Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / MAGIC WORLD - finally, I've released the source code!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 00:08 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2004 00:11
Hi there!

I never realised people still knew about Magic World since I made it so long ago (and it was my first ever program), but I just looked on the showcase page here and it's been downloaded over 10000 times! Blimey.

Anyway, as promised, but much LATER than promised, the source code for it is now online. The showcase entry on this website has NOT been updated yet - for some reason I cannot access it - but you'll find it at:

http://www.robinking.com/allseeingi

... along with Total Terrain and a very early game demo. I'm not sure how much bandwidth I've got on my hosting company, so if a whole bunch of you download it my website may shut down! Hopefully I'll be able to access the showcase entry here and upload it here for you.

If people make the program compatible with current versions of DB, upgrade it etc, I'd love to hear about it. BUT!!! Please don't email me large files. Email me links to where it can be downloaded from, with a short description of the updates, and I'll put links on my website. Hopefully I'll still be credited for the foundations of the work on any updated versions!

My hope is that a group of you will take it on and update it together, but in any case it's yours now to do with as you will. Enjoy!
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 00:32 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2004 00:36
Wow, that's very decent of you. I'm sure I'll learn a couple need tricks while others will learn some too.

This is definitly worth a look for anyone.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 01:39
Thank You!
I may have a delve later. I'm using MW to create test scenery for my current project. One thing I want to do is group objects for use with the NG Collision DLL (waypoints, terrain, obstacles etc), so I might update the code with this feature.

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 02:11
Thank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank you. MW was a solid and feature-filled program to being with, and I will definitely take a look at the file, maybe a feature that changes heightmaps into matrices, that would be awesome.

Thanks again!
Crazy Donuts

Juvenile Industries
Current Project: KillZone(FPS)
Soon to come:An rts, and a snowball fight game
Travis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 09:48
youThank
JPcreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 22:12
Thanks to Crazy Donut Productions
everyone should learn from his source!!
It's really good!!
Thanks again!!!!!!!

http://www.outwar.com/page.php?x=1931457
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 22:18
Downloading immediately.

This was, IMO, the best amtrix ever for DB. It was so much easier than others (I never got matedit ).

I hope a pro version is in the works

"They misunderestimated us" - George Bush
"The box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed LINUX. "

Formerly David89.
Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 22:40
I've always really liked much the functionality of Magic World, but never used it because it didn't suit my needs of being able to edit really large heightmaps (1024x1024+). Now that you've released source, I think I may try to remold the program to fit my needs.

Of course I will keep you posted about my progress.

Thank You!!

Mr Tricks
Years of Service
User Offline
Yarbles, maybe you could try Total Terrain (comes in two flavours - 1.0 and 2.0) which are dedicated heightmap progs rather than world builders. Again, downloads on my site and they're free for any use.
waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 08:49
I use the main app as is with DBPro, with only slight modifications on the import code. I would detail these mods (they are really very minor mods that most anyone should be able to figure out) but I customized the import code to ignore features that I do not wish to support.

The most obvious mod was to convert static objects to clone objects.

internet gaming group
current project http://home.comcast.net/~norman.perry/Archon.html
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 14:01
Very nice of you Mr. Tricks Im sure many will learn from your code Im interested in a few little tricks you had in MW

Thanks!

We need help! Email us! join@eternaldestinyonline.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 05:44:36
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 05:44:36