Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / using FacebookPostOnMyWall() on Android?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 15th Jun 2013 04:44
which commands need to be called before this can be used?
does FacebookSetup() need to be called? Do I need to register my app with FB or anything?

thanks

note: I'm using AppGameKit 1.08 Beta 13, Tier 1

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2013 05:25
You will definitely need to set up with Facebook if you want to use any of the Facebook commands.

And it requires a lot of artwork. Fortunately, you can make many of the images required by just resizing the artwork you would have had to do for Apple.

You will need to call the FacebookSetup() command with the id provided by Facebook. Then you call the FacebookLogin() command. And then call GetFacebookLoggedIn() until it returns 1 (-1 is an error).

After that, you can use FacebookPostOnMyWall(). And I need to find the sample code I had for testing this to tell you what each of the parameters means (since the help page is missing the information).

Any posts you make will only appear in your timeline and not visible to anyone else until the app is actually published and made 'live' on Facebook.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 16:06
Please let us know how the Facebook approval process works out for you. I started it with dFenz and gave up because I just didn't want a "post to facebook" button in my app that only posted on the users wall privately (even if it was temporary). My next game will require FB features so I will have to go through the process. I'd really like to hear of any challenges you have. Screenshots of the FB application form would be helpful for the community too!

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 17:53
Well I have my WIP at the stage where I just need to hit the 'Submit App Detail Page' in the developer's setup for an Android app.

But, I need to get the WIP done and submitted to iOS and Google before I can complete the process.

Facebook won't even let you start an iOS app until you the App Store ID from Apple for it.

Most of the bits used to set up a Facebook Android app will use the same data as for other submissions: lots of different text fields (different lengths allowed) to describe the app; contact info (including a web site with privacy policy); and lots of different graphics.

Fortunately, most of the banner and icon graphics are just different sizes of the same one. Some new graphics had to be created for different display ratios.

I think I spent most of one day getting all the text and graphics done.

I was able to test in the sandbox and then managed to delete my test app! Sometimes cleaning up is the wrong thing to do. (And, yes, I also emptied my trash on my Mac Mini.)

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 18:03
Quote: "I was able to test in the sandbox and then managed to delete my test app! "

!!

Yeah Facebook wants a ton of images. I got pretty tired of trying to make new, well designed, images for dFenz. Every store wants something different. I think AppUp was the worst on this because they wouldn't allow portrait oriented images.

I'm pretty sure you also need your app to be published in Google Play. dFenz was published at the time and they rejected it because they couldn't find a FB button in the game (it wasn't there because I'm stubborn). Which means you should probably make it quite visible from the landing page / main menu of your app until the FB app is approved. So something that only shows when you've attained an achievement or high score might be grounds for failure just because they don't take the time to find it (understandably). There also didn't appear to be any way to communicate with them. If anyone finds out a way to communicate with them that would also be helpful to know.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 18:38
Yes, I do need it published in Google Play before it can post things that others see. But at least I was able to test because I had a Facebook ID for the app.

On the subject of Facebook login buttons. My daughter pointed me at Candy Crush Saga as a great example of game monetization, which it is. And it is very clearly a Facebook connected app (and fun to play). I went searching for the button and finally found it in the Settings pop-up menu.

So, thankfully, this doesn't need to exist on the main page or where it is an annoyance.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 19:02
Sorry for not being clear. I'm sure the button CAN be any where you want it. I was suggesting that during the approval process you might want to make it very visible since it appears to be difficult to communicate to the FB developers to tell them where the button is. I'd put it up front for them so they can test the functionality and then remove it after review so that it is only where I want it.

If someone goes through the approval process with the FB integration buried into the app (as it should be to make for better immersion) then I'd love to hear if they had any trouble with the process. It just seemed to me that there was no way FB played through my game to check to see where integration was.

Speaking of well monetized games if you've not checked out Temple Run or Puzzles and Dragons, I highly suggest it. These are so ridiculously successful it gives me true hope on my own games (not dFenz ).

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 19:24
I have Temple Run on more than one device. But I haven't played with it enough for it to start asking me for money.

Unfortunately, I can't think of much that can be monetizable in my current WIP. Oh well.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 19:26
We didn't think so either in our current WIP, but we just completely changed our monetization model and think it will be much more successful with it. Feel free to email me if you want to discuss ideas.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2013 05:12
I'm thinking I might just use OpenBrowser("http://www.facebook.com/") and let them post whatever they want, hopefully it'll still get some promotion

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2013 19:00
Here's something I found when working on the Theory app we did, you can open a browser with a specially crafted URL that will take the user to a webpage where they can login to Facebook and post without needing the Facebook SDK in the app
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2013 03:11
on a similar note. For Google Play, you can get them to write a review easily by appending &write_review=true onto the end of the url, ie:
OpenBrowser("https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joshwebsites.DodgeThoseBalls&write_review=true")

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 07:03:44
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 07:03:44