Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Level Editor like Placement Editor from AGK 1

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello guys i work on an mac and search an agk 2 level editor like the placement editor from version 1.0. Is there an free or commecial solution to Placement Easy objects in my level. Or just with codes?

Thank you in Advanced for your answer.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
we need something professional like this for AGK...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I0g-t0nZ-qE
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2015 14:22
Overlap looks great. Often considered making something like that for AppGameKit but not had the time or the right gui tools. I might have a play with overlap to see if it can be used for AGK...

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Overlap is opensource Baxslash
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2015 11:18
Ok, loving the output and functionality for Overlap2D. I'm going to build a set of Tier 1 commands for loading scenes. The format for the LibGDX particles is pretty basic so I'll be adding my own particle system that will create something very close to what's in the editor. Finally I have a great idea for a lighting shader and possibly shadows similar to the Box2D lighting here too

First things first I'm going to start the scene loader. I'll post something in the showcase board when I have something useful.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2015 11:37
Hey baxslash that would be an interesting project as that overlap editor seems pretty good.

The Amiga and Amos were great!
Download my game - Paint Pot from Amazon and Google here - http://leap.my-free.website/
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2015 22:18
I have my Overlap2D loader loading basic sprite data, converting atlas text files into subimage text files at runtime and all basic sprites positioned as they are in the editor.

I am part way through loading composite objects (grouped sprites). Then I'm probably going to work on my particle code and lighting shader as I reach those items in the example export from Overlap 2D. This should be fun!

Paronamixxe
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2015 22:58
baxslash for tgc-forum-president-2015!

cheers
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2015 00:24
Let's not go crazy

I do intend to share the code though

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2015 02:24
Well done baxslash, AppGameKit master

Download my game - Paint Pot from Amazon and Google here - http://leap.my-free.website/
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2015 10:31 Edited at: 8th Apr 2015 10:32
Here's a quick screenshot of the default scene that comes with Overlap, as you can see not all of the sprites are there yet because composites are not loading yet:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2015 10:34 Edited at: 8th Apr 2015 10:35
Here's the full scene in Overlap2D:

Attachments

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2015 10:45
This is really useful stuff. I hadn't heard of Overlap2D until this thread. Now within days, it's looking like a viable and extremely important piece of kit.

Good work!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2015 11:20
I think if I can get the lighting and particle system right it could be really useful. The tool itself is great and seems really easy to pick up. It even got me tempted to learn Java and pick up LibGDX... another very useful toolkit (and free). However I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with AppGameKit for a while yet so I figure why not try getting this tool working for AppGameKit users. I quite relish making the particle system and shader for lighting anyway

My Json parser is coming along nicely but I came up with a slightly better method last night that I'm replacing the old parser with next. Not a major rewrite.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2015 11:49
Hi baxslash, this is great news that you are working on this. When you release it I will see if I can port it to tier 2, it's something I would really like to do, but depends on how much time it would take. Although you are doing all the hard work of course

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2015 12:56
It would be much easier with native Json commands. I'm having to parse the files manually... the order of the objects in the json file is not very logical either. Getting there though

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2015 15:17
Like BV; I'd never heard of Overlap, but I'll be taking a look at this. I had coded my own placement editor within my current game, but it was a pain to integrate, but having an external editor would be great!

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "t would be much easier with native Json commands. I'm having to parse the files manually... the order of the objects in the json file is not very logical either. Getting there though"

Since Overlap is now open source (I haven't looked at it yet), would it be easier to edit the exporter to export a more AppGameKit friendly format?

Sean

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2015 16:31
Quote: "Since Overlap is now open source (I haven't looked at it yet), would it be easier to edit the exporter to export a more AppGameKit friendly format?"

Possibly but I would rather just finish what I've already done. I'm most of the way there anyway

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2015 17:25
You are doing some great work here baxslash, very impressed. Would be good to see the particle and lighting systems in place.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2015 17:34
That's the fun part. I'm looking forward to that too

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2015 18:55
I have list of tools that I want to write for AppGameKit and a level editor similar to this was at the top of the list. However, this is showing so much promise that I might have to consider removing it from my list now.

Good work Baxslash

AGK V2 user - Tier 1 & 2
Scotty1973
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2015 19:58
Super Baxslash to the rescue!!!!!

Your work is looking good and this will be a great addition to AppGameKit and make the creation of games faster.

Really looking forward to seeing and using it!!

Keep up your great work!

Scotty
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2015 12:28 Edited at: 9th Apr 2015 12:30
Getting there... but I'm still having trouble loading some composites. The logic is bizarre. Might be easier with a proper json loading system or a little more object orientated programming in AGK. Would be so nice to be able to have an array of "object"

Anyway, I have more images pulling through now and getting sick of this problem so I thought I'd work on the particle effects next:

Attachments

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2015 13:21
What OOP capabilities would help? Methods in objects? Overloading?

<<It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.>> Dijkstra
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2015 14:11 Edited at: 9th Apr 2015 14:18
Just being able to have an unspecified type array would be great.

For example if I could set up an array like this:

Then be able to add items like this:

Then I could run through items and check them using something like:

I'd like to be able to take it even further and test UDT's too:

Man, that would be so handy... and don't say I should move to Pascal I didn't like it as much as I'd hoped.

Quote: "<<It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.>> Dijkstra"

I take that as an insult by the way I started in Basic over 30 years ago... mind you I was a Blacksmith for a long time after that! Maybe Basic sent me back to the dark ages... literally!!!

Edit: His algorithm pretty much mutilated me too...

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2015 15:00 Edited at: 9th Apr 2015 15:02
Quote: "I take that as an insult by the way I started in Basic over 30 years ago"

Same here, I wrote my first game in Microsoft Basic 1.0 on a Dragon 32, when you had to type the mandatory line numbers! That was exactly 30 years ago, when I wrote a Tron Light-cycle game.

Now I use C# and Java quite proficiently, amongst various other languages.

Back to the problem in hand...Can you have a master array, that references other arrays of different types? e.g

arrMaster[1].type = \"Actor\"
arrMaster[1].index = 3

which refers to element 3 of the arrActor array.

I know it needs a lot more supporting code, but it may help to manage and iterate through entities

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2015 15:27
I have a pretty good system set up now. It's not terribly neat but I'm improving as I go.

The whole thing is scary big already but relatively robust. I'm quite pleased with the particle system so far. I'm trying to make it completely separate from the Overlap2D code so it can be used on its own as well.

At the moment it only takes about 1.8 seconds to load the default scene including media. I'm pre-loading the atlas files so that'll only happen once anyway. It will also be possible to have multiple scenes loaded at once so you can fade between scenes. You can even set the background depth of each scene. Should be pretty useful.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
You rock,baxlash! I likewise wish AppGameKit would support native JSON parsing (surely it shouldn't be too big of an undertaking for TGC given the variety of open source C++ JSON parsers out there including jsoncpp). AppGameKit would go a long way forward just by adding a few missing elements that are taken for granted in most other languages, also including sqlite and all the GL spec blend mode options...
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2015 10:32
I started on the LibGDX particle system last night and have the reader and data structure up and running. It took me quite a while to get the Particle Editor that comes with LibGDX working as it won't run on the Java version I currently have installed. The examples that come with Overlap only have a single source emitter but some explosions and other effects could have multiple emitters so I need to make one so I can test the output. I'll post the LibGDX particle system as soon as it's ready.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2015 13:30
Great work here!

A few points:

Dijkstra would have been delighted to find he had offended you. He disliked FORTRAN and COBOL and OOP. His main thrust was the need for structured programming. He hated the use of GOTO statements - which, for the record, exist in Pascal and C as well as BASIC. Some great quotes here: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Edsger_W._Dijkstra

Some degree of the OOP things you suggest might be possible in AppGameKit BASIC. All objects in any OOP-capable language are structured. The massively improved types in AppGameKit 2 and memblocks make it more realistic to achieve this. Object methods compile down to a jump table internally, so an index into a case statement covers that.

<<It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.>> Dijkstra
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2015 14:31
Just created a new thread so I'm not hijacking this one any more! http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=214164&b=48

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 00:03:33
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 00:03:33