Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / The Alchemists Apprentice

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2005 16:20 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2005 00:00
There is still a couple of things I want to do before this is complete but I thought I would post here because a download is now available and the things left to do will not affect gameplay at all. So it is as good as finished.

All I want to do now is find some better music because what I have doesn't really fit with the game and put in some kind of animation for when you complete a level.

You can find instructions and a download link from my site click here or alternatively I would recommendclicking here for a direct download if the freewebs one fails (which is a high possibility).

Please post comments and bug reports here.

Thank you

Vues3d on Kalimee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2005 22:55 Edited at: 31st May 2005 22:56
Looking excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm downloading it right now

ERROR 404 on the site!!! :-(

Guido
http://www.vues3d.com
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2005 23:06
Vues - grab it from here:

http://www.freewebs.com/scraggle/alchemistsapprentice.htm

Two Worlds and in Between
Hot Metal and Methedrine
Vues3d on Kalimee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2005 23:30
Works... seen after a while that there was two links on the same line!
But seems that the bandwith is quite slow...
But I'm patient!

Thanx!!!

Guido
http://www.vues3d.com
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2005 23:50 Edited at: 31st May 2005 23:57
The only thing I can even comment on would be to make the Hand Icon more of a glove or more midevil looking (but that is REALLY being picky). The reason that is the ONLY thing I can think of is because it is a fantastic looking game. Best of luck on the competition!

P.S.
As a side note, I was also taking a look at Kiss My Asp. I really like your font engine you got going there, any way you could share some of that code?

-This...is my boomstick!
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2005 03:05
Apologies for the bad link ... it should be OK now.

As per Cellbloc Studios request I have changed the hand to this:

As for the 'font engine'. I will dig it out for you ... give me a mo.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2005 03:18 Edited at: 1st Jun 2005 03:21
Here it is:

As you can see it is a very simply sprite display function.

I used this code to call the function to display the High Scores:

If you wanted to use this code then you would have to ensure that each character has an image number equal to its ASCII value+2000 or change the +2000 part of the functions code to then numbers you have.
BmtCount is obviously global and is used as the sprite numbers for all the fonts.

I delete the sprites once they are no longer needed.

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2005 06:31
Thanks Scraggle!

I was thinking for the hand more of a hand with a "Robe" type thing, but the claw hand looks better then the Micky Mouse pointer.

-This...is my boomstick!
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2005 05:15
I have got another link available now Click Here to download it directly.

Many thanks to Mnemonix for hosting this

I could really do with some feedback on this though ... anyone?

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2005 00:20
My pleasure.

All of my reactions to playing this game were positive. You have got good gameplay and nice puzzle elements, in a sweet looking and RESPONSIVE game environment. Alchemists Apprentice is certainly of high quality.

WE SHALL BECOME ALL POWERFUL! CRUSH THE LESSER RACES! CONQUER THE GALAXY! UNIMAGINABLE POWER! UNLIMITED RICE PUDDING ! ! ! ETC. ! ! ! ETC.! ! !
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2005 07:45 Edited at: 12th Jun 2005 05:37
I am going on holiday tomorrow for 7 nights so I thought I would make my latest version available to download.

Version 1.1 now has many different animations which occur when a line is completed including a slightly controversial Pacman animation. I say controversial because I am not sure about copyright infringments. I decided to include it anyway and let the forum members decide if it is OK to leave in or not. If not I will remove it. Please try it and let me know what you think.

The same music is in place which I am not very happy with but it is very difficult to find free, royalty free music and then even more difficult to find music that fits with the game. So, for now it will stay.

The volume levels aren't right yet either but that will have to wait until I get back and I still haven't got round to putting in any end of level animations but that will also have to wait.

Please download and let me know what you think of both the game and the Pacman thingy.

Thanks

Click my banner to go to my website where you can download The Alchemists Apprentice v1.1 (the links above are for version 1 only)

Or click here

BaZko
Years of Service
User Offline
Didnt play the game yet but the screenshot has very nice graphics.
How did you make them?
Great job!
Ali
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 05:28
I tried to run this game but got an error because d3dx9_24.dll is not installed. This is obviously a DirectX DLL, but I have the latest version of DirectX installed and I've got WinXP Pro, so there's no reason why this should come up.

Any ideas?
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 05:32
Scraggle needs to recompile, thats all. He is on holiday at the moment but I will explain the situation to him when he returns.

WE SHALL BECOME ALL POWERFUL! CRUSH THE LESSER RACES! CONQUER THE GALAXY! UNIMAGINABLE POWER! UNLIMITED RICE PUDDING ! ! ! ETC. ! ! ! ETC.! ! !
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2005 19:15 Edited at: 20th Jun 2005 19:16
Hi ... I'm back

But I see we have a problem

I am aware of the problem but I don't know what to do about it. If I compile the program on any of my computers it will work on any of them but not on my father-in-laws. So I installed DBP on his computer and compiled it there. It then works on his computer and on all of mine.

Obviously there is something on my machines which is causing the problem but I don't know what it is.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Has anyone actually downloaded this and got it working? thanks

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2005 20:04 Edited at: 20th Jun 2005 20:05
Quote: "the screenshot has very nice graphics.
How did you make them?"

It's all done in Photoshop. Most of the shapes are standard Photoshop shapes the others are downloaded from 'Adobe Studio Exchange'. Then I applied 'styles' to them and adjusted the blending options to my liking.

It's all very easy when you know how and great effects can be achieved with just a couple of clicks

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2005 23:52 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2005 00:01
Hi,

I have been working on the compatibility issue and I believe I have it sorted. You can download the latest version by clicking here.

Please try it and let me know what you think ... especially if you have downloaded it before and not been able to run it.

Thanks again to Mnemonix for hosting the file

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2005 00:34
My pleasure.

The Ringmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2005 01:45
This reminds me of another game, very much like yours. Its called Alchemy. If this is a remake, great job! If not, meh. Anyway, I downloaded it and got it running. Also, I reckon that you should add more symbols for the cardy-tile things. Its too easy.

Other then that. Great job!

Clouds float the exact same way bricks don't
- Douglas Adams
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2005 09:27 Edited at: 7th Jul 2005 09:58
Thanks for the input!

There has been soooo... many views without any positive or negative feedback I really appreciate any news what-so-ever!

Yes .... it is a remake of Alchemy, thanks for noticing As for the 'it's too easy' comment ... I find it very difficult getting past level five! ... if that is too easy for you then you should have no prolblem reaching the top of the high score table. So, maybe you could give some tips to people that are not finding things so easy.

Thanks again ... Scraggle

[edit]
Quote: " Also, I reckon that you should add more symbols for the cardy-tile things"

There is a new symbol and a new colour added every level, so things get more difficult very quickly! I find level six quite tasking but maybe there are stratagies that I have not considered.

P.S. ... posted after a lock-in at the local pub ... please forgive any spelling or grammer mistakes ...Scraggle

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2005 09:34
Hey Scraggle, can I review this game for the first edition of my indie game dev. newsletter?

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2005 09:43
Of course you can!

I would be flattered that you would consider it for a review ... good or bad, I don't mind. Good would be better of course.

I will be seeing you at the convention in November but please don't let this influence your review

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2005 05:58
Isn't this already a game on Yahoo?

PETA - People for the Eating of Tasty Animals
AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2005 07:10
Hmmm, yes, I get the same identical DirectX error. I'm running Windows XP Pro with all updates, + DirectX 9.0c is what dcdiag is reporting. So everything up to date. My machine does not have DarkBasic installed though.

As far as what I can see from screenshots though, it looks excellent!

P4 2.4Ghz HT, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB, 19" Samsung SyncMaster 997DF, 80GB HD

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2005 00:30 Edited at: 10th Jul 2005 00:31
Quote: "Isn't this already a game on Yahoo?"

Possibly ... I haven't seen the Yahoo version. I based my idea on the Popcap game called 'Alchemist'.

As for the DirectX error ... I have no idea why it is happening! The only person I know that has got it working on their machine is Mnemonix.

I wrote this for the puzzle compo ... if I still haven't found a solution to make it work on everybodies machine before the deadline (18th July) then I will release the source and media alongside the .exe ... that way everyone should be able to run it.

I believe that is within the rules ... but I'm not sure. Rule 8 reads .... You must submit a compiled game, we will not compile source code for you. No EXE, no entry. If I include the EXE that I know works on some machines then I think I have satisfied that rule.
Rule 15 ... You do not have to include the source code for your game. But that doesn't say you mustn't include it. So again, I think I have satisfied that rule also.

I will still try to get it working on all machines first though ... just not sure how

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2005 16:31 Edited at: 14th Jul 2005 16:33
I have uploaded the source code and all associated media as well as the exe. So now if you can't get the exe to work you should at least be able to compile it yourself and get it working that way.

If you've tried my exe and got the DirectX error but can run it OK by compiling it yourself I would really appreciate it if you could let me know ... Thanks

Click here to download
As usual, thanks to Mnemonix for hosting

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2005 02:23 Edited at: 15th Jul 2005 02:26
I have now written a PDF manual and tutorial which can be downloaded by from my site.
Click on my banner sig to get there

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2005 07:00
I like this game! Very well polished, smooth, and it obviously needs a technique that I haven't worked out yet

My 2 points for improvement:

1. The music gets a bit wearing. It has a certain "like it or hate it" groove. I can't line dance.

2. It flickered on me every now and then. Don't know if this is dodgy coding, or something out of your control?

So far (out of 3 games played) this is my number one. Well done!

BatVink
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2005 16:07
Thanks for the feedback BatVink

1. I couldn't agree with you more ... I am not keen on the music either but I can't make my own, so I have to rely on Royalty free stuff and most Royalty free music on the internet you have to pay for, which I wasn't willing to do!
You can always turn off the music in the options screen and leave the sound effects on or click on the mute button at the bottom to turn off all sounds.

2. I don't know what that is. I haven't encountered any flickering.

Number one eh? Thanks very much

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2005 18:32
Quote: "I am not keen on the music either but I can't make my own"

I got the "Sound Essentials for Video" DVD off the site, that has some fairly decent, generic backing tracks. The second one is far better than the first.

BatVink
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2005 06:07
Thanks for the tip BatVink

I have just purchased Volume 2 ... sadly it wont be with me in time to change the music in my game before the compo deadline so I guess I am stuck with the old music for now

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2005 13:27
Great game and graphics. I liked the sound effects too. I do suck at it but I want to get better so I'll check out the PDF.

Good job this should be a winner.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2005 19:19
Quote: "Good job this should be a winner."

High praise indeed ... thanks very much

Sound essentials arrived in the post this morning, 34 hours too late to change the music in my game. I will change it anyway but obviously not in time for the compo

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2005 08:40
The Sound Essentials DVD has no music tracks on it!

It has some interesting sound effects and some loops and samples to make music with but no actual tracks. It is still a good CD and a worthwhile purchase but it doesn't help me.

However Mnemonix offered me a track which kind of worked but it gave me inspiration! Classical music! Bach has been dead for a little while now so I don't think he would mind too much if I used some of his music and I think it works very well.

Unfortunately it is too late for the compo but I have put it in anyway. It's not in the download yet ... I will let you know as and when. I am still going through the Sound Essentials DVD and changing some of the samples in the game to more suitable ones

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2005 09:26 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2005 09:34
Hi

New version available. Using the same link as before (this one).

There is better music in this one and some of the sound effects have been changed.

If you have not yet voted in the puzzle comp then please try the official puzzle comp download first. It would not be fair to vote on this version as it was completed after the deadline.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 18:05:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 18:05:10