Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Swype on Android

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2015 15:14
Has anyone figured how to get swype text input to work in AppGameKit Tier 1 on Android yet? There's a vast Swype user base for whom AppGameKit apps will not work if they use text input functions other than a custom built keyboard.

Swype appears to work on EVERY other android app (that I have tried at least) that uses text input so it can't be that difficult to figure out. AppGameKit appears to accept only single character input rather than the string. If you swype a word, AppGameKit ignores it.

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2015 17:26
This issue is as old as the hills... As I no longer use Swype, I Kinda assumed this was resolved long ago, but guess not Hopefully Paul will see this thread and put on his list for v2...

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2015 03:06 Edited at: 10th Apr 2015 03:07
Alas no. There are many thousands of people who use Swype as their preferred form of text input, and it works on every android app requiring text input APART from anything created with AGK. This is a showstopper for anyone wanting to create an app that requires text input on Android (using the standard text input method rather than a custom keyboard at least).

Personally I would like to attempt my own chat app, but cannot without having to re-invent the wheel with a custom keyboard.

I'm sure it would take Paul a matter of minutes to resolve this issue. I found some example code on how to resolve it via a quick search, so it can't be that big a deal.

The issue is that Swype allows the user to write complete words and not just individual letters, so there's a buffer. AppGameKit is only getting a single character and not the whole buffer string (I think).

Similar issue experienced (and resolved) here: [href=http://www.iopixel.com/blog/keyboard-input-with-ndk/
]http://www.iopixel.com/blog/keyboard-input-with-ndk/
[/href]
I know it's not a priority, but I really hope this gets fixed.

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2015 03:55
I don't know of a way to fix this, we use a NativeActivity rather than a Java activity which rules out any Java base UI features, at least I've yet to find a way to integrate them.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 02:35:43
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 02:35:43