpads at the time it was published), not differencing anymore in mids and heights. its also a statement by pro-musicians i know that the difference is the used algorhythmn for compressing. nowadays its simply the industry-standard but not the best out there (as v2000/betavideo had much better quality than vhs-tapes "back in the old days", used by professionals but nearly not for public.)

but you are right, the main reason is the license.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually I stand corrected on this one, reading up on it it seems that ogg does indeed have more clarity at higher bit rates. Its believed that portable players dont support ogg vorbis though many do,they just dont say it on the box, so mp3 has retained its monopoly in that market.
I still have to say though that its a bit misleading to describe mp3 as real crappy compared to ogg when to most listeners its negligible, particularly when used in a game.

Awesome! Its one of those threads.
maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2012 16:13 Edited at: 10th May 2012 16:20
Quote: "I still have to say though that its a bit misleading to describe mp3 as real crappy compared to ogg when to most listeners its negligible, particularly when used in a game.
"

right, but thats also the problem i see overall nowadays.
how to really enjoy a great game with 22khz-pads on my 12"-pad (best: with musicvolume turned off^^)?
no feeling, no emotion that can be transported anymore, only blingbling and superficial senses for the next 5 minutes of attention span.
its a nogo trying to produce a game with bad sound-equipment, no one here would try using fpsc with a monochrome monitor.^^ it works more or less, but its far from being in any way practicable to produce something of quality.

but i am out of the generation still buying CDs (or even better vinyl), not only for covers but also for better sound (risk today because most of the newer cds contain 32khz mp3 instead of 44/48khz wav^^). dont want nice looking but crappy worked and sounding BEATZ by dr. dre when i can get a sennheiser, shure, beyer or even a sony for less than half the price.

quality & time to enjoy > fast & cool and 5 seconds later gone in mind. but as said, thats a question of choice and zeitgeist.

dont get me wrong, i have also mp3 at home of sounds i dont get in another way, but when i have the choice, i would kick them and use waves (or ogg). just for explanation @ Pariah.

gz

ChrisCross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2012 16:36 Edited at: 5th Sep 2012 20:43
It all comes down to the file structure. An mp3 file is a series of ones and zeroes, and it takes a certain amount of ones and zeroes per second (e.g. 320kbps, the current generally compatible high end) WAV files, on the other hand, take a snapshot of the waveform at a certain quality per snapshot, and a certain number of snapshots per second. (e.g 16bit [the quality per snapshot] by 44.1 kilohertz [how many snapshots per second]) Basically, because WAV takes a snapshot of the actual waveform, and doesn't try to save the whole song as just a series of ones and zeroes, it captures the dynamic range and clarity much better. Yes, WAV is a larger file, but that's what FTP's and Mediafire are for. Having mp3 support wouldn't do much for the already lackluster FPSC sound system.

Art challenges technology, and technology inspires art. -John Lasseter

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 15:58:52
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 15:58:52